• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ_Lae

Dunno, maybe someone can tell me under what scenarios monoprice is a good deal for Canadians?

You'd have to see if there's an equivalent to those keyboard and headphones you've picked out - the cheapest no-name cherry blue keyboard I see on NCIX right now is $70, and I doubt you'd be able to get a pair of headphones comparable to those monoprice ones at that price. So I wouldn't immediately discount it just because the shipping is fairly high, but yeah, it's more painful compared to an order to the US.

And if you're doing a volume order the shipping is relatively less. Certain items in bulk (I'm buying a bunch of SATA cables, for example, which even on Amazon are pretty ridiculous priced) help too. Same with their HDMI switches, which are quite good - matrix 2x2 or 4x2 ones in particular, which are hard to find elsewhere and even more expensive. I wouldn't order it on its own, but in a full order of a dozen cables or more plus a few odd things makes it worthwhile.

Plus I usually go in on an order with one of my friends or family members and split the shipping.

kennah

We just ordered $200 in cables from Monoprice at my work and only paid the 5% GST in duties. Even their cheapest shipping option is really really fast.

btkadams

hey guys, a while back i took advantage of tsilon e3 preorder codes (turns a $60 game into a $40 game).

i just went through them and noticed my metal gear rising preorder.

LNstT03.png

limited edition???

GLIZX47.png

did i get the $149 limited edition for $40???

zroid

Banned
Best Buy did the same thing. I'm sitting pretty with a $48 LE pre-order I placed in November. I'm highly skeptical it's going to work out, since presumably every FS and BB pre-order placed before December (or so) got bumped to LE. They might not even get enough to fulfill all of the orders.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
White Vita will be $200 Feb. 1-3 at Future Shop.

Trade 2 for $60 returning as well. I hope the dumb list is back up for Friday. Maybe those that buy the AssCreed Vita would flip AssCreed+another game for $60 GC.

We're still not biting. Too few games and we have little time / resources to devote to our huge collection as it is.

Sora_N

Just went to EB before getting to my campus, they had FE but no artbook. I changed my Metal Gear preorder to FE no problem, except the guy screwed up my preorder since I traded in for it. It was supposed to be tax exempt, but it wasn't. Luckily the manager let me have a discount still, 10% off FE so it ended up about the same as my credit. I only paid $5 in the end, will most likely be passing on Metal Gear for now.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
cheapest place to get bulk ethernet cable?

need quite a bit to hook up my ps3 to my network so i can stream hd video.

Is Active Surplus in downtown Toronto cheap? I know they sell really long ethernet cables. I'm not sure how their prices compare to others though.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
So are ALL the EB's now selling FE? If so I might just go try pick it up tomorrow after lecture... Do we know why they're breaking street date by so much? :D I won't complain though!

Sora_N

So are ALL the EB's now selling FE? If so I might just go try pick it up tomorrow after lecture... Do we know why they're breaking street date by so much? :D I won't complain though!

Not sure about that, but they probably got an email from head office saying it's ok to sell. Definitely call your EB ahead just in case though.

zroid

Banned
okay Best Buy clarified that tweet thanks to another query. seems they haven't received the shipment from Nintendo yet, but they plan to send them to consumers as soon as they get the games in.

doesn't appear like I might end up getting it before Monday anyway :\

Smiley90

Not sure about that, but they probably got an email from head office saying it's ok to sell. Definitely call your EB ahead just in case though.

Oh, good idea, I'll do that. I'll ask them if they have stock and are selling before I make the detour on my way home. Still have like 35bucks on a gift card I can use for it :)

Sora_N

Oh, good idea, I'll do that. I'll ask them if they have stock and are selling before I make the detour on my way home. Still have like 35bucks on a gift card I can use for it :)

Don't forget to ask if they have any extra artbooks they can hold for you (if you want one), sadly my store had none but I can't argue with paying only $5 out of pocket.

Smiley90

Don't forget to ask if they have any extra artbooks they can hold for you (if you want one), sadly my store had none but I can't argue with paying only $5 out of pocket.

How would that work? Don't you only get the artbook with a pre-order? Or does buying it now still count as a pre-order or what?

Vamphuntr

okay Best Buy clarified that tweet thanks to another query. seems they haven't received the shipment from Nintendo yet, but they plan to send them to consumers as soon as they get the games in.

doesn't appear like I might end up getting it before Monday anyway :\

They should have them in store before the weekeend anyway if it's like their usual Sunday releases. Maybe if you are lucky they will ship to you today so you get it on Friday.

Pretty fascinating how the distribution for games work isn't it? Sometimes Eb Games gets their copies a day or two late after Future Shop/Best Buy and sometimes it's the opposite.

cjkeats

Sounds like EB shut down the sales: http://www.ebgames.ca/3ds/games/fire-emblem-awakening/315790

back up for pre-order again, no bonus.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (Wii U and 3DS) is up for preorder on bestbuy.ca ($5 off).

I'm pretty sure I'm getting the digital versions but I'll preorder just in case. It would be nice if there was a bundle deal.

zroid

Banned
I don't think Fire Emblem qualifies for the $10 credit? For the games that do, it seems to explicitly mention it in their product pages.

Either way though, I think the best "deal" on both games will be $5 off at bestbuy.ca. For Pokemon in particular, I'm betting that it will be added to the 800RZ promo at some point before release, which means pre-ordering *now* will net you $5 off AND 800RZ.

Willectro

Banned
You could preorder FE from Futureshop and use the $10 credit to buy BW2, only deal I'm aware of right now.

I ordered FE from FS. I forgot I had a $37 giftcard, so that helped. I'll get Pokemon later.

I don't think Fire Emblem qualifies for the $10 credit? For the games that do, it seems to explicitly mention it in their product pages.

Either way though, I think the best "deal" on both games will be $5 off at bestbuy.ca. For Pokemon in particular, I'm betting that it will be added to the 800RZ promo at some point before release, which means pre-ordering *now* will net you $5 off AND 800RZ.

Bestbuy.ca seemed to be sold out online.

Depending on the trade 2 list at Futureshop, that could be a good place to start. We have our two $60 gift cards stored away for MonHan.

Unfortunately I just traded a bunch of stuff in towards a PS3 and Ni No Kuni.

Smiley90

Seeing pople say yes, but if they called you telling your pre-order was in they will honor it and give it to you.

GODDAMNIT called EB, apparently they got massive backlash by Nintendo and a mass recall and were told to immediately stop selling it until official release date and take it off the shelves :( that's what I was told at least.. So it seems like that didn't last long :(

Sora_N

GODDAMNIT called EB, apparently they got massive backlash by Nintendo and a mass recall and were told to immediately stop selling it until official release date and take it off the shelves :( that's what I was told at least.. So it seems like that didn't last long :(

Sorry to hear that, I'm so glad I was able to get it yesterday. Sounds like EB is in trouble now with Nintendo (they really don't like broken street dates).

zroid

Banned
Haha, oh man. Had a feeling this would happen. But I kinda thought it was Nintendo of Canada's fault rather than EB's.

Ooh well, I'm not really in a hurry to start FE, need to get through NNK first...

lol holy shit...sounds like the next time EB messes up there will be Nintendo Ninjas coming after them.

cjkeats

Oh damn. Ice cold Nintendo.

frequency

I got my copy of Fire Emblem and the pre-order "art book". It's the same size and quality (post-card-like paper stock) as the Xenoblade one.

zroid

Banned
I got my copy of Fire Emblem and the pre-order "art book". It's the same size and quality (post-card-like paper stock) as the Xenoblade one.

Yeah, I was thinking of not bothering with the art book, but having glimpsed a few stills, I think I need to have it. It looks really nice.

I'll return my $35 online pre-order from Best Buy and pay the $5 extra to get it in-store on Monday with the book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom