• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lurkee

Neo Member
Lots of people who work in retail can't do simple math to save their life. I've had totals like $7.32 and I've given the cashier $10.07 and had them give me a weird look and not know why I gave them the 7 cents. That's the problem with this change, it requires mental math that most people can't do. The POS machines needs to be programmed to automaticly display rounded change for cash transactions.

Is there a trick to this? Because truth be told, it took me a second or two to do the math. :p

So I'm looking to switch phone carriers (I'm with Rogers now) and I'm trying to figure out who is the best.

I like everything about virgin but their phone selection. Telus and Bell have the phones I want but their plans are terrible

I do very little talking, but want call display and use around a gig of data a month.

I pay $100 a month at Rogers now, which is wayyyy to expensive.

Any advice?

MarkusRJR

So I'm looking to switch phone carriers (I'm with Rogers now) and I'm trying to figure out who is the best.

I like everything about virgin but their phone selection. Telus and Bell have the phones I want but their plans are terrible

I do very little talking, but want call display and use around a gig of data a month.

I pay $100 a month at Rogers now, which is wayyyy to expensive.

Any advice?
Koodo and Virgin are my favorite carriers but they have really shit phone selection. If you need to get a subsidized phone you're pretty much stuck to the big three. Wind is pretty good but they don't exist in a lot of places. It's really all personal preference tbh.

timnich

Try calling customer service and telling them you want to cancel your service with Rogers. At least when I did it, they gave me a pretty good deal to try and keep me. I managed to get 6 GBs of data, call display, my5, early evenings and a bunch of other extras and my monthly bill comes to something like $58 after tax. The trick is to keep declining their bogus offers until they get to the good stuff.

Try calling customer service and telling them you want to cancel your service with Rogers. At least when I did it, they gave me a pretty good deal to try and keep me. I managed to get 6 GBs of data, call display, my5, early evenings and a bunch of other extras and my monthly bill comes to something like $58 after tax. The trick is to keep declining their bogus offers until they get to the good stuff.

Here's where it gets tricky. I just upgraded 2 months ago because my old phone broke. They cut me a deal on the early upgrade fee. Do you think they'll give me another deal? I have nothing to lose anyways.

Also in terms of phones, does anybody hae a windows phone? I really like them but if I'm stuck with this thing for years I want it to be supported by at least Microsoft and htc.

Lurkee

Neo Member
Here's where it gets tricky. I just upgraded 2 months ago because my old phone broke. They cut me a deal on the early upgrade fee. Do you think they'll give me another deal? I have nothing to lose anyways.

Also in terms of phones, does anybody hae a windows phone? I really like them but if I'm stuck with this thing for years I want it to be supported by at least Microsoft and htc.

It sounds like you already renewed your contract then? I think you can check on the myRogers website.

krae_man

Is there a trick to this? Because truth be told, it took me a second or two to do the math. :p

I understand doing that math in your head instantly isn't something everyone is capable of, but there's this amazing device in front of you called a till. It can calculate the change for you if you just type in the amount I gave you, instead of the $10 bill shortcut button.

I did but I can get out of it for 300. In the long run it will be cheaper to pay off my tab than keep paying Rogers every month.

Price wise, Wind is amazing if they have a phone you want and service where you go. $30/month for unlimited text, Data, and local calling is just insane. You can only get a $200 subsidy however which means you'll end up paying a lot for the phone up front. What phones do you want?

I understand doing that math in your head instantly isn't something everyone is capable of, but there's this amazing device in front of you called a till. It can calculate the change for you if you just type in the amount I gave you, instead of the $10 bill shortcut button.

Price wise, Wind is amazing if they have a phone you want and service where you go. $30/month for unlimited text, Data, and local calling is just insane. You can only get a $200 subsidy however which means you'll end up paying a lot for the phone up front. What phones do you want?

Wind looks great but I'm out of their zone.

I was looking at the htc 8s if I went with Virgin, or the Note 2 if I went with anybody else.

I wasn't crazy about Android when I had the Galaxy S2. I found that it locked up a lot, but that might have been the phone itself.

krae_man

Wind looks great but I'm out of their zone.

I was looking at the htc 8s if I went with Virgin, or the Note 2 if I went with anybody else.

I wasn't crazy about Android when I had the Galaxy S2. I found that it locked up a lot, but that might have been the phone itself.

Wind has both of those so...Move:p

Well Virgin has the 8S and you can get a $20 or $25 silver plan with 2gb of Data for another $25.

Lurkee

Neo Member

I'm not bad at math either; I think with a lot of retail workers, they can get into a repetitive rhythm where they kind of shut down a lot of their brainpower just so they can get through their shift. So when someone disrupts that rhythm, they get thrown off. Or it could just be the integers. lol.

As for Wind: I agree. I have an amazing retention plan right now with Rogers, but it expires this September, and I'm anticipating not being able to renew with them, so I'm debating between Wind and Mobilicity.

RS4-

Any of you guys have your 360 repaired? My other one is out of warranty and I'm sure it has something to do with RROD. System powers up, dvd tray opens up, etc; but I don't have any of the indicator lights turn on. And please, no gamerama or whoever it was by Yonge and Eglinton lol.

Any of you guys have your 360 repaired? My other one is out of warranty and I'm sure it has something to do with RROD. System powers up, dvd tray opens up, etc; but I don't have any of the indicator lights turn on. And please, no gamerama or whoever it was by Yonge and Eglinton lol.

http://fasttech.ca/shop/index.php?l=product_list&c=3

I used this guy and he was actually pretty good. He's west of the city in Mississauga.

btkadams

that 3ds xl promotion (nintendo) for a free game sounds pretty dope. i hope the colour situation improves by april 30th. i will probably jump in when there is a fs/bb deal.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Do you guys know if that promotion also applies to purchases made before that period? :/ e.g. I already registered my 3DS XL, what happens if I buy one of the 2 games during the period, will I still get the free game? Or is it only if BOTH are newly registered? :(

zroid

Banned
Do you guys know if that promotion also applies to purchases made before that period? :/ e.g. I already registered my 3DS XL, what happens if I buy one of the 2 games during the period, will I still get the free game? Or is it only if BOTH are newly registered? :(

The XL needs to be registered from today onwards. Yeah, it sucks. :(

Fortunately I've been hoarding my code, so I should be okay. Generally the best policy with Club Nintendo is to not register anything until you feel you have to. Either because it's the end of the year (June) and you need to get Elite status, or if you need coins for a new reward in the catalogue. Saving is smarter.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
The XL needs to be registered from today onwards. Yeah, it sucks. :(

Fortunately I've been hoarding my code, so I should be okay. Generally the best policy with Club Nintendo is to not register anything until you feel you have to. Either because it's the end of the year (June) and you need to get Elite status, or if you need coins for a new reward in the catalogue. Saving is smarter.

I have two XLs left to register and we were planning on buying both games as well. I wonder if I can do the promo twice within a family account.

Leeness

Okay, I need a hand everyone. My mom is losing her mind so I need CanadaGAF help, please <3

My mom got an iPhone 4 from Telus last year sometime, and in November, it shut off and wouldn't turn back on. She took it into Telus and they sent it away for repairs for "two to three weeks".

Fast forward to today, and they finally called her to come and get her new phone. She goes down there...and it's the same busted iPhone that won't turn on. They said "Well, we'll send it again, two to three weeks, or you can go to the Apple Store in Metrotown and buy your own new iPhone and bring it here and we'll activate it!"

My mom is livid.

I just called Apple and they said that when she gets this next replacement back, to make an appointment and they will figure out what to do. This could be months from now though.

Any other option? Is there someone in Apple we can harass enough to get a new phone? Should she flip Telus the bird and just go to a new provider?

ADVICE? Elite Beat GAF, HELP.

Okay, I need a hand everyone. My mom is losing her mind so I need CanadaGAF help, please <3

My mom got an iPhone 4 from Telus last year sometime, and in November, it shut off and wouldn't turn back on. She took it into Telus and they sent it away for repairs for "two to three weeks".

Fast forward to today, and they finally called her to come and get her new phone. She goes down there...and it's the same busted iPhone that won't turn on. They said "Well, we'll send it again, two to three weeks, or you can go to the Apple Store in Metrotown and buy your own new iPhone and bring it here and we'll activate it!"

My mom is livid.

I just called Apple and they said that when she gets this next replacement back, to make an appointment and they will figure out what to do. This could be months from now though.

Any other option? Is there someone in Apple we can harass enough to get a new phone? Should she flip Telus the bird and just go to a new provider?

ADVICE? Elite Beat GAF, HELP.

If she brings it to the Apple store there's a good chance they'll just give her a new one off of the shelf. If anything Apple breaks, always bring it to the Apple store and they'll take care of you.

Leeness

If she brings it to the Apple store there's a good chance they'll just give her a new one off of the shelf. If anything Apple breaks, always bring it to the Apple store and they'll take care of you.

This is what I figured, but maybe I should get her to go and get the busted one back from Telus before they send it away. Otherwise it will be months again.

Lol I just talked to her and she's all I DON'T WANT TO DRIVE OUT THERE I SHOULDN'T HAVE TO FUCK THIS.

Perhaps I should wait until she calms down before suggesting anything... lol

Firestorm

Yes, the problem was you went to Telus. If anything goes wrong with your iPhone, just take it straight to Apple and they'll give you a refurbished one on the spot.

Leeness

Yes, the problem was you went to Telus. If anything goes wrong with your iPhone, just take it straight to Apple and they'll give you a refurbished one on the spot.

Yep. She called the Apple store and they were like "the fuck?" at how Telus has done this. So my mom is gonna yell at everyone Telus related for a bit and then see what will happen from there haha.

I'm sure she'll have to make the trip out to the Apple store eventually but I'm sure it will make her feel better to yell for a bit.

Firestorm

The Apple Store existing was one of the factors in my decision to purchase a MacBook Pro. If other laptops die I'll need to send it out for repair but with Apple I can reach about 4 different Apple Stores within a half hour bus/skytrain ride :p

wingz

For a 3DS XL, should the faceplate come off easily? My bottom faceplate comes off really easily and I am guessing something is wrong with the unit.

wingz

it's a bit loose... like I can stick my nail under there and pry it back without much difficulty. I'm not sure HOW much I can pry it, if not all the way, because I'm afraid to try. :p

Same thing with mine and it totally bothers me.

Sorry for the double post

TheExodu5

Banned
If ever you're at the LCBO and you see this, buy it:

Wine-sortilege.jpg

So friggin' good. It's seriously like drinking maple syrup. If you're in Quebec, then I'm sure it's at every SAQ. Next time I'm at the SAQ I'm also going to pick up Coureur Des Bois, which I hear is great.

Quick

Banned
I'm looking around Kijiji for a cheap computer to turn into an HTPC, and I've stumbled upon off-lease Dell computers sold by what seems to be multiple people from different parts of Toronto. The Dell computers, I've noticed, are all the same, with varying prices ($110-150).

As general as this question may be, I'll ask anyway: has anybody bought these computers off Kijiji?

Gadirok

Does anyone in Brampton/GTA know of any locations that has Valkyria Chronicles in stock at one of the walmarts? I may drive over after class to pick up a copy since reading week is coming up.

I'm looking around Kijiji for a cheap computer to turn into an HTPC, and I've stumbled upon off-lease Dell computers sold by what seems to be multiple people from different parts of Toronto. The Dell computers, I've noticed, are all the same, with varying prices ($110-150).

As general as this question may be, I'll ask anyway: has anybody bought these computers off Kijiji?

I haven't, but I think canadamonitors is in Ontario and they have been around for a long time. Might want to check prices there first?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
How many XLs did you RFD?!?!?!?

Just you and your wife, right?

Well...knowing you, I think you got one for your dog too...

Our 3DS history is like this.

Aqua Blue at launch. Later in the Summer, wife picks Flame Red up so we can play Mario Kart together in the fall. May of the next year, prior to E3, I pick up a Midnight Purple 3DS because it is a god damn great looking colour and I'm confident there will be no 3DS revision coming out. Of course my plan is ruined within a month after they announce the XL. Wife picks up an XL at launch. We sell the Aqua Blue and Flame Red for a pretty good chunk actually. And then I pick up my XL on SDM points this fall.

All those Club Nintendo coins.

zroid

Banned
I remember someone was wondering whether the 800 RZ for pre-ordering Luigi was legit or not; well, I noticed they had those pre-order cards in-store today for it, which means it qualifies for the 800 point deal.

Boulayman

Lol, I bought a 3ds xl earlier today since I saw the bundle with mario kart at walmart for 199. And I just registered it too and pretty eagerly bought fire emblem to be able to play. Did I just pwn myself out of a free game or sth ?

wingz

Lol, I bought a 3ds xl earlier today since I saw the bundle with mario kart at walmart for 199. And I just registered it too and pretty eagerly bought fire emblem to be able to play. Did I just pwn myself out of a free game or sth ?

No your good. To be eligible for the free game, you can register your XL Feb 14 (yesterday) at the earliest.

Quick

Banned
I haven't, but I think canadamonitors is in Ontario and they have been around for a long time. Might want to check prices there first?

Prices are $200+. Yikes.

In any case, I actually bailed out on looking for a full-on HTPC, and am now looking for a Raspberry Pi computer. There's a dude on Kijiji selling them for $58.00 each, since he bought them in bulk. He has his name and phone number posted on his listing, so either he's being a cool dude and showing people he's not going to scam them, or he's a serial killer using an alias.

On that note, anywhere in Toronto (Scarborough area?) I could pick up a Raspberry Pi, or is Kijiji/local listings the only way? The guy is all the way in Richmond Hill, and I feel like I'd be wasting gas driving there just to pick up one.

Presco

The Apple Store existing was one of the factors in my decision to purchase a MacBook Pro. If other laptops die I'll need to send it out for repair but with Apple I can reach about 4 different Apple Stores within a half hour bus/skytrain ride :p

Amen brother, had my iPhone 5 replaced a two days ago because of a smudge on the camera lens. Ridiculous service. Sucks that there was an issue in the first place but was very happy with the end result. Buying my first Mac, likely in the form of a rMBP whenever Haswell comes out, and my recent experience just reinforces that decision.

I remember someone was wondering whether the 800 RZ for pre-ordering Luigi was legit or not; well, I noticed they had those pre-order cards in-store today for it, which means it qualifies for the 800 point deal.

It was me since 3DS games are usually 400 points! Thanks for clarifying! =)

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone in Brampton/GTA know of any locations that has Valkyria Chronicles in stock at one of the walmarts? I may drive over after class to pick up a copy since reading week is coming up.

Dude, try kjiji or craigslist...but kijiji first. Just saw a ton of them for like 25 dollars.

Our 3DS history is like this.

Aqua Blue at launch. Later in the Summer, wife picks Flame Red up so we can play Mario Kart together in the fall. May of the next year, prior to E3, I pick up a Midnight Purple 3DS because it is a god damn great looking colour and I'm confident there will be no 3DS revision coming out. Of course my plan is ruined within a month after they announce the XL. Wife picks up an XL at launch. We sell the Aqua Blue and Flame Red for a pretty good chunk actually. And then I pick up my XL on SDM points this fall.

All those Club Nintendo coins.

I was in a pretty bad mood tonight. This makes me laugh. You dumbass :p

Though knowing Nintendo, there may be ANOTHER revision...who knows? Make it even bigger or smaller or add that stupid 2nd analog stick on there like they should've put in there before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom