• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So my 3-year contract with Rogers is officially up today. I've already called BELL and I'm going to call TELUS tomorrow to see who's going to give me the best deal (for an iPhone 5 and a new contract).

I was paying $96 (+ tax) a month with Rogers.

I just got off the phone with Rogers after informing them that my contract was up and that I was going to consider switching providers, but I'd be willing to stay with them if they offered the best deal. The representative on the line spent the next 15 minutes detailing their available promotions based on what I was looking for.

I was typing everything out in a Word doc to keep track of it all. When she was done, I added everything up, and every single plan she offered me cost more than my current one. I pointed this out and she said, "Oh, yeah I guess you'd want to keep your current plan then."

So I'm thinking there's a good chance I'm not going to be with Rogers anymore.

It's all about exploiting retentions. If you switch, you go to the back of the line and don't get any deals.

If RFD is good for anything, it's the thread explaining how to milk your long term relationship with Rogers. You should do that because you can probably get something better than whatever you would get from Bell or Telus as a new customer.

Of course, I hate that buying a cellphone is like going to an Asian market, but when you have what amounts to a duopoly in Canada (and you want an iPhone), what can you do?

wingz

Anybody know how long Future Shop online preorders usually take to arrive without paying for the faster shipping?

If you live in the GTA, most orders arrive on release day, but some orders may take a few days to arrive. It all depends on when they ship the product. Most of the time they shipped my orders Monday, and I received it on Tuesday. I did have an order where they shipped the product late.

What do you even have on your plan that amounts to 96 bucks? Both bell and telus have a 4gb fab ten plan at 75 bucks. 200 local minutes, fab 10 6pm calling, unltd sms/pic/vid, 4gb, ten hours for free of mobile tv with bell.

Shit, even if you are a crazy calling person, bell has an 83 dollar fab ten plan which has 1000 minutes with all of the other stuff at 3gb, but you get a 7 dollar call display voicemail to equal 90. Sounds like you should probably just call back...

firehawk12

Subete no aware
What do you even have on your plan that amounts to 96 bucks? Both bell and telus have a 4gb fab ten plan at 75 bucks. 200 local minutes, fab 10 6pm calling, unltd sms/pic/vid, 4gb, ten hours for free of mobile tv with bell.

Shit, even if you are a crazy calling person, bell has an 83 dollar fab ten plan which has 1000 minutes with all of the other stuff at 3gb, but you get a 7 dollar call display voicemail to equal 90. Sounds like you should probably just call back...
Given that the new plans being offered to him are even more expensive, I figure he must have specific needs not met by the standard plans.

Given that the new plans being offered to him are even more expensive, I figure he must have specific needs not met by the standard plans.

Shit I hope so. But even at that, the 96 dollar plan simply sounds wrong given what I know about rogers plans and their retention process. 1000 minutes with the fab 10 covers most people. Otherwise I've heard that rogers also sometimes does single line small business activations. They have an 87 dollar plan with pretty much everything in it. YMMV If they give it to you though, bell has the same plan that's better and slightly cheaper, but we require two lines for small biz promo plans.

Firestorm

I've had good dealings with Telus and Rogers but absolutely horrid with Bell. Bell is legitimately the worst company I've ever had the misfortune to deal with. I'm really glad I don't have to deal with them again. Telus is a great ISP and Rogers has been good to me whenever I've called and needed to adjust my plan. I don't expect them to be as nice when my contract is up though so I'll likely have to change providers then.
So my 3-year contract with Rogers is officially up today. I've already called BELL and I'm going to call TELUS tomorrow to see who's going to give me the best deal (for an iPhone 5 and a new contract).

I just got off the phone with Rogers after informing them that my contract was up and that I was going to consider switching providers, but I'd be willing to stay with them if they offered the best deal. The representative on the line spent the next 15 minutes detailing their available promotions based on what I was looking for.

I was typing everything out in a Word doc to keep track of it all. When she was done, I added everything up, and every single plan she offered me cost more than my current one. I pointed this out and she said, "Oh, yeah I guess you'd want to keep your current plan then."

So I'm thinking there's a good chance I'm not going to be with Rogers anymore.
When you said what you did, did they transfer you to another rep? Because it sounds like you weren't talking to Retentions. Get through to Retentions and explain to them what you need in a plan and how much you're looking to spend. I think that brings better results.

Here's my current (expiring) Rogers plan off the top of my head:

Total: $96 (+ tax)

300 minutes (dunno if it's local or nationwide)
Call display, name display, voicemail
My 5
Unlimited Messaging
iPhone bonus pack (visual voicemail and whatever else comes with that)
6GB data
Data sharing (with my iPad)

In terms of what I'm looking for with a new plan, I don't need many minutes at all. I hardly use the phone to call people. It's all about data for me, since the wifi in my building often goes down and I need to use my 3G/LTE. Data sharing and unlimited messaging are musts.

I fucking hate how much we get bent over the barrel in this country.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

My 5
Unlimited Messaging
6GB data

In terms of what I'm looking for with a new plan, I don't need many minutes at all. I hardly use the phone to call people. It's all about data for me, since the wifi in my building often goes down and I need to use my 3G/LTE. Data sharing and unlimited messaging are musts.

Ah, I guess maybe it's the datasharing? I remember they said it was 10 bucks extra to do it on my end.

Still, I got almost the exact same plan (differences are 200 minutes, Fab 10, no data sharing) for 75 from Bell (which was the standard promotion that all three carriers had) for reference, so... I dunno if you're getting screwed for data sharing or not.

But yeah, make sure you talk to a retentions agent. They're the only ones who can give you deals.

Alternatively, since you can tether, you could always just use your phone as a hotspot and forgo data sharing costs altogether...

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.

My 5
Unlimited Messaging
6GB data

I'm with Rogers too, I pay 60 bucks for unlimited texting, my5, 6gb data, but no call display or data sharing. That difference is really 30 bucks? wow.

Tabris

I have the following:

6GB Data
Unlimited Local Calling
Unlimited Messaging
Visual Voicemail, Caller ID, Call Waiting

This runs me $72 (with tax) with Fido.

JimFear

Banned
i dont know if it has been posted already but it looklike Medal of honor will be 39.89$ at wall mart

wmadmohwf3983.png

Maximus.

Question about the $100 off xbox 360! If I buy it in store, is the 100 deductible off the 360 or my next purchase? I know if I was able to order it online its automatically deducted. I dont want 100 credit for next time, rather I want it off the 360 if I pick it up in store...

I've gotten pre-orders on futureshop's website on release day with the default free shipping. I live in Toronto. The one time I didn't they gave me credit to use on my next purchase.

zroid

Banned
I've gotten pre-orders on futureshop's website on release day with the default free shipping. I live in Toronto. The one time I didn't they gave me credit to use on my next purchase.

I think it just depends how close you live to one of their main warehouses. Probably everyone in the GVA and GTA usually get next day delivery for their freely shipped orders.

kennah

Walmart Canada tends to do that now and again. I remember Arkham Asylum launched at $40 here.

you forgot borderlands 1 :)

Yep, picked up both of those on that release. It became a bit of a barometer for good games that I hadn't heard of for me for a while.

This one... not so sure, not a fan of the Medal of Honor series since the first one. (though I did pick up the Dudebro Beard one from Origin-mas, so could get caught up)

zroid

Banned
Update: Best Buy customer service responded

Thank you for contacting Best Buy Canada, in regard to the Paper Mario Sticker star game. I apologize for any frustration with your purchase.

I have escalated this issue for you. If there are any issues with your order you will be contacted and advised if you should place the order again. If this is the case please keep your original order number and we will apply the discounts to the new order.

Seems like it'll work out, I guess.

DJ_Lae

I love my $40 Wind plan too. I want to find a decent deal on one of those bluetooth based home cordless phones so I can just use my cellphone and ditch the landline entirely. Only reason I was holding onto that was for long distance, but I get a great signal at my home so it would be a good replacement.

One of the few things I'm really happy about with my move here.

Anybody know how long Future Shop online preorders usually take to arrive without paying for the faster shipping?

Mine came the day after the shipping announcement (or the day of if it was sent late, which happens often) when I was in Victoria. In Edmonton now it seems to take an extra day.

So my tsiloned Dance Central 3 should be arriving today.

Sora_N

This is the precedent that worried me.

I popped them an email, hopefully something gets done. I really don't want to lose that $24.99 pre-order, dammit.

Update: Best Buy customer service responded

Thank you for contacting Best Buy Canada, in regard to the Paper Mario Sticker star game. I apologize for any frustration with your purchase.

I have escalated this issue for you. If there are any issues with your order you will be contacted and advised if you should place the order again. If this is the case please keep your original order number and we will apply the discounts to the new order.

Seems like it'll work out, I guess.

I emailed them too, but I was gonna cancel anyways. I hope they give me a coupon if they screw up. I forgot I got such a good price on it, I may grab it if they don't screw up.

EDIT:

Got a response from them.

Hello Victor,

Thank you for contacting Best Buy Customer Service.

The reason you are seeing a date that says 2013 for release is that this was the original date that was provided to us when the game was announced. The game will still be released when it is expected to, and our website should be updated shortly to the correct release date.

Should you have any other questions or concerns, please let us know.

Sincerely,
The Best Buy Team

35 per month no tab or contract
unlimited calling
unlimited global texting
unlimited data
voice mail
caller id etc...
I can use tethering

<3 Wind

Oh and the European roaming rates in the summer were insanely good :)

It's good to live in the middle of a Wind coverage area :p

Edit

Rogers.com says the 6GB datashare add-on is 60 bucks, thats where you are getting pwned, you should have jumped on it when it was on sale for 35 dollars a while back

And it looks like the 6GB is 60 dollars with or without data share :p

I hope there's a T2 at FS/BB.

There is.

Future Shop
4GB Kinect bundle with LA Noire $299.99
Madden 13 Vita bundle with $50 GC $249.99
PS3 NHL 13 bundle with LA Noire $299.99
MoH Warfighter with steelbook $59.99
Forza 4 with steelbook $59.99, LE $79.99
Just Dance Disney $39.99
Trade 2 for Forza 4/Skylanders Owners Pack, Trade 1 for Just Dance Disney
Get a $20 online credit for Halo 4 with purchase of MoH, Forza (maybe JD/Skylanders)

Sora_N

There is.

Future Shop
4GB Kinect bundle with LA Noire $299.99
Madden 13 Vita bundle with $50 GC $249.99
PS3 NHL 13 bundle with LA Noire $299.99
MoH Warfighter with steelbook $59.99
Forza 4 with steelbook $59.99, LE $79.99
Just Dance Disney $39.99
Trade 2 for Forza 4/Skylanders Owners Pack, Trade 1 for Just Dance Disney
Get a $20 online credit for Halo 4 with purchase of MoH, Forza (maybe JD/Skylanders)

Ugh too bad it's with owners pack only. I'm aiming for the starter. I wonder if I can just add $ but I'll check out the trade list first.

Those WIND deals look great, but unfortunately I spend the majority of my year outside of Vancouver :(

Maybe I can talk to Rogers retentions and get a similarly structured deal. Maybe if I ask real nice!

I've been a big Wind proponent on here but just be wary in case something ever goes wrong. The customer service is horrendous, the hoops I had to go through when I was trying to unlock my BB and switch over to the S III was a nightmare. Just glad everything got sorted out and I shouldn't need to deal with them for 3 years.

zroid

Banned
I originally had a $30 pre-order from E3, but last month there was that $10 RZ coupon which stacked with the usual $5 off. So I placed a new order. :p

A tsilon deal would be nice too!

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I originally had a $30 pre-order from E3, but last month there was that $10 RZ coupon which stacked with the usual $5 off. So I placed a new order. :p

A tsilon deal would be nice too!
Oh, I used that $10 RZ coupon on Ratchet & Clank Collection since I didn't have any other deal for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom