• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

frequency

I hate Shaw. They're always calling during dinner time or early Saturday morning or knocking on our door during dinner time or early Saturday morning to sell us on their service.

Just out of principle we will never ever use Shaw. Ever.
It can be unlimited bandwidth at 19273812789312 Mbps for $0.02 a month and we'll still never use them.

Anyway... Canada deals.

Bioshock Infinite pre-order is $10 off at Amazon.ca right now.
PS3

Deadly

Like I said I've only been with Acanac (be sure to check out their deals too and their forums for opinions on their cable service), so this is no personal experience, but I've advised a few of my friends to go either with teksavvy or Acanac, and most have chosen the former because they have french customer service. None have had any major issue that I know of, and a lot have thanked me for telling them about them and said the service was good.
Acanac's price is ok but only for the first year. Afterwards, if you're only using DSL you should look into other providers like Radio-Actif and others

You can get the Microsoft Speed Wheel off of Amazon.com for $19.99 right now. It's about $9 shipping but it seems to ship to Canada. http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Wireless-Speed-Wheel/dp/B0050SY0L2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1354034960&sr=8-1&keywords=speed+wheel

Not sure if want.

Not sure if this will make a difference in anyone's interest but I really love mine and use it much more often that any stationary wheel I’ve ever owned. It works exceptionally well for Forza games and is nothing short of AMAZING with Forza Horizon – it makes it feel so damn immersive!

Not sure if this will make a difference in anyone's interest but I really love mine and use it much more often that any stationary wheel I’ve ever owned. It works exceptionally well for Forza games and is nothing short of AMAZING with Forza Horizon – it makes it feel so damn immersive!

After reading this I decided to buy it and they raised the price up to $33.95. Bah!

Edit: Now they have dropped the price to $29.98. Amazony Plz!!

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Whoa,

Shaw: 25MB, 250gb, 60 CAD
Teksavvy: 25MB, unlimited, 55 CAD.

Yeah, I really need to talk to my roommate to get away from shaw. Or call Shaw and tell them we wanna switch to Teksavvy and see what they can cough up.

Gadirok

Bah I wish I got in on the $15 Persona Golden.

Me too. It seemed like too much hassle for me at the time since I was caught up with getting the pulse headset and black ops 2.

I never played black ops 2, and now that I'm finished All-stars I dont really have the room for the downloadable vita games and wouldn't mind playing P4. Been awhle since I played a rpg.

cjkeats

I'm in Goose Bay, Labrador there now, so I went deal hunting, and well...
L5qeO.jpg

Sheesh, this must be the Australian version

But then, best deal on Dark Souls I've seen yet.

Firestorm

Whoa,

Shaw: 25MB, 250gb, 60 CAD
Teksavvy: 25MB, unlimited, 55 CAD.

Yeah, I really need to talk to my roommate to get away from shaw. Or call Shaw and tell them we wanna switch to Teksavvy and see what they can cough up.
If you don't care about upload speed as much, you might be able to switch to Telus and get 25Mbs / unlimited / $20 a month for 12 months with TV included.

Smiley90

If you don't care about upload speed as much, you might be able to switch to Telus and get 25Mbs / unlimited / $20 a month for 12 months with TV included.

What is this? All I see is the 25mb/500gb/57CAD deal on their website

iphys

Lol, Wii Mini launching on sale for $90 at SDM on Dec 7th if anyone wants an official red Wiimote and nunchuk (and a near-useless Wii with no Internet capabilities).

Firestorm

What is this? All I see is the 25mb/500gb/57CAD deal on their website
Unfortunately it looks like the current promo for new customers is $15 / $15 / $15 so $45 for 3 services for 6 months.
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/telus-15-15-15-promo-925005/27/

It says 500GB limit but Telus nor Shaw actually enforce their caps. For Shaw you should call customer service and just tell them Telus is offering this and if they can do anything for your years of service because you're considering switching.

Smiley90

Unfortunately it looks like the current promo for new customers is $15 / $15 / $15 so $45 for 3 services for 6 months.

It says 500GB limit but Telus nor Shaw actually enforce their caps. For Shaw you should call customer service and just tell them Telus is offering this and if they can do anything for your years of service because you're considering switching.

Yeah I think what I'll do is call Shaw and tell them Teksavvy is offering 25mps for 48 and they're offering it for 60, so I wanna switch, then see if they can cut me a deal. And also tell them telus has a promo too.

Mikey Jr.

Weirdo.

Looks like this kind of machine is for your type, then...

I already have one. Just absolutely zero interest. None of my friends have a wii. Even if they did, what games are there really to play online? Maybe if NSMB was online, that would convert some people.

Admittedly the majority of people use it for local multiplayer only.

I bought it purely for the Nintendo games. I wanted it for that, I received that. Galaxy 1 and 2 are some of the best damn games this gen.

Not even to buy a game off of the shop?

There's games on there?

Seriously though, maybe I'm just out of the loop, but I have not once heard of good games on the Wiiware shop or whatever. Its always PSN/Xbla/Steam. Shit, nevermind good games, just games.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Not gonna lie, I kind of want the Wii Mini.

I just haven't quite figured out why.

I sort of enjoy the look, but we already have two Wii systems (not including the Wii inside the Wii U). And without online the primary purpose for during on my Wii still (MonHan) is dead.

People underestimate how much some used the Wii online. VC and WiiWare being obvious, but Mario Kart Wii had decent online play.. Monster Hunter my wife and I invested over 1,600 combined hours on.. and of course, we played Animal Crossing for years every day visiting friend's towns.

iphys

Not gonna lie, I kind of want the Wii Mini.

I just haven't quite figured out why.

I suppose it might become a collectors item one day, since I can't see them selling very many of them, especially if they're a failure and never go beyond Canada.

zroid

Banned
Well aside from a substantive array of Virtual Console games, Nintendo Life has a pretty reliable list of the top WiiWare games. Admittedly most of the great once-exclusive stuff has been ported to other platforms by now so it's not a huge loss these days. Fluidity is still great though.

I sort of enjoy the look, but we already have two Wii systems (not including the Wii inside the Wii U). And without online the primary purpose for during on my Wii still (MonHan) is dead.

I suppose it might become a collectors item one day, since I can't see them selling very many of them, especially if they're a failure and never go beyond Canada.

I think it's the weird 90s retro look, especially the Virtual Boy colours that do it for me, ha. Not going to spend 100 bucks on it though.

Neki

I hate Shaw. They're always calling during dinner time or early Saturday morning or knocking on our door during dinner time or early Saturday morning to sell us on their service.

Just out of principle we will never ever use Shaw. Ever.
It can be unlimited bandwidth at 19273812789312 Mbps for $0.02 a month and we'll still never use them.

Anyway... Canada deals.

Bioshock Infinite pre-order is $10 off at Amazon.ca right now.
PS3

I'd rather Shaw do that then Telus randomly disconnect my internet every 5 minutes for no apparent reason.

SickBoy

From what I've heard, it sounds like Shaw has started to learn a hard lesson on this front. I switched because I called Shaw to negotiate based on what Telus was offering (and also the specter of a hard cap on usage). I was basically told We think our product is really good and if you go to Telus you'll probably regret it.

So I switched. I've been perfectly happy with Telus. I find the Internet connection to be a little more solid and the TV service has been good to, save for a couple of minor PVR issues. (We've had maybe 3-4 recordings in a year-plus glitch out on us)

Cheerilee

I thought the OpenMedia people declared victory about the bandwidth cap thing?

IIRC, that was about Bell and the other big guys wanting to redefine the current "majority" of internet users (people who us it to check Facebook and email) as the "normal" users, and trying to redefine Nexflix users as "abusers" who were destroying the Canadian Internet, and saying that the abusers should be saddled with crippling usage-based fees (on top of the "normal" cost for Internet), and that would deter them from such activity.

But it wouldn't stop them from watching Bell-owned IPTV. That goes through different pipes. Totally different thing. Netflix should cost per-megabyte, ISP-owned content should be free.

Bell wanted to impose the same UBB structure onto alternatives like Teksavvy, so that when they launched their world-domination plans, Canadians would have no workable alternatives to turn to.

Bell's plan to slap UBB onto their own customers fizzled because "they heard the voice of the people", but mostly they were unable to burn down the possible Teksavvy escape route, and then the CRTC blocked their takeover of Astral Media. BTW, a week ago Bell re-submitted their application to buy Astral Media.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone know any place around the GTA that buys DVDs? I'm looking to sell some of mine and to use the money towards other games.

I have a lot of DVDs that I don't require anymore.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Does anyone know any place around the GTA that buys DVDs? I'm looking to sell some of mine and to use the money towards other games.

Game Centre will buy DVDs. But I'm not sure you should expect much in return no matter where you take them. Resell value on most is just not very high.

isny

napkin dispenser
Game Centre will buy DVDs. But I'm not sure you should expect much in return no matter where you take them. Resell value on most is just not very high.

Here in Ottawa CD Warehouse buys em for a buck or two a piece. I cleared out a good chunk of crap last year and got a couple hundred dollars =D

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member

Anything will do - I'm not really looking for a large return I guess. I just want to clear stuff out.

Quadratic

BMV. There's a mention about them in the OP. It's a used bookshop in the Annex and some other locations in Toronto. I do know of one at Queen and John and another near the World's Biggest Bookstore at Yonge and Edward. However, they don't accept some DVD's if they are very old.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
BMV. There's a mention about them in the OP. It's a used bookshop in the Annex and some other locations in Toronto. I do know of one at Queen and John and another near the World's Biggest Bookstore at Yonge and Edward. However, they don't accept some DVD's if they are very old.

Ah, good idea. I didn't even think about BMV.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member

Awesome thanks. Mine aren't too old - mostly TV show seasons and what not. I'll call them up and find out.

explodet

I recently took a stack of old DVDs to BMV - there were certain ones they wouldn't take probably because they had a massive backlog of similar copies. I then went to Sonic Boom near Honest Ed's and they gave me a quarter each for the rest of the DVDs. As I was just clearing space as well, it was fine by me.

Neither of them would take any anime, though. That I'm just going to dump at Goodwill or something.

TV show seasons shouldn't be a tough sell at BMV though. They took all of mine and wouldn't take movies like Spider-Man and X-Men - popular crap.

isny

napkin dispenser
I recently took a stack of old DVDs to BMV - there were certain ones they wouldn't take probably because they had a massive backlog of similar copies. I then went to Sonic Boom near Honest Ed's and they gave me a quarter each for the rest of the DVDs. As I was just clearing space as well, it was fine by me.

Neither of them would take any anime, though. That I'm just going to dump at Goodwill or something.

TV show seasons shouldn't be a tough sell at BMV though. They took all of mine and wouldn't take movies like Spider-Man and X-Men - popular crap.

I think most of us ended up getting rid of our back catalogues of old DVD's back when BBV was offering $5 in credit each before they went belly up. Good times!

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Not sure if there are any deals going on, but what's the current cheapest option for Vita memory cards? Looking to buy a 16GB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom