• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to the news on TV they are planning to open much smaller Best Buy Mobile store instead. I guess they will try something like The Source where they only carry what is popular?

Unless they're changing the model that they're existing Best Buy Mobiles have been built off of, it's more focused on actual mobile technology. Phones, tablets, e-readers, mp3 players, GPS..etc.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I'm just worried we won't get the great E3 deals this year. Hopefully it doesn't affect tsilon codes in the future either.

Firestorm

The Metrotown Futureshop in BC closed a few weeks ago as well, that was such a great store. I think they closed since they took all of the land in Station Square out. :/ Their closing sales were meh though.
I am so goddamn angry about that condo development. Closing down Boston Pizza and Red Robin kills the sit-down food choices before a movie -.- It's either Sushi Garden or Uncle Willy's unless we wanna walk far now. That was also one of my regular Future Shops even if the staff was the worst of the ones I frequent. Also an easy backup movie theatre for old movies / when SilverCity was full.

Agh :(

Sunridge is always a dog's breakfast. Seems par for the course with most Futureshops in the city though. Best Buy by contrast always seems much better organized. Maybe FS employees see no incentive in keeping things organized since there's no comission in it.

I was gonna laugh, but then I realized that it was probably true.

I'm usually at the Sunridge BB myself, since I work really close to that location. The last time I went to the FS near there, the labels on the games/movies weren't updated, and they were just kinda chucked onto the shelves in no real order.

This makes me wonder though. How big is Calgary-GAF? I never really bothered to try and find/count them up lol

That's so crazy, I thought Calgary Macleod would be one of the last places that would close down lol...I don't live in South Calgary though, so I can't say I know how business goes for them.

Yeah same here, still Canyon Meadows store is just 5 minutes away.
Macleod was just 1 minute walking from where I live, used to make in-store pick up all the time :(
Now I have to face some traffic to go their nearest site :((

I'm usually at the Sunridge BB myself, since I work really close to that location. The last time I went to the FS near there, the labels on the games/movies weren't updated, and they were just kinda chucked onto the shelves in no real order.

This makes me wonder though. How big is Calgary-GAF? I never really bothered to try and find/count them up lol

Yeah me too, glad that Calgary is finally mentioned a couple of times lol

Sunridge is always a dog's breakfast. Seems par for the course with most Futureshops in the city though. Best Buy by contrast always seems much better organized. Maybe FS employees see no incentive in keeping things organized since there's no comission in it.

I heard from employees that Futureshop has comission and Best Buy does not.

I'm just worried we won't get the great E3 deals this year. Hopefully it doesn't affect tsilon codes in the future either.

I think that their online stores are going doing pretty well. I would not be surprised to see them focus more on the mobile stores and their online shop.

Sora_N

I am so goddamn angry about that condo development. Closing down Boston Pizza and Red Robin kills the sit-down food choices before a movie -.- It's either Sushi Garden or Uncle Willy's unless we wanna walk far now. That was also one of my regular Future Shops even if the staff was the worst of the ones I frequent. Also an easy backup movie theatre for old movies / when SilverCity was full.

Yeah, I used to hate Metro FS but over time I got used to it. Really really sucks. I miss Red Robin already! :/

Cheerilee

Crap. Now what am I going to spend my Airmiles on?

Seems to be at least a few of us lol

And what about Apple is the article saying? Best Buy/Futureshop sell Apple products and there aren't really that many Apple stores around are there?

Apple currently dominates 29% of the Canadian electronics landscape, more than any other company. And it's growing. So between Apple stores, Apple online, and authorized resellers (like BB and FS) there's less and less room for other companies in the market.

frequency

Apple currently dominates 29% of the Canadian electronics landscape, more than any other company. And it's growing. So between Apple stores, Apple online, and authorized resellers (like BB and FS) there's less and less room for other companies in the market.

Best Buy and Future Shop sell Apple products. Maybe I am misunderstanding the article?

The quote is
Facing pressure from online electronics retailers such as Amazon and Apple, Best Buy Canada will close 15 of its big box stores before opening smaller outlets.
It read to me like the writer is saying one of reason for close is because of pressure from Apple. But is not Apple success helping them sell more product?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Batman AC (Wii U) $29.99 used and ZombiU $39.99 new at Game Centre in downtown Toronto. Nothing else seemed to stick out. $6.99 Steel Dliver new, might have been the right eShop price at least.

zroid

Banned
I seem to call there was someone posting in this thread a while back about his adventures in acquiring beer in Nunavut

This isn't really a deal question but does anybody know the price of RE5 and RE6 on PSN? I thought RE6 was 29.99 now.

EB has physical copies of RE6 for $29.99. Since you're probably only gonna play it for 5 minutes and want to sell it, that might be the way to go.

^ jmoe...what's up dude? Chilly enough for you this week? Add me on XBL (Goldenroad) or PSN (Phish09) if you get a chance.

Oh no I love RE6 (love is strong but I really like it), I sold it off a while a go thinking it would be ported to WiiU. It probably won't so I want to grab it again.

So where's the best place to get Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate? I tried looking at best buy, but the site has no pre-order incentive that I can spot.

If there are no good places for preorders, then I might just wait till day 1. It's MH, not like the game flies off the shelves to begin with lmao

So where's the best place to get Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate? I tried looking at best buy, but the site has no pre-order incentive that I can spot.

If there are no good places for preorders, then I might just wait till day 1. It's MH, not like the game flies off the shelves to begin with lmao

I find a 5$ off on a 39.99$ 3DS game to be a pretty fine incentive!

Oh, crap...I was only looking at the Wii U version lol. Preordered the 3DS one, although I'll probably go pick up the Wii U version on release day as well.

Just got an email from Best Buy offering (spend X get X amount gift card) for Future Shop due to their store closing.

How does that work, you spend the money in store and they give you the gc in store?

Also asscreed white vita bundle on sale for 200. I might bite... Maybe they have one in a store so I can get that gc for fs and use it to buy a memory card.

Zzoram

Does EB still give HotS beta keys for pre-ordering the standard edition? I asked the clerk and she didn't even know what HotS or SC2 was.

wingz

Does EB still give HotS beta keys for pre-ordering the standard edition? I asked the clerk and she didn't even know what HotS or SC2 was.

They should, but it's only until their supplies last. Hopefully, you run into someone more helpful next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom