• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

iphys

Retailers make something like 5$ off each 60$ game sold.

This is why you see places like Gamestop pricing used games only 5$ under new.

60$ new title? they get 5$ off that sale.
55$ used title? It's just slightly cheaper, and they get 30$ off the sale (or whatever difference from what they paid for the tradein).

$5 is probably what they make after you subtract their expenses, but they definitely aren't paying anywhere near $55 for the games. It costs a lot of money to pay for a store or warehouse, employees, shipping, credit card fees, etc. Best Buy would be totally broke from all their $10 pre-order discounts and free shipping.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
$5 is probably what they make after you subtract their expenses, but they definitely aren't paying anywhere near $55 for the games. It costs a lot of money to pay for a store or warehouse, employees, shipping, credit card fees, etc. Best Buy would be totally broke from all their $10 pre-order discounts and free shipping.
I dunno man, I remember talking to the local stores unaffiliated with the chains and their margins are pretty tiny on new games. The bulk of their profit comes from used.

SickBoy

I dunno man, I remember talking to the local stores unaffiliated with the chains and their margins are pretty tiny on new games. The bulk of their profit comes from used.

That may be true, but those stores are also paying some sort of distributor/wholesaler that's taking profit on every unit they sell, too. Best Buy's buying in mass quantities from the publisher and doing all that work themselves.

That said, I would imagine their margins are pretty slim on software, especially when it comes to standing promotions like $10 worth of Reward Zone points or what have you.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I already put this in the Buy Sell Thread but if anyone has RE 1, RE 2, and RE 3 codes from their Anthology that they don't want I would be interested in buying

Sora_N

If anyone's buying Wow Pandaria and wants a Steelbook from FS.ca, please let me know. I have a coupon code you can have.

Fuzzy

I've got a Steam key for the bonus games in the latest Humble Bundle that I tried to give to someone in the Toronto thread but nobody responded so now I'm trying in this thread. Quote this post and I'll PM you the code. If nobody here wants it then I'll try the free to a good home thread.

The following games are together in one key.

BIT.TRIP RUNNER
Jamestown
Wizorb
Gratuitous Space Battles

Proc

I've got a Steam key for the bonus games in the latest Humble Bundle that I tried to give to someone in the Toronto thread but nobody responded so now I'm trying in this thread. Quote this post and I'll PM you the code. If nobody here wants it then I'll try the free to a good home thread.

The following games are together in one key.

BIT.TRIP RUNNER
Jamestown
Wizorb
Gratuitous Space Battles
Me please

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
You can have RE1, I'm keeping 2 and 3.

Already did a trade RE4: HD for Gex: Enter the Gecko.

So now I just need to decide what I want to do with RE5: Gold

I actually asked in the RE6 thread if anyone was selling/trading RE3 or Code Veronica. Let me know if you change your mind.

Guesong

Does anyone here have had experiences with RBC Rewards programs before?

I redeemed a TV with it. While the website says it has shipped, RBC (for some ridiculous reason) provides us with no tracking number, and says that every reward should be delivered in an average of 4 (!) weeks.

So, on the off-chance that somebody ordered a similar item from them, how long does it take >_>

I'll take Res Evil codes if anyone is just tossing them away, I've only played part of REmake on the Cube and Code Veronica on the Dreamcast lol

I have a 360

I redeemed a TV with it. While the website says it has shipped, RBC (for some ridiculous reason) provides us with no tracking number, and says that every reward should be delivered in an average of 4 (!) weeks.

So, on the off-chance that somebody ordered a similar item from them, how long does it take >_>

I was with them for a few years. Never earned a TV, but I did earn a mortgage voucher (basically a gift certificate I could put towards my mortgage). If I remember correctly, it took 4-6 weeks to arrive at my house...that was about a year ago, so 4 weeks for a TV sounds realistic.

Sajjaja

Anyone know if that $10 for Diablo 3/SC2/MW3 and other PC games at Toys R Us is available in Canada? There's another thread for the US users where its happening but idk if its happening here too.

Remus

A TV? How many points was that?

DJ_Lae

Anyone know if that $10 for Diablo 3/SC2/MW3 and other PC games at Toys R Us is available in Canada? There's another thread for the US users where its happening but idk if its happening here too.

No idea but there's one near my place and I've been tempted to check it out after work. I'm not holding my breath, though.

Sora_N

Haven't seen anything but I only work once or twice a week at TRU. I honestly doubt we'll have D3 for $10. Hell, we don't even have any SC2 or MW3 at our store I think. We rarely ever have those price drops here, honestly.

Fuzzy

US store-specific sales never happen in Canadian stores also.

RS4-

Lol best buy. My sister has two games that are on the list to trade towards NBA 2k13 and its the whole "we can only give you credit and you can pay the difference"

I should've told her to talk to a manager but she had no time.

Next week's going to be fun.

Future Shop
Trade 2 (from the list at http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/category/used-games/27603.aspx updated this Friday):
Dishonored with steelbook
XCOM
Fable Journey
Harry Potter Kinect

Trade 1:
Pokemon B2/W2
Just Dance 4
Spy Hunter
Sniper 2 (delayed, so probably an error)

All the above games come with a $10 off $19.99 coupon for November (regardless if you buy/trade for it).

Max Payne $20
Journey Collection $20
GOW Saga $30
Star Wars Kinect $30
Sleeping Dogs $40
Tekken Tag $40

Best Buy

Trade 2 for JD4, Dishonored, Fable Journey
Trade 1 for Pokemon B2/W2

Just Dance 2/3/GH: $19.99 each

XBOX 360 4GB with $100 GC $199.99

$39.99:
Sleeping Dogs
Darksiders 2
Skyrim
Ghost Recon FS
Tekken Tag
Turtle Beach X12/P11

$29.99:
Batman AC GOTY
Saints Row 3
Lego Batman 2
Mario Kart 7
Mario 3D Land

$19.99:
Dead Island GOTY
Max Payne 3
RDR GOTY
Lollipop Chainsaw
GTAIV Complete

Guesong

I was with them for a few years. Never earned a TV, but I did earn a mortgage voucher (basically a gift certificate I could put towards my mortgage). If I remember correctly, it took 4-6 weeks to arrive at my house...that was about a year ago, so 4 weeks for a TV sounds realistic.

Gah, and I was so hoping it would be around 2 weeks maximum, with me living just beside Montreal and all. I was looking at RFD and some people over there said it was always a week for them...but them again I suppose Futureshop giftcards are easier to ship out for RBC than a TV. Though I cannot imagine a mortgage certificate being big either?

How can it take that long for something that stays national (I suppose). Bleh. If only they gave tracking...way to be cheapskates at that point.

A TV? How many points was that?

127,500 for a 50 inches Plasma TV.

At 135 000 you have the option for a 42 inches LED TV with glassless 3D and thin borders. But meh. Decided for the bigger screen and hoping Plasma is equal to LED nowadays.

snorggy

I see Lollipop Chainsaw will be on sale... so it's a good time for me to offer up costume codes for free! If anyone wants them, be the first to quote and I'll PM em to you.

The costumes are: Foxy Funk, Rockabilly, Goth Girl, Jimmy Urine.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I see Lollipop Chainsaw will be on sale... so it's a good time for me to offer up costume codes for free! If anyone wants them, be the first to quote and I'll PM em to you.

The costumes are: Foxy Funk, Rockabilly, Goth Girl, Jimmy Urine.

Sure, I'll take them!

Does Future Shop usually let you do a trade 2 for PC versions, or is it typically limited to console ones?

GMG has a sale going on for Dishonored and X-Com (if you can get someone outside of NA to buy it for you), so you might consider that unless you already have games you want to get rid of.

Exeunt

Hmm. Interesting deals at Futureshop this week; I already have Pokémon Black 2 preordered for $10 off but does anyone know if there are any currently available games on Futureshop's trade-in list that can be used as a cheap qualifier? I'm aware that they will update the list on Friday, but I thought I'd see if it's possible to get the game for cheap on launch day rather than waiting for Futureshop to ship my order.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Hmm. Interesting deals at Futureshop this week; I already have Pokémon Black 2 preordered for $10 off but does anyone know if there are any currently available games on Futureshop's trade-in list that can be used as a cheap qualifier? I'm aware that they will update the list on Friday, but I thought I'd see if it's possible to get the game for cheap on launch day rather than waiting for Futureshop to ship my order.
Armored Core and Ridge Racer were 20 bucks at FS last week. Not sure if they'll still be on the list (or if they're on sale).

Exeunt

Armored Core and Ridge Racer were 20 bucks at FS last week. Not sure if they'll still be on the list (or if they're on sale).

Looks like Ridge Racer is still on sale for that price, though since it's through their own store they might take it off the list by Friday. Thanks though, and I'll see what I can come up with. Any other suggestions are welcome of course!

Does Future Shop usually let you do a trade 2 for PC versions, or is it typically limited to console ones?

IMO, it's not worth doing a T2 for any PC game since there's no resale value and between Steam and its competitors, games are 50% off a few months after release. Unless you absolutely want a retail box or it's a Blizzard game, buy it online.

iphys

FYI, if you haven't ordered anything from the US in a while, Canada Post has raised their handling fee to $9.95, and stranger yet, they're now charging tax on top of the total tax+handling fee collected. Isn't that illegal to charge tax on tax?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
FYI, if you haven't ordered anything from the US in a while, Canada Post has raised their handling fee to $9.95, and stranger yet, they're now charging tax on top of the total tax+handling fee collected. Isn't that illegal to charge tax on tax?

Since when do Crown corporations care about what's illegal. :p

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
There an upcoming PS3 deal at FutureShop: Slim PS3 (360GB) + NHL 13 for 249$. Do you guys think it's a good deal? I'm also planning to price match at BestBuy if possible.

Well technically they'll call one not a tax most likely then it is a loop hole and legal. Like when you buy drinking boxes and they charge an environmental tax, I mean levy and then they charge PST and GST on that price total

Fuzzy

I guess you've never bought gas? HST is charged on top of the gas taxes.

In case someone misses it, here's the tsilon Assassin's Creed 3 launch event details. Go to the link and tell them you're going.
AC3 launch event in Toronto, Oct 18th. 30 G-List spots available, level 40+

More details to come on Thursday, October 4th.

DATE AND TIME - October 18th, 6:30pm to 11:00pm EST.
LOCATION - The Boiler House, 55 Mill St., Toronto, Ontario.

MEMBER REQUIREMENTS - All members wishing to attend will have to be 19 years of age or older with photo identification on their person, be able to attend the event at the specified time and place, and RSVP by Wednesday, October 10th.

Reply in this topic if you wish to be one of the attending members. Info will be required swiftly.

http://www.tsilon.ca/core/index.php?topic=1073.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom