• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

zroid

Banned
Slightly bummed there's no mention of Fire Emblem in either FS or BB flyers for the coming week. :(

FS is doing another T2->$60 also

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale BOMBA. =(

$24.99 at Shopper's, starting Feb 2nd (PS3 & Vita version).

Hopefully they will actually have stock in at the location near me. I swear, shopping at Shopper's for games is really hit or miss. I always have bad luck.

Slightly bummed there's no mention of Fire Emblem in either FS or BB flyers for the coming week. :(

FS is doing another T2->$60 also

Hopefully they put their expanded list up on Friday instead of the shit list.

Just an FYI that Dragon's Dogma is on sale for 40ish dollars (incl GST) for 360 and PS3. Still not low enough for me but seems like a good price for folks eager to play it.

http://www.amazon.ca/Capcom-71501401-Dragons-Dogma/dp/B002I0J6KU/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1359655067&sr=1-1
http://www.amazon.ca/Capcom-33046-Dragons-Bilingual-Game-Play/dp/B003O6G6G4/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1359655092&sr=1-1

At this point I'd just wait for the Expanded version in April if that's the best sale they can muster.

zroid

Banned
Most of the Shoppers near me are worthless for games, but one in particular (Hwy 7/Warden) always seems to have a healthy selection. They actually have a couple of floor racks dedicated entirely to non-clearance software.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
125 Queensway Shoppers always has a good selection of games, as does the Shoppers at College and Yonge. Then there are a few like the one at Windermere and Bloor that have almost nothing. It's weird how the selection changes so drastically, but it just means you have to learn where the good spots are.

A few BB/FS stores closed today.

http://business.financialpost.com/2...lose-15-stores-in-canada-lay-off-900-workers/

fp0201-closing-best-buy.jpg

Sora_N

The Metrotown Futureshop in BC closed a few weeks ago as well, that was such a great store. I think they closed since they took all of the land in Station Square out. :/ Their closing sales were meh though.

Tiktaalik

How soon until the massive strip malls towns have been building with these big box stores as anchor tenants turn into complete ghost towns?

The Metrotown Futureshop in BC closed a few weeks ago as well, that was such a great store. I think they closed since they took all of the land in Station Square out. :/ Their closing sales were meh though.

Heh heh, Station Square, see any Blue Hedgehogs? j/k XD

Anywho, glad none in Toronto are affected, I've seen loads of places with both stores near each other, it's convenient, there are some differences such as what they have, so they're not carbon copies.

Leeness

LOL I pointed out the south surrey location in the other thread haha. The few times I've been there the place has been a ghost town. Are they going to have closing sales? Or just moving stock to other stores... Man maybe I should use those best buy GC's soon... They do still work at future shop, but still.

WEEPING for my coupons :(

frequency

Facing pressure from online electronics retailers such as Amazon and Apple, Best Buy Canada will close 15 of its big box stores before opening smaller outlets.

That makes me sad. I think I do more shopping at Best Buy/Futureshop than I do Amazon.ca. Amazon.ca (not marketplace seller) stock and selection is very poor for many things.

And what about Apple is the article saying? Best Buy/Futureshop sell Apple products and there aren't really that many Apple stores around are there?

That makes me sad. I think I do more shopping at Best Buy/Futureshop than I do Amazon.ca. Amazon.ca (not marketplace seller) stock and selection is very poor for many things.

This is my concern as well. I rarely buy games on Amazon and feel that there sales are weak at best. The only thing that makes them a bit more attractive for games is the recent addition of Prime which I'm still undecided is worth paying for once my free month is up.

Guess we'll see how this pans out in the future (no pun intended). In general, more choice = better for consumers but I'm not sure if that will hold true in this case.

Takuya

Banned

And what about Apple is the article saying? Best Buy/Futureshop sell Apple products and there aren't really that many Apple stores around are there?

I really only shop there for things I need -right away-. For everything else I try to buy online to avoid paying crazy Quebec taxes.

lupinko

Yeah that was shut down for different reasons as Station Square is being turned into a bunch of pricey highrises.

GG-Duo

Oh wow, I didn't know about this. I know that they're completely renovating Station Square, but I didn't think it was going to start this soon.

Yeah that was shut down for different reasons as Station Square is being turned into a bunch of pricey highrises.

There'll still be some shops underneath, right?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
That's so crazy, I thought Calgary Macleod would be one of the last places that would close down lol...I don't live in South Calgary though, so I can't say I know how business goes for them.

Yeah, pretty crazy. I was in the Sunridge location looking at movies section. Just a disaster.

Exr

Damn, didn't even know they were closing as well. Those apartments are going to be expensive.

Vamphuntr

I'm not really surprised that BB is closing down some of its stores. The US side also had issues in the recent years and they faced strong competition from online retailers including their own online store. Shopping at BB and FS was mostly an irritating experience to me as their associates are forced to push down on you tons of worthless warranties extension, tech support services offers or explain to you how to fill a survey about their performance online.

According to the news on TV they are planning to open much smaller Best Buy Mobile store instead. I guess they will try something like The Source where they only carry what is popular?

Yeah, pretty crazy. I was in the Sunridge location looking at movies section. Just a disaster.

Sunridge is always a dog's breakfast. Seems par for the course with most Futureshops in the city though. Best Buy by contrast always seems much better organized. Maybe FS employees see no incentive in keeping things organized since there's no comission in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom