• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reynatis (PS4, PS5, Switch, and PC) | Review Thread + Discussion thread

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire
Don't really mind that it doesn't have EN dub, but sharing it here nonetheless since it's relevant info.

Title: REYNATIS
Release: September 27, 2024
Platforms: Nintendo Switch™, PS4®, PS5®, Steam®
Genre: Action RPG
Players: 1
Text Language: English
Audio Language: Japanese
Rating: ESRB: RATING PENDING
Publisher: NIS America, Inc.
Developer/Licensor: FURYU Corporation

ReyBrujo

Gold Member
Doesn't really affect me, I play with original audio whenever possible. Discovered NIS too late unfortunately, missed several of their gems in the past and trying to recoup lost time at least on Switch.

Thick Thighs Save Lives

: Shibuya Patrol Record No.1
Every Monday, Sari will showcase comparisons with famous places and stores in the real-world Shibuya while performing her patrol duties. Spot No.1 is the Shibuya Scramble Crossing

Thick Thighs Save Lives

We only had a very brief chance to take a look at Reynatis at NIS America's booth during Anime Expo, yet the game is already leaving a strong first impression - thanks to a fascinating combat system, which feels unlike anything else I've played - even if we've got a lot left to see, when the game will launch later this year.

Reynatis' gameplay revolves around the player character's two main states; Suppressed and Liberated. You can only attack while in Liberated state, but this comes with a caveat - a character's MP will drain the longer they stay Liberated, and special attacks drain the MP faster. Pressing the left bumper, you can switch between Liberated and Suppressed state. While you'll be unable to attack while Suppressed, you gain access to the ability to dodge enemy attacks to regain MP.

When attacked while in Suppressed state, you're prompted to hold down the dodge button to fill up a symbol, and then release it to deal extra damage, regain MP, and switch to Liberated immediately. While it's not entirely necessary to do so, players can manually force themselves into Suppressed state before an enemy attacks to take advantage of the counter; it's not especially challenging to pull off this parry maneuver, though it still feels satisfying without negatively impacting the battle's tempo.

While I say the combat is simple; it's worth considering that the demo takes place during a very early place in the game, and while in the full release players will be able to switch between up to 3 different playable characters at will, we only ever had the chance to switch between two - and for only one battle, to make matters even more difficult to judge. That being said, even during the early stages the game's combat felt engaging - and since different characters have their own MP pools, I could imagine switching between them at will, depending on their available MP.

Visually, the game is looking pretty good. We played it on PlayStation 5, which was certainly smoother than the Nintendo Switch version running nearby - though it looked quite impressive for the handheld. We were told that the Switch version would run at 30 FPS, while the PlayStation 5 release targets 60 FPS with an increase in fidelity.

Thick Thighs Save Lives

This looks even more boring in action

It looks like those low budget PS2 games, and not in a good way.
There's definitely potential there, and I hope they release the demo in the West too, since I want to play it for myself before buying it.

I won't comment on the PS2 comparison since that's just bait, and I honestly expected more from you.

Thick Thighs Save Lives

1aa1blank.jpg

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Main character doesn’t look good. It’s like they’re trying to capture Vaan/Sora and got something a lot more hollow. It has this odd space issue where there’s so much open space. There appears to be nothing in the environment to interact it or texture to the environment. The city looks boring and empty. Such a shame because the overall aesthetic and color scheme is not bad.

I have this preordered at a local shop. However, I am already deep into four games and shuffling my way through Pokémon Eevee in Japanese. I don’t know when I would play it. I was considering canceling my order.

I’ll give the demo a try this weekend.

Reactions: Isa

Isa

Sadly I missed the update, but did see the demo when browsing PSN. Its pretty good, to me anyway. Definitely has that Switch element to it, in terms of lower quality assets despite playing on PS5, but its smooth and I like the atmosphere and characters, the world and lore also seem intriguing. I was already going to get this but the demo sealed the deal for me. It plays odd, but I like it? For example timing the counters and such was weird to understand at first but after a little while I got it down. Interested to see how the M.E.A. and Guild unfolds.

Its not AAA, maybe not even A by most peoples standards but its new, unique enough and reminds me of clunky/janky b-tier games from PS2-3 era. This and Lollipop Chainsaw are really taking me back lol.

Skifi28

Really didn't like the combat in the demo. I can't say it was something specific, but it had a "been there done that and a hundred times better" feeling. Felt almost like a checklist of basic things that should be included in a combat system with no soul of it's own. The circle thing when dodging also seemed like something that would get old really fast.

Last edited:

night13x

The demo made me pass on this. I was 35 minutes in and I just...wanted to quit and not play it anymore. The story/script is written to the lowest level, the horrible combat (it does things ....just to be different...which doesnt work), and the overall presentation was ps2 era in the wrong way. Also the invisible walls...everywhere...was meh.

They are really trying to push that TWEWY crossover and FFversusXIII edgelord, but I think once people play it, they will see it was made on an extremely low budget for the price they are charging.

It might be a fun $15-$20 max playthrough on a weekend.

The demo of this is released on all the stores now (PSN, eShop, Steam)

I played it and it reminded me of those cookie cutter assembly line JRPG's that Imageepoch made for PSP that no one bought and then they went bankrupt. If you played Crymachina though you probably already know what to expect from FuRyu

The game looked like a PS3 game visually, the story seemed ultra generic and written by an AI, the main characters didn't do anything interesting for the duration of the demo, and the combat system doesn't really make a lot of sense. It seems like they tried to put together bits and pieces of other combat systems but once you figure out you have a button mash mode on a countdown meter and a dodge mode where you run around and try to get the enemy to swing at you so you can perfect dodge to fill up the button mash mode meter, then it's pretty mindless

They are really going to charge $60 for this, yeah I don't think so. It's probably a $20 game but I have a backlog filled with way, way better games I still need to play so I'm not thinking I'll get around to this one ever

Last edited:
Have this preordered thanks to generous GameStop trade-in bonus, but I’m going to cancel. I ordered it when I just wanted a JRPG. Now I am drowning in them. After playing the demo, I have almost zero interest in this. The combat is dreadful. Crymachina was better than this.

Thick Thighs Save Lives

Reviews are not looking good. Might still pick this one up, but once it's on deep discount.

M5WO1MQ.png

Critic Reviews

8Bit/Digi - Stan Rezaee - 9 / 10
REYNATIS is an action experience that tosses you onto the streets of Shibuya while making you question your characters.

Console Creatures - Bobby Pashalidis - Recommended
Reynatis has heart but feels like a previous generation relic with sometimes archaic game design elements. However, it has some good ideas, fun combat, and good music working for it.

Final Weapon - Raul Ochoa - 3.5 / 5
REYNATIS is a great action RPG that interprets the themes of a "fantasy based in reality" in an intriguing setting: Shibuya, with a bustling underground of wizards. From the perspective of protagonists Marin and Sari, players may unleash their magic with unique Wizart abilities and explore another world that runs in parallel with their own. Despite some of the game's limitations and flawed execution in various areas, it delivers a compelling story without overstaying its welcome.

GamingTrend - Henry Viola - 65 / 100
Reynatis is close to a master at one trade, with its unique and refreshing combat system. But there's too many other pieces that drag the overall presentation down, especially with its outdated graphics, poor Switch performance, awkward camera angles, and high price tag. However, even through all its minor to glaring flaws, and believe me there are many, it's an adventure I find myself looking fondly back on the things it does well.

IGN Italy - Majkol Robuschi - Italian - 5.5 / 10
Quote not yet available

Niche Gamer - Fingal Belmont - 7 / 10
Quote not yet available

Nintendo Life - Ethan Zack - 5 / 10
It would be one thing if Reynatis was a decent enough action RPG to turn your brain off to and enjoy some simplistic, button-mashy battles with. The problem is that the creators behind this title so obviously wanted it to be more than that, but it doesn't have the writing quality, the technical spectacle, or the mechanical depth to make it happen. Just like its co-lead Marin, Reynatis' single-minded ambition to reach greater heights unveils its greatest weaknesses - a sense of aimlessness and a general apathy toward its own fantastical world. If you believe you can still find some enjoyment in Reynatis despite its failings, it might be worth a shot. Unfortunately, the performance deficiencies of this Switch release make it a game that's best played on just about any other console you have available. With plenty of other great action RPGs out on the market, you have to wonder if it's worth the trouble.

NookGaming - Thomas Knight - 7 / 10
Reynatis is a rather curious experience. Its story is enjoyable, but it has its issues. The gameplay has some great ideas but it sometimes fails to realize them properly. Luckily the combat is frequent and fun.

While it's certainly not perfect, I did enjoy playing through Reynatis and I believe others will too. I just wonder about the reasons behind some of the game design decisions made.

Push Square - Jenny Jones - 5 / 10
The story and world-building are definitely the most interesting things about Reynatis but it’s a shame everything else feels so half-baked and repetitive. It’s hard to get invested in the characters when the dull combat makes you want to get through the adventure as quickly as possible.

The Beta Network - Anthony Culinas - 5 / 10
Even with the help of three Square Enix vets, Reynatis has regrettably fallen short. Its dated PS2-like graphics, copy-paste environments, blatantly reused boss fights and annoying mechanics inevitably damper this 12-hour action RPG. While Shibuya looks lovely, the combat is flash and the narrative about wizards overcoming oppression is intriguing, the gameplay, story and certain characters could’ve been fleshed out further. The drama does have its moments and the Japanese voice-acting is high quality, it’s just a shame that the experience leaves much to be desired.

The Games Machine - Emanuele Feronato - Italian - 7.5 / 10
Reynatis offers a compelling story and some nail-biting combat with a dual system of defense and offense that engages properly, especially in boss fights with huge monsters. Unfortunately, exploring Tokyo and the parallel world Another is not as engaging, as apart from rare situations it proves to be little more than a walking simulator. Technically it is not excellent, with models and textures reminiscent of what we saw on PS3, however, at least there is no slowdown or frame loss. If you are looking for a storyline full of charismatic characters, this might be your game.

The Outerhaven Productions - Scott Adams - 4 / 5
Reynatis is a very fun action RPG that ticks a lot of boxes for me with its challenge and personality. The character models in gameplay do lack polish but the designs are gorgeous.

TheSixthAxis - Miguel Moran - 6 / 10
Reynatis is a game full of heart that reminds me of the golden age of PS2 RPG adventures, for better and for worse. It's full of interesting ideas, but is lacking consistent execution. If you can see past that, I do think that the charm of the game – the strong character writing, the living city of Shibuya, and angsty JRPG vibe of it all – will really resonate.

Last edited:
Top Bottom