• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spike

I ordered Paper Mario from Amazon.ca and it still hasn't shipped yet. Expected ship date is saying the 14th with delivery either the 16th or 19th. Then on the product page it says usually ships in 8-9 days. WTF?!?!

I'll never preorder another game from Amazon again...

sikkinixx

Sometimes, when you authorize someone to charge, you can't just "cancel" credit card and relax. They will charge it, your credit card will reactivate and you'll have to pay for it.

Don't care if I have to pay. Just don't want hassle.

Though I've never heard of a card reactivating itself, anything else I had on that card just complained charges couldn't go through and asked me to update my info.

Socreges

Banned
So I've done the Netflix + Unblock-US combo. Holy shit. So much content, currently on my computer, phone, television, and 360. Totally unnecessary level of accessibility, but whatever it's awesome.

Q: I thought Netflix had a 'queue' option where you could select and group together movies/shows that you wanted to watch in the future?

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
So I've done the Netflix + Unblock-US combo. Holy shit. So much content, currently on my computer, phone, television, and 360. Totally unnecessary level of accessibility, but whatever it's awesome.

Q: I thought Netflix had a 'queue' option where you could select and group together movies/shows that you wanted to watch in the future?

mhmmm?

Yep. There is a queue feature. There's a "Watch later" button.

C-Jo

I've watched significantly more Netflix in the past 3 weeks than I have in its entire Canadian existence. Unblock-us is godly.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
So... you guys mean this: http://www.unblock-us.com/ ? 4.99 a month, and you can watch US Netflix content with a canadian netflix account? That's all it is? You just activate the VPN and it switches the content from CA to US, even though it's a CA account? Or does someone have a quick "how to netflix&unblock-us" at hand?

C-Jo

It's the same account. The content you have access to is determined by your location.

The Unblock-us site has tutorials for all of that stuff.

Aske

So... you guys mean this: http://www.unblock-us.com/ ? 4.99 a month, and you can watch US Netflix content with a canadian netflix account? That's all it is? You just activate the VPN and it switches the content from CA to US, even though it's a CA account? Or does someone have a quick "how to netflix&unblock-us" at hand?

You set it up by typing two numbers into two fields in your router or device network config, then navigating to the Unblock-Us website and hitting a button. That's it. Next time you log in to your Netflix account, you'll access the American library.

Best thing about Unblock-Us is that it's not really a VPN. It doesn't do anything to your network data unless you access a specific site like Netflix, Hulu or Pandora. And once you're connected to the site, you access the content itself directly. The Netflix video stream doesn't need to be constantly region-checked once you're in the library, so there's no loss of speed. If you want to encrypt all your data and mask your location you want a true VPN, but if you want a dead simple solution to circumvent region blocks on a handful of specific websites Unblock-Us couldn't be better.

what does "shipment created" mean on the purolator online tracking website? I have a shipment that was marked as that at 9:30 PM... it's a black ops 2 pre-order from EBgames by the way.

daevv

My $39.98 E3 Walmart.ca preorder of Black Ops 2 was only sent on the 11th and when I check the details it's shows I'm getting the french version!! Lovely :(

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
I went to EBGames to pick up Assassin's Creed III on Wii U, they don't have it.

Best Buy and Future Shop also don't have it.

:(.

I went to EBGames to pick up Assassin's Creed III on Wii U, they don't have it.

Best Buy and Future Shop also don't have it.

:(.

It's probably going to be hit or miss. I'm sure Ubi didn't necessarily feel the need to ship it so that it arrives today considering the system doesn't come out until Sunday.

Gadirok

I'm so excited for the major PS+ hitting vita next week. I totally never saw it coming. I was expecting Sony to start things off with free PSP games rather than going straight into it. I still expect them to replace Jet Set Radio, 3rd party games and the others with PSP games overtime (not that I'm complaining), but wow.

I thought it would start off slow like the PS3 with PSone games and a few things here and there. They just went straight and knocked it out.

In other news I was picking up black ops 2+ the PS3 Pulse Headset from Futureshop today. I was pleasantly surprised to see one guy buying a black ops vita with a bunch of vita accessories and games. Like he just started and built an entire library today. Futureshop must have loved him and his wads of cash.

Really good day, can't wait to try out my new headset on starhawk when I get home. I'll give blops 2 to my brother.

Decado

You set it up by typing two numbers into two fields in your router or device network config, then navigating to the Unblock-Us website and hitting a button. That's it. Next time you log in to your Netflix account, you'll access the American library.

Best thing about Unblock-Us is that it's not really a VPN. It doesn't do anything to your network data unless you access a specific site like Netflix, Hulu or Pandora. And once you're connected to the site, you access the content itself directly. The Netflix video stream doesn't need to be constantly region-checked once you're in the library, so there's no loss of speed. If you want to encrypt all your data and mask your location you want a true VPN, but if you want a dead simple solution to circumvent region blocks on a handful of specific websites Unblock-Us couldn't be better.

Is this legal or supported by Netflix? Otherwise I could see Netflix shutting it down sooner rather than latter or finding a way to block it.

AzerPhire

If you go Future Shop's website (And I assuming it works for Best Buy too) you can now see that stores have WiiU games in stock. They should be selling them as I don't believe the games released so far are street dated.

I also talked to my friend at EB Games and he said they received Fifa, Madden, Assassins Creed 3, Call of Duty, Rayman Rabbids and Scribblenauts today. He still has no idea on his launch numbers for systems but since I am #1 and #2 on his list I am not worried about myself.

Sora_N

If you go Future Shop's website (And I assuming it works for Best Buy too) you can now see that stores have WiiU games in stock. They should be selling them as I don't believe the games released so far are street dated.

I also talked to my friend at EB Games and he said they received Fifa, Madden, Assassins Creed 3, Call of Duty, Rayman Rabbids and Scribblenauts today. He still has no idea on his launch numbers for systems but since I am #1 and #2 on his list I am not worried about myself.

Couldn't you try to do instore pickup for them? lol

Vamphuntr

My $39.98 E3 Walmart.ca preorder of Black Ops 2 was only sent on the 11th and when I check the details it's shows I'm getting the french version!! Lovely :(

360 or PS3?

PS3 will be fully billingual even if the box is in french.

360 is an entirely different story because of the space available on the disk. At best you will get the text in the language of your dashboard and the VA in French. If the game doesn't have a lot of VA you might be lucky and get both tracks on the disk.

daevv

360 or PS3?

PS3 will be fully billingual even if the box is in french.

360 is an entirely different story because of the space available on the disk. At best you will get the text in the language of your dashboard and the VA in French. If the game doesn't have a lot of VA you might be lucky and get both tracks on the disk.

It's for PS3 so that's good.

It also looks like others show the french version is on the way to them when they ordered the English one. If you scroll down to the questions and answers: http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/call-of...-bonus-multiplayer-map-playstation-3/10140323

RS4-

Phew, good thing my neighbors are cool and everything, mailman delivered all three of my packages to them by accident.

Why not just use http://tunlr.net/ ?

It's free and works the same way as unblockus. I use it every once in a while and have had no problems.

Spike

Okay, this is now beyond stupid!

My order for Paper Mario Sticker Star from Amazon.ca now has an estimated delivery date of November 23-27.

:(

iphys

I never had any luck getting pre-orders from Amazon.ca -- always wound up cancelling them to go pick up the item at a local store because they never even shipped out my order on the release day and weren't estimating to do so for a few days.

Okay, this is now beyond stupid!

My order for Paper Mario Sticker Star from Amazon.ca now has an estimated delivery date of November 23-27.

:(

Sucks bro...

My order from the day Best Buy had that 40% glitch is coming in tomorrow! :)

Couldn't believe I got it for $14.99!

EB Website shows that they are shipping some of these games in 24 hours but a lot of the stores are apparently holding them.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know if this has been talked about and I don't know how reliable this is but one of my friend's sister works at Old Navy and was told that they'll be giving out copies of NSMBU to people on Boxing Day in Canada.

I haven't heard about it anywhere else, besides the Black Friday deal in the US - so I don't know how much weight this carries but I thought I'd share here.

I don't know if this has been talked about and I don't know how reliable this is but one of my friend's sister works at Old Navy and was told that they'll be giving out copies of NSMBU to people on Boxing Day in Canada.

I haven't heard about it anywhere else, besides the Black Friday deal in the US - so I don't know how much weight this carries but I thought I'd share here.

Obviously you have to buy some clothing (just the way you worded it XD).

Still, if it's $40 of clothing, that's way better than $60; buy some jeans, get a free Mario game! :D

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

CAG basically confirmed this. You should probably get there early to stand in line if you want the game.

cjkeats

I've never pre-ordered anything from Amazon.ca before, will they ship a Tuesday release by the weeks end?
FS shipped my Pokemon W2 pre-order on a Saturday.

frequency

Amazon.ca seems to have gotten worse lately. They used to ship release day or Wednesday. But the last few orders just sat in "Shipping Soon" for days. I've had to cancel the last 4 or 5 orders because I got it faster just ordering at EBGames.ca after. And considering they let me cancel with the "Request Cancellation" button after it's in "Shipping Soon", that would mean the order hasn't even made it to the warehouse yet and they were nowhere near packing it up to ship to me.

I've had games come from EBGames.ca when I placed the order on the release date before Amazon.ca even shipped my pre-order.

It sucks because I have the Amazon.ca Rewards Visa and get double points with Amazon.ca. But their service is getting so slow. It stands out more when comparing to my FutureShop and BestBuy orders (from E3 and tsilon) that ship before release date so they get to me on the Tuesday or Wednesday.

ElNino

I think they did this with Lego Rock Band a couple of years ago and they didn't have very many games if I recall correctly. You needed to lineup early and be one of the very first in the store on Boxing Day morning to get the game... so basically not worth it IMO.

Magnus

I don't mean to drag an old issue out again, but since I always see so many posts in so many threads complaining about online purchases being delayed, or misdelivered, or otherwise gone-wrong, I have to ask again: is it really worth it? I don't know about you guys, but it's pretty easy to put up with whatever minor gripes we all have regarding brick and mortar stores just to ensure you're getting exactly what you want, and right away.

Even if the price is $5-10 more than the best online deal, for me, that $5-10 is worth it to ensure I'm getting shit day one.

zroid

Banned
I don't mean to drag an old issue out again, but since I always see so many posts in so many threads complaining about online purchases being delayed, or misdelivered, or otherwise gone-wrong, I have to ask again: is it really worth it? I don't know about you guys, but it's pretty easy to put up with whatever minor gripes we all have regarding brick and mortar stores just to ensure you're getting exactly what you want, and right away.

Even if the price is $5-10 more than the best online deal, for me, that $5-10 is worth it to ensure I'm getting shit day one.

If I'm desperate I just buy the game in-store on day 1 and return the copy I get shipped to me (whenever that may be) using the store receipt. I did this for Paper Mario when I found out Monday was a postal holiday. Turns out it didn't get delivered until THIS morning. -_-

Errr...wow. I don't see the deal online though. In store only?

bb-ops2.jpg

FUTS_f5a8878d-193c-4941-8c74-e5c508555434_150_110912_POP_p1_1A.jpg

Oneself

Heads up if anyone wants Sonic All-Stars Racing Transformed (bonus edition), it's already on sale at a couple of places in Montréal. Looks like most of them didn't read the release date memo...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom