• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
SDM 20x points day coming on the 20th. Super Redemption Day rumoured for December 1st. Prepare yourselves.

We don't know. Nintendo's press release didn't state any games specifically.

I felt sick reading this (not your fault!), it reminds me of the shit I did and I promised myself never again, even though I'm now in a homeless shelter back in Toronto (don't ask, it was my choice; this, or a horrible living experience back in Montreal X_x', emotionally I'm much better, I'm well taken care of, and I feel as such for the first time in years).

Note to folks; do not think of trying to buy things to gain uber points and use them, and then refund everything, even if it works, it's a bad thing and you should feel bad, I know I do. :( I'm not in trouble, but it is WAY too risky and you feel like a bastard since it's fraud.

Be an honest person, don't try to slip through cracks for extra money, be good and find honest alternatives. :)

zroid

Banned
Sorry to hear you're going through some stuff, man. Hope things get better for you, but it's good you're feeling well.

Don't feel TOO bad about the Optimum thing; even though it was shitty, most of us have "cheated the system" at one point or another. And just take a peek at RFD now and then to see what real assholes are doing.

isny

napkin dispenser
I felt sick reading this (not your fault!), it reminds me of the shit I did and I promised myself never again, even though I'm now in a homeless shelter back in Toronto (don't ask, it was my choice; this, or a horrible living experience back in Montreal X_x', emotionally I'm much better, I'm well taken care of, and I feel as such for the first time in years).

Note to folks; do not think of trying to buy things to gain uber points and use them, and then refund everything, even if it works, it's a bad thing and you should feel bad, I know I do. :( I'm not in trouble, but it is WAY too risky and you feel like a bastard since it's fraud.

Be an honest person, don't try to slip through cracks for extra money, be good and find honest alternatives. :)

Hopefully everything works out for the best for you =)

There are honest people like myself who spent a ton on chocolate at SDM for bonus points and will just use the system and redeem the points during bonus redemption. It's such a great deal that I didn't feel the need to scam them, as I'm already getting tons of free chocolate and hundreds in Optimum points =)

Sorry to hear you're going through some stuff, man. Hope things get better for you, but it's good you're feeling well.

Don't feel TOO bad about the Optimum thing; even though it was shitty, most of us have "cheated the system" at one point or another. And just take a peek at RFD now and then to see what real assholes are doing.

You haven't heard the half of it (like: being told you "fuck up everything you touch" and "you are a loser" by someone living with you in the home. :'( )

Two people, one of which was my cousin, and both were nasty as shit, as I was leaving, she wouldn't even tell me where box holding my Mum's ashes are, she made me look for them (I'm still debating where to finally release them, my dad's grave won't do since he's in a Jewish cemetery, Mum was Agnostic, fucking system. :'(, my friend is holding on to my things as well as the ashes, my cousin wouldn't let me keep my things there and let me come back for them).

Yeah, real shit.

Pain and suffering, maybe I should drop by that Depression topic in the OT that I've heard about.

I'm glad I have folks here to speak to (I mean GAF!), those bitches even accused you guys for giving my the Optimum abuse idea and banned me from using the internet at home. o_O

I should stop before I feel worse again. :(

iphys

Glad you changed your mind about this. Try to give SDM some legitimate business in the future, and all will be good. Even if you don't have a lot of money to spare, they usually have some pretty good sales on food that beat the grocery store.

The depression thread might be a good start but ultimately you should try to seek help from professionals. There are services available to you that are complete free (government funded) just do some Google searches.

iphys

Hmmm, looking over the SDM flyer for the 20x this Saturday, they have the regular 3DS for $150 -- been a while since they had the $20 off on it combined with a 20x. Also, Just Dance 4 for Wii for $30.

The depression thread might be a good start but ultimately you should try to seek help from professionals. There are services available to you that are complete free (government funded) just do some Google searches.

I have social workers and such where I am, a medical area, etc. :)

Great food too, you can really stuff yourself. :D

And I have my own room due to my medical issues, so it`s a lovely start. :)

Thanks. :)

ozhenson

Just wondering if there is currently any way to avoid paying full price for Dishonored on 360? I am aware this is a pretty big ask this early after launch, but any tips would be pretty appreciated.

If not, it does look like a game well worth the full retail price.

Best Buy currently has it listed on their site under a Trade 2 promotion. If you feel like shopping around for eligible games, you might be able to get a bit of a deal.

Has anyone seen any deals for 007 Legends? I'm a little doubtful it's going to be any good, but I want to pick it up anyway.

Fyi to all Canadians: oct 16th is the national hiring day for Bell. Hiring agents will be in bell corporate stores tomorrow and will be accepting résumés and possibly conducting spot interviews if you're up to snuff. Not sûre if anyone in here is interested, but of course if you want to pm me and show me your resume I probably won't mind putting in a good word on your behalf. The Vancouver call centre is also hiring, so once again, if you are well qualified (ie: have a pleasant phone voice and are not a complete troglodyte) feel free to pm me. If you pass muster (or one of your nieces nephews, friends etc) I would give my employee number which you attach to the application (call centre application is done online, also we make more money than store agents). If you apply without it you are just in the queue with everyone else, and it can't be added after a resume is submitted. Anyways, let me know if you're keen, I know most gaffers are tech savvy so at least I can pretend to avoid claims of nepotism.

Sora_N

Fyi to all Canadians: oct 16th is the national hiring day for Bell. Hiring agents will be in bell corporate stores tomorrow and will be accepting résumés and possibly conducting spot interviews if you're up to snuff. Not sûre if anyone in here is interested, but of course if you want to pm me and show me your resume I probably won't mind putting in a good word on your behalf. The Vancouver call centre is also hiring, so once again, if you are well qualified (ie: have a pleasant phone voice and are not a complete troglodyte) feel free to pm me. If you pass muster (or one of your nieces nephews, friends etc) I would give my employee number which you attach to the application (call centre application is done online, also we make more money than store agents). If you apply without it you are just in the queue with everyone else, and it can't be added after a resume is submitted. Anyways, let me know if you're keen, I know most gaffers are tech savvy so at least I can pretend to avoid claims of nepotism.

Any part-time positions or all full-time? Gf wants a new job. We are in Vancouver/Burnaby if that helps.

Lurkee

Neo Member
Is anyone interested in buying LittleBigPlanet Vita or Borderlands 2 (Bobblehead Edition) for the prices I got them for? After using Tsilon perks, LBP Vita came out to $23 and the Borderlands 2 collector's edition was $80.

I'm too busy with school now and have no time to play them, so I was planning on returning them tomorrow, but I just realized maybe someone here would want to get these games for a discount. I'm located in Toronto, by the way.

Is anyone interested in buying LittleBigPlanet Vita or Borderlands 2 (Bobblehead Edition) for the prices I got them for? After using Tsilon perks, LBP Vita came out to $23 and the Borderlands 2 collector's edition was $80.

I'm too busy with school now and have no time to play them, so I was planning on returning them tomorrow, but I just realized maybe someone here would want to get these games for a discount. I'm located in Toronto, by the way.

I'd be interested in LBP.

Lurkee

Neo Member
I'd be interested in LBP.

Replied to your PM.

And yeah, the Borderlands 2 Collector's Edition is $80 after taxes with the perk. Even with the $30 off, I'm having a hard time seeing the value in it. Maybe if it were the treasure chest edition instead, lol.

AAK

Anybody know what is the cheapest deal I can get the Wii for before the 25th October? I know there's a deal for 130 on the 28th but it's a gift that was requested of me. Any ideas or is the futureshop/bestbuy/walmart bundles the best price already?

firehawk12

Subete no aware

Mostly out of curiosity, but what is the hiring process for the people who are out in the field fixing phone lines and making house calls?

zroid

Banned
Anybody know what is the cheapest deal I can get the Wii for before the 25th October? I know there's a deal for 130 on the 28th but it's a gift that was requested of me. Any ideas or is the futureshop/bestbuy/walmart bundles the best price already?

I wouldn't call 130 a "deal" since its price was officially dropped to 130 just now.

If you're an Optimum member the upcoming 20x promo may be enticing if Shoppers follows the new MSRP.

Mostly out of curiosity, but what is the hiring process for the people who are out in the field fixing phone lines and making house calls?

No idea, totally different field than mine. I would say rough and tumble good looks and the ability to kindle that fire in your heart that you thought you had lost long ago...

I mean... Be good with phones?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
No idea, totally different field than mine. I would say rough and tumble good looks and the ability to kindle that fire in your heart that you thought you had lost long ago...

I mean... Be good with phones?
Well, I mean, I guess you can't walk into a Bell store and submit your resume there? lol

the3ye

Kinda off topic but related to Bell. Since your work for them, do you have any idea when do they plan to start unlocking iPhones? I'm stuck with my i4 and I can't make them unlock it ><

wingz

Thank you so much for this information. I just started researching the applicable locations in the GTA. Tomorrow is gonna be a busy day...

Socreges

Banned
Replied to your PM.

And yeah, the Borderlands 2 Collector's Edition is $80 after taxes with the perk. Even with the $30 off, I'm having a hard time seeing the value in it. Maybe if it were the treasure chest edition instead, lol.
That's what I'm saying. I don't think I could ever justify spending so much on a single video game.

iphys

I wouldn't call 130 a "deal" since its price was officially dropped to 130 just now.

If you're an Optimum member the upcoming 20x promo may be enticing if Shoppers follows the new MSRP.

SDM isn't always on the ball when the MSRP drops. It's in their flyer for $140 next week, but still a better deal with the 20x on Saturday than paying $130 elsewhere without.

Well, I mean, I guess you can't walk into a Bell store and submit your resume there? lol

It couldn't hurt. But like i said, It's a totally different department. If I'm not mistaken, installers all do their applications online, so just check it out there.

Kinda off topic but related to Bell. Since your work for them, do you have any idea when do they plan to start unlocking iPhones? I'm stuck with my i4 and I can't make them unlock it ><

No one knows. It was only recently that telus or rogers started doing the unlocks, so its hard to say when it could happen because there's was pretty much out of nowhere. The companies have to agree to terms in regards to the API that are required to unlock everything, but in reality, it isn't in any companies interest to unlock iPhones, so it could just be that we never have it and too bad, so sad. I'm not in marketing, it's their call to make.

i-Lo

Hey guys, does anyone know which stores are offering the Strike Pack pre order bonus for NFS most wanted in Canada (Toronto)?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
No one knows. It was only recently that telus or rogers started doing the unlocks, so its hard to say when it could happen because there's was pretty much out of nowhere. The companies have to agree to terms in regards to the API that are required to unlock everything, but in reality, it isn't in any companies interest to unlock iPhones, so it could just be that we never have it and too bad, so sad. I'm not in marketing, it's their call to make.
Yeah, I asked in store when I was iPhone 5 shopping and they looked at me like I was crazy.

Canada getting fucked once again. Yay! lol

B-Dex

Rogers triple charged my bill. Act like nothing wrong happened. Talked to me like total assholes over the phone when I called about it.

Which is the lesser evil telus or bell?

Rogers can fuck off.

Telling me i'm an idiot when THEIR billing system triple charged my card... Ridiculous.

Rogers triple charged my bill. Act like nothing wrong happened. Talked to me like total assholes over the phone when I called about it.

Rogers can fuck off.

Telling me i'm an idiot when THEIR billing system triple charged my card... Ridiculous.
telus is the least evil of the 3. Factually.

Rogers and Bell are both equally evil but in different ways (and lots of similar ways).

wingz

Damn that's messed up. Dealing with CSRs from Rogers is a total pain in the ass sometimes.

Do you get charged tax when buying PSN cards from retail stores or you get charged the actual amount of tax when you use the card to make a purchase on PSN?

I just viewed some reviews/videos of the Unfinished Swan and seems like a definite purchase.

iphys

Rogers can fuck off.

If they're not cancelling the charges, you should dispute the charges with your credit card company.

Quick

Banned
Damn that's messed up. Dealing with CSRs from Rogers is a total pain in the ass sometimes.

Do you get charged tax when buying PSN cards from retail stores or you get charged the actual amount of tax when you use the card to make a purchase on PSN?

I just viewed some reviews/videos of the Unfinished Swan and seems like a definite purchase.

You pay for the amount, no tax.

Cool thing with PSN and Ontario (I'm pretty sure it's Canada-wide) is there's no tax on your purchases. $59.99 remains at $59.99. It's been an easier decision buying a digital copy for me recently, rather than going for a retail copy.

wingz

You pay for the amount, no tax.

Cool thing with PSN and Ontario (I'm pretty sure it's Canada-wide) is there's no tax on your purchases. $59.99 remains at $59.99. It's been an easier decision buying a digital copy for me recently, rather than going for a retail copy.

Thanks for the info! That's pretty cool that ON doesn't charge taxes on purchases.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Thanks for the info! That's pretty cool that ON doesn't charge taxes on purchases.
I imagine some massive law is being broken or something. Either that, or since MS went to the giftcard system and you don't pay taxes on XBLM purchases, they decided to fuck it and go taxless as well.

I actually just bought the 29.99 dollar borderlands dlc and it charged me the flat charge, same for ff3, I live in bc and my account is attributed as such...

telus is the least evil of the 3. Factually.

Rogers and Bell are both equally evil but in different ways (and lots of similar ways).

Bell and telus are more identical than bell and rogers. Ultimately no company is perfect. From my experience telus and bell are equally evil, telus just does the cutesy animal stuff whig makes people less likely to complain about a good wallop to the wallet. Ultimately every company bills you the same for extra data or minutes, how you perceive it really has nothing to do with the facts. Shit if you want to talk about doing some good, it was due to bells mental health campaign that telus really kicked up their giving programs and ramped up their exposure.

Rogers can fuck off.

go with wind, moblicity if you can or any other alternative. If you have to sign up with those three bastards do not sign contract. Go with month to month kind of thing.

G17

go with wind, moblicity if you can or any other alternative. If you have to sign up with those three bastards do not sign contract. Go with month to month kind of thing.

Going with WIND with a pay before plan of $29/month for unlimited talk/text/data is the best thing ever. Especially since it's pay before with no bills.

If the newcomers aren't an option for you, I guess Telus since I hate Bell customer service. Though Telus could be just as worse never had to deal with them.

It was funny, I had a guy call me yesterday asking why he wasn't receiving any calls on his new wind phone (he had ported from bell to wind two days prior). I told him that it could be environmental or service was down with wind who knows. He then blamed bell for his bad wind service. Many lols were had.

Going with WIND with a pay before account 29/month Unlimted talk/text/data is the best thing ever. Especially since it's pay before with no bills.

If the newcomers aren't an option for you, I guess Telus since I hate Bell customer service. Though Telus could be just as worse never had to deal with them.

Bell is actually second highest in customer satisfaction, only behind koodo. I never had any problems with telus csr's though. I'd say that the only problem with them is that they are actually told to upsell features. One guy wouldn't leave me alone to get call display, even when I pointed out that even my girlfriend doesn't call me. Somewhat forever alone.

hoverX

I've heard some horror stories about Rogers but to be honest, they've been pretty good to me. They called me up out of the blue and offered me a great deal just cause I was a good customer.

I pay $200 for VIP TV, Ultimate internet and i have an iPhone with a 6GB data plan.

Their customer support can be hit or miss but nothing catastrophically bad has ever happened.

Smash88

Banned
I imagine some massive law is being broken or something. Either that, or since MS went to the giftcard system and you don't pay taxes on XBLM purchases, they decided to fuck it and go taxless as well.

Steam has been taxless since 2004. I've never had to pay tax on Steam and it's the best thing ever. With 13% tax (in Ontario) it's such a bitch.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Steam has been taxless since 2004. I've never had to pay tax on Steam and it's the best thing ever. With 13% tax (in Ontario) it's such a bitch.
Steam is a US company though, and you are also being charged in USD.

I guess since they don't have any presence in Canada (or anywhere else), they can do whatever they want.

SickBoy

I like Telus as a company... all my home services are through them, but I've heard they're a touch immovable on wireless contracts.

I'm on their network (with Bell) and have had no issues with the quality of their offering, and, knock on wood, I really haven't had any issues with their service to date after 4-4 1/2 years. In fact, when I last upgraded my phone, I managed to get a deal that I'd been led to believe was impossible by the people of the Internet (early upgrade -- with a slightly higher outlay for the phone -- plus a retentions deal. Can't remember which aspect was "undoable," but I got it done... although I was legitimately willing to walk)

So my 3-year contract with Rogers is officially up today. I've already called BELL and I'm going to call TELUS tomorrow to see who's going to give me the best deal (for an iPhone 5 and a new contract).

I was paying $96 (+ tax) a month with Rogers.

I just got off the phone with Rogers after informing them that my contract was up and that I was going to consider switching providers, but I'd be willing to stay with them if they offered the best deal. The representative on the line spent the next 15 minutes detailing their available promotions based on what I was looking for.

I was typing everything out in a Word doc to keep track of it all. When she was done, I added everything up, and every single plan she offered me cost more than my current one. I pointed this out and she said, "Oh, yeah I guess you'd want to keep your current plan then."

So I'm thinking there's a good chance I'm not going to be with Rogers anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom