• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
I missed out on that Pokemon Black Version 2 deal :(.

Is there another deal that I can get $10 off? It's been a busy week at school, I never got down to it.

Anyone know when the best time to change your voice/data plan with a cell phone company is?

I'm with Telus and I get charged the 12th of every month.

It doesn't really matter when you change your plan, as any plan changes can be post dated to your next. Billing date. If you want to make your bill as normal as possible, negotiate your contract terms, have the plan start on your billing date and head into the store on that date. That way you know exactly when everything starts and finishes. Conversely, you can also just Do it whenever and do the math in regards to proration.

About this Shoppers and RFD sleeze - sometimes, companies will introduce a promo as a "loss leader" in other words, they use it to entice you into the store in hopes you'll also purchase other things.

So with these RFD'ers exploiting it, it's really bad for business. I agree, his SDM card should be revoked.

And Hero of Legend, regardless of your financial situation, that's a bad thing to do. RFD called. They miss you.

Well said. I'm really careful about how deep I get into RFD threads. I just skim them from time to time to see if there's price drops or deals on certain items that I'm already interested in purchasing - nothing more. I'm always careful not to be adverse to paying full price or even a premium for items or services that I enjoy.

It often seems that certain threads at RFD are frequented by people who are oblivious and often defensive of the sleazy nature of their actions. It's like the online equivelent to hanging out at a bus station on a Saturday night. Makes you feel like you need a shower.

It's sad that these folks may never get this simple fact: thinking and acting "like a poor person" will ultimately lead to actual deficiencies showing up in very real ways in your life. In the short term, spamming and scamming deals like this may seem like an obvious way to get ahead, but, in the end, it does more harm than good. It's a trap. Lack attracts lack.

/ phisophical rant.

So I preordered NHL 13 as part of the E3 deal (making it $44.99).

Since then, Futureshop came out with a 'trade 2 games, get NHL 13 collector's edition free' promotion. One of those games can be NHL 12, which I'll definitely never play again.

Thus, I can buy one of the other games off their eligible list (hopefully used at around $25).

This means I'm going to have to go to Futureshop, return my preordered copy, then buy a used copy of some game, then trade it in with my copy of NHL 12 to get the collector's edition.

This feels ridiculous.

ElNino

Since then, Futureshop came out with a 'trade 2 games, get NHL 13 collector's edition free' promotion. One of those games can be NHL 12, which I'll definitely never play again.

Thus, I can buy one of the other games off their eligible list (hopefully used at around $25).

This means I'm going to have to go to Futureshop, return my preordered copy, then buy a used copy of some game, then trade it in with my copy of NHL 12 to get the collector's edition.

This feels ridiculous.
Well, you don't need to do the return immediately. You can always wait a day or go to a different FS to do the return if you want to.

krae_man

This feels ridiculous.

Is NHL 13 on the trade in list? What you don't want to trade in NHL 13 for NHL 13?

Well said. I'm really careful about how deep I get into RFD threads. I just skim them from time to time to see if there's price drops or deals on certain items that I'm already interested in purchasing - nothing more. I'm always careful not to be adverse to paying full price or even a premium for items or services that I enjoy.

It often seems that certain threads at RFD are frequented by people who are oblivious and often defensive of the sleazy nature of their actions. It's like the online equivelent to hanging out at a bus station on a Saturday night. Makes you feel like you need a shower.

It's sad that these folks may never get this simple fact: thinking and acting "like a poor person" will ultimately lead to actual deficiencies showing up in very real ways in your life. In the short term, spamming and scamming deals like this may seem like an obvious way to get ahead, but, in the end, it does more harm than good. It's a trap. Lack attracts lack.

/ phisophical rant.

For what it's worth, I fully agree with you. It's kinda tough going on the RFD forums just because of how trashy it gets. Sadly it's tough to get away from that anywhere you go.

Cake Boss

Banned
Whaaattt am I reading this right? Trade in 2 games from that list and you get NHL 13? Not only that you get the collector's edition? Fuckin A thanks Mr.Works.

Goodbye BF3 and NHL 12.

Quick

Banned
I'm not going to bother with the T2 for NHL, I don't care about the extras.

I said the same thing just a page or two before, but the promo is for BOTH versions. So you can go for the regular, or the Stanley Cup edition. It's not worth $79.99, but with the promo, might as well jump on that one if you can at no extra charge.

RS4-

Yeah, I know its a good deal, and I do have two games to trade in for it. CP is delivering my regular one tomorrow anyway. I'll see how it goes on Tuesday if I have time to head down to FS.

cjkeats

I've had things I preordered on FS delivered to my door a day prior to the release date before. I love it when that happens.

How often does that happen, or how often does it arrive on launch day? I've got three copies of P4G pre-ordered from different places because I want it ASAP and I'm a crazy person.
In my experience, online pre-orders never ship to NL in time to make it for that Tuesday.

Magnus

Ottawa (and Orleans) GAF: I have advanced passes (free!) to Pitch Perfect screenings next week, Wed/Thurs nights. Get at me with a business address (manufacture one if you have to ;)) so I can send you/your family/friends some passes!

Pitch-Perfect.jpg

For what it's worth, I fully agree with you. It's kinda tough going on the RFD forums just because of how trashy it gets. Sadly it's tough to get away from that anywhere you go.

Yeah - I know what you mean. It's almost human nature in some parts. Precisely the reason I limit my Wal-Mart visits. :p

MarkusRJR

I'm in the market for a cheap laptop/netbook. My year old netbook took 2 minutes to just open Chrome. It's hilariously slow. Any deals are welcome. I'm looking for something between 300-400 at most as I don't have much money at the moment.

zroid

Banned
Any chance you can upgrade the RAM? Most netbooks ship with 1GB and upgrading to 2 or more makes a world of difference.

For only a year old, I don't think it should be that crap. I have an older netbook than that and it's going strong (upgraded to 2GB).

MarkusRJR

Well, it's not just the fact it's slow. The actual hardware it kind of shit. Some keys stick for no reason, and the hinge and back plate has broken apart due to a 1 1/2 foot drop onto the bed (what the fuck). I'm seriously just looking for something that'll go on facebook/tumblr/youtube and sync music with my ipod/phone. I can't watch youtube videos on 480p because it becomes a choppy mess. I can do more with my smartphone, but I can't really manage my media on a phone so I need a laptop/desktop.

RS4-

I just have some hackintoshed netbook...yeah 1GB ram isn't cutting it.

I haven't really looked around to add more as I don't really use it.

MarkusRJR

If I had more money I'd buy a Macbook Air but I just got a new phone and a 3DS XL + games. I was mostly using my BB for internet needs until I found my netbook (dad took it during summer). I'm literally willing to go with another netbook as long as it has decent specs. I just can't handle the fact that I can't browse tumblr without it crawling or watch youtube vids. I'm kind of desperate. :p

/ phisophical rant.

So true. Somewhere down the line of production to distribution, someone is paying for it, and it's usually the person who made the product, like the game developer, or the poor slave-child in China.

If I had more money I'd buy a Macbook Air but I just got a new phone and a 3DS XL + games. I was mostly using my BB for internet needs until I found my netbook (dad took it during summer). I'm literally willing to go with another netbook as long as it has decent specs. I just can't handle the fact that I can't browse tumblr without it crawling or watch youtube vids. I'm kind of desperate. :p

Sometimes, slowdown can be caused by faulty software and bloatware. Once a year or once every couple of years, I do a clean install. I periodically run cleaners and optimizers, and it does the trick. Been using a 5 year old computer running Windows XP before finally upgrading. And even then it doesn't *really* feel any faster.

Other causes could be hard drive failure too - bad sectors become difficult to write to, so your computer slows down whenever it tries to read or write cache data to that sector.

Yeah - I know what you mean. It's almost human nature in some parts. Precisely the reason I limit my Wal-Mart visits. :p

Yup, wal-mart is absolutely terrible for it. One time a clearance deal was posted on RFD and I saw some greasy teenage toothpick face deep in the wal-mart clearance bin trying to nab all the items posted.

I'm in the market for a cheap laptop/netbook. My year old netbook took 2 minutes to just open Chrome. It's hilariously slow. Any deals are welcome. I'm looking for something between 300-400 at most as I don't have much money at the moment.

Dunno how you feel about refurbs, but FS has a couple decently priced ones. I normally don't like refurbs/used items, but for the price the specs are very reasonable. I'm very tempted to get one for my parents to use but I'm saving up for the downpayment for my house atm. Anyways, I'd recommend checking these two:

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/prod...spx?path=b626512e1c060a9d002ac42f748980f5en02

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/prod...spx?path=527e02751f0ce652114e018634e7d825en02

RS4-

Bah no NHL on door step, FS site still screwed when looking at orders. Got the shipping email last night but tracking number doesn't work.

Takuan

Best Buy says TTT2 shipped last night, but I still haven't received it. :(

NM, received but office lady didn't check mail today. -_-

Checked my Ebgames pre-order and noticed they charged me $49.99 for some odd reason. Game was $59.99 when I ordered it, and $59.99 on the website right now, so I'm not sure why they charged me less but I'm not going to complain!

Cudder

Hmm, I could trade in Uncharted Golden Abyss and Gravity Rush for NHL 13, but I'm not sure I want to...

Also funny how Silent Hill Book of Memories is a eligible title.

Sora_N

So I just got 16 chcocolate bars from shoppers, how exactly do people use the shoppers card to buy a vita, etc? What happens on those bonus days or whatever? If it's feasible I'll slowly save and wait for a vita cuz I'm in no rush at all. I only have like 17k points or so atm.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So I just got 16 chcocolate bars from shoppers, how exactly do people use the shoppers card to buy a vita, etc? What happens on those bonus days or whatever? If it's feasible I'll slowly save and wait for a vita cuz I'm in no rush at all. I only have like 17k points or so atm.
Look at the back of your receipt. You'll want to redeem at the 95k point level on a special bonus redemption day (to get 225 dollars worth of stuff).

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Anyone actually have a link for the SDM deal?
The chocolate thing? It's linked previously somewhere. There are other food stuffs you can buy, but I can't remember what they are.

The store I go to was cleared out of the milk chocolate stuff. I like dark chocolate though, so it wasn't that bad. I suppose I just need another 35k or so to each 95k, but it's not like there's anything to buy at SDM until the next Xbox/PS3 comes out.

zroid

Banned
Ritz crackers, trident gum packs, and peanut butter, I believe (among others).

Since SDM seems completely unconcerned with the prices of the products that are part of this deal, I think chances are good the Ritz crackers will go on sale at their usual $1.67 in the coming weeks, before the promotion ends. That will be chaos.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
The chocolate thing? It's linked previously somewhere. There are other food stuffs you can buy, but I can't remember what they are.

The store I go to was cleared out of the milk chocolate stuff. I like dark chocolate though, so it wasn't that bad. I suppose I just need another 35k or so to each 95k, but it's not like there's anything to buy at SDM until the next Xbox/PS3 comes out.
Poor WiiU. :(

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Poor WiiU. :(
Yeah, no games, so... what can ya do? lol

Ritz crackers, trident gum packs, and peanut butter, I believe (among others).

Since SDM seems completely unconcerned with the prices of the products that are part of this deal, I think chances are good the Ritz crackers will go on sale at their usual $1.67 in the coming weeks, before the promotion ends. That will be chaos.
Man, maybe it's time to stock up on gum. lol

isny

napkin dispenser
Seems like a good deal. I spend $90ish on chocolate, get $220ish worth of bonus redemption points = Wii U plus lots of Halloween candy for $90?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom