• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Why would you want to suffer through such a terrible game? The only enjoyment we got out of it was the art book.

Well I had never played the series and I found Qoga for pretty cheap so I decided to try it out. For shame.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Well, there's definitely an audience for GUST games, but when I see things like it and Katamari being released here over much better RPGs (Tales, those Nintendo ones), I get a misplaced hatred for them.

Sera O

Banned
Has anyone seen a Witcher 2: Dark Edition pre order page up anywhere?

I have been hunting for this too and actually found it on EBGames.ca last week. I preordered it - and half an hour later got an email saying my order had been cancelled. When I searched for the listing on the site again, it was gone.

Haven't spotted it anywhere else unfortunately - hope it shows up soon, because it would suck if it isn't available in Canada.

isny

napkin dispenser
since ill be living in canada soon, just wondering are the sites listed on the front page the only places to get good deals or are there any more? thanks

Best Buy has a different (much better) Reward Zone program in Canada than they do in the U.S.

They usually give you 800 ($10.00 value) Reward Zone points for pre-ordering a game on their website. The certificates you get from the points can only be redeemed in store.

The best way to maximize this program is by waiting for a 10-20% off, or an E3 sale, preordering a ton of games (you won't be charged until the games ship). Not only does locking in a game early on generally end up being cheaper as they have no idea what the end price will be, but you'll get a great discount and an extra $10 for doing it.

As an example, let's say I preorder a PC game. The game has no release date but is available for preorder for $39.99. During a typical sale I'll get an additional 15% off, so I'd get the preorder in for $33.99, with free shipping, and then more than likely 800 Reward Zone Points.

Closer to release we fine out the game will actually be $54.99 retail and they update the price on the website, you still pay your preorder price of $33.99, you still get your Reward Zone points, so you end up technically paying $23.99 (plus taxes) for a $54.99 game.

Hellish

Any Interest here, I figure most locals will see this thread

Selling both of my 3GB 580's looking for $460 each, prefer local to the greater toronto area, if you are local you are welcome to come in and test/ run any games / benchmarks before purchase

6854970354_c12c655ded_z.jpg

6854367295_904cb29bc1_z.jpg

zroid

Banned
They usually give you 800 ($10.00 value) Reward Zone points for pre-ordering a game on their website. The certificates you get from the points can only be redeemed in store.

This is what breaks it for me, unfortunately. There's really no technical reason why they couldn't make it redeemable online.

Then when using the certs I'm locked out from the 10% off sales and from the $5 (online-only) pre-order discounts of the lower-profile games. Unless I get lucky with a sale, I often end up having to spend the certificates on like PSN or eShop cards, lest I waste 5 bucks of their value by buying the games in-store.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
This is what breaks it for me, unfortunately. There's really no technical reason why they couldn't make it redeemable online.

Then when using the certs I'm locked out from the 10% off sales and from the $5 (online-only) pre-order discounts of the lower-profile games. Unless I get lucky with a sale, I often end up having to spend the certificates on like PSN or eShop cards, lest I waste 5 bucks of their value by buying the games in-store.
What's dumb is that in the US, you can use them online.

I want to blame Quebec for this limitation... because it sounds like something that Quebec doesn't allow. lol

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
The Collector's Edition of Diablo III at Best Buy is dark red, while it is silver at EB/Gamestop lol.

I want to blame Quebec for this limitation... because it sounds like something that Quebec doesn't allow. lol

Ok I know that Quebec does not allow a few random things that are making me cringe, but that one would be a bit much. I can't see why Quebec would give a shit about anything related to using a certificate online. I think Best Buy Canada is just being lazy about this right now and it is frustrating.

Lothars

The Collector's Edition of Diablo III at Best Buy is dark red, while it is silver at EB/Gamestop lol.

I could have sworn everything was silvery when they were doing pre-orders sometime ago. (EB Games)
I think the outerbox is a silvery/white color and the rest will be what you see.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
I think the outerbox is a silvery/white color and the rest will be what you see.

Could be that too, I only just noticed the pretty box.

zroid

Banned

Yeah when I found out you can use 'em online in the States, I was just all the more aggravated :X

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
It doesn't really bother me that I have to use RZ certs in-store since I have them set to the $20 redemption level and that's perfect for PSN cards or an older title I was waiting to buy.

isny

napkin dispenser

Buy something using the cert. Walk back in later (or any other day) and return it and you'll get a GC for the cert amount. This is what I do, easiest way to use the credit online. (And it can then be used at either BB or FS's website)

zroid

Banned
Buy something using the cert. Walk back in later (or any other day) and return it and you'll get a GC for the cert amount. This is what I do, easiest way to use the credit online. (And it can then be used at either BB or FS's website)

That's evil. I like it.

Any good deal for Infamous II ?

I'm still hoping that EB will put the CE on doorcrasher (hopefully this summer). 30 bucks do want that messenger bag

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Reward Certificates expire in 3 months and you think limitations would be because of Quebec?

Reward Zone is the worst point system out there, and it's completely due to Best Buy.

Fuzzy

Reward Certificates expire in 3 months and you think limitations would be because of Quebec?

Reward Zone is the worst point system out there, and it's completely due to Best Buy.
Which Canadian retailer has a better one? There's only 1 reason RZ certs are in-store only, they hope people will buy something else while they're there.

EDIT: Completely forgot about SDM. It's better during their extra points days and bonus redemption days. I haven't worked out how they compare during normal days.

shira

Can someone please explain how the Shoppers Drug Mart points thing works?

If they have a bonus point day and I buy a PS3 ($250) - Do I just get SDM points or do I actually get cash back?

Firestorm

Can someone please explain how the Shoppers Drug Mart points thing works?

If they have a bonus point day and I buy a PS3 ($250) - Do I just get SDM points or do I actually get cash back?
You get points which you can then redeem on your next purchase.

Fuzzy

i work at SDM and barely understand how the points work :lol
What's there to get? $1 = 10 points.

Points Required = Reward Value
8,000 = $10
22,000 = $30
38,000 = $60
50,000 = $85
95,000 = $170

Then you have 20X points days where you get 20 times the points. They also have bonus redemption days where the you get extra money for the points you redeem.

Socreges

Banned
PS3s are $229 at SDM Saturday ONLY, great time to cash in your 60/85 off points.
Interesting. So how many points would that be (not that I don't want to do the math - I just don't know how the system works)? And they're redeemable for?

[edit] Awesome, so that's like $80 in credit toward next Shopper's purchase.... PS3 for $150! ......although I don't often shop at SDM

:(

Fuzzy

Interesting. So how many points would that be (not that I don't want to do the math - I just don't know how the system works)? And they're redeemable for?

[edit] Awesome, so that's like $80 in credit toward next Shopper's purchase.... PS3 for $150! ......although I don't often shop at SDM
No, I made a mistake and added an extra zero by accident to the number of points per dollar. Fixed my previous post already. You'll only get 2,290 points for buying it this weekend which isn't worth a whole lot. If it was a 20X weekend then you'd get 45,800 points which is only $60 off your next purchase. But this weekend isn't one AFAIK.

Socreges

Banned
No, I made a mistake and added an extra zero by accident to the number of points per dollar. Fixed my previous post already. You'll only get 2,290 points for buying it this weekend which isn't worth a whole lot. If it was a 20X weekend then you'd get 45,800 points which is only $60 off your next purchase. But this weekend isn't one AFAIK.
Didn't realize there's no value falling between $60 and $85. Shitty.

And yeah thought the 20x was this Saturday since I made two mistakes. Thought it was the last Saturday of every month, not the first Saturday. And of course this Saturday isn't even the last.

Kazerei

Banned
PS3s are $229 at SDM Saturday ONLY, great time to cash in your 60/85 off points.

Wait wait wait. This Saturday is 20x the points day, which means you should buy that PS3 with real dollars to accumulate lots of points, instead of redeeming points for dollars at the normal rate.

If you'd rather collect Air Miles, Toys R Us is offering 10x the AM from Mar. 23-25 if you spend $50+. You also get a $50 GC with a PS3 (Uncharted/Move bundle at $300/350).

Assuming it's $20 = 1 AM, you'll get (300/20)*10 = 150 AM and a $50 GC.

I have no idea what that is worth, but there you go.

Wait wait wait. This Saturday is 20x the points day, which means you should buy that PS3 with real dollars to accumulate lots of points, instead of redeeming points for dollars at the normal rate.

That's for everything in-store right? Grocery Shopping time! :D Got swiffer pads today that are unopened, I'll return them tomorrow and rebuy them on Saturday for more points!

isny

napkin dispenser
Tax Free at Loblaws on Saturday. SDM is still the better deal for most electronics with the 20x the points, but Loblaws does sell some items SDM doesn't.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
GAF, there was a thread a little while ago on getting [your first] credit card in Canada and I can't seem to find it. There were some suggestions about getting some MBNA credit card that I was interested in, but forgot to bookmark it. Or was that discussion in this thread? Can anyone help me out?

EDIT: Think I found it, was contained in this thread.

Popstar

VANCOUVERITES ONLY:

Maynards is having another Electronics liquidation sale. I just got the notification for it. Not sure what's there, but 30-70% off. There's two locations - Vancouver on 2nd and Main, and Surrey.

Just a note that this sale is still going on and they've dropped prices further. Flyer.

If you're looking for a good gaming TV the Samsung PN51D550 for $599 is a nice deal. I'll probably drop by on the weekend and look for any game related stuff still around.

CSSer

GAF, there was a thread a little while ago on getting [your first] credit card in Canada and I can't seem to find it. There were some suggestions about getting some MBNA credit card that I was interested in, but forgot to bookmark it. Or was that discussion in this thread? Can anyone help me out?

It was probably the MBNA Smart Cash Mastercard. Don't know about the thread on gaf (this one is for US credit card, but mbna was mentioned there http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=459085&highlight=mbna)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom