• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

joedick

If anybody is on the fence about a 3DS, Future Shop is offering Mario Kart 7 or Super Mario 3D Land free if you pre order the pink system.

So I'm in a lean management class right now and the current operations/shipping manager of Purolator is the one teaching. I just realized how much GAF hates Purolator for their shitty service. Want me to ask any specific question or provide any specific comments? :p

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
So I'm in a lean management class right now and the current operations/shipping manager of Purolator is the one teaching. I just realized how much GAF hates Purolator for their shitty service. Want me to ask any specific question or provide any specific comments? :p
I don't really have a problem with them since I'm less than 5 minutes away from them so it's quick/easy to pick up a missed drop-off. The only frustration is when drivers don't ring the door bell, especially when my car is in the driveway and it's obvious I'm home.

Takao

Banned
How strict are EB Games about the "instructions" policy in regards to trade-ins? I'm planning on trading in Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Tetris Axis, Dragon Ball Z: Raging Blast 2, and New Super Mario Bros. for the $100 off Vita thing. The problem is that while I have the box, and the inserts for NSMB, I don't actually have the instruction book. I could trade in Mario 3D Land or something else though.

Ramblin

Banned
I traded in Bioshock without instructions and a photocopied cover. But I think it really depends if you get someone that is just there to do a job, or a power hungry keener.

I traded in Bioshock without instructions and a photocopied cover. But I think it really depends if you get someone that is just there to do a job, or a power hungry keener.

It's amazing how many assholes are working in a Gamestop. Every time I see a normal dude clerk, I am actually surprised and feels much more comfortable. Well, this is based on my personal experience.

krae_man

How strict are EB Games about the "instructions" policy in regards to trade-ins? I'm planning on trading in Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Tetris Axis, Dragon Ball Z: Raging Blast 2, and New Super Mario Bros. for the $100 off Vita thing. The problem is that while I have the box, and the inserts for NSMB, I don't actually have the instruction book. I could trade in Mario 3D Land or something else though.

I did a trade 8, get a PSP for free promotion and instructions wasn't a requirement(despite saying so on the flyers). However that was almost 5 years ago and I don't know if that's still the case or if I just got a EB clerk who didn't give a damn.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

Varies by store, but in the last five years of doing trade-ins for systems, they've been a stickler for it in Toronto stores. Policy is to knock some amount off the trade in value, so maybe some games would still qualify (ie; being over $8). If one store doesn't let you do the trade ins, try another.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I don't really have a problem with them since I'm less than 5 minutes away from them so it's quick/easy to pick up a missed drop-off. The only frustration is when drivers don't ring the door bell, especially when my car is in the driveway and it's obvious I'm home.

:lol more efficient to have you come get your packages!

Takao

Banned
Varies by store, but in the last five years of doing trade-ins for systems, they've been a stickler for it in Toronto stores. Policy is to knock some amount off the trade in value, so maybe some games would still qualify (ie; being over $8). If one store doesn't let you do the trade ins, try another.

According to TIVs.ca as of last week NSMB was worth $15 so hopefully it'll still work. I haven't played the game in years so I won't miss it.

suikodan

I just traded 4 games at EBGames for 100$ off the Vita. I already have a 50$ deposit as well. However, I don't plan on using it for the Vita since the deal from Bestbuy with the free Uncharted is better. Will they leave me with a 150$ credit when I will tell them?

jcutner

I just traded 4 games at EBGames for 100$ off the Vita. I already have a 50$ deposit as well. However, I don't plan on using it for the Vita since the deal from Bestbuy with the free Uncharted is better. Will they leave me with a 150$ credit when I will tell them?

Hard to say, I was thinking that too. I imagine since the trade in promo is only towards new hardware, your credit may only be applicable towards a new hardware purchase. How exactly that's defined on a gift card, I don't know

If I recall correctly, they don't like it when people try to return systems with trade-in-offers, because they feel the customer is taking advantage of a trade-in deal to bump up the value of their games. You could very well be hooped.

Tiktaalik

Was at a friend's house the other day and was impressed by his PS2 setup of having two PS2 slims, one JPN, one NA. A heck of a lot smaller and elegant than my bulky, modded PS2.

Is there anywhere I can even get a slim PS2 anymore at retail?

Was at a friend's house the other day and was impressed by his PS2 setup of having two PS2 slims, one JPN, one NA. A heck of a lot smaller and elegant than my bulky, modded PS2.

Try Walmart. Where I work we generally get a bunch of them each month. (at 99$)

Kazerei

Banned

I've seen them at Walmarts and Zellers still for $99.99. EB Games probably has them too. You could probably get a used one off Kijiji for like $50 though.

krae_man

I still see them everywhere.

isny

napkin dispenser

My bulky modded phat PS2 is still going strong. I wouldn't shell out more money to replace it. I'd rather just use that money to get a better video card and run the games on my PC.

Median

If I recall correctly, they don't like it when people try to return systems with trade-in-offers, because they feel the customer is taking advantage of a trade-in deal to bump up the value of their games. You could very well be hooped.

Yeah I never had to deal with a situation like that when I worked there, but I believe policy at my store was something like you could move it to another similar promotion. You might be able to convince them to let you move it to a couple trade 2 for $50 promos, and if you paid cash for that initial $50 you could probably get that back.

Ask them why the post office can deliver stuff to my apartment (no buzzer) when I'm there but they supposedly provide a premium service and they make me walk 40 minutes to pick it up. (post office has a pick up point 5 minutes from my house).

Cactus

Banned
Does anyone know the approximate value of a used 8GB iPod Nano (4th gen)? I'm wondering whether it's worth trading one in for a free game ($59.99) at EB.

TheExodu5

Banned
Does anyone know the approximate value of a used 8GB iPod Nano (4th gen)? I'm wondering whether it's worth trading one in for a free game ($59.99) at EB.

I'd assume it's not worth more than that. You could probably get a bit more out of it (maybe $80?), but a straight up no hassle trade for a bit less isn't too bad.

edit: actually, I see one for $50 on kijiji. Yeah, I'd do the trade in for sure.

suikodan

Yeah I never had to deal with a situation like that when I worked there, but I believe policy at my store was something like you could move it to another similar promotion. You might be able to convince them to let you move it to a couple trade 2 for $50 promos, and if you paid cash for that initial $50 you could probably get that back.

Yeah, that's probably what will happen. I expect to "lose" some credit toward other games and/or promotion but I'll see that in a couple of weeks.

Cactus

Banned
I'd assume it's not worth more than that. You could probably get a bit more out of it (maybe $80?), but a straight up no hassle trade for a bit less isn't too bad.

That's what I was thinking too. There are some wildly conflicting prices around the internet, but getting Twisted Metal for free (and hassle free) seems too good to pass up.

EDIT: Your edit makes me feel even better about the deal. If anybody has a spare 4th, 5th or 6th gen nano, EB Games is accepting them until the 9th.

Need some help, would it be cheaper for me to buy a new PS2 or get my old one repaired? I know what the problem is, it has to do with a loose power connector and be easily solved with soldering. But I don't know where to get any soldering stuff, nor have I done any soldering in years, so I might end up breaking it permanently.

Quick

Banned
So, I'm thinking of upgrading my Teksavvy plan. Called them and they told me that along with the fee of the plan, there's a one-time $95 activation fee attached.

Is there any way to get around that, or is it a dealwithit.gif situation? I don't think I got booked for an activation fee when I bought the starter kit from Canada Computers.

Quick

Banned
Need some help, would it be cheaper for me to buy a new PS2 or get my old one repaired? I know what the problem is, it has to do with a loose power connector and be easily solved with soldering. But I don't know where to get any soldering stuff, nor have I done any soldering in years, so I might end up breaking it permanently.

EB Games has a refurbished fat PS2 for $29.99 and a slim for $49.90 ($59.99 new). Getting it fixed would probably cost the same or more.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
So, I'm thinking of upgrading my Teksavvy plan. Called them and they told me that along with the fee of the plan, there's a one-time $95 activation fee attached.

Is there any way to get around that, or is it a dealwithit.gif situation? I don't think I got booked for an activation fee when I bought the starter kit from Canada Computers.

Probably wouldn't hurt to tell them "I really like you guys and I like that you provide an alternative to the big telcos, but I really can't afford to pay the activation fee. I've never heard of another company charging an activation fee just to change a plan." or maybe something like that to test to see if the person you're talking to has some flexibility. Maybe being sympathetic by saying "I might feel a little bit better if you could explain what the activation fee actually covers in terms of services or if you guys need to send a tech to my house or whatever" and then when they inevitably tell you it doesn't cover anything, it's just a bogus fee, reacting with "That doesn't really seem all that fair." or something?

Quick

Banned
Probably wouldn't hurt to tell them "I really like you guys and I like that you provide an alternative to the big telcos, but I really can't afford to pay the activation fee. I've never heard of another company charging an activation fee just to change a plan." or maybe something like that to test to see if the person you're talking to has some flexibility. Maybe being sympathetic by saying "I might feel a little bit better if you could explain what the activation fee actually covers in terms of services or if you guys need to send a tech to my house or whatever" and then when they inevitably tell you it doesn't cover anything, it's just a bogus fee, reacting with "That doesn't really seem all that fair." or something?

I'll give that a shot, thanks.

Teksavvy seems very casual from my experience with them, so hopefully they're a bit more flexible with this. I didn't spend much time on the phone with the representative, so I didn't even ask what that activation fee was about.

TheExodu5

Banned

Teksavvy seems very casual from my experience with them, so hopefully they're a bit more flexible with this. I didn't spend much time on the phone with the representative, so I didn't even ask what that activation fee was about.

Let us know how it works out.

Takuan

If you're upgrading from 12mbps or lower to 24mbps, you may need a Docsis 3.0 modem. That could be the "activation fee".

You just reminded me I need to switch over sometime in the near future. I know it involves cancelling with Rogers first, and then calling TekSavvy for the upgrade so there's no downtime in between switching, but I don't know the specifics. I've had enough of Rogers' ridiculously low bandwidth caps. These idiots are stalling progress, here; 60GB a month is simply not enough to be able to play legitimate DD games and stream HD video (YouTube, NetFlix).

Quick

Banned
Let us know how it works out.

Will do. Wish me luck.

If you're upgrading from 12mbps or lower to 24mbps, you may need a Docsis 3.0 modem. That could be the "activation fee".

You just reminded me I need to switch over sometime in the near future. I know it involves cancelling with Rogers first, and then calling TekSavvy for the upgrade so there's no downtime in between switching, but I don't know the specifics. I've had enough of Rogers' ridiculously low bandwidth caps. These idiots are stalling progress, here; 60GB a month is simply not enough to be able to play legitimate DD games and stream HD video (YouTube, NetFlix).

Actually, it's from 6mbps to 16mbps. I have a limit on how much I have to spend on internet, and I figured I might as well squeeze as much out of that budget as possible.

My Bell plan was in its final few days when I signed up for Teksavvy. Bought the starter kit from Canada Computers and called the rep to get it started up. I had to wait a week for my activation, which meant a whole week without internet. Don't be me. :p

RS4-

You sure it was $95? Switching speed profiles should only be $5. I can imagine the $95 if you were switching from TS Cable to DSL or the other way around.

Switching modems is also $5

Quick

Banned
You sure it was $95? Switching speed profiles should only be $5. I can imagine the $95 if you were switching from TS Cable to DSL or the other way around.

Switching modems is also $5

Yep. The rep said $95. And that's what I thought.

In any case, I'll give them another call later today. Hoping it's either a misunderstanding or I'm able to talk my way out of paying that $95. I don't care about the $5, but fucking hell at the $95.

Quick

Banned

So, I managed to switch over to a higher speed (12mbps instead of 16). Paid $25 to do so. Takuan had the right idea. They'd have charged me the $95 to activate something if I went for the 16mbps plan.

I'll have to wait a couple of days before it takes effect, but hurray for me.

Magnus

Fellow Canucks,

Is there a GAF-approved way to access US-only web/media content like Netflix (USA) and site content like NBC's up here in Canada?

I'm hesitant to try out 3rd party software or services, especially those with a price tag attached, until I check with you fine folks first.

Home

Fellow Canucks,

Is there a GAF-approved way to access US-only web/media content like Netflix (USA) and site content like NBC's up here in Canada?

I'm hesitant to try out 3rd party software or services, especially those with a price tag attached, until I check with you fine folks first.

You could try the chrome extension stealthy, or http://www.unblock-us.com/, which has a free trial. I've used both to access UK and USA content, but of course stealthy is free if a little bit annoying at times.

Using stealthy to access US netflix with my Canadian acct while in Canada is pretty awesome, even though I'm sure netflix doesn't like it.

Svafnir

You could try the chrome extension stealthy, or http://www.unblock-us.com/, which has a free trial. I've used both to access UK and USA content, but of course stealthy is free if a little bit annoying at times.

Using stealthy to access US netflix with my Canadian acct while in Canada is pretty awesome, even though I'm sure netflix doesn't like it.

Cool I wanted to know that too.

Magnus

Thanks for the tips.

So far, Stealthy isn't even fooling the SNL website with me trying to watch one clip there, so I'm hesitant to plunk down for a Netflix sub in the hopes the US one will work. (which is my end goal here)

When I check 'What's my IP'-type services, I show up as having a US IP, so that's working, but I guess it isn't flawless when actually attempting to access US web content.

Firestorm

Fellow Canucks,

I'm using Hotspot Shield (Free) which is ad-supported.

Firestorm

Hotspot Shield is good for PC but unblock-us is perfect for all the devices. All you have to do is change DNS settings in Router and every device hooked up to it (PS3, 360, Phone, PC, etc) will get the services you need.
Is there an easy way to switch between Canada and US with that?

btkadams

Hotspot Shield is good for PC but unblock-us is perfect for all the devices. All you have to do is change DNS settings in Router and every device hooked up to it (PS3, 360, Phone, PC, etc) will get the services you need.

Hotspot Shield runs on:

Windows 7
Windows XP
Windows 2000
Windows Vista
Mac OS X (10.5 Leopard)
Mac OS X (10.6 Snow Leopard)
Mac OS X (10.7 Lion)
iOS Devices
COMING SOON: Android

that's a decent amount! i guess it isn't ps3/360 though

djblue89

Any way to download the ESPN app for the 360 using unblock-us? Everytime I want to download it, it says that it is not available in my country, yet I am able to use Netflix from the US and use Hulu on my pc

Hotspot Shield runs on:

Windows 7
Windows XP
Windows 2000
Windows Vista
Mac OS X (10.5 Leopard)
Mac OS X (10.6 Snow Leopard)
Mac OS X (10.7 Lion)
iOS Devices
COMING SOON: Android

that's a decent amount! i guess it isn't ps3/360 though

I think he's pointing out that you can just update your router settings and anything attached benefits from Unblock Us, where Hotspot shield requires software regardless of platform.

SickBoy

Any way to download the ESPN app for the 360 using unblock-us? Everytime I want to download it, it says that it is not available in my country, yet I am able to use Netflix from the US and use Hulu on my pc

You'll probably also need a U.S. Xbox Live account.

Hmm. Not sure if it was mentioned at this price, but just picked up some PSPgo accessories as HMV - ticketed as half off the already discounted price. That means the USB cable, charger, and component cables...all $2.50 each.

Not that most people here will care, but it's definitely the last chance to grab any accessories for the system...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom