• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

GG-Duo

Anyone know any places that will price match the 160GB PS3s? Future Shop still shows the product page at $199, only thing is they're sold out, Best Buy took their listing off the website, VGP.ca won't price match consoles, and the Walmarts near my house were sold out last I checked, and I'm not dealing with EB Games. Help?

What price are you looking to get it for? It's still 195 on dell.ca

Vamphuntr

Yeah no luck at all in Ottawa for Fire Emblem. Even Microplay is sold out.

Did they even have it in stock in the first place? My Microplay in QC did not receive copies at all and I had a preorder there. Thank god I had preordered at ebgames for the book too and got the game monday. In the end I didn't get the book but I have the game. I was supposed to pick my preorder at Microplay and sell it to a friend but at this point I'm not even sure they will stock it. It's not even on their website.

It's too bad because usually I have a great experience with Microplay.

Quick

Banned
Is there a limit on Best Buy's price matching when it comes to online prices?

Saw Griffin having a sale on the Arrowhead (tablet stand) for $12.99, vs. Best Buy's price for $24.99. Amazon.ca has it for $19.99. I'd rather price match with Griffin vs. Amazon.ca. Is this possible?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Is there a limit on Best Buy's price matching when it comes to online prices?

Saw Griffin having a sale on the Arrowhead (tablet stand) for $12.99, vs. Best Buy's price for $24.99. Amazon.ca has it for $19.99. I'd rather price match with Griffin vs. Amazon.ca. Is this possible?
It's totally random. I find that you have better luck in store now, since the cashier usually doesn't care and, at least at the store I go to, they don't need to ask managers for passwords any more so there's no one to double check.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Mhmmm... The EB near me has no PHYSICAL Fire Emblem game left... But download codes are still available... Not sure if want...

What do you guys think? On one hand I like physical copies, on the other hand downloading it and always having it on the device seems cool... I have no idea, but how's the harddrive space on the 3DS XL? Does it easily allow for multiple downloaded games?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Mhmmm... The EB near me has no PHYSICAL Fire Emblem game left... But download codes are still available... Not sure if want...

What do you guys think? On one hand I like physical copies, on the other hand downloading it and always having it on the device seems cool... I have no idea, but how's the harddrive space on the 3DS XL? Does it easily allow for multiple downloaded games?
You can upgrade the SD card to a 32gb card if you want, so other than cost, space is not that much of an issue. For reference, the XL comes with a 4gb card.

I have no idea how big Fire Emblem is as a download though...

Smiley90

it's approximately 1.1 GB

So... It should fit? I have no idea how many blocks I have left available, but I have no other games installed, just the software given... I just need to know if it'll fit on that :D don't have my 3ds on me to check right now...

btkadams

So... It should fit? I have no idea how many blocks I have left available, but I have no other games installed, just the software given... I just need to know if it'll fit on that :D don't have my 3ds on me to check right now...

it fit on my 3ds (og model) with the sd card that came with it. you should have no problem. i also have some downloadable games on it.

Smiley90

it fit on my 3ds (og model) with the sd card that came with it. you should have no problem. i also have some downloadable games on it.

Sweet, thanks! I think I'll just get the download code then, not too attached to cartridges... Will be alright.

Jessicat

What price are you looking to get it for? It's still 195 on dell.ca
I missed the FS/BB sale when they were at $179. I checked out dell.ca, but I forgot about the +$25 taxes, and shipping ._.; My old fat PS3 keeps dying on me, maybe I'll wait for the PS4 announcement and hope for a permanent price drop on the PS3 XD Thanks for the tip though, I always thought Dell only sold [crappy] computers ^^;

frequency

Is there any online retailer that still stocks PSP consoles?

None of the big ones have it anymore. I'm not sure if there are any smaller sites I don't know of or even American sites that will ship to Canada.

Vamphuntr

None of the big ones have it anymore. I'm not sure if there are any smaller sites I don't know of or even American sites that will ship to Canada.

Did you try estarland?It's in the US but they have tons of retro stuff.

frequency

Did you try estarland?It's in the US but they have tons of retro stuff.
I've never heard of them before. Do you know what shipping service they use? I can't seem to find anything about it. USPS? Or courier?

Tried your local Wal Mart?
Yes. No local store here ever stocks old stuff. I just recently gave up trying to find a PS2 locally. I'm looking for another PSP now because the charging port in this one I think is breaking. It only charges if I put the charging cable in a specific way.

The PSP is still my most played console so I would be really sad if I can't find a replacement.

krae_man

Gamestop has refurbs, At this point there's a chance they are new ones they were never able to sell. You could check those out.

frequency

Gamestop has refurbs, At this point there's a chance they are new ones they were never able to sell. You could check those out.

Is there a chance for the EBGames.ca refurbished ones to be new? I can not see any stock where I live on the website for any new or refurbished ones.

But EBGames.ca has stock (online) for refurbished. I would buy it if there's a chance it's new or if at least they do a good job fixing them so that I can rely on it for many years more.

krae_man

Is there a chance for the EBGames.ca refurbished ones to be new? I can not see any stock where I live on the website for any new or refurbished ones.

But EBGames.ca has stock (online) for refurbished. I would buy it if there's a chance it's new or if at least they do a good job fixing them so that I can rely on it for many years more.

I'm pretty sure the took the last new PS2 stock they had and put them in refurb boxes. I think someone on GAF said they do that. They may have done the same thing with the PSP. Regardless, just to into an EB and ask to take a look at a few and decide if it looks nice enough.

I bought mine from The Source just a few months ago. Only $35, too (thought that was for a Hannah Montana-branded one).

That is your other bet go to places like The Source or Staples etc and see if they have old stock sitting around on clearance.

I bought mine from The Source just a few months ago. Only $35, too (thought that was for a Hannah Montana-branded one).

I missed the FS/BB sale when they were at $179. I checked out dell.ca, but I forgot about the +$25 taxes, and shipping ._.; My old fat PS3 keeps dying on me, maybe I'll wait for the PS4 announcement and hope for a permanent price drop on the PS3 XD Thanks for the tip though, I always thought Dell only sold [crappy] computers ^^;

Free shipping from Dell, and use 2MZQC$?MS5CG4C to take $15 off.

Voila, $180.

Speaking of PS3 anyone know if we ever got that repair option where you send in your broken 60 gig and get a refurb slim for $99?

I tried calling support but I ended up sitting on hold for 40 minutes until I was disconnected. Figure I'll try tomorrow.

I have had problems with Futureshop gift cards not working on their site. Is it possible to go back to the store and refund my CC and use the Giftcard instead with online purchases? seeing as we have the tsilon.ca deals I had to use my CC after I noticed the gift card wasn't working.

Hieberrr

Whats the word on availability of Fire Emblem? I just finished Res Evil and need a new game

Stores get 1-2 each shipment. I visited 4 EB games, a BB, and two shoppers a couple of days ago. Nothing. I missed one EB Game's shipment yesterday when they got 2 in.

As of right now, it's hard to find (imo). It's a mess.

zroid

Banned
Interesting. It seems Best Buy no longer offers $5 off pre-orders. They've changed it to 400 RZ for all pre-orders, while they continue to offer 800 RZ for the bigger releases.

Meanwhile, Future Shop has started doing a similar promotion, but they give you a $5 off $19.99 gaming coupon instead.

iphys

Interesting. It seems Best Buy no longer offers $5 off pre-orders. They've changed it to 400 RZ for all pre-orders, while they continue to offer 800 RZ for the bigger releases.

Meanwhile, Future Shop has started doing a similar promotion, but they give you a $5 off $19.99 gaming coupon instead.

Sigh, and they're still not even offering any discounts on Wii U game pre-orders either. At least the FS credit is for online purchases though, which I'd prefer to the 400 RZ points, but I'm not too sure how many more games I'll be buying if this is all we have to look forward to.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I still don't get why BB can't figure out how to get their certs to work online. The American side of the company can do it, but why not the Canadian side?

Stage On

Welp I no longer have any reason to preorder from Best buy then. The nearest physical store is too far to bother with 99% of the time making the reward points more trouble then they are worth.

:( That $5 off upfront was super useful too. The way things are going I've got a feeling that the E3 sale this year is going to be worse then ever. Like more useless reward points instead of an actual upfront discount.

Last day clearance at Zellers Richmond Hill, made it out of there with a cheap copy of Blood Stone and some coffee.

Anyone keeping tabs on which ones are closing where/how many days left until final closing?

Entropia

No One Remembers
Last day clearance at Zellers Richmond Hill, made it out of there with a cheap copy of Blood Stone and some coffee.

Anyone keeping tabs on which ones are closing where/how many days left until final closing?

There are some still open? Wow. I take it they're being closed out permanently without a Target moving in?

That reminds me, the Target across the street from me should be opening in like a month or two, yeah?

There are some still open? Wow. I take it they're being closed out permanently without a Target moving in?

That reminds me, the Target across the street from me should be opening in like a month or two, yeah?
Yes, there's a bunch open. Games dept are anywhere from 30-70% off.

target openings are being rolled out. There's a bunch in spring 2013 aka march or april, and there's some all the way in winter 2013, and some in between.

All of them have to be closed by March 31st except, apparently, for the three that are staying open.

You can also see which ones are still open on the Zellers site (thus marking the only time, ever, that their website was useful).

Anth0ny

So what the fuck is the issue exactly with Fire Emblem? Are they going to ship more physical copies or what?

Right now it feel like they gave 5 copies to every retailer, they've been sold, and they're never going to get any more again. I don't feel comfortable buying digitally from Nintendo, so what's the deal? How long will I have to wait until amazon.ca gets it in stock?

So strange.

DJ_Lae

So what the fuck is the issue exactly with Fire Emblem? Are they going to ship more physical copies or what?

Right now it feel like they gave 5 copies to every retailer, they've been sold, and they're never going to get any more again. I don't feel comfortable buying digitally from Nintendo, so what's the deal? How long will I have to wait until amazon.ca gets it in stock?

So strange.

Yeah, it is weird. Some say they're trying to encourage E-shop purchases (as I'm sure their profit margins are significantly higher there), but no way in hell I'm locking myself to Nintendo's archaic DRM.

I just don't know how long I'll have to wait to get a copy.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Clearance sales are almost always a scam though. People are tricked by the large percentage discounts and don't actually do the math on what they're paying. And it works every time. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom