• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

iphys

I slept in till 2:30 and they still had plenty of Dairy Milks, Ritz, and Trident gum at Shoppers thanks to the limit of 1 bonus point offer, and the specials run tomorrow too, and the price is still reduced for the rest of the week, so everyone should probably have a chance to do this offer one more time by the 23rd if you haven't done it since the limit took effect on the 14th. Their website says the points will be awarded by Sept 28th, so I'd hang on to your receipt just in case there's a problem.

Where did you guys order from that had your Kirbys ship? My Amazon order hasn't moved an inch. Usually stuff would at least be in Shipping Soon status by now :(

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Any The Last Story sightings in Toronto Futureshops? I wanted to use my September $10 off coupon on it, but I'm afraid most stores are out of stock now (including Yonge and Dundas location). Alas.

Firestorm

Bell home phone and internet, so I went with them because there was a small discount if you bundle services together (4 bucks).
Hm, not sure if retentions can do anything unless you're a mobility customer already. Yeah I'd go with the 1GB plan. At least it include caller id...

I live in Toronto now so the coverage isn't a huge concern for me. Whereabouts do you live?

I was waiting for the 5 reveal to decide between a GS3 and the 5. Decided to go with the GS3. I feel you on that though. What are you estimating? $300 on the tab with the $40/mo plan?

I noticed this weekend (14 - 16 Sept) you get a free month, so that kind of sealed the deal. Telus was very straight to business with the cancelling since I still have 15 mo. left, no surprise there. The loyalty agent was nice enough and I didn't get angry and start demanding stuff. Still, at $70 a month (I had a really good plan, but I didn't use 6 GB of data and they weren't willing to reduce and drop the price I pay for data.) I estimated that $250 to cancel is a pittance versus >$1000 for the remaining 15 months with Telus.
You need to talk to Wind and get them to cancel your Telus contract if you want to keep your number. Unless something has changed, cancelling with Telus first means you lose your number. It takes some time to cancel so I would probably call back.

Terrell

I'm in Vancouver, anyone know the cheapest place to get Wii Remote Plus in-store or online? I'm prepping for WiiU and realized all my Wii remotes are the original and I only have 1 Motion Plus attachment.

soultron

Banned
Hm, not sure if retentions can do anything unless you're a mobility customer already. Yeah I'd go with the 1GB plan. At least it include caller id...

You need to talk to Wind and get them to cancel your Telus contract if you want to keep your number. Unless something has changed, cancelling with Telus first means you lose your number. It takes some time to cancel so I would probably call back.
Had a Hamilton #, so I cancelled with Telus. Getting a new/TO number will really solidify my move to TO. c:

Anony

I'm in Vancouver, anyone know the cheapest place to get Wii Remote Plus in-store or online? I'm prepping for WiiU and realized all my Wii remotes are the original and I only have 1 Motion Plus attachment.

i have a motion+ addon I'd like to get rid of if you want to buy it, needs to be shipped though
would also like to get rid of wiimote as well, and a classic controller if you're interested
pm me

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Had a Hamilton #, so I cancelled with Telus. Getting a new/TO number will really solidify my move to TO. c:
But you'll be one of the 647 numbers or if you're really unlucky one of the new 437 numbers whenever that starts. :lol

Does anyone pay full price for games anymore?

Game Title Deal Price Real Price Release Date Notes
Persona 4: The Golden $19.99 $39.99 November 20th, 2012 FS Coupon
Sega Kart Racing $19.99 $29.99 November 20th, 2012 FS Coupon
Halo 4: LE $28.99 $99.99 November 6th, 2012 EB Trades
Little Big Planet Vita $19.99 $39.99 September 25th, 2012 FS Coupon
Dead or Alive 5 $0.00 $59.99 September 25th, 2012 Credit
Assassin's Creed Vita $19.99 $39.99 October 30th, 2012 FS Coupon
Assassin's Creed 3 $29.99 $49.99 October 30th, 2012 FS Coupon
Street Fighter X Tekken Vita $19.99 $39.99 October 23rd, 2012 FS Coupon
WWE 13 $44.99 $59.99 October 30th, 2012 Best Buy Coupon
Call of Duty Black OPS 2 $0.00 $59.99 November 13th, 2012 EB Trade 2
NHL 13 $0.00 $79.99 September 11th, 2012 FS Trade 2
Borderlands 2 $35.00 $59.99 September 18th, 2012 GMG Deal (Steam)
Total: $238.92 $659.88
With Tax: $269.98 $745.66

The bolded is what is important. And I'm not even going through the trouble of hunting down games for trade 2 deals.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Yeah, I have to restore my order history as it was deleted when I forgot my password on FS, damn discounted goods.

There's so many sales happening all the time that very rarely am I forced to buy a game I heavily anticipate for full price at launch. For instance the only games I wanted to buy this year are AC3 and Black Ops 2 and I had them pre-ordered since a long time ago for 39.99 each. That was just from a regular sale in future shop.

It's especially easy when you can order all the things you want during the sale and just wait for em to come out. Not being charged until shipment is a blessing.

The only time I'd buy a game near day 1 at full price is if it's part of a 'cultural moment' or whatever i.e. GTA or Skyrim or Portal 2 or something like that. At least, I would do that if I had the time and had a way smaller backlog...

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I still pay full price for Japanese games... because, well, NISA and Natsume doesn't sell through BB/FS. Heck, I don't think every Xseed or Atlus game has made it to the big box retailers. (I'm still wondering if Code of Princess will show up at FS. lol)

iphys

The last time I remember paying full price was to get Bit.Trip Saga, but I got it from the US to get the bonus soundtrack and stickers, and I avoided paying taxes on it too, so it was still a bit of a deal. Honestly, the last time I bought a retail game without getting any sort of deal was probably in 2010 when I got Tetris Party Deluxe, which was only $30 anyways.

The only game I'm paying full price for this year is Ni No Kuni, and that's only because I ordered the Wizard edition off Namco's site. Eveything else is a minimum $10 off.

The bolded is what is important. And I'm not even going through the trouble of hunting down games for trade 2 deals.

How the hell are you getting games for the low of a price? Where do I get Future Shop coupons?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
How the hell are you getting games for the low of a price? Where do I get Future Shop coupons?
Through tsilon.ca.

Even then, during E3 you could get something similar (15 dollars off instead of 20) if you ordered 4 games at a time (and there's nothing stopping you from ordering one game and cancelling it).

Cheerilee

If anyone wants some (essentially) free money and cereal, Kelloggs has mail-in coupons in their cereal boxes for $5 prepaid gas cards, and qualifying boxes currently cost $4 at Superstore.

I got a few of these last year and they do work. There's a limit of four or five per-household though, so you can't RFD.

It's just like, $20 worth of gas for your car and four boxes of sugar for your morning and it only costs you $16 and some diabetes. It's worth it no matter which one you want. If you want both combined, it's a great price.

Omzz

How exactly does tsilon.ca work? I've never actually bothered to check it out. Seems like I'm missing out on a lot lol

Omzz

You get on the site, do some random tasks to level up, and once in a while they'll throw up new perks that you can get.

Just finished the codes to gain access to the full site. It then prompted me to enter name and would send me an email. Does it usually take time for that?

edit: ahhh never mind. I got confused lol. Looks like I got access. Let's see what I can do!

MrSlippery519

Neo Member
What's the catch? Isn't there a new ps3 model coming out soon?

That is the theory...word is 09/28 however none the less that is still an amazing deal at $199 with all 3 Uncharted games.

My 80GB died almost a month ago and and debating picking this up before the new model as I already own all Uncharted's can just sell them for 10-15 bucks each.

zroid

Banned
Ah... so the Wii U tsilon code is $50 off.

Well, I don't feel quite so bad then. If it were $100 I'd be in tears ;_;
level 24 plebeian

I think I'm still going to aim for Shoppers, I hope they get units at launch. I don't care if there's a bonus redemption or not.

Sora_N

Nice haha, I only preordered DoA5 for the CE but yeah I try not to pay full anymore. No point, I take my time with games anyways so I won't finish them fast enough.

That is the theory...word is 09/28 however none the less that is still an amazing deal at $199 with all 3 Uncharted games.

My 80GB died almost a month ago and and debating picking this up before the new model as I already own all Uncharted's can just sell them for 10-15 bucks each.

It seems the new model is only *slightly* smaller. The disc tray is like the PS2 pop-top kind, but slides open. The thing looks really ugly, and doesn't come with a hard drive - only 16gb of internal flash memory.

If the difference in sizes was like the PS2 Slim vs PS2 Phat, I'd be game, but for this, I'd rather shell out for the $199 deal.

Ah... so it's $50 off.

Well, I don't feel quite so bad then. If it were $100 I'd be in tears ;_;
level 24 plebeian

I think I'm still going to aim for Shoppers, I hope they get units at launch. I don't care if there's a bonus redemption or not.

It's more than $50 off. If you account for the Uncharted trilogy, everything comes out to over $300.

Check out Maynards on Main st. They might still have game accessories there for cheap. I got some point cards and a Wii Motion Plus Wiimote for 30% off.

How long does it take to get a FS coupon from tsilon? Anything more than an hour, and I'd rather be making real money.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
How long does it take to get a FS coupon from tsilon? Anything more than an hour, and I'd rather be making real money.
They were given away during E3 so it's not like you can get them now. At the time you could get up to 10 $20 off pre-order codes (for a total of $200 in savings) if you were level 20 or above IIRC. Level 10 people were eligible for 5 codes.

Getting up in levels is super easy at first since the gaming trivia when you first start will get you past level 10 without problem. Other ways to get XP to level up are through daily questions (they're not always daily and you'll soon learn that the site isn't updated on a very reliable schedule), Challenges (usually just earn a specific achievement/trophy in a specific game, 8 per week), or playing in live events with other members throughout the week (PSN/XBL/PC multiplayer in fighting/racing/FPS games).

Anyway, tsilon.ca discussion/questions should be in the thread for it.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=460186&page=76

zroid

Banned
They were given away during E3 so it's not like you can get them now. At the time you could get up to 10 $20 off pre-order codes (for a total of $200 in savings) if you were level 20 or above IIRC. Level 10 people were eligible for 5 codes.

I think they ultimately ended up changing it so everyone 10+ got the full ten codes. :eek:

BadWolf

Off-topic but I was wondering, is it bad for your credit to cancel a credit card?

I have quite a few but pretty much use just one, its balance gets zeroed out each month and the rest of the cards are always at zero since I don't use them.

Was thinking of at least getting rid of the one's that have an annual fee.

BTW what do you guys think of the Amazon.ca credit card? Just received it and it seems pretty good, no annual fee and you get Amazon points for each purchase. There is also no-interest payment plans on big purchases.

isny

napkin dispenser
Off-topic but I was wondering, is it bad for your credit to cancel a credit card?

I have quite a few but pretty much use just one, its balance gets zeroed out each month and the rest of the cards are always at zero since I don't use them.

Was thinking of at least getting rid of the one's that have an annual fee.

BTW what do you guys think of the Amazon.ca credit card? Just received it and it seems pretty good, no annual fee and you get Amazon points for each purchase. There is also no-interest payment plans on big purchases.

Smart Cash and the Amazon.ca cards are two of the best on the market right now.

In regards to your first question, it's not bad for your credit, but you may not be able to get that additional credit again through another creditor, as each creditor has difference lending practices and just because one will offer you 25k on a credit card doesn't mean that another will offer you 25k more if you close the competitors card.

BadWolf

Smart Cash and the Amazon.ca cards are two of the best on the market right now.

In regards to your first question, it's not bad for your credit, but you may not be able to get that additional credit again through another creditor, as each creditor has difference lending practices and just because one will offer you 25k on a credit card doesn't mean that another will offer you 25k more if you close the competitors card.

Awesome, I'll make the Amazon card my primary card then.

And really appreciate the tip, guess I'll keep all the cards just in case.

krae_man

I don't have anything against paying full price. Tsilon, Futureshop and Bestbuy are making it almost impossible to do so with the number of deals they are offering before launch however.

CenLX615

Neo Member
That FS coupon for Persona 4: The Golden, is it a tsilon.ca deal?
I don't see it in my perks list. Did I already miss out on it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom