• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Clearance sales are almost always a scam though. People are tricked by the large percentage discounts and don't actually do the math on what they're paying. And it works every time. lol

Beside if they raise the price just before the clearance so the % off ends up bringing the price to the price the item should be, I don't understand what you are saying. I went to Zellers and there was a bunch of 40% to 70% stuff, I got a bunch of shit and it ended up being pretty cheap for all that I had. How is this a scam?

I am not calling you out, I want to be aware of what to look out for so I don't get screwed!

Socreges

Banned
Clearance sales are almost always a scam though. People are tricked by the large percentage discounts and don't actually do the math on what they're paying. And it works every time. lol
You're exaggerating a fair bit here.

A Sportsmart near me had a clearance sale recently and I got some insane deals. That isn't an anomaly.

Today was the last day, games were at 80% off. If you know your prices, you know what's the floor for prices, and how low it can get. Halo Reach for $8.50 is not a bad idea if you're getting it as a present.

You are right that yes, their normal price is pretty shitty ($43 for Castlevania LOS? LOL), but at 80% off, will be the cheapest you can find for it, new OR used.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Damn, there are still Zellers around? The one where I live closed last summer and became a Wal-Mart.

Dundas West Zellers is still up in Toronto, I believe. Someone was at the corner of Queen and Roncesvalles with a big ZELLERS CLEARANCE sign, pointing people toward the store.

Has anyone here ever imported a cheap Chinese tablet? If so, from where/were you hit by heavy import duties?

I've been thinking about getting one strictly for streaming video, and the prices seem pretty good. I know you get what you pay for, but I figure at the prices they go for, and for my minimal needs, it can't hurt to take a chance.

(Alternately, do any Ottawa GAFfers know if there are any shady Chinese electronics stores in town? I was sure there'd be at least one or two, but I can't find any anywhere.)

Dundas West Zellers is still up in Toronto, I believe. Someone was at the corner of Queen and Roncesvalles with a big ZELLERS CLEARANCE sign, pointing people toward the store.

OOH! Postal Code or simply the address/intersection for the Dundas West one? Hold up, that's not downtown is it since there's a Dundas West station isn't there?

isny

napkin dispenser
(Alternately, do any Ottawa GAFfers know if there are any shady Chinese electronics stores in town? I was sure there'd be at least one or two, but I can't find any anywhere.)

This is Ottawa. I'd be very surprised if you found anything remotely like this here. Try Chinatown I guess?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
OOH! Postal Code or simply the address/intersection for the Dundas West one? Hold up, that's not downtown is it since there's a Dundas West station isn't there?

Correct, it's just south of Dundas West Station, just north of Roncesvalles.

2264 Dundas St W, Toronto, ON, Canada

Faster to take the subway all the way. Otherwise you can take the Dundas / College streetcars from downtown for about half an hour to reach it.

Yeah, but I like walking if it's manageable. :p

Also, are there any Microplays left in Toronto? There are in Montreal, but I want to be in an English one again as my fondest memories were in the Microplay at Leslie where the Pickle Barrel is, my dad was a waiter there and we'd go to MP so many times when he was working at PB, I miss him so much more. :'(

This is Ottawa. I'd be very surprised if you found anything remotely like this here. Try Chinatown I guess?

Yeah, that's what I figured, but I was still holding out hope that, somehow, there was some place in Ottawa I'd missed out on over the last 20 years. Thanks anyway!

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Just keep an eye out on kijiji for regretful people. Someone is selling a Polaroid tablet for 100$, for instance.

Boulayman

I am hearing a lot of good stuff about fire emblem so I am thinking of getting a 3ds. Is there anywhere that the fire emblem 3ds bundle is still around ? Is a 3ds xl worth it compared to a 3ds ? The fact that it's a bigger screen with the same resolution makes me a bit dubious ? Where can I get a 3ds / 3ds xl for the cheap right now ?

Boulayman

Has anyone here ever imported a cheap Chinese tablet? If so, from where/were you hit by heavy import duties?

I've been thinking about getting one strictly for streaming video, and the prices seem pretty good. I know you get what you pay for, but I figure at the prices they go for, and for my minimal needs, it can't hurt to take a chance.

Actually, there often sell them on ' special' at those dealfinder / groupon websites.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I am hearing a lot of good stuff about fire emblem so I am thinking of getting a 3ds. Is there anywhere that the fire emblem 3ds bundle is still around ? Is a 3ds xl worth it compared to a 3ds ? The fact that it's a bigger screen with the same resolution makes me a bit dubious ? Where can I get a 3ds / 3ds xl for the cheap right now ?

I own a regular 3DS and I've used the XL and the XL is a much, much nicer machine in my opinion. Unless you're really set on owning the bundle, I'd definitely get an XL.

iphys

Go with the XL. The screen is amazing, and it's better in so many other ways. The regular 3DS is like the Gameboy Micro for how tiny the pixels are -- you have to cram it up to your face to not look microscopic, and then the 3D won't work if you hold it too close.

Magnus

Dudes (and dudettes):

Best deal found on Game of Thrones BR season 2?

Also, funny thing I found while aimlessly reading Wikipedia for a few minutes (from the Wiki entry for Prime Minister of Canada):

Origin of the Office

The position of prime minister is not outlined in any Canadian constitutional document and is mentioned only in passing in the Constitution Act, 1982,[3][4] and the Letters Patent issued in 1947 by King George VI.[5] The office and its functions are instead governed by constitutional conventions and modelled on the same office in the United Kingdom.

lol

Boulayman

I think I am sold on the xl. Now my quest to find the game starts. I very briefly asked at futureshop and saw that the gamebuzz and the Source stores at the Eaton Center didn`t carry it. I just now checked amazon and the online best buy and fshop stores. AMazon is selling it for 90 bucks and the other two are sold out. Any other suggestions (I'm Montreal based)?

I am thinking of trying Walmart and an ebgames next to my house tomorrow. I am pretty sure the ebgames downtown is soldout. I miss HMV selling games:( Nobody used to buy games there so I would always be able to find them :(

zroid

Banned
Dudes (and dudettes):

I'm still waiting for a deal on Season 1 :|

Like, sub-$40, that is

edit: apparently it is getting a reprint released on the same day as Season 2. But it's going for the same rate as Season 2. Eat poop, HBO/Warner. -_-

UberTag

I think I am sold on the xl. Now my quest to find the game starts. I very briefly asked at futureshop and saw that the gamebuzz and the Source stores at the Eaton Center didn`t carry it. I just now checked amazon and the online best buy and fshop stores. AMazon is selling it for 90 bucks and the other two are sold out. Any other suggestions (I'm Montreal based)?

I am thinking of trying Walmart and an ebgames next to my house tomorrow. I am pretty sure the ebgames downtown is soldout. I miss HMV selling games:( Nobody used to buy games there so I would always be able to find them :(
If you come up empty, you can always buy it off eShop and download it.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Don't expect too much. I was at the Gerrard Square clearance sale and it was total garbage. Games that were marked up with a percentage sale that did absolutely nothing.

zeitgeist

Dudes (and dudettes):

Also, funny thing I found while aimlessly reading Wikipedia for a few minutes (from the Wiki entry for Prime Minister of Canada):

lol

$50 for Blu Ray from Amazon isn't too bad. 5 bucks an episode in HD might be worth it. Plus I expect there will be cool features.

UberTag

What's the best store to find new old games around the GTA area?

Looking for Halo 2 for PC and Bully: Scholarship Ed for 360.
That would be a sweet gimmick for the next Grand Theft Auto game.
Being able to walk into stores and purchase old Rockstar titles.

zroid

Banned
I wonder how long it'll be before vendors start adjusting their prices such that everything, after taxes, rounds up two cents.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Funny story about the penny rounding: My brother said that a Tim Horton's employee in Stouffville tried rounding up to the nearest dollar (something like 20 cents) on him a week ago. He called the manager over because of how stupid it was and the manager didn't see the problem. He said he had to give the manager a math lesson. :lol

Funny story about the penny rounding: My brother said that a Tim Horton's employee in Stouffville tried rounding up to the nearest dollar (something like 20 cents) on him a week ago. He called the manager over because of how stupid it was and the manager didn't see the problem. He said he had to give the manager a math lesson. :lol

what's stopping retailers from just changing the price of all their products so we'll always be rounding up?

jred2k

what's stopping retailers from just changing the price of all their products so we'll always be rounding up?

Nothing, but you're being paranoid if you think its going to happen or matter. For instance, if they make everything end up as xx.03 or xx.04 then you'll still have times where the sum of your purchases will be xx.01 or xx.02. The only time it will matter is if you only buy one thing at a time. I imagine the amount of cash purchases for most business is such a decreasing amount it probably isn't worth the effort.

zroid

Banned
Nothing, but you're being paranoid if you think its going to happen or matter. For instance, if they make everything end up as xx.03 or xx.04 then you'll still have times where the sum of your purchases will be xx.01 or xx.02. The only time it will matter is if you only buy one thing at a time. I imagine the amount of cash purchases for most business is such a decreasing amount it probably isn't worth the effort.

While my suggestion above was mostly in jest, I think to be fair, most cash purchases are made for small purchases nowadays. Therefore, it might be in a retailer's best interest to force rounding up for these small purchases of single items (higher fraction of revenue is increased for them), while for larger purchases of multiple items, it would be less and less relevant.

So they could theoretically do it and have the change only take effect when it would actually matter to them.

TheExodu5

Banned
Just went to T&T today for the first time.

Picked up a variety of things

Roast Duck
BBQ Pork
BBQ Pork Buns
Coconut Bread
Milk Tea
Persimmons
Red Papaya
And a few other things

It's a pretty overwhelming store. There's so much to choose from. Any recommendations on things to buy there?

Quick

Banned
Just went to T&T today for the first time.

Picked up a variety of things

Roast Duck
BBQ Pork
BBQ Pork Buns
Coconut Bread
Milk Tea
Persimmons
Red Papaya
And a few other things

It's a pretty overwhelming store. There's so much to choose from. Any recommendations on things to buy there?

BUY THEIR DIM SUM.

Some of the best I've had is from T&T, seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom