• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lothars

I don't mean to drag an old issue out again, but since I always see so many posts in so many threads complaining about online purchases being delayed, or misdelivered, or otherwise gone-wrong, I have to ask again: is it really worth it? I don't know about you guys, but it's pretty easy to put up with whatever minor gripes we all have regarding brick and mortar stores just to ensure you're getting exactly what you want, and right away.

Even if the price is $5-10 more than the best online deal, for me, that $5-10 is worth it to ensure I'm getting shit day one.
That's the thing the majority of online deals I've gotten are more than $5-10, it's more like 20-40 off the game.

I am willing to put up with the late deliveries but it also doesn't mean I can't complain about it either.

cjkeats

I don't mean to drag an old issue out again, but since I always see so many posts in so many threads complaining about online purchases being delayed, or misdelivered, or otherwise gone-wrong, I have to ask again: is it really worth it? I don't know about you guys, but it's pretty easy to put up with whatever minor gripes we all have regarding brick and mortar stores just to ensure you're getting exactly what you want, and right away.

Even if the price is $5-10 more than the best online deal, for me, that $5-10 is worth it to ensure I'm getting shit day one.

Everything takes 2-3 weeks, sometimes a month or more to ship to me, not to mention Canada Post being terrible in my area.
Stuff like that is why I always go retail first. You never save much anyways unless the shipping is free or it's some kind of blow out deal.

DJ_Lae

Absolutely worth it. For $5 I might not bother but so many of these deals have been $20 or more off (or sweet merciful christ Halo 4 for $10) and I'll gladly wait an extra day for them.

Back in Victoria it was nicer as I would almost always get the game on release day, but even here in Alberta I'll accept an extra day's wait especially as I would never get to the game the day I buy a store copy anyway. Just don't have the time I used to I guess.

Astra

Shipping is usually fairly painless for me if I am ordering from within Canada. That said, I still prefer to buy in store unless I can get some great deal online, or if it's less of a hassle to order online.

I bought the Wii U online, since it'd be less of a hassle for me to get one on release day. Also ordered Persona 4 Solid Gold online, since it was my only option. I bought Zero Escape from amazon.com for the preorder bonus. I should have known better, though. Took 13 working days to arrive here.

So definitely prefer in store, especially since I live maybe 5 minutes away from most major retailers.

iphys

Wii U Basic is in the Shoppers flyer for next week (doesn't even mention Sunday, so I wonder if they might put it out on Saturday for the 20x, lol). Fingers crossed that they sell the Deluxe as well (haven't seen the whole flyer yet, so it might be in there on another page).

BTW, Saturday specials in combo with the 20x this time -- might be the last big chance to get points before mega redemption.

DJ_Lae

I bought Zero Escape from amazon.com for the preorder bonus. I should have known better, though. Took 13 working days to arrive here.

Amazon is great for finding weird or older stuff but yeah, preordering anything from them is a crapshoot and even in best case scenario I'm waiting at least a week to get what I ordered.

Sure I could use priority shipping but that completely defeats the point of ordering online.

frequency

I order online because I do not have an easy way to get around town.
I'm usually not in a rush to get games so I do not mind waiting. I do not need games on release day.

But I do get a little bit annoyed when another online retailer ships something while waiting for my chosen retailer to do it (which is why I complained about Amazon.ca and then went to EBGames.ca to order).

Sometimes my game comes damaged. Sometimes it doesn't come at all. But worst case, I'll have to go to the shop for an exchange or to the post office to pick up my game. This is 1 trip. Best case, it comes to my house no problem and it is 0 trips. Going to a local physical store is best case 1 trip.

Tagg9

The only thing that annoys me about ording online is Nintendo's stupid Sunday releases.

Haha, this. Otherwise I've always received games on the day of release (Future Shop, Best Buy, EB Games).

I actually prefer ordering online - I've never had any issues whatsoever and it's much easier to get good deals on the web.

iphys

The only thing that annoys me about ording online is Nintendo's stupid Sunday releases.

I wonder if they changed to always doing Sundays, specifically in anticipation of trying to generate more eShop sales from online shoppers. They really shouldn't have released a game on Remembrance Day though: I feel like writing them a complaint for that one.

krae_man

I wonder if they changed to always doing Sundays, specifically in anticipation of trying to generate more eShop sales from online shoppers. They really shouldn't have released a game on Remembrance Day though: I feel like writing them a complaint for that one.

Didn't a COD release on Nov 11th once(or was it a Gears)?

Anyway yeah, I agree.

It's just as bad buying retail when nothing that takes pre-orders opens until noon on Sundays.
Wal-mart is the only exception.

Tell me about it. I'll probably have to wait until noon to pick up my Wii U.

cjkeats

Tell me about it. I'll probably have to wait until noon to pick up my Wii U.

It doesn't help that there are barely any midnight openings. Sunday release is perfect for it.

My plan for Wii U if I decide to still get it, is that I'll go early to wal-mart, see if they have stock sitting out on the shelves like they did for the 3DS XL and, grab it there, and cancel my preorder later on. If not, I'll grab some breakfast, then head across the parking lot to wait for EB to open.

The Toys R Us at Duff Mall doesn't open until 11. I might crash a Shopper's Drug Mart earlier to see if I can just grab a Deluxe there but I doubt I'll get lucky.

Astra

Amazon is great for finding weird or older stuff but yeah, preordering anything from them is a crapshoot and even in best case scenario I'm waiting at least a week to get what I ordered.

Sure I could use priority shipping but that completely defeats the point of ordering online.

Yeah, Amazon.com is great for finding deals, as long as you don't mind waiting at minimum a week for your order. Which I usually don't, but I always have bad luck with games from them.

Still, the money you can save is worth it. Often find games there for $19.99 when everywhere else (in Canada, anyway) still has them at $49.99 or more.
My mom bought some toys for her grandson on Amazon, and saved about $30, even with the shipping. Of course said toys aren't expected to arrive until November 28th.

Are shoppers doing pre-orders and do all stores carry the wii-u on launch day?

No idea. I'm just going to take a stab at picking it up early at Shoppers. Otherwise I have $50 down at Toys R Us for a Deluxe and I have my name down at Game Centre. I assume one of those will come through.

I think some of the smaller stores will have Wii U for preorders only while the big box stores will have 5-10 for walk-ins.

iphys

Are shoppers doing pre-orders and do all stores carry the wii-u on launch day?

I heard one person claim they had pre-ordered there, but I don't know if they officially do that or that was just an employee doing a favour to hold one for someone. I'll be there for the 20x on Saturday anyway, so I might try asking if the employees know anything in advance. If they let me pay for it on Saturday, I'd happily do the $170 redemption to get the 20x points on the excess cost; otherwise, I'll probably try holding out for mega redemption or the next 20x, since there aren't any games I actually want yet.

I get the feeling that Amazon.ca oversells and they end up having to get more. When I bought Skyward Sword during that brief sale it shipped in 2-3 weeks (and from Ontario, so it took an extra 5 days or so). Can't remember the last thing I pre-ordered from them though.

iphys

Oh, and not all Shoppers have a big electronics section, but even the smallest Shoppers I've seen usually have some video game systems behind the counter or somewhere. Since they've advertised it in their flyer, it's pretty likely the Wii U will be sold at most locations, but they might not be on-the-ball about putting them out on day 1, or they might be sold out very quickly if they do have them on display. Ask the staff, because they might be hiding in storage.

Edit: saw the rest of the SDM flyer, and the Deluxe is in there (yes!) with a notice it will be available Sunday (so much for fooling clueless Shoppers employees on Saturday, lol). Also, they have New SMB U, not surprisingly. 3DS XL is on sale for $180. 3DS is on sale for $150. New SMB 2 is on sale for $30 (if that's still a qualifier for T2 at FS/BB next week, that's a good deal for the 20x points on Saturday).

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I bought the only Vita at the Shoppers I go to and they haven't gotten another once since. lol

The newest console they're selling is the DSi it seems. :p

Tik-Tok

As posted in Wii U thread...
My Gamestop (Conestoga Mall Waterloo) just called me and first said they would be doing a midnight launch, then 5 minutes later called and said there is not enough interest in doing a midnight launch. :(

krae_man

My Gamestop (Conestoga Mall Waterloo) just called me and first said they would be doing a midnight launch, then 5 minutes later called and said there is not enough interest in doing a midnight launch. :(

I preordered at Fairview Mall and I haven't even got a call yet. I'm betting I'm going to have to wait until Noon.

The Laurelwood one is doing a midnight launch but not Fairview Mall?

iphys

Trolls! That's just evil.

Vamphuntr

YMMV, I guess. I preordered Growlanser PSP and they sent it to me one week before the release date. Only the .ca did this too. I was the only one in the thread with the game for a while.

Usually I get my game from them 2-3 after the street date though.

explodet

Ooh that reminds me, I do need to give Game Centre some WiiU business. Once I figure out what third game to get, I'll grab it from those guys.

Tik-Tok

While you wait, you can try that new interactive map thingy by the food court that was on Dragons Den.

Those assholes don't seem to understand that I'm busy rolling over to have morning sex at 9:30 in the morning on a sunday morning, and then going out for breakfast.

HOW DARE THEY.

sikkinixx

I keep checking Futureshop.ca to see if they have charged me for my Wii U yet. If I don't get one, after ordering mere minutes after it went live, I will lose it on them. I should have ordered one in store for pick up too to make sure.

Luigi87

Checking here, all midnight launches have been cancelled, and now only Early Openings are showing.

iphys

Technically, yes, assuming they have access to them and they aren't locked away in the back for the night or something. I've heard their registers don't actually switch over to the next day till shortly after midnight (like 12:30 or something), so I'm not sure if that would prevent you from making the purchase right at midnight.

Astra

I keep checking Futureshop.ca to see if they have charged me for my Wii U yet. If I don't get one, after ordering mere minutes after it went live, I will lose it on them. I should have ordered one in store for pick up too to make sure.

My card hasn't been charged for the Wii U yet, either. I also ordered the same day the preorders went up. They said it may be charged up to 10 days in advance. Hoping I still get one, and I don't end up waiting on back order.

snack

To all those that have Netflix and want to use the American version but don't want to fork out money for proxies, VPNS and stuff like that... look no further!

http://www.mediahint.com/

Firefox and Chrome extension that allows you to access the American Netflix. Just found this gem today.

Socreges

Banned
To all those that have Netflix and want to use the American version but don't want to fork out money for proxies, VPNS and stuff like that... look no further!

Firefox and Chrome extension that allows you to access the American Netflix. Just found this gem today.
Think I'll still pay for the Unblock-US thing since it allows me to watch US Netflix on my phone and 360, but this is perfect for my gf since she'll be using my account and would want the US library

BTW did Giard ever give you the CODBLOPS2 code?

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.

What exactly does it do? there's very little info on the website...

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
My card hasn't been charged for the Wii U yet, either. I also ordered the same day the preorders went up. They said it may be charged up to 10 days in advance. Hoping I still get one, and I don't end up waiting on back order.

I didn't get charged either - though I ordered from Best Buy.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Best Buy charged my card

Oh, maybe soon then. Did they give you an estimated receiving date? I'm wondering how long these things usually take ... never pre-ordered anything from Best Buy online =/.

Also I live in Mississauga -- apparently Best Buy warehouses are here? Maybe that'll be a good thing lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom