• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I don't have anything against paying full price. Tsilon, Futureshop and Bestbuy are making it almost impossible to do so with the number of deals they are offering before launch however.
Pretty much this.

Also looks like Telus, and several other providers have iPhone 5 rates up. Looks like standard fare really. Telus won't let you use any plan under $50/mo. Do cell phone providers often do promotions around holiday time? Beginning of December is when my contract is up.

That FS coupon for Persona 4: The Golden, is it a tsilon.ca deal?
I don't see it in my perks list. Did I already miss out on it?

The coupons I used for Persona 4 were not Tsilon. I got $10 off on the preorder plus I used a $10 off coupon from an error they made with Kingdom Hearts.

Cheerilee

Off-topic but I was wondering, is it bad for your credit to cancel a credit card?

I have quite a few but pretty much use just one, its balance gets zeroed out each month and the rest of the cards are always at zero since I don't use them.

Was thinking of at least getting rid of the one's that have an annual fee.

BTW what do you guys think of the Amazon.ca credit card? Just received it and it seems pretty good, no annual fee and you get Amazon points for each purchase. There is also no-interest payment plans on big purchases.

AFAIK, your credit score grows more as you spend more in relation to the total credit available to you, up to around 50% of it.

So lets say you have four cards with a $25,000 limit on each. That would mean you have $100,000 credit available. And the most gain you can get comes from spending $50k a month on any combination of your cards, and then paying it down to zero right away (and occasionally buying gum or whatever on the unused cards so they stay active).

If you cancel two of those cards that you never use, your available credit will drop from $100k to $50k, but now you only need to spend half as much to get those max gains, or since you probably don't nearly spend that much, what you do spend takes you twice as far towards building your reputation.

Cancel all of your cards that come with annual fees. They're not worth hanging onto. Keep your first card, because it sets a "start date" on your credit, and you want that to stay as long as possible (unless your first card had fees, then maybe just think about it). Keep your best card (which I guess is your new Amazon). The rest you can toss. Unless you really need a big credit limit.

Sora_N

AFAIK, your credit score grows more as you spend more in relation to the total credit available to you, up to around 50% of it.

So lets say you have four cards with a $25,000 limit on each. That would mean you have $100,000 credit available. And the most gain you can get comes from spending $50k a month on any combination of your cards, and then paying it down to zero right away (and occasionally buying gum or whatever on the unused cards so they stay active).

If you cancel two of those cards that you never use, your available credit will drop from $100k to $50k, but now you only need to spend half as much to get those max gains, or since you probably don't nearly spend that much, what you do spend takes you twice as far towards building your reputation.

Cancel all of your cards that come with annual fees. They're not worth hanging onto. Keep your first card, because it sets a "start date" on your credit, and you want that to stay as long as possible (unless your first card had fees, then maybe just think about it). Keep your best card (which I guess is your new Amazon). The rest you can toss. Unless you really need a big credit limit.

So basically it's bad to have a 2k limit if I usually don't even reach 1k? I guess CC companies just try to make you raise your limit so you can borrow more.

If I called to lower my limit, would that be possible?

I have one card I never use, I should really cancel that one.

Cheerilee

So basically it's bad to have a 2k limit if I usually don't even reach 1k? I guess CC companies just try to make you raise your limit so you can borrow more.
Not bad, just not quite as good. And I think going over the halfway point triggers more negatives than the positives you'd get by riding the line. Personally, I don't think 2k is too much credit. It's good to have a useful amount.

If I called to lower my limit, would that be possible?
It might raise red flags. Try not to look like you want credit, or look like you're afraid of credit. Fly casual.

I have one card I never use, I should really cancel that one.
AFAIK, you can easily apply for or cancel a card every six months to a year, and it doesn't look suspicious.

Sora_N

Cool thanks for the tips :)

I just stopped by shoppers, grabbed 4 dark bars cuz I actually like them more. Was gonna price protect my previous purchases but decided not to in case they screw with my points somehow. If I don't get the 8k will refund tho.

BadWolf

So its not a negative then, glad to hear, those cards are just collecting dust.

Unfortunately my first card (Capital One) is the one with the annual fee, dang it.

I'll start trying to cancel them every 6-12 months then.

Thanks for the help!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
If you don't use them, they'll cancel them for you. lol

I went from five cards to one just by not using them... mostly because the one I have is a cashback card, so it didn't make sense to use the others.

BadWolf

If you don't use them, they'll cancel them for you. lol

I went from five cards to one just by not using them... mostly because the one I have is a cashback card, so it didn't make sense to use the others.

Yeah I was thinking about that earlier today, any idea how long of not using it takes?

Does it count as using if all you are doing is paying an annual fee on the card and not using it for anything else?

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Yeah I was thinking about that earlier today, any idea how long of not using it takes?

Does it count as using if all you are doing is paying an annual fee on the card and not using it for anything else?
If they're collecting an annual fee from you I doubt they'd ever automatically cancel the card. :p

firehawk12

Subete no aware

Yeah, that's free money for them.

As for my cards, they were free and fairly low limit (in fact, one of them was a Canadian Tire card that somehow went from 500 bucks to 1500 bucks). I lost some free credits and whatnot, but it didn't really matter in the long run. What happened with me is that they just didn't bother sending me a new card when it expired, so I just figured that they cancelled it for me. lol

If you're paying for the card, you might as well just cancel it yourself - especially if you're not using it. lol

Hieberrr

I live in Toronto now so the coverage isn't a huge concern for me. Whereabouts do you live?

I was waiting for the 5 reveal to decide between a GS3 and the 5. Decided to go with the GS3. I feel you on that though. What are you estimating? $300 on the tab with the $40/mo plan?

I noticed this weekend (14 - 16 Sept) you get a free month, so that kind of sealed the deal. Telus was very straight to business with the cancelling since I still have 15 mo. left, no surprise there. The loyalty agent was nice enough and I didn't get angry and start demanding stuff. Still, at $70 a month (I had a really good plan, but I didn't use 6 GB of data and they weren't willing to reduce and drop the price I pay for data.) I estimated that $250 to cancel is a pittance versus >$1000 for the remaining 15 months with Telus.

Downtown Toronto. I travel up to York to visit the gf once in a while, so I'm wondering if it works there. I'll be graduating next year, so I may have to start looking for jobs outside of Toronto (maybe in Sauga or something), so I have to keep that in mind.

Firestorm

Has there been any deals on PSN cash cards in the last little while? Anyone wanna trade some for Microsoft Points? Wouldn't mind saving some money on One Piece Pirate Warriors...

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Downtown Toronto. I travel up to York to visit the gf once in a while, so I'm wondering if it works there. I'll be graduating next year, so I may have to art looking for jobs outside of Toronto (maybe in Sauga or something), so I have to keep that in mind.

You can check out the coverage map . York has a lot of holes, but if she lives along one of my major streets, it might be okay. My coverage is good when I travel out to my inlaws in Mississauga at Winston Churchill and QEW. In fact, it's better than my home reception because I live in the one real dead spot in the old city of Toronto (west of High Park).

This week I need to buy another PS3. Anyone know what the best deal around is? I live downtown Toronto.

Not sure if the Walmart anniversary sale is still on or not. $199 for a 160gb slim with Uncharted trilogy (Not Uncharted 1&2 double pack, but actually GH versions of both games, plus Uncharted 3.)

I personally do not like Walmart (see Walmart documentary). So I would encourage you to price match that somewhere else.

Quick

Banned
Just did the FS trade 2 deal for The Indiana Jones Blu-Ray Collection.

Saints Row The Third and Battlefield 3 were $15 each in trade-in value, so I pretty much Indy for $30, rather than $79.09 ($69.99 + $9.10 HST). Feels good man.

This week I need to buy another PS3. Anyone know what the best deal around is? I live downtown Toronto.

Wait til tonight and see if there is a new PS3 model announced. It would no doubt also be accompanied by a price drop so give it a few more hours before you make any decisions.

Luigi87

My friend's copy of Borderlands 2 arrived from FS, and though he pre-ordered it after the steelbook case was advertised, as per usual with FS, he did not get it.

On top of that, he's still yet to receive his Premiere Club key.

Palehorse

I didn't get the email from FS saying it had shipped, but when I logged in to my account and checked the order out it had tracking info. It's on track to deliver today. Actually...Canada Post app says it's been delivered.

Maybe check FS site out if you haven't gotten an email. If you've already done that, then sadface.jpg

Reich

I preordered Borderlands 2 and Pokemon White 2 in the same time.

Will they wait to october 7 (release of poke2) to ship my order or ..

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't get my shipment notice until around 1am last night, but the Canada Post guy was here at 7:45am this morning with my copy of Borderlands 2. Steelbook and all. Probably the best shipment I've had for a pre-order with Future Shop.

krae_man

I preordered Borderlands 2 and Pokemon White 2 in the same time.

Will they wait to october 7 (release of poke2) to ship my order or ..

It's possible that the games will "stick together" and you'll have to call them to get it corrected. It has happened to me before.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Isn't that Gun Club thing for Borderlands inside the game itself?

Also, man, FS.ca now looks like BB.ca. Finally. :p

And yeah, no shipping email, but I got the package. Well, almost. I guess the game + steelbook comes in a big box or something because they couldn't fit it into my mailbox.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
I went to GameShack in the Atrium after a long time and noticed a lot of games seem to be at least $10 off from the usual stores (Best Buy, Future Shop, EB, etc).

Still, I haven't been able to find a copy of Wind Waker or Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door.

I don't really need another game right now, but looking at their GC titles made me all nostalgic and such.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
EB games in Canada has never done the receipt thing for DLC codes afaik... either it's in the box or they were supposed to hand you a card or something.

Firestorm

My PC copy of Borderlands 2 shipped yesterday but hasn't arrived.

Oh, and for those who didn't see it in the Vancouver thread, the Pacific Centre EB is closing down =/

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
My PC copy of Borderlands 2 shipped yesterday but hasn't arrived.

Oh, and for those who didn't see it in the Vancouver thread, the Pacific Centre EB is closing down =/
It's not like that was a significant store. I've rarely bought anything there. Just hop the skytrain to Metrotown, I guess :p

Canada Post decided to give me a Pick-up card instead of trying to deliver it to my house. lame

as for the DLC, I still haven't got an email from futureshop. hope it's in the parcel I get tomorrow. I wouldn't be surprised FS messed up another one of my pre-order items.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom