• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firestorm

Only reason it's in Vancouver is because it's close to NoA in Redmond Washington. If NoA was in New York then NoC would be in Toronto or even Kingston. :lol
This is also where Arakawa first lived before being asked to move to the US and start up Nintendo of America. Japan is close by too ;D

Cheerilee

Then why is Nintendo of Canada located in Vancouver?

When Minoru Arakawa first married Yamauchi's daughter and moved out of Japan, he moved to Vancouver and became a real estate developer. Yamauchi was impressed with Arakawa's Vancouver success so he offered him the nonexistent Nintendo of America.

Arakawa figured that a big time international company needed to be in New York so he started NOA over there, but then he realized that was stupid for a Pacific Rim company to be on the East Coast, so he moved NOA back towards Seattle.

Reggie decided to break NOA up a little, so he sold some prime Nintendo real estate to Microsoft and moved himself and the marketing division to New York.

I heard that Arakawa apparently still owns (but doesn't personally operate) a sushi restaurant in Vancouver, but I don't know which one.

isny

napkin dispenser
When Minoru Arakawa first married Yamauchi's daughter and moved out of Japan, he moved to Vancouver and became a real estate developer. Yamauchi was impressed with Arakawa's Vancouver success so he offered him the nonexistent Nintendo of America.

Arakawa figured that a big time international company needed to be in New York so he started NOA over there, but then he realized that was stupid for a Pacific Rim company to be on the East Coast, so he moved NOA back towards Seattle.

Reggie decided to break NOA up a little, so he sold some prime Nintendo real estate to Microsoft and moved himself and the marketing division to New York.

I heard that Arakawa apparently still owns (but doesn't personally operate) a sushi restaurant in Vancouver, but I don't know which one.

NOC also used to be run out of Toronto back when Mattel was distributing for them.

Cheerilee

And subsequently every other gaming company being in Redmond =)

Except Microsoft. They didn't care about games at all when they moved in next to Nintendo. And now they're the greatest at them!

wTmwe.gif

filipe

So this Toys 'R' Us moonlight madness sale that's happening.. is it just online or are stores staying open? Wouldn't mind picking up and 3DS XL for a little cheaper.

zroid

Banned
Stores are staying open (most of them anyway). Also apparently you get 100 bonus Air Miles if you spend $100! That's not bad.

Nothing I really want, though. The PlayStation display is kinda tempting but ehh, I don't even know where I'd put it.

Sora_N

I'm working tonight at TRU but good thing my store is in a mall, so not open till 12. :) The TV is tempting but I think I'll pass since I heard it sucks.

Deadly

There's no way to bypass the Quebec shipping thing for Halo 4 is there? Fucking ridiculous shit seriously. I fucking hate bilingual covers too.

I'll be in town on the 21st if we want to do a GAF meetup?

We should also schedule a meetup for Ottawa for one of the days the tour will be in Ottawa =)

I will be, finally back from Montreal! :D

So the 20th? I'll be in the area all weekend.

BTW, some deals and rare games:

Shinobi 3D is $10 at VGP.

Rare games include Viva Pinata: Pocket Paradise (ahem) for $20, located at the EB around Queen and Spadina, just grabbed it yesterday FINALLY! :D

And Blue Dragon: Awakened Shadow is $20 at VGP.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
The 20th is easier for me considering it's a Saturday ... but I have a midterm the following Monday.

I wonder if I'll see it being set up on the Friday since I'm at Ryerson anyway lol.

Sheik

Doctor Lautrec for the 3DS is $10.42 on Amazon.ca right now. Passing on it myself but letting you guys know in case anyone is interested.

Also, I have a question for those of you who have traded in games to Future Shop. Can you do more than one trade-in at once? For example, on October 30th there are like 4 Vita games coming out, and I'd like trade MGS HD and Skyward Sword for AC3L and NFSMW.

I've only traded in games to Future Shop once before and the customer service rep would only let me do one game (Batman AC for MGS HD). She said it was because the $20 FFXII-2 I bought at Walmart was a budget version that they don't accept or something, but this was way prior to it being taken off the list with reports from people on Neogaf the same day saying it worked fine for them. I'm wondering if it just didn't work because she tried doing it in the same transaction or you can only do one trade-in per visit or something?

Hilti92

I was at EB Games today and they had a few old shit games on a clearance rack for $1.99 each. So I guess if you just want to add to your collection, go take a look. I got Madden 09 Collectors Edition for $1.99 NEW. Bomba.

zroid

Banned
Doctor Lautrec for the 3DS is $10.42 on Amazon.ca right now. Passing on it myself but letting you guys know in case anyone is interested.

Also, I have a question for those of you who have traded in games to Future Shop. Can you do more than one trade-in at once? For example, on October 30th there are like 4 Vita games coming out, and I'd like trade MGS HD and Skyward Sword for AC3L and NFSMW.

I've only traded in games to Future Shop once before and the customer service rep would only let me do one game (Batman AC for MGS HD). She said it was because the $20 FFXII-2 I bought at Walmart was a budget version that they don't accept or something, but this was way prior to it being taken off the list with reports from people on Neogaf the same day saying it worked fine for them. I'm wondering if it just didn't work because she tried doing it in the same transaction or you can only do one trade-in per visit or something?

You can do multiple trades. As far as I know, the only real restriction they have in place is you're not allowed to trade more than one copy of the same game, even if they're for different platforms.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
^ Thanks for all the speedy replies guys. Well I'm primarily getting it for Halo 4, which is only described as "requiring 8-16GB" of space, so I figure it's safer to get a 16GB where I can also use the rest of the space to make up for the lack thereof on my aging 20GB HDD.

Giard

^ Thanks for all the speedy replies guys. Well I'm primarily getting it for Halo 4, which is only described as "requiring 8-16GB" of space, so I figure it's safer to get a 16GB where I can also use the rest of the space to make up for the lack thereof on my aging 20GB HDD.

Ahh... I forgot about that. I should get one too.

Sheik

You can do multiple trades. As far as I know, the only real restriction they have in place is you're not allowed to trade more than one copy of the same game, even if they're for different platforms.

Ah, thanks. Damn incompetent CSR. I asked her get a manager for me but she flat out refused and said she was sure she could not accept the game. Oh well.

Cheerilee

In that case, the 8GB drive I posted might be totally inadequate, because while it claims to be 8GB, in reality it's only around 7.5GB.

xCobalt

I'm in the same boat. Didn't realize halo 4 needed that much space.

Anyone know how to tell if a USB stick will be compatible for the xbox?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
In that case, the 8GB drive I posted might be totally inadequate, because while it claims to be 8GB, in reality it's only around 7.5GB.
It's a bit confusing, considering the page on the official Xbox site for Halo 4 storage required isn't very clear.

It says you need at least an 8GB thumb drive, but I assumed that was just for the Spartan Ops downloadable missions which was quoted in PR earlier as requiring some large amount of HDD space partitioned. But then later on that page it says Halo's Infinity Multiplayer (essentially all competitive multiplayer parts of the game) requires 4GB too.. but I'm not sure if that's part of the 8GB suggested. Even more confusingly, it's listed under Limited Edition content, and I'm damn sure competitive multiplayer isn't exclusive to that. Perhaps they're talking about the Season Pass content, but it's not worded clearly.

I'm in the same boat. Didn't realize halo 4 needed that much space.

Anyone know how to tell if a USB stick will be compatible for the xbox?
Anything should work, no reason why not since it's a standard. MS' official page does not specify anything further either. You need to format it through your Xbox though.

Quick

Banned
Could be a stupid question, but are the Signature Edition content (exclusive to EB Games) available for purchase on the PS Store/XBL Marketplace on the day of release?

I'm debating whether to place a pre-order on ACIII or wait until FS and Best Buy do another trade-in deal.

EDIT: Would the Spend $100, get $20 back promo apply to pre-ordering ACIII+ACIII: Liberation on the PS Store?

For those who still want to preorder a Deluxe Wii U in store, Toys-R-Us has started preorders on the Deluxe edition only. Just did one at the Dufferin Mall location. They have no signage up and I was the first one they did.

TheExodu5

Banned
Heads-up to any beer lovers in Ottawa: go try out the in-house craft Ashton Vanilla Stout at Patty's Pub. It's incredible. They have a Pumpkin Spice seasonal on right now that's really interesting as well.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Is there a list available of the playable games at the Wii U Experience in Canada?

I'd like to know what's playable. I'm hoping The Wonderful 101 but I'm doubtful. I'm guessing Nintendo Land, New Super Mario Bros. U, Rayman Legends and ZombiU will be there for sure.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
SDM 20x points day coming on the 20th. Super Redemption Day rumoured for December 1st. Prepare yourselves.

Is there a list available of the playable games at the Wii U Experience in Canada?

I'd like to know what's playable. I'm hoping The Wonderful 101 but I'm doubtful. I'm guessing Nintendo Land, New Super Mario Bros. U, Rayman Legends and ZombiU will be there for sure.

We don't know. Nintendo's press release didn't state any games specifically.

Some iOS App Store Codes:

Draw Something: ETLA3WH99N3F
Halftone: HE3E444F4ALK
Pocketbooth: F7JFHN7MPYHY, KY94MLFXTY7J, 6F7KXATEF4PK

If the code is busted, then someone used it.

Good luck.

Not really a deal as much as a PSA for anyone looking forward to the Killzone HD trilogy. The street date (which was supposed to be the 23rd) was broken, and it's now available. For Ottawa folks, I was able to pick it up at the Best Buy in Kanata, and it was also available at the EB Games on the other side of the parking lot, too.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Not really a deal as much as a PSA for anyone looking forward to the Killzone HD trilogy. The street date (which was supposed to be the 23rd) was broken, and it's now available. For Ottawa folks, I was able to pick it up at the Best Buy in Kanata, and it was also available at the EB Games on the other side of the parking lot, too.

Is Killzone 1 on disc or is it a DLC voucher?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom