• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

zroid

Banned
I would think $179.99 from FS for the 3DS XL would be the smarter decision though. (If one isn't in need of a 3DS immediately and can wait a month)

I hadn't even heard about that deal o_o

It does sound good.

(EDIT: Ah, I see, it's a $20 coupon. That's still decent though, as I'm assuming you'd want a game to go with that XL anyway.)

MarkusRJR

So I bought 3 games from EB Games and 2 of the 3 were those "display copies". What's the best way to get rid of the stickers and shit on it. I don't want to end up with a nasty ass game case.

zroid

Banned
In my experience the EB Games price stickers come off clean

Unless you mean some other shitty stickers, in which case good luck to you, friend, I sympathize

MarkusRJR

Unless you mean some other shitty stickers, in which case good luck to you, friend, I sympathize
They were on sale and had these nasty "save ____" stickers that tore on the first try. I still don't know why EB Games does the whole display copy shit when there are alternatives. :/

Cactus

Banned

They must have changed the type of sticker they use because I've spent an inordinate amount of time in the past trying to get all the damn sticker residue off.

EDIT: And, yeah, Goo Gone works very well.

zroid

Banned
They were on sale and had these nasty "save ____" stickers that tore on the first try. I still don't know why EB Games does the whole display copy shit when there are alternatives. :/

bah :(

yeah it's quite a load of crap. I haven't had the customer service problems with EB/GS that many have, but their stupid policy of selling opened copies as "new" is bullshit and inexcusable.

nordique

I would think $179.99 from FS for the 3DS XL would be the smarter decision though. (If one isn't in need of a 3DS immediately and can wait a month)

$179 for XL in a month?

I've seen no mention of such a deal on their site? Am i missing something?

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
A few years ago my mom suggested Olive Oil and it worked great. Once it was clean I just used soap and water to get rid of the Olive Oil smell. Just remember to always take out the cover and everything else inside the case before starting so there's no chance of them getting dirty.

I use tooth paste on disc with slight scratches, after researching home solutions for scratched disc years. Always seems to work as long as the scratch isn't incredibly deep.

So I bought 3 games from EB Games and 2 of the 3 were those "display copies". What's the best way to get rid of the stickers and shit on it. I don't want to end up with a nasty ass game case.

As a person who runs a painting company and removing stickers/decals/glue residue from said stickers and decals is a big part of the job, nothing works as good as Acetone. You can get it in any paint store or hardware store. It flashes off really quickly so you don't need to worry about damaging the surface, unless you just drench it in the stuff. It has a bit of an odor, but it will also make your gaming experience that much richer if you expose yourself to that odor for a longer period of time. ;)

Just for those who didn't know.

Cheerilee

As a person who runs a painting company and removing stickers/decals/glue residue from said stickers and decals is a big part of the job, nothing works as good as Acetone. You can get it in any paint store or hardware store. It flashes off really quickly so you don't need to worry about damaging the surface, unless you just drench it in the stuff. It has a bit of an odor, but it will also make your gaming experience that much richer if you expose yourself to that odor for a longer period of time. ;)

Just for those who didn't know.

It's also a common ingredient in nail polish remover, so you might be able to save yourself a trip to the hardware store by asking girls if they happen to have any.

It's powerful stuff. It can take off Crazy Glue.

Nail polish remover works well. I bought a bottle just for the purposes of removing EB games tags :)

PS: Cute hair brah.

bryehn

Lighter fluid works, but last one I got peeled off easily..

iphys

Apparently Shoppers is going to have the Vita for $240 next week, and they're giving a $50 gift card for buying it, and it's a 20x on Saturday. I still don't want one though, lol.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Apparently Shoppers is going to have the Vita for $240 next week, and they're giving a $50 gift card for buying it, and it's a 20x on Saturday. I still don't want one though, lol.

so 20x = $80 cash-back--$110 on bonus redemption day, plus $50 gift card.

$90 for a Vita? That's a tad steep.

Fuzzy

Since GAF was down I checked RFD and saw this post.

Assuming your tax rate is 13%, vita will be $239 + 31.20 tax = 270.20, so...

1) Buy $270 in giftcards and use optimum card to get regular points --> earn 2700 points. You need two GC's as you can only load $200 on a GC at a time.
2) Wait until Saturday, buy Vita for $270.20 using giftcards --> earn 2390 x 20 = 47800 points. You only earn points on pre-tax $239, but note you got tax points from the gc purchase.
3) You now have 50500 points, which is worth $100 on bonus redemption days, plus a free $50 giftcard for buying the Vita.

points are usually worth
8,000 points = $10
22,000 points = $30
38,000 points = $60
50,000 points = $85 ($100 on Bonus Redemption Day)
95,000 points = $170 ($200 on Bonus Redemption Day)

No, you cannot redeem your points to buy a giftcard..

iphys

I personally never buy Shoppers gift cards before purchase because I've heard of people having the value disappear from the cards on them. Plus, I wouldn't get my extended warranty and theft protection on my purchase that I get from my credit card company.

Also, you should turn around and spend that $50 gift card on the 20x day for some games/accessories, because that's 10,000 free Optimum points right there (which is like another $25 come mega redemption).

SickBoy

Man, I wonder what it will take for me to actually buy a Vita. I think it's a sexy system, but even with that sort of enticement I'm not convinced I'll actually get one. There's good software for it, but none of it really has that strong a pull for me.

Fuzzy

I personally never buy Shoppers gift cards before purchase because I've heard of people having the value disappear from the cards on them. Plus, I wouldn't get my extended warranty and theft protection on my purchase that I get from my credit card company.

Also, you should turn around and spend that $50 gift card on the 20x day for some games/accessories, because that's 10,000 free Optimum points right there (which is like another $25 come mega redemption).
Buying a Vita you'd also need a memory card so there's no reason not to spend the $50 gc right away.

iphys

Yeah, a lot of people used to do it to get double the base points to help qualify for Optimum Plus, back when the Plus program mattered for anything. It seems like hassle and it seems really cheap to do it though, so I've never done it myself.

iphys

If you want to redeem the day of, if you redeem 50,000 points, you only get $85 regularly. It's better to save the points, because 50,000 points gets you $100 on bonus redemption days, or $125 at mega redemption.

jmoe316

Anyone know of any deals on Jak and Dextor collection for PS3? Might just have to wait for another one of those 2 for $50 sales or something.

Thanks

iLLmAtlc

No problem, good luck.

Just got back from the Wal-Mart at Grandview Highway here in Vancouver and at around 10 am they had 5 PS3 copies in the display case. Not sure if they got anymore in the back. Sorry I didn't check the 360 version.

Fuzzy

July 13-19 Flyers from CAG.

Best Buy

2X Reward zone points for Reward Zone Gamers Club

250GB Xbox 360 Fable 3, Halo Reach, GoW2, Assassin's Creed Revelations & 3 months Xbox live gold $299.99

$29.99 each
Kinect Disneyland
Kinect Sports

Lego Batman 2 DC Super Heroes (PS3/360) $39.99
Lego Batman 2 DC Super Heroes (Wii/3DS/Vita) $29.99
NCAA Football 13 $59.99

Logitech Driving Force GT $99.99

800 Reward Zone for preordering:
*preorder bonus in brackets*
CoD: Black Ops 2 (Nuketown 2025 multiplayer map)
Halo 4 (Customized armor skin and helmet)
NHL 13 (Official Reebok 2DK Boost Pack)
Borderlands 2 (Membership to the premiere club)
Assassin's Creed III (Exclusive "ghost of war" single player mission)
Medal of Honor Warfighter (US Navy Seal Tier 1 Sniper)

Diablo 3 $59.99
Civilization V: Gods & Kings $29.99
Max Payne 3 $59.99
Sims 3: Showtime Limited Edition $29.99
The Secret World $49.99

Future Shop

250GB Xbox 360 COD:MW2 and HDMI Bundle $299.99
$20 off Xbox Live 12 month gold card with purchase of Xbox 360

Xbox triple packs $59.99 each
Halo Reach, Forza 4 & Fable 3
Kinect Sports, Kinect Joy Ride & Kinectimals

PS Vita for $79.99 when you trade in 5 select games

$10 gaming credit when pre-order
NHL 13
Darksiders II (comes with exclusive DLC)
New Super Mario Bros. 2 (comes with steelbook case)

$39.99 each
Game of Thrones
Skyrim
Starcraft II

Lego Batman 2 DC Super Heroes (Wii) $29.99
WoW: Cataclysm $19.99
CoD: MW3 (PS3/360) $29.99

TRU

Skylander characters $9.99
250GB Xbox 360 Fable 3, Halo Reach, GoW2 & 3 months Xbox live gold $299.99
Xbox 360 Wireless headset with bluetooth $49.99
Nintendo DSi $99.99

Happy Friday the 13th!

Heading into the city this weekend, meaning I can finally hit up an EB, Best Buy, and Futureshop.

Anybody know if Dragon's Dogma is going on the cheap anywhere?

bPod

July 13-19 Flyers from CAG.

Best Buy

Lego Batman 2 DC Super Heroes (Wii/3DS/Vita) $29.99
NCAA Football 13 $59.99

Happy Friday the 13th!

I had a feeling it was going to drop, but I got my copy from Wal-Mart for the combo for $50

So it isn't that bad...

soultron

Banned
Payroll (for everyone) got screwed up so we're not getting paid until Monday. Guess I'm not getting that 3DS from SDM this weekend. Frig.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom