• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like Best Buy threw a couple more games into their sale. Seeing Soul Calibur V for $20 and Lollipop Chainsaw for $40 now. Could be something else I missed too.
Binary Domain also dropped to $20 again, in store too.

The one that was sold out (and I didn't know) was Ridge Racer Unbounded was $40.

zroid

Banned
Uhhhhh... what?

o3ShFl.jpg

are retailer timed exclusives a thing now

soultron

Banned
Brand new? Maybe someone traded it in sealed?

That is pretty strange. Thought Nintendo publicly said GS/EB were the only ones retailing Xenoblade.

Luigi87

That is... odd.
It's not on BB.ca. Will check again later this week to see if that changes, but that is quite peculiar.

Even if you trade in Xenoblade sealed, 1) it shouldn't be in the database (so it won't have a TIV), and 2) I don't think it's legal to re-sell a traded game as new.

Google turns up nothing.

Even if you trade in Xenoblade sealed, 1) it shouldn't be in the database (so it won't have a TIV), and 2) I don't think it's legal to re-sell a traded game as new.

Google turns up nothing.

Microplay on Bank St. in Ottawa has been receiving these from their distributer for sale since the day after it released... Doesn't seem very exclusive to me...

shira

Not really gaming, but anyone know if we have the same {buy tdk bluray from best buy get discount for tdkr movie deal} as the states?

Cheerilee

Google turns up nothing.

Also, Best Buy should be afraid of accepting sealed items after the iPad modelling clay incident.

Mikey Jr.

I want to start watching Blu-rays. I have a 51" plasma with surround sound and perfect lighting and I am stuck watching crappy DVD's. My parents bought Planet Earth on dvd a few years ago, and I bought the blu-ray a year ago when it was like 50 bucks. I compared the two of them, and Jesus, I can't watch dvd's after blu-ray. I can't, I won't. I need the quality. Maybe it would be fine on a 30" tv, but not on this 51".

So, Canadians, specifically Ontario, where can I go to rent blu-ray's. I am assuming brick and mortar is out of the question? I refuse to buy blu-rays

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/prod...spx?path=644b2c836f65609cca01035f55fb7b97en02

for $40 fucking dollars for something I am only going to watch once.

tl;dr Anyone know of a website that rents out blu-rays?

edit: I know of some, just wondering if anyone here is using one.

zroid

Banned
So, Canadians, specifically Ontario, where can I go to rent blu-ray's. I am assuming brick and mortar is out of the question? I refuse to buy blu-rays

Well, this may not do you much good, but I frequently borrow blu-rays from the public library. Does yours carry them?

My Markham Public Library has close to 300 assorted movies on blu-ray in the catalogue and they usually add a few every couple of weeks. Of course there's usually a lengthy wait time for new releases, so your mileage may vary with this kind of thing I suppose, especially in this age of instant gratification via Netflix.

I'm just the right kind of cheapskate to take advantage of such a free service.

Incidentally: http://markham.bibliocommons.com/item/show/321040034_up

iphys

I was with zip till I got fed up with things getting delayed or broken in the mail and then they raised their prices. They also have kiosks in Ontario and NS now. I haven't gone yet to see how dismal the selection is, but I think they said it was $2 for an overnight blu-ray rental.

Edit: Wow, wish my library had blu-rays, because I do love borrowing the DVDs for free. The sad thing is they sometimes have DVDs in the blu-ray+DVD packaging with a note that the blu-ray is unavailable. I wonder what they're doing with all those blu-ray discs they're evidently buying but not lending to people.

I want to start watching Blu-rays. I have a 51" plasma with surround sound and perfect lighting and I am stuck watching crappy DVD's. My parents bought Planet Earth on dvd a few years ago, and I bought the blu-ray a year ago when it was like 50 bucks. I compared the two of them, and Jesus, I can't watch dvd's after blu-ray. I can't, I won't. I need the quality. Maybe it would be fine on a 30" tv, but not on this 51".

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/prod...spx?path=644b2c836f65609cca01035f55fb7b97en02

for $40 fucking dollars for something I am only going to watch once.

tl;dr Anyone know of a website that rents out blu-rays?

edit: I know of some, just wondering if anyone here is using one.

Luckily you're not in Quebec, so surely Rogers has them? I swear they do, though I haven't been in one for 2 years since the move from Toronto... :/

DJ_Lae

I still really miss Blockbuster, especially their game pass. There's nowhere to really rent movies (or worse, games) anywhere in Victoria. The library is passable for the odd movie but actually finding what you want or sitting through the wait lists is painful.

I have a bunch of streaming options available to me, of course (iTunes, Optik, Zune, PSN) but anything with action scenes suffers from artifacting and looks like shit.

Every time I buy groceries in Oak Bay I get it rubbed in my face too - that Blockbuster location is still vacant.

Mikey Jr.

I still really miss Blockbuster, especially their game pass. There's nowhere to really rent movies (or worse, games) anywhere in Victoria. The library is passable for the odd movie but actually finding what you want or sitting through the wait lists is painful.

I have a bunch of streaming options available to me, of course (iTunes, Optik, Zune, PSN) but anything with action scenes suffers from artifacting and looks like shit.

Every time I buy groceries in Oak Bay I get it rubbed in my face too - that Blockbuster location is still vacant.

Hear anything about dvdlink.ca?

They do blurays apparently, but I havent heard anything about them.

DJ_Lae

Hear anything about dvdlink.ca?

They do blurays apparently, but I havent heard anything about them.

I looked at them a while back, I think (there were a couple of other sites too, I believe) but initially figured they were likely located out east which would mean quite the turnaround time on discs.

I might give their cheapest plan a shot at some point.

isny

napkin dispenser
UP was advertised at $20ish at FS or BB this week. Disney Blu's seem to be going on sale often lately.

Rogers no longer rents anything. There were huge store closing sales a couple of months ago. As someone else has mentioned, ZIP.ca is your best bet besides local mom and pop places. (Alternatively, you can rent any Disney title from me if you want, as I have most of em on Blu, lol)

BTW, I'm le tired of Theatrythm and going to sell it. Anyone want it for cost and free shipping? It's the LE with the stylus. I have yet to use the stickers or the Square Enix code, so it's essentially brand new. Just shoot me a PM.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Your only other alternative is to find one of those zip.ca kiosks. Although I hear they only stock new releases now.

Disney discs go up in price pretty quickly though. That's just one of the things that they do. :/

Mikey Jr.

Well, this may not do you much good, but I frequently borrow blu-rays from the public library. Does yours carry them?

Not sure. Can't remember the last time I went to a library. But you hit the nail on the head with the problem with that. Wait times.

I was with zip till I got fed up with things getting delayed or broken in the mail and then they raised their prices. They also have kiosks in Ontario and NS now. I haven't gone yet to see how dismal the selection is, but I think they said it was $2 for an overnight blu-ray rental.

Were those for dvd's? How was the blu-ray selection?

Luckily you're not in Quebec, so surely Rogers has them? I swear they do, though I haven't been in one for 2 years since the move from Toronto... :/

Rogers stopped renting stuff aswell like Blockbuster. You would think with Blockbuster going out, Rogers would keep up with it since they would pretty much have a monopoly. But nope. Not sure why they got out to be honest.

I looked at them a while back, I think (there were a couple of other sites too, I believe) but initially figured they were likely located out east which would mean quite the turnaround time on discs.

I might give their cheapest plan a shot at some point.

East would be great for me.

UP was advertised at $20ish at FS or BB this week. Disney Blu's seem to be going on sale often lately.

Rogers no longer rents anything. There were huge store closing sales a couple of months ago. As someone else has mentioned, ZIP.ca is your best bet besides local mom and pop places. (Alternatively, you can rent any Disney title from me if you want, as I have most of em on Blu, lol)

Heh, thanks for the offer, but I was just using UP as an example. I want to really start watching movies again (I stopped about 5 years ago, and missed a LOT of movies. I focused on tv and videogames for entertainment.) But UP just shows that if you want to see that movie, right now, you would have to spend $40. If you want to see it in nice quality of course. I want to see the movie 21 jump street. The only way to see it on blu-ray is to buy it and it sells for $25. That is too much for a movie I intend on watching once.

Your only other alternative is to find one of those zip.ca kiosks. Although I hear they only stock new releases now.

Disney discs go up in price pretty quickly though. That's just one of the things that they do. :/

Hmmm. I guess its between a kiosk, zip.ca, and dvdlink.ca.

Zip and dvdlink both have free trials. I'll check them out then I'll write a review on them.

Sad that this is what it has come to.

ASFM

Neo Member
Skimmed the thread so I'm not sure if anyones posted this, but the Killzone 3 / Digi Camo PS3 Controller dual pack is 20 bucks off for a few weeks at Bestbuy. 39.99.

isny

napkin dispenser
Not sure. Can't remember the last time I went to a library. But you hit the nail on the head with the problem with that. Wait times.

Were those for dvd's? How was the blu-ray selection?

Rogers stopped renting stuff aswell like Blockbuster. You would think with Blockbuster going out, Rogers would keep up with it since they would pretty much have a monopoly. But nope. Not sure why they got out to be honest.

East would be great for me.

Heh, thanks for the offer, but I was just using UP as an example. I want to really start watching movies again (I stopped about 5 years ago, and missed a LOT of movies. I focused on tv and videogames for entertainment.) But UP just shows that if you want to see that movie, right now, you would have to spend $40. If you want to see it in nice quality of course. I want to see the movie 21 jump street. The only way to see it on blu-ray is to buy it and it sells for $25. That is too much for a movie I intend on watching once.

Hmmm. I guess its between a kiosk, zip.ca, and dvdlink.ca.

Zip and dvdlink both have free trials. I'll check them out then I'll write a review on them.

Sad that this is what it has come to.

You can also rent the videos from itunes in semi HD quality for pretty cheap. Something like 21 Jump Street will look just as good in 480p as it's not animation or a big budget action movie.

iLLmAtlc

Hey any of you guys using unlimited browsing with Speakout on iPhone? It's kinda stopped working for me in the past few days and I'm not sure why.

shira

Zip.ca
PROS
is better if you are closer to Ottawa.
DVD selection - lots of obscure and art films

CONS
They seem to have built their library only on DVD's.
The cost of +$1 per blu-ray is ridiculous.
Almost no 3D titles

DVDlink.ca
PRO
has games too wii/360/ps3, obscure games too (Zack and Wiki)
very good if you live in BC.
Price and selection make it worth it if you want 2 or more of anything.
Plus they have a better selection of 3D.
Blu-rays are no extra charge.

CONS
BC takes 3-5 days shipping from eastern Canada
Need to pay for 2 or more discs package

isny

napkin dispenser
Zip.ca
PROS
is better if you are not west coast or far from BC.
DVD selection - lots of obscure and art films

CONS
They seem to have built their library only on DVD's.
The cost of +$1 per blu-ray is ridiculous.
Almost no 3D titles

DVDlink.ca
PRO
has games too wii/360/ps3, obscure games too (Zack and Wiki)
very good if you live in BC.
Price and selection make it worth it if you want 2 or more of anything.
Plus they have a better selection of 3D.
Blu-rays are no extra charge.

CONS
BC takes 3-5 days shipping from eastern Canada
Need to pay for 2 or more discs package

Zip has a facility in Ottawa. It's where 90% of the titles I got came from.

When I was with them I never got charged anything extra for Blu Rays? I just paid the monthly fee and took out as many DVD/BR's as I wanted.

NOT POSSIBLE!!! O_O :(

Rogers, how could you?! What are you without RENTALS?!?!

zorbsie

Checked back a few pages but didn't see anything. Was there a MK Vita sale I missed out on? Or was that a US retailer thing?

Edit: Found it for 20 at gamestop/EB. Going to Best buy after work to price match and squeeze out some more savings.

Lothars

Checked back a few pages but didn't see anything. Was there a MK Vita sale I missed out on? Or was that a US retailer thing?

Edit: Found it for 20 at gamestop/EB. Going to Best buy after work to price match and squeeze out some more savings.
It was a US retailer had it priced at 10 bucks.

zorbsie

It was a US retailer had it priced at 10 bucks.

Yeah that's the deal I really wanted to find, but for ~$20 I'll bite. Almost all the the games I've bought for Vita have been on sale. I feel bad about that, but I just can't get over the mental hump of $40 portal games.

iphys

Yeah, $1 per blu-ray when they already raised the base prices of their monthly rental plans is ridiculous. I would consider paying the $2 for an overnight blu-ray rental, if they had anything I wanted in the kiosks: at least I wouldn't have to worry about Canada Post taking their sweet time with it or breaking it. I swear someone was opening my DVDs and watching them before they delivered them to me, because it shouldn't take 9 days for a DVD to get from Ottawa to Halifax that often, and a few times I could totally tell the envelope had been opened -- pretty freaking annoying when it limits how many rentals you can get in a month.

isny

napkin dispenser
Since no one's mentioned it yet, Pokemon Black/White 2 are $34.99 + $10 in RZ points for the preorder at Best Buy.

CTE

So happy we still got our local Mom and Pop video store that's not going anywhere. I've been going to them for about 15 years now. Maybe even longer. Moved for 4 years and returned recently to find they are still going strong since they are literally the only store to rent BR at now.

Future Shop has a ton of crazy deals:
Uncharted $10
Tiger woods 13 move bundle $45
MSG4 $7

Those are the ones I remember off the top of my head.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom