• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm surprised, because I thought they were barely breaking even on them now, but I hear they did stop including the charging cradle, which sounds like the sort of thing you would cut out when you plan to cut prices. If they also drop the price of the XL that might explain the rumour of XL's coming pre-loaded with MK7 for $200.

Damn it sold out as I was asking for the address and postal code of the place where I will be staying in december. Well it will be the same price at least on boxing day.

btkadams

i sent an email to futureshop asking about the preorder bonuses for playstation all-stars. i'm not saying they ever mentioned having them, but it seemed weird that they wouldn't...i never received anything, so i was just hoping it was a mistake they will correct. did anyone else get any? i asked earlier in the thread but i don't think anyone responded.

Mr. Fix

Ocarina of Time and Kid Icarus for the 3DS seem to be at $30 until the 29th. Are there any places that sell them for new for $20 during Cyber Monday? I figured that I might as well stock up now for the break.

zroid

Banned
:lol

Supposedly it's in stock at a lot of stores right now though. Many GTA stores appear to have it. Can do an ISPU with the discount code, I think.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Not anymore.

Side note: Rogers just came to my door pushing their new cable speeds. I told them what I was getting with Teksavvy and they didn't even attempt to counter :lol

mhm that reminds me - What's the fastest speed I can get in Vancouver, does anyone know? My friend told me about his new 100MB/s line in Europe (+phone+tv for 75.-/month) so I wanted to look up what I can get here, but the max I fiind is 25MB lines, which is rather disappointing. I'm running on a lousy 3 atm -.-

depending on location, shaw does 250mbps down 15 up.
but generally most of vancouver is at 100 or 50 mbps on shaw network. Unless you live in an apartment building with outdated wiring

PM me your location and ill get my buddy to give you a look up smiley and see what he can do for you.

Firestorm

mhm that reminds me - What's the fastest speed I can get in Vancouver, does anyone know? My friend told me about his new 100MB/s line in Europe (+phone+tv for 75.-/month) so I wanted to look up what I can get here, but the max I fiind is 25MB lines, which is rather disappointing. I'm running on a lousy 3 atm -.-
You're on 3?! Are you with Telus? Call them and get something better. They've upgraded...

Smiley90

You're on 3?! Are you with Telus? Call them and get something better. They've upgraded...

Nope, Shaw. I'm only renting a room in the apartment though, I'm not the one in control of the internet. I keep bugging my roommate about it though.

2334089668.png

it hurts.

What do you mean they upgraded? What should I do/did they do?

Astra

The fastest we have here in PEI is 200Mbps. Of course the price is insane at $249.95/month. That is just the internet. Plus there is a 250GB cap with this speed, so it's an all around shitty deal.

1641913505.png

That's a 25Mbps connection. Novus rules, the only problem is that their coverage is not that great...

EDIT: Err...and now to actually answer your question: I don't know which is the maximum, but with Novus you can get up to 300Mbps, if you are willing to pay 103CAD/month only for internet...

Smiley90

1641913505.png

That's a 25Mbps connection. Novus rules, the only problem is that their coverage is not that great...

Yeah I see several 25mb offers from pretty much every provider, but nothing better... I guess the cable here just sucks balls. C'MON GOOGLE COME HERE.

krae_man

Can you get Teksavvy? You can get 25mbps for $45/month with no cap.

Edit: You're on Shaw? they ave 250mbps plans if you want to pay for it.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Not anymore.

Side note: Rogers just came to my door pushing their new cable speeds. I told them what I was getting with Teksavvy and they didn't even attempt to counter :lol
Wonder when they'll start smartening up and be more competitive...

I'm super jealous of those people OUTSIDE the biggest city in Canada that have unlimited fiber optic...wtf, London! Share the love!

Jayhawk

For those other Canadians wondering about the PSN codes that came with the Assassin's Creed III Liberation PS Vita bundle, I just tried mine out and they all worked. I then proceeded to download more than a dozen free games off PS Plus.

TheExodu5

Banned
Rogers does have better upload rates now. If I lived alone and didn't need to worry about caps so much, I'd be with Rogers for the upload speeds. Teksavvy @ 1mbps upload feels really lacking. I can barely stream video to my phone over the net without taking up all the upload.

My experience so far with Teksavvy has also been a lot worse than with Rogers. Rogers had flawless service for the 6 years I was with them. I can recall a single day where there was a bit of downtime (a few hours). Teksavvy speeds have gone to shit several times this past month, as the POI I'm on is overloaded. I need to reset the modem to fix it. Teksavvy support is also completely useless in diagnosing the issue, and they're seemingly ignoring many users on my POI without acknowledging the issue.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Rogers does have better upload rates now. If I lived alone and didn't need to worry about caps so much, I'd be with Rogers for the upload speeds. Teksavvy @ 1mbps upload feels really lacking. I can barely stream video to my phone over the net without taking up all the upload.

My experience so far with Teksavvy has also been a lot worse than with Rogers. Rogers had flawless service for the 6 years I was with them. I can recall a single day where there was a bit of downtime (a few hours). Teksavvy speeds have gone to shit several times this past month, as the POI I'm on is overloaded. I need to reset the modem to fix it. Teksavvy support is also completely useless in diagnosing the issue, and they're seemingly ignoring many users on my POI without acknowledging the issue.
Interesting. I had thought they'd ironed all that shit out since i had left them. Maybe not?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

My experience with Teksavvy has been mostly flawless on their cable. Even on the west end where Scarlet POI was apparently being laggy as hell, we've always had good speeds and no down time.

But I agree their customer service is terrible at actually helping you. Although they're easy to contact through Twitter and DSLreports, they spent a week trying to help me figure out my modem had died. In the end, I just bought another modem on the off chance it was the problem and bam, it was.

Interesting to read this stuff...I was thinking about switching from Rogers to Teksavvy a few days ago, since I have a lot of trouble staying under the bandwidth caps (just 120GB/month). Unfortunately, Teksavvy doesn't offer unlimited in my area of Ottawa, just the 250GB/month package, and there's no difference in advertised speeds. If their customer support is lousy and their service is getting noticeably worse, I guess I'll just stick with what I have.

Cactus

Banned
Any deals on Persona 4? I've been trying to find it for under retail value, but no luck so far. I want to buy it before my vita gets here, though, so I guess I might have to buy this one at full price...

Also, I have a download code for PS All-Stars. I can sell it for $20. PM if interested.

Any deals on Persona 4? I've been trying to find it for under retail value, but no luck so far. I want to buy it before my vita gets here, though, so I guess I might have to buy this one at full price...

Also, I have a download code for PS All-Stars. I can sell it for $20. PM if interested.
It's a recently launched Atlus developed game, I doubt you'll ever find a deal for it.

TheExodu5

Banned
Interesting to read this stuff...I was thinking about switching from Rogers to Teksavvy a few days ago, since I have a lot of trouble staying under the bandwidth caps (just 120GB/month). Unfortunately, Teksavvy doesn't offer unlimited in my area of Ottawa, just the 250GB/month package, and there's no difference in advertised speeds. If their customer support is lousy and their service is getting noticeably worse, I guess I'll just stick with what I have.

They definitely do unlimited in Ottawa.

I wouldn't go with unlimited with Teksavvy though...we've been well over our cap for the past two months and haven't gotten charged overage. I don't think they can properly monitor data traffic yet.

What I would do in your case, especially if you're a long term Rogers customer, is call them and tell them you want to switch to Teksavvy. They should offer you a better deal in the meanwhile. On a good day, you should be able to get the 150GB package for cheaper than the price of the 120GB package. My dad pays $40/mo for his 150GB package on a deal through retentions.

No_Style

My switchover to TekSavvy was bumpy but after everything was set up, I've only had one outage. When I signed up they didn't post their overage charges but it looks like they did now.

I don't care about faster speeds when bandwidth caps are involved -- I just want more bandwidth. Teksavvy's 300GB is plenty for me and their 28 Mbps down & 1 Mbps down rate is plenty fast for me. I even get faster than that sometimes on the download side of things.

Oh damn it! I joined the ISP talk.

frequency

Does any ISP in Canada not have bandwidth caps? I would rather have no cap than faster speed. I think the only one I know of is MTS in Manitoba.

I thought the OpenMedia people declared victory about the bandwidth cap thing?

X-Factor

There are a few ISPs that offer unlimited bandwidth caps such as ancarac and tekksavy.

Does any ISP in Canada not have bandwidth caps? I would rather have no cap than faster speed. I think the only one I know of is MTS in Manitoba.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

That was only so that resellers didn't have to impose caps.

I got it for $15 bucks but that was using Best Buy pricing error shenanigans before launch.

They definitely do unlimited in Ottawa.

I wouldn't go with unlimited with Teksavvy though...we've been well over our cap for the past two months and haven't gotten charged overage. I don't think they can properly monitor data traffic yet.

What I would do in your case, especially if you're a long term Rogers customer, is call them and tell them you want to switch to Teksavvy. They should offer you a better deal in the meanwhile. On a good day, you should be able to get the 150GB package for cheaper than the price of the 120GB package. My dad pays $40/mo for his 150GB package on a deal through retentions.

Well, I just checked again, and while I don't doubt that Teksavvy offers unlimited in Ottawa, for some reason it doesn't come up as an option for my area of the city (West End/Bayshore area) -- my only options are Cable 6, Cable 18 and Cable 24.

That said, I'll try to Rogers retention thing...I've been with them for 10+ years now, so hopefully they offer me something good.

Edit: I'm an idiot. Teksavvy does offer unlimited, for the same price as I'm getting 120GB/month from Rogers now. Still, I think I'll try sticking with Rogers first, since 1) I don't want to buy a modem, 2) I've had my Rogers e-mail addresses for well over a decade, and switching would be a pain, and 3) if Teksavvy's customer service isn't great, that's not a huge enticement.

isny

napkin dispenser
Well, I just checked again, and while I don't doubt that Teksavvy offers unlimited in Ottawa, for some reason it doesn't come up as an option for my area of the city (West End/Bayshore area) -- my only options are Cable 6, Cable 18 and Cable 24.

That said, I'll try to Rogers retention thing...I've been with them for 10+ years now, so hopefully they offer me something good.

Edit: I'm an idiot. Teksavvy does offer unlimited, for the same price as I'm getting 120GB/month from Rogers now. Still, I think I'll try sticking with Rogers first, since 1) I don't want to buy a modem, 2) I've had my Rogers e-mail addresses for well over a decade, and switching would be a pain, and 3) if Teksavvy's customer service isn't great, that's not a huge enticement.

I live in the west end and have been using fibe for a couple months now. I would never go back to Rogers after these speeds...

Madouu

I have been with Acanac for 4 years now and they have been fantastic. No caps, 30 days money back guarantee, good service and they even used to provided their clients with a free SSH tunnel during the throttling days. Probably the cheapest around if you are willing to pay for 1 year upfront. I only recommend them though to tech savvy people who are in downtown areas. People that are not are probably better served by teksavvy. And of course Bell and Rogers ...

If you ever sign up with them you'll just have to remember to send them an email before the end of your first term if you ever want to cancel the service, else it renews automatically. That's where most of the horror stories on the internet seem to come from.

They are also launching a new IPTV service in the next months, you might be interested. I know I am looking forward to that as the only reason I've been keeping OTA is because I refused to give any money to companies such as Bell and Videotron.

At the end, I understand you going for whatever deal is better for your purse, but on the long run, helping companies such as Teksavvy and Acanac grow is probably what is better for competition and internet in Canada. Especially now that the deals they are able to offer are pretty good too in terms of speeds.

I totally understand not wanting to lose your e-mail address though, I know a few people that are in the same situation.

Anyone in Montreal have opinions on the TekSavvy internet service? I was checking out their website, and I didn't even know it was offered in my area.

Right now I'm with videotron paying around $80/month for 30mbps and 120GB.
TekSavvy has significantly better deals; I'd probably go with their 15mbps and 300GB for $50/month.

Madouu

Anyone in Montreal have opinions on the TekSavvy internet service? I was checking out their website, and I didn't even know it was offered in my area.

TekSavvy has significantly better deals; I'd probably go with their 15mbps and 300GB for $50/month.

Like I said I've only been with Acanac (be sure to check out their deals too and their forums for opinions on their cable service), so this is no personal experience, but I've advised a few of my friends to go either with teksavvy or Acanac, and most have chosen the former because they have french customer service. None have had any major issue that I know of, and a lot have thanked me for telling them about them and said the service was good.

Willectro

Banned

I thought this was just me. I pay for Cable 28, and a couple weekends ago the speed dipped to 2Mbps for a couple hours. I don't even care if there is an issue, but it would be nice if the Customer Service would acknowledge it and not assume it is my router/computer.

Edit: I should mention that Teksavvy has been pretty decent overall for the price and flexibility. It's one of those instances where they are fine 99.9% of the time, but the the issues always seem to pop up at the worst times. Oddly the above issue magically resolved itself.

DJ_Lae

Oh no, it's the regular post-sale cycle of talking about ISPs. :p

Still happy enough with Telus, though I have to call them up this week and see if they can match or at least come close to the offer Shaw has sent me.

I also didn't realize until I had seen an identical pleading Shaw letter/ad from my aunt that they seem to have different offers between BC/Alberta. My offer was forwarded from my old Victoria address and was $20 a month cheaper for the same plan than hers. Neither of us are Shaw customers, either.

Don't really want to go Shaw again as their customer service was always annoying, I had a lot of problems with their phone service, and their new PVR sounds like it has a pitiful amount of recording space.

Dunlop

I was with them for DSL and had no complaints until they dropped the ball when the cable tiers became cheaper in Quebec and left us hanging for a bit, they are Ontario first and everyone else after. I think they are addressing this by adding a call center in Hull

Marc (CEO) wrote yesterday that there might be a stop sale in Quebec temporarily as they seem to be having some issues (not 100% I would go do dslreports and check out their forum

I switched over to Electronic Box in feb and have not had a single issue, they are in Longueuil near the metro so you could even go pick up the modem from their office to save shipping costs

20/2 250GB for $45

http://www.electronicbox.net/en/montreal/residential/internet/cable.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom