• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ_Lae

Picked up Dark Souls (the weirdly hard to find 360 version) and Tales of the Abyss at Best Buy today. Binary Domain was tempting too but I left it.

Tons of copies of BD at the Uptown Best Buy - they were still incorrectly marked $50. One Dark Souls and Abyss left that I could see too, and Tales of the Abyss was not priced at all.

zroid

Banned
Canada Day really ruined everything for me :p

Had it been any other week, Best Buy probably would have shipped the game out yesterday and I'd more than likely be getting it in a few hours.

Now I'm strongly considering pulling a lame buy-now-and-return-mailed-copy-with-new-receipt stunt

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I mean bonds and investments at this point in time. Savings accounts and tfsa's give you fuck all.

A TFSA isn't anything, it's a tax designation for an account that can hold virtually any kind of investment. The only reason it's not completely and utterly exploitable is the $5k annual cap.

MarkusRJR

Does anyone here have any experience with Koodo? I'm thinking of moving over to them and buying out the next 4 months of my contract.

Grr... In store pickup is still not working on Future Shop's website. Only reason I care is that I want to use my $10 off coupon for July on Theatrytthrtmrtrm: Final Fantasy. Hopefully they don't sell out by noon.

Edit: They had it working for a second, then took it away. The humanity.

Edit 2: Finally worked.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Does anyone here have any experience with Koodo? I'm thinking of moving over to them and buying out the next 4 months of my contract.

I've been on Koodo for over a year and it's been very reliable with great coverage. It's basically a sub of Bell given that Bell owns Telus and Telus owns Koodo.

They have made their plans shittier with the change to per minute billing but their data is pretty flexible.

Their phone selection outside of the iPhone is pretty uninspiring. It is a bargain phone company.

Fido offers pretty great plans as well minus their crappy data plans.

Virgin was awful for me at least.

If you do get a Koodo phone or a Koodo Tab PM me before you activate and I'll get you a $25 off credit for your Koodo Tab.

sikkinixx

I've been on Koodo for over a year and it's been very reliable with great coverage. It's basically a sub of Bell given that Bell owns Telus and Telus owns Koodo.

They have made their plans shittier with the change to per minute billing but their data is pretty flexible.

Their phone selection outside of the iPhone is pretty uninspiring. It is a bargain phone company.

If you do get a Koodo phone or a Koodo Tab PM me before you activate and I'll get you a $25 off credit for your Koodo Tab.

Since when does Bell own Telus?

MarkusRJR

I literally just figured out that Koodo requires a credit check. I was under the impression it was a prepaid system. I'm only 19 so I don't have a credit card and I probably have shit credit from my student loan (not even sure if that affects it or not).

I'm gonna have to wait for my dad to get back from his 4 month business trip now. Maybe he'll sign for me like he did last time. Ugh if I have to go to Virgin Mobile and do their shitty prepaid plans I will kill someone. Why is it so hard for someone like me to get a cell phone plan...

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
I literally just figured out that Koodo requires a credit check. I was under the impression it was a prepaid system. I'm only 19 so I don't have a credit card and I probably have shit credit from my student loan (not even sure if that affects it or not).

I'm gonna have to wait for my dad to get back from his 4 month business trip now. Maybe he'll sign for me like he did last time. Ugh if I have to go to Virgin Mobile and do their shitty prepaid plans I will kill someone. Why is it so hard for someone like me to get a cell phone plan...

You don't need a credit card but it's easier with one. Your SIN is adequate for a credit check.

I fucking hated Virgin.

MarkusRJR

You don't need a credit card but it's easier with one. Your SIN is adequate for a credit check.

I fucking hated Virgin.
I'm just worried I'll have a really bad credit. I've been a full time student for the past year and a half so I have a 5000-6000 student loan taken out. I'm not sure how the credit system works, but I'd imagine I wouldn't qualify.

And yes, Virgin sucks for smartphones. I had issues getting reception too. Way too overpriced also.

I got Tales of the Abyss! :D

I'm not sure, but it seems to be a tad jaggier than the other 3DS games I have (Mario games, SWC, SSF4), is the game running at native res of 400x240? Doesn't help that the speech bubbles aren't smoothed out, how hard would that have been? At least make them rectangular to hide that.

Pretty sure my other 3DS games don't have AA, so that's why I'm curious if Abyss may not be a native-res, like I said, it could just be the speech bubbles that makes it look worse than it is.

Edit: Here's the PS2 version:

gfs_69034_2_3.jpg

Looks smoother, but maybe it had AA? Explains why they didn't try to change the bubbles, what a strange thing to make them all octagonal or something.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
What do you use your phone for, and where do you live?

Because if you don't use data, buying a new phone and picking Wind's prepaid 40$ plan + adding unlimited text is a decent deal. They'll deduct 5 a month for the text messages, so the 40 can last 8 months. Incoming calls are free.

MarkusRJR

What do you use your phone for, and where do you live?

Texting, social media, and NeoGAF (along with occasional media streaming). I only do phone calls once or twice a month. I live in Winnipeg, Manitoba. I was planning to get the One V after trying out my friend's. I was under the impression that Koodo was a prepaid service though so I might be fucked.

I used Virgin before my current carrier and now that I'm used to smartphones, there's no going back. :(

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Looks like none of the new carriers are in Winnipeg, so you're out of luck when it comes to deals.

What about unlocking and going to MTS if it's compatible?

Also, if you're having credit problems (have you applied for a regular card?) you may want to look at a secured credit card from someone like Capital One (which has lower up front deposits than Canadian banks) to build it back.

MarkusRJR

Looks like none of the new carriers are in Winnipeg, so you're out of luck when it comes to deals.
Yup, it's either use Virgin Mobile, stick with my current carrier/plan that constantly loses signal at home, or find some work-around to sign up for Koodo. Would my father be able to sign (or co-sign) for Koodo, and then I'll pay? Either way, I'll be stuck for 4 months on my current carrier. *sigh*

Grabbed my copy of Theatryhtmnrtmm FF. Used my $10 off coupon for July and was promptly given one for August.

Win for me!

cjkeats

Grabbed my copy of Theatryhtmnrtmm FF. Used my $10 off coupon for July and was promptly given one for August.

Win for me!

I completely forgot I have two of those coupons. Guess I'll pick mine up later.
Nothing much else this month other than Kingdom Hearts though is there?

I completely forgot I have two of those coupons. Guess I'll pick mine up later.
Nothing much else this month other than Kingdom Hearts though is there?

The Yonge and Eglinton location I grabbed my copy from is already OoS. Best not leave it beyond today if you want to use your discounts.

cjkeats

The Yonge and Eglinton location I grabbed my copy from is already OoS. Best not leave it beyond today if you want to use your discounts.

I'm at work and my code is at home stuffed in the case for whatever game I bought last month. I'm not too worried though, as, I'm in Newfoundland and I'll eat my shirt it they run out. No one buys games at FS or BB here.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
I got Tales of the Abyss! :D

I'm not sure, but it seems to be a tad jaggier than the other 3DS games I have (Mario games, SWC, SSF4), is the game running at native res of 400x240? Doesn't help that the speech bubbles aren't smoothed out, how hard would that have been? At least make them rectangular to hide that.

Pretty sure my other 3DS games don't have AA, so that's why I'm curious if Abyss may not be a native-res, like I said, it could just be the speech bubbles that makes it look worse than it is.

Edit: Here's the PS2 version:

gfs_69034_2_3.jpg

Looks smoother, but maybe it had AA? Explains why they didn't try to change the bubbles, what a strange thing to make them all octagonal or something.

Yeah, I have both versions, and the 3DS version is inferior in the field of color (Washed-out), and sharpness.

Though, the 3DS version is less buggy.

MarkusRJR

I've pretty much decided I'm going to deal with my shitty carrier for 4 months till my dad gets back and my contract ends. Then I'll either get him to do the credit check or something along those lines to get a One V and the $50 Canada-wide data plan. How does the referral system work with Koodo? Am I given a code or do I have to request one?

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Basically you have a friend or anyone else that's an existing Koodo customer go to Koodos Referral site and generate a code before you activate your phone. After activation you enter your code on the site. It takes 6 to 8 weeks for the code to process then you and the person that referred you get a $25 credit towards your Tab.

If you post an ad on Kijiji or something you can get rid of your Tab in no time;-)

zroid

Banned
Debating whether to get Infamous 2 finally

hmmm. problem is I'm not going to play it for a while, and the price will more than likely drop again soon.

Jagxyz

Debating whether to get Infamous 2 finally

hmmm. problem is I'm not going to play it for a while, and the price will more than likely drop again soon.

It's available on playstation plus for free if you want to get it + some other games (JC2, SR2, LBP2, WH40K, etc.).

zroid

Banned
Trying to PM TotA at FS. One store appears to still have them in stock, so I filed an ISPU. Hope it works.

EDIT: okay, wow, the order got filled in like 3 minutes. Way to go, Markham East FS! lol

Sora_N

Trying to PM TotA at FS. One store appears to still have them in stock, so I filed an ISPU. Hope it works.

EDIT: okay, wow, the order got filled in like 3 minutes. Way to go, Markham East FS! lol

My ISPU was filled within 3 minutes at both BB and FS yesterday too, they're probably bored.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom