• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

X-Factor

Also if you live in Toronto I bought a 32 GB vita card new from GameCentre on Yonge street for 79.99 but that was sometime in the summer.

zroid

Banned
I ended up getting my 16GB from Shoppers by going with my parents on a Thursday :p. It was MSRP but with 20% off and a $10 gift card I got it for $38 essentially.

Yeah, and at FS too.

What price did Wonderbook even launch at in the first place? The FS website says "Save $20" so I'm presuming $30?

Talk about a quick price drop though.

I would get it if it was the cool stuff in the videos of the prototypes and not Harry Potter bullshit. Rowling doesn't deserve any money from anyone for that garbage.

Hilti92

It means the distributor has decided the change the packaging. So the old discs that didn't sell go back, and they get shiny new packaging, something that may be more marketable or updated packaging.

So what is EB doing now? Giving $3.00 for any title? So many of you talking about this deal but I don't think I get it.

No, they are giving an extra trade in when you trade in 3, 5 or 7 games with a trade in value of $3 OR more. You get what you usually get for games, most of the older shit is for $3 or less but you can still find some older games for upwards of like $7. You get an extra $10, $20 or $30 based on what you trade I believe. It's on their website under trade ins or whatever and if you want to see a rough value of your old games go to TIVS.ca.

Sora_N

My Anarchy Reigns from FS shipped, I used the $10 off coupon so it was $20. I didn't even know this was out NOW, thought it was Jan 31.

Anyone know what rechargeable batteries would be best for a 360 controller and a Canon camera flash? AA batteries

And what prices are like?

zroid

Banned
My Anarchy Reigns from FS shipped, I used the $10 off coupon so it was $20. I didn't even know this was out NOW, thought it was Jan 31.

Mine too~

Now I just need that EB pre-order to ship so I can get my Bayo code
and then promptly return the game >_>

Cheerilee

Anyone know what rechargeable batteries would be best for a 360 controller and a Canon camera flash? AA batteries

And what prices are like?

The best batteries you can get for both the 360 controller and digital cameras are Sanyo Eneloops. Rayovac Hybrid is slightly inferior but you'll probably never notice the difference. Both brands are what is called "low self-discharge NiMH".

NiMH is a new-ish kind of rechargeable with a lot of power, but they tend to go dead in a month even if you don't use them. Low self-discharge NiMHs have slightly less power, but they keep it really well.

Sanyo and Rayovac are (afaik) the only companies making them, but they sell them to other companies who re-brand them as their own product.

NCIX tends to sell Eneloops. Here's a link to a set, but it's $20 right now and they were recently on sale for $15.

Shoppers Drug Mart frequently has "Duracell Pre-Charged" on sale (same product, sometimes Sanyo, sometimes Rayovac, but with a Duracell name). I don't remember the price, but I remember people saying that when Shoppers had them on sale, it was the cheapest place to get them.

If you have a digital camera (which I'm assuming uses two AA batteries) you will definitely want at least eight AA batteries and one charger capable of charging two AAs, minimum. You're going to want a fully-charged spare pair on hand for both the camera and the controller.

Fake edit: Looking at the NCIX link, it seems Sanyo has some newer higher-power Eneloops available, and you can add a four-pack to your order for $23. It might be a good idea to get a four-pack of those high-power ones for your camera and use the regular Eneloops on your 360 controller.

The best batteries you can get for both the 360 controller and digital cameras are Sanyo Eneloops. Rayovac Hybrid is slightly inferior but you'll probably never notice the difference. Both brands are what is called "low self-discharge NiMH".

NiMH is a new-ish kind of rechargeable with a lot of power, but they tend to go dead in a month even if you don't use them. Low self-discharge NiMHs have slightly less power, but they keep it really well.

Sanyo and Rayovac are (afaik) the only companies making them, but they sell them to other companies who re-brand them as their own product.

NCIX tends to sell Eneloops. Here's a link to a set, but it's $20 right now and they were recently on sale for $15.

Shoppers Drug Mart frequently has "Duracell Pre-Charged" on sale (same product, sometimes Sanyo, sometimes Rayovac, but with a Duracell name). I don't remember the price, but I remember people saying that when Shoppers had them on sale, it was the cheapest place to get them.

If you have a digital camera (which I'm assuming uses two AA batteries) you will definitely want at least eight AA batteries and one charger capable of charging two AAs, minimum. You're going to want a fully-charged spare pair on hand for both the camera and the controller.

Fake edit: Looking at the NCIX link, it seems Sanyo has some newer higher-power Eneloops available, and you can add a four-pack to your order for $23. It might be a good idea to get a four-pack of those high-power ones for your camera and use the regular Eneloops on your 360 controller.

Thanks, I have a Canon T3i, definitely doesn't take AA batteries haha, but yea, I want to get 8, I think the flash takes 4 :|

Threi

notag
For the duraloops check that the tops are white and that it's made in Japan. There are also ones with black tops that are made in China that have the same packaging (usually the one that's included with the charger) but they aren't the same.

Anyone have any idea how much WiiU games trade in for at BestBuy?

I'm also looking for a way to trade my Source GC for a BestBuy one. I know it was easy to do that on RFD a few years back, but now sure if it's still something people do.

Sora_N

EB.ca has a few guides on sale, gonna grab my Anarchy Reigns copy along with a Guild Wars 2 guide (even though I don't play anymore $7 is not bad, I may get back into it) and Pokemon BW2 $11.

Somehow I remember my Visa # now lol, easier to buy stuff at work without getting out my wallet...

Sora_N

Yeah, I checked tivs before posting. They've been slow to add the WiiU games unfortunately. Is BestBuy like EB with insisting you come into the store to get some trade in values?

Yeah I think BB/FS need you to come in for the values. EB might give it over the phone though.

EDIT: Lol EB shipped my stuff already..wow, I ordered this morning and release day for Anarchy is tomorrow.

Apparently Futureshop isn't accepting Wii U games as trades yet. That's what I was told when I inquired about the trade value of Zombie U. They have always been willing to tell me trade values on the phone.

Best Buy Gamers Club sent me a coupon, trade 1 selected game (a lot on the list) and receive a PS3 controller (choice of color).

I have Need For Speed: The Run that I paid 5$ and that is on that list. I did not finish the game yet and I already have 4 controllers... but it is almost too good to pass!

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Best Buy Gamers Club sent me a coupon, trade 1 selected game (a lot on the list) and receive a PS3 controller (choice of color).

I have Need For Speed: The Run that I paid 5$ and that is on that list. I did not finish the game yet and I already have 4 controllers... but it is almost too good to pass!
Was just about to post it.

voGhk.png

Even older games that were taken off the list for other deals are back.

zroid

Banned
bah, now I'm regretting not hanging on to that $10 copy of Tetris Axis I picked up a while back. Don't really need another Dualshock 3, but I'd love a coloured one to complement the two blacks.

voGhk.png

Are their coupon always like that? I clicked the link, the coupon has no bar code, no code, nothing. Just stating the deal and that I need the coupon and my RZ card. I could have made the coupon myself, I have a feeling that the guy at Best Buy will not know what that is and that it will be complicated...

Alot of $19.99 games, but it may be hard to find $9.99 games though. Damn, so tempted to get a white dualshock.

I am heading to Best Buy at opening for a white one, should have cost me 5$ total. Grabbed NFS: The Run for 5$ during a Best Buy super sale! Now to see if it will go smoothly or if it will be complicated!

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Going to trade in my old Gran Turismo 5 for the controller and pick up GT5XL with a gift card I have. $20 for a controller is good enough for me.

Thank fuck, I live in Manitoba and get nothing next day. My fingers are crossed for better deals next

Also I just cancelled my Amazon.com Prime sub and said in the comments that they should have Amazon Prime in Canada. Can't help but think I persuaded them here guys haha

EDIT: Just used this and the two day shipping still charges you, seems to be a launch day hiccup, if you are signed up for prime just select that shipping and call Customer Service to get the shipping charge waived.

DJ_Lae

voGhk.png

Done. They open in an hour and I'll head over there and nab a white one.

And a Wonder Book. For ten bucks I'll give it a shot and my daughter will probably enjoy it.

DJ_Lae

Yeah I'll need streaming or something extra. Paying that much just for free two day shipping isn't that compelling when free shipping already only takes 2-3 days.

Sora_N

voGhk.png

No white one at my local BB, wtf.....anyone know if I can risk getting a different colour and then switching it?

I have a copy of Tetris Axis, $10 ain't bad. I did a ISPU for the white one at my other BB.

I'm just trying it out for sure, curious to see if they can actually get it to me in that time frame, shipping to Manitoba is slow as fuck. If they added a streaming service I'd probably be more inclined to keep it after the trial period is up.

BadWolf

If its just faster shipping then its useless to me as well.

I often end up with free shipping and don't really mind the wait.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
This is my exact question. What makes it worth $80/year?!

Now Amazon's regular orders will be slow as shit shipping and you'll be begging for prime by Christmas. Bwohoho.

If that nightmare scenario did happen, I'd just use Amazon a lot less. I hate UPS and .ca is not exactly the same fountain of deals that .com is

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom