• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suppose so. lol

They didn't care that you were buying them and then immediately returning them?

First one had no problem with it. Second place, the cashier assumed the points would deduct anyway (which wouldn't, but only after the manager mentioned it to her).

I'd never buy 100 bars or something, I wasn't even sure if this would even work the first time.

zroid

Banned
I think I might go back later and grab 4 or 8 Caramilk bars, if there are any left. Apparently my grandma wants those too.

Why would something being illegal stop you? Because illegal = wrong (legal = right)? Or because you'd get punished for it?

I don't see how it's a bad thing, abusing isn't a crime, they felt the need to make 4 Cadbury bars be worth 8000 points, if that's not a sign saying "ABUSE ME", I don't know what is.

They need to think about what the consequences of such a deal would bring, that's their job, if they seriously didn't expect abuse up the ass, then shame on them sadly.

Yes it's sleazy, but it's not illegal, thus there should not be any punishment.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I don't see how it's a bad thing, abusing isn't a crime, they felt the need to make 4 Cadbury bars be worth 8000 points, if that's not a sign saying "ABUSE ME", I don't know what is.

They need to think about what the consequences of such a deal would bring, that's their job, if they seriously didn't expect abuse up the ass, then shame on them sadly.

image.php

Socreges

Banned

Please answer my question.

Thanks. Interesting moral code.

I'm sorry I come off as a jerk or an ass, but when you're on Welfare, you don't have much money to spare, and I always am as polite as I can be when shopping.

There is a reason why people don't like RFDers. And it's not because they are a bunch of criminals in the eyes of the law.

I know they like to buy hundreds of games (with many of them being multiple copies) and selling them on eBay or wherever.

That's one of the reasons I refunded the bars, so I'm not hoarding the bars, and I don't buy so many games at once, that's pointless to me, when I get a cheap game, I get one, MAYBE two, and that's if it's a huge deal on a recent game. So far I haven't done that.

iphys

Just got back from Shoppers. :)

First place I bought 12 bars, got 24,000 points on top of the 4,900 I had.

Got Mario Party 9 with them, then I refunded the bars without a hitch.

Then went to my local Shoppers where I usually go from home, did it again, this time got Mario Sports Mix.

And this time, when I was refunding the bars, the manager had to come because the cash wasn't working, and when I did my debit card, he wasn't quick enough to do the Optimum point refund for them (he only said something after I put in my PIN number...), so he goes and says he'll call the Optimum company, I told him that I only have like 4,900 points left, he says that it's just likely they'll take away the remaining points, it doesn't sound like I'm trouble.

It's in their policy that they can take away your account for abuse of the program, not that I suppose you're planning to use it again once the points get deducted for the returns and you're sitting there with a negative optimum point balance.

It's in their policy that they can take away your account for abuse of the program, not that I suppose you're planning to use it again once the points get deducted for the returns and you're sitting there with a negative optimum point balance.

Is it even possible for them to give me a negative balance?

iphys

They deduct points for returns, so mathematically it's exactly what should happen if you spent the points and then returned the merchandise you earned the points on. You're not the first person that's pulled this trick, so I wouldn't expect to get away with it without having your account flagged.

Regardless, abusing stuff like this doesn't make one a bad person, some people just have different viewpoints, that's all, I don't think less of you or others for not sharing my opinions, as long as you're not rude. :)

AzerPhire

Wait so you bought a whole bunch of chocolate bars to get points that you then redeemed for a game and then returned the chocolate to get your money back but kept the games?

That's pretty sleazy.

Wait so you bought a whole bunch of chocolate bars to get points that you then redeemed for a game and then returned the chocolate to get your money back but kept the games?

That's pretty sleazy.

I didn't do this just to be a jerk, I need the money, in fact I just spent hundreds of dollars paying off a debt in my medical account for medical supplies, and that's AFTER selling a bunch of stuff, nevermind that I had to take money out of my Welfare check to pay it off. :/

So sorry if I abused the system to get some extra money. My medical supplies are like a hundred bucks A POP. My illnesses aren't cheap to manage, I've had these key issues since I was seven years old.

I'm not trying to stick up for the guy or anything, but I don't see how this is any worse than everyone rushing out to use the Bestbuy coupon on multiple games and preorders and such, and nobody persecuted anyone for doing that. Both are abusing an offer provided by a retailer. Is it worse because he bought so many? How many games would it have taken someone to use that coupon on before they became a 'bad guy' too?

I didnt think it worked like that, don't they remove the points once you return the item? I guess they can't if you used the points is the idea?

Kazerei

Banned
I'm not trying to stick up for the guy or anything, but I don't see how this is any worse than everyone rushing out to use the Bestbuy coupon on multiple games and preorders and such, and nobody persecuted anyone for doing that. Both are abusing an offer provided by a retailer. Is it worse because he bought so many? How many games would it have taken someone to use that coupon on before they became a 'bad guy' too?

I guess I don't feel so bad because I actually paid some money to Best Buy. I wouldn't pull the SDM points thing to get stuff for free, I feel like that crosses a line somewhere.

I guess I don't feel so bad because I actually paid some money to Best Buy. I wouldn't pull the SDM points thing to get stuff for free, I feel like that crosses a line somewhere.

I guess I can kind of see your point, with the whole returning of the product that provided the points to begin with. I'm guessing most wouldn't feel quite so put off if he had kept the product itself.

I didn't think it'd even work, I mean Plan B would've been to sell the chocolate at my school. So you're right, SDM would've still got the money.

Kazerei

Banned
And .. what we can do with 8000 holy points?

Today and tomorrow are super redemption days.

25,000 points = $50
50,000 points = $110
95,000 points = $220

There's a bunch of Kraft products that earn 8000 SDM points. I think it's agreed that the chocolate bars are the best deal. (Edit: it's basically $8+tax for 4 bars and 8,000 points. Some stores have added a rule, 8 bars max per customer.)

More info

zroid

Banned
Ritz crackers often go on sale for I think $1.67 at Shoppers, so was a tad disappointed that they weren't this week :p

Maybe next week? The 8000 pts thing surprisingly runs till Sept 23 so there's actually plenty of time for this to be abused more later. :|

They REALLY need to institute a one 8000 pts bonus/member/week limit or something.

Exactly, someone in HQ must not be terribly bright, and I agree, they need to add like a "no more than 4 bars at once" or some kind of limit.

But most of all, do not do these kinds of deals, no matter the occasion.

Something like "buy 4 get 2000" is more sensible and it takes WAY more effort to abuse likely to the point of many just not bothering (but I'm sure there are some who will), and even that's pushing it.

I don't know what they're thinking, this is a terrible business decision, bar none. :/

And you think I went overboard, as someone showed, someone bought hundreds worth. :/

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'm sure they've learned their lesson this time around. lol

Also, don't be the guy who buys thousands of dollars of chocolate bars or whatever food, gets the points, and then donates the food just so he can get his money back via a tax deduction. I remember someone on RFD doing that move. lol

zroid

Banned
Basically, this is part of their 50th anniversary promotion, and they even mention on their site that they're giving out opportunities to get tons of points.

It's not that big a deal to give out 8000 pts for $8, it's a potential loss leader. But clearly there's something wrong when people are getting 200k points in one visit.

Basically, this is part of their 50th anniversary promotion, and they even mention on their site that they're giving out opportunities to get tons of points.

It's not that big a deal to give out 8000 pts for $8, it's a potential loss leader. But clearly there's something wrong when people are getting 200k points in one visit.

But how does no one question at the store if one buys 50/100/200 bars at once? o_O That's where a limit on similar purchases need to be made, and it's not like they're in boxes of a dozen or whatnot, point abuse isn't more obvious than that.

iphys

I wonder if the promo was supposed to be 800 points rather than 8000. It's surely ridiculous when the points you're awarding are worth more than it costs to earn them.

zroid

Banned
But how does no one question at the store if one buys 50/100/200 bars at once? o_O That's where a limit on similar purchases need to be made, and it's not like they're in boxes of a dozen or whatnot, point abuse isn't more obvious than that.

they should, and there should be.

Getting points from buying the items with the promo is alright. Returning those items after getting the points is pretty fucking shady. That's some immoral shit right there.

Socreges

Banned
I guess I can kind of see your point, with the whole returning of the product that provided the points to begin with. I'm guessing most wouldn't feel quite so put off if he had kept the product itself.
Of course not. There's a massive difference between just purchasing a lot to get the points, and refunding everything so that SDM gets nothing while you walk away with two of their videogames.

Big Chungus

Anyone know when the best time to change your voice/data plan with a cell phone company is?

I'm with Telus and I get charged the 12th of every month.

Memles

Speaking as an ex-pat who mourns the absence of Caramilk bars in his current country, the notion of someone not seeing this deal as "Score: I get lots of points for buying delicious chocolate bars that not everyone has the privilege of being able to purchase!" perplexes me.

Socreges

Banned
Speaking as an ex-pat who mourns the absence of Caramilk bars in his current country, the notion of someone not seeing this deal as "Score: I get lots of points for buying delicious chocolate bars that not everyone has the privilege of being able to purchase!" perplexes me.
I don't think anyone would disagree. That's not what we're talking about.

About this Shoppers and RFD sleeze - sometimes, companies will introduce a promo as a "loss leader" in other words, they use it to entice you into the store in hopes you'll also purchase other things.

So with these RFD'ers exploiting it, it's really bad for business. I agree, his SDM card should be revoked.

And Hero of Legend, regardless of your financial situation, that's a bad thing to do. RFD called. They miss you.

iphys

Went to another Shoppers today and got the Trident gum, since I did actually want some, so why not get the 8000 points. It barely looked like anyone had bought any, and I still saw chocolate bars actually. When I started looking at the gum, a couple Shoppers employees looked at me like they were alarmed for a moment till I just grabbed 4 packages, lol. They must be enforcing a limit on these things; otherwise, I'm not sure how that store hadn't been cleared out by hoarders. The only thing I noticed had been cleared out were all the Ritz crackers, but they wouldn't have had many boxes of those to begin with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom