• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vancouver-GAF meetup!
When: October 12th, 13th, or 14th.
Where: likely EXP Bar (309 West Pender Street Vancouver) www.expbar.ca

Just leave your username and the dates you'd be free, like so:

Lone_Prodigy
Friday Oct 12
Saturday Oct 13

Socreges

Banned
Paying way too much for cable/internet right now, especially since I don't really watch much television. Looking at reducing my bill....

For those of you that just have internet, what do you think is the best value?

Is 1.5 to 6.0 Mbps prohibitively slow? I'm on 20 Mbps right now, so I can expect download speeds to be several times slower, I guess?

I'm thinking of switching to Telus as a new customer and getting their 6-month promotion where I'd pay about half price. Can't see why not.

Firestorm

Paying way too much for cable/internet right now, especially since I don't really watch much television. Looking at reducing my bill....

For those of you that just have internet, what do you think is the best value?

Is 1.5 to 6.0 Mbps prohibitively slow? I'm on 20 Mbps right now, so I can expect download speeds to be several times slower, I guess?

I'm thinking of switching to Telus as a new customer and getting their 6-month promotion where I'd pay about half price. Can't see why not.
Don't. That's not a great deal.

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/telus-15-15-15-promo-925005/26/#post15388355

I PMed him. I'll give you the details when he answers back. I've dealt with him before for another friend. He'll just give a phone number of a sales rep to call. $20 a month if you don't use home phone. $30 a month if you do.

Firestorm

The smaller meetups I mentioned have a lot more locations and are in seven provinces.

Ontario
Barrie: Power Up Gaming
Brampton: Shopper’s World (Food Court)
Etobicoke: Humber College Lake Shore Campus (Lake Café)
Ottawa: World Exchange Plaza (Food Court)
Pickering: The park behind Pickering City Hall
Toronto: Yorkdale Shopping Centre (Dine on 3 Food Court)

They're also doing smaller meetups across the country this Saturday with free swag. Sad that Vancouver doesn't get a launch event :(

Ondore

No times for the smaller meetups? I can get to Scotia Square no problem, but just need to know when.

Edit: DURRR, I'm blind. (12-4 local time).

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Gah. Not going all the way to Thornhill for a PokeNerd meetup, as much as I'd like to attend. I need something Eglinton, or south. :(

Calls them nerds...wants to attend anyways... >>>>
image.php

sikkinixx

Don't. That's not a great deal.

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/telus-15-15-15-promo-925005/26/#post15388355

I PMed him. I'll give you the details when he answers back. I've dealt with him before for another friend. He'll just give a phone number of a sales rep to call. $20 a month if you don't use home phone. $30 a month if you do.

I'd like the number too. I'm a Telus Internet customer but might be swayed to add TV if they can give me a deal. Paying over $70 a month for Internet/phone is a bit nuts.

Firestorm

I'd like the number too. I'm a Telus Internet customer but might be swayed to add TV if they can give me a deal. Paying over $70 a month for Internet/phone is a bit nuts.
It's only for new customers unfortunately. You'll need to call retentions and try to grab it through them explaining that you find it unfair that a new customer gets these benefits and you don't as a long-time customer, etc.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
I imagine it would be fun for my Pocket Demons to actually get a challenge once in a while.
I hope I'm not up against tweens, because it's one thing to lose, but to lose to a pipsqueek. >:p

Firestorm

I imagine it would be fun for my Pocket Demons to actually get a challenge once in a while.
I hope I'm not up against tweens, because it's one thing to lose, but to lose to a pipsqueek. >:p
There are meetups, not tournaments.

Eastern Canada's Regional Tournament is on October 14th, 2012 in Toronto. Western Canada's Regional tournament is in Vancouver on April 14th, 2013.

Canadian National Championships will be in Toronto in the summer.

The Pokemon World Championships will be in Vancouver from August 9th - 11th, 2013. First time it's ever been held outside the United States. If you have any interest in Pokemon, you should seriously go. Exclusive Pokemon merchandise, autograph signings from Masuda and Ishihara, and a pretty great atmosphere. Just hoping they use west coast art as the theme instead of Beartics and Bibarels playing hockey and drinking moo moo milk in bags or something...

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad

Eastern Canada's Regional Tournament is on October 14th, 2012 in Toronto. Western Canada's Regional tournament is in Vancouver on April 14th, 2013.

The Pokemon World Championships will be in Vancouver from August 9th - 11th, 2013. First time it's ever been held outside the United States. If you have any interest in Pokemon, you should seriously go. Exclusive Pokemon merchandise, autograph signings from Masuda and Ishihara, and a pretty great atmosphere. Just hoping they use west coast art as the theme instead of Beartics and Bibarels playing hockey and drinking moo moo milk in bags or something...

I am so going, as a graduation trip! :D I have to do good at the locals and regionals to qualify for the tourneys. I like Masuda, he's Boss, check his twitter. Vancouver Canucks, honorary Hockey Pokemon unveiling.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product...spx?path=e954ceb4dd9f656f3f14ad6bd9900e47en02

Not according to that link :p
Does Shoppers do pre-orders? I have like 9 million points lol

Actually, it was available when he posted it. It showed 1 remaining. And then I preordered.
Looks like they've completely removed it from their site - do a search and you won't even find the Wii U Deluxe anymore.

AFAIK Shoppers doesn't do preorders. But if I fathom a guess, not many people buy from Shoppers. (I call it the 7-11 of Japan syndrome, where people lined up for hours for FF7 on launch, but you could just walk into a 7-11 and buy one). Shoppers was overflowing with 3DSs when it first launched, where other places didn't have nearly as many.

Ha, good call. I forgot that Best Buy now price matches online stores as well. Also, it didn't occur to me that they would price match what I thought was an exclusive bundle... wasn't sure how that worked.

Your advice is better!

You're right, Best Buy doesn't price match exclusive bundles. Like I said, I had to pull some strings (I know a guy that works in the GamerZone dept). But they did some serious screw ups that required days of sorting out before I got my price match (no fault of his). So in the end, while it would have been much more convenient for me to have just bought from Walmart, I'm glad that the people at Best Buy were accommodating.

Vancouver-GAF meetup!
When: October 12th, 13th, or 14th.
Where: likely EXP Bar (309 West Pender Street Vancouver) www.expbar.ca

Just leave your username and the dates you'd be free, like so:

Lone_Prodigy
Friday Oct 12
Saturday Oct 13

RadiantDreamer
Friday Oct 12
Saturday Oct 13

AlStrong

Probably a dumb question, but I don't suppose there's a chance of more MS point sales soon? The RB sale is making me wish I bought more last year. :p

Sora_N

I'm probably there, glad to be in Vancouver for once!

It has a T&T, so I made my peace with it.

Otherwise, it's an OK mall. It would always be empty when I went there.
meh I guess when you grow up in the area and went to the mall so goddamn often I kind of had enough reasons to grow sick of it, too many experiences.

Sounds scandalous... now I absolutely must go!
T&T is a bright spot! And I'm not even asian!

It's basically a mall mostly for girls. Lots of girl stores. Lots. At least the last time I went.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
meh I guess when you grow up in the area and went to the mall so goddamn often I kind of had enough reasons to grow sick of it, too many experiences.

T&T is a bright spot! And I'm not even asian!

It's basically a mall mostly for girls. Lots of girl stores. Lots. At least the last time I went.

T&T employees are so racist. That's my scarring experience with the store :lol (admittedly it only happened once, but I'll remember that one store :p)

Quick

Banned
I haven't been there in over a year. I also don't live in the area, so I didn't know it had such a negative stigma. It's like me with Fairview Mall in North York, been there too many times (pre-renovation), and I'm just sick of the place. Though I do find myself coming back there now since it looks nicer, but it's mostly for me going to the subway.

Smiley, what happened? I buy dim sum from T&T primarily since it's pretty damn good.

zroid

Banned
I guess I just don't spend enough time in malls to get "sick of them" xD

Usually my mall visits amount to heading directly to the Best Buy, EB Games, or the food court... and then getting the eff outta there.

Smiley90

I haven't been there in over a year. I also don't live in the area, so I didn't know it had such a negative stigma. It's like me with Fairview Mall in North York, been there too many times (pre-renovation), and I'm just sick of the place. Though I do find myself coming back there now since it looks nicer, but it's mostly for me going to the subway.

Smiley, what happened? I buy dim sum from T&T primarily since it's pretty damn good.

I got the weirdest stares when I went there with my asian gf (I'm white), and when I went to get bubble tea I repeated my order twice, the lady agreed twice to what I said while looking annoyed and still managed to get me the completely wrong order. Might be the language barrier, might be racist, but meh. Not the best experience in customer service I've had. :D

Again, that only happened once at one store, but it'll stay with me :p

zroid

Banned
Might be the language barrier, might be racist, but meh. Not the best experience in customer service I've had. :D

Definitely this. I've been to enough Asian grocery stores to know that the vast majority of their employees can barely speak a lick of English.

Generally the ones who do are positioned at the front registers.

Quick

Banned

Usually my mall visits amount to heading directly to the Best Buy, EB Games, or the food court... and then getting the eff outta there.

Fairview was briefly a spot my friends and I went to in high school. Then we moved onto to the dump called Scarborough Town Centre. Wasn't any better, but it was closer and it had a better theatre.

Fairview pretty much improved wholly. They have one of the nicer Cineplexes I've seen, bigger, too, I believe. I know that STC is currently getting renovated, so it should be interesting how it turns out.

I got the weirdest stares when I went there with my asian gf (I'm white), and when I went to get bubble tea I repeated my order twice, the lady agreed twice to what I said while looking annoyed and still managed to get me the completely wrong order. Might be the language barrier, might be racist, but meh. Not the best experience in customer service I've had. :D

Again, that only happened once at one store, but it'll stay with me :p

I know that feel bro. I'm Asian, and I pretty much have the same experience, minus the ordering part. I pretty much only speak English, so that could be it, too. :p

Smiley90

Fairview was briefly a spot my friends and I went to in high school. Then we moved onto to the dump called Scarborough Town Centre. Wasn't any better, but it was closer and it had a better theatre.

Fairview pretty much improved wholly. They have one of the nicer Cineplexes I've seen, bigger, too, I believe. I know that STC is currently getting renovated, so it should be interesting how it turns out.

I know that feel bro. I'm Asian, and I pretty much have the same experience, minus the ordering part. I pretty much only speak English, so that could be it, too. :p

You get stares at T&T and you're Asian? wat? Why that? Is your SO white or what? I'm confused why T&T employees would give you stares for being Asian...

Kazerei

Banned
My general policy is, if the person looks over 40 years old, speak Cantonese. If the person looks under 40 years old, speak English. Seems to work pretty well.

Quick

Banned
Maybe not as odd as the stares you get, Smiley, but I've gotten a couple.

Happens at Pacific Mall sometimes. But, again, I tend to really stand out because I don't act like your typical 20something Asian guy.

And on the flip side, there's a white girl working at the restaurant above Pacific Mall who speaks Cantonese (I'm pretty sure) and she seems to blend in just fine. She's pretty cute, I should add.

EDIT: I should add that I'm in the John Cho territory of Asian whiteness.

Sora_N

My general policy is, if the person looks over 40 years old, speak Cantonese. If the person looks under 40 years old, speak English. Seems to work pretty well.

I should try that, but I only speak Cantonese and English. So many people speak Mandarin now. =_=

that's me now, I go in and out. But in the younger years, living 1 minute walk away, it's hard not to be there often. Fairview is definitely a nightmare as well. So is yorkdale.

Only malls I don't mind are Centrepoint (not a lot of great stores but not a lot of people go there, plus it has all the basics you need), and Hilcrest, smaller brother version of fairview/yorkdale.

RS4-

Promenade is garbage.

STC and Fairview were the real malls (huge plus to their arcades back in the day).

Good times when STC theater was $2.

I think I should check out this white girl at Pacific.

Ive lived by fairview for years, and yup it totally was terrible several years ago. I still miss that rainbow cinemas though, even though the silver city is a vast improvement.

Freaking $4 for a movie!

DJ_Lae

Well, the move is over - no more Victoria, lots of Edmonton.

So far I've adjusted to the city being kind of, well, ugly. Okay, really ugly in comparison, outside of the river valley. Also, a larger proportion of people seem to smoke (cigarettes, at least) and the drivers are about as aggressive as I remember the last time I was here.

The process to finalize the move is kind of annoying, though. Cancel MSP, register family in Alberta, pay $10 for a printed paper to get an out of province car inspection, then another $150+ for the inspection, then I can insure the car, plus licenses and so on. Despite being a BCAA member none of my insurance discounts (home or car) transfer over to AMA either.

Also, utilities seem to all want deposits, which I find weird. Electricity and water were waived but gas was stubborn.

And in the process Telus managed to totally screw up my PVR's registration causing me to lose access to EVERY GODDAMN recorded show I had.

Oddly enough one of the things I expected to be the biggest hassle - changing more than a dozen shipping addresses on my Future Shop preorders - was absolutely painless.

So yeah, hello to everyone here who's in Edmonton. I know there were a few Victoria people on here, but no idea about Alberta.

SickBoy

Well, the move is over - no more Victoria, lots of Edmonton.

So far I've adjusted to the city being kind of, well, ugly. Okay, really ugly in comparison, outside of the river valley. Also, a larger proportion of people seem to smoke (cigarettes, at least) and the drivers are about as aggressive as I remember the last time I was here.

I would say Edmonton's uglier because you moved from a capital city and all the grooming inherent in that, but.... :) Calgary's probably better looking on the whole..

Alberta drivers are horrible in general.

And as you said in your post, transferring crap from province to province is a pain in the ass. It's kind of strange when you're used to the way one province does something and then crossing the border into a new reality (i.e: paying for provincial health care).

Quick

Banned
I'm fortunate enough to not get stares... cute white girl who speaks Cantonese? That sounds very rare and very hot.

It could be Mandarin on second thought, or even both. I can't tell. :p

Promenade is garbage.

STC and Fairview were the real malls (huge plus to their arcades back in the day).

Good times when STC theater was $2.

I think I should check out this white girl at Pacific.

She works at Axia on the second floor. Haven't been there in a couple of months, so no guarantees she's there anymore.

Ive lived by fairview for years, and yup it totally was terrible several years ago. I still miss that rainbow cinemas though, even though the silver city is a vast improvement.

Freaking $4 for a movie!

Exactly why we were there consistently. Can't go wrong with $4 for a movie.

RS4-

She works at Axia on the second floor. Haven't been there in a couple of months, so no guarantees she's there anymore.

I used to go there for lunch when I worked at Pacific, used to get my bubbletea there too since I only had to pay 1.50 lolol.

But yeah, been like 10 years since I've actually sat down and ate at Axia. Maybe I'll check it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom