• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

iphys

Wow, that's pretty pathetic. I've never had a pre-order with BB be that late (although it looks like my Bit.Trip Complete is going to be pretty late, but I have a feeling that's the supplier's fault).

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
What's shipping like with FutureShop for pre-orders?

I have Gears 3 pre-ordered and I'm wondering when to expect a shipment notice from them/when I'll get it.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Firestorm said:
Wal-Mart has the LG Optimum Quantum for $78.83 pre-paid on Bell. Unlock it for about $12 and you can use it on any network (3G on everything but the new entrants).

I can't quite understand this sentence. Assume I want to buy a WP7 to screw around with and buy games on, NOT to use as a phone. I don't need 3G, texting, or phoning. Just wifi. Basically I want a Windows 7 Touch. It would cost me $78.83 at Wal-Mart, and I'd never have to pay anything again?

Luigi87 said:
A week later I call Best Buy about my Starfox order.
... Told it is on Backorder (despite the site saying In stock) and more will ship this week.
Fantastic, except for the fact that I was among those who pre-ordered it, so what the heck =/

Same problem here Fox. Just received a reply stating that my e-mail has been forwarded to the "appropriate" department.

My pre-order with FS for Gears of War 3 better not be over a week late.

Thanks for all the support guise :3

I wrote that message in a pretty big vent of frustration. Ultimately it is my own fault for not finding a job, not necessarily because they dont exist, but because I dont have a career path set out in front of me. I probably need to go back to school to get more training, but i'm not sure for what yet. Also it's frustrating because I want to go to law school but I kept fucking up on my LSAT. I just spoke to my cousin who is in Australia attending law school and learned about a school that caters specifically to international students, so i'm seriously considering going there. I would be 100000 dollars in debt (or more) by the time i'm done though, and I would be leaving my new girlfriend
Which isnt THAT big of a deal but she is so hot and skinny and rich and tight i'd like to avoid it
so there are other considerations at play.

The truth is that while I have been looking for the last 3 years, I really don't know what i've been looking for. Graduating into the biggest recession in modern history has made things difficult, but good jobs are hard to find in any economy. I need to really get my act in gear and just put things in motion.

All that being said, I do have a somewhat outlandish plan that would get me a lot of positive attention. Sure it would cost a lot of money but fortune favours the bold n'est pas?
Also I need to get better at french :S

snack

enzo_gt said:
What's shipping like with FutureShop for pre-orders?

I have Gears 3 pre-ordered and I'm wondering when to expect a shipment notice from them/when I'll get it.
I preordered Portal 2 and it shipped 4 days after release date.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
snack said:
Fuck.

The Main Event said:
Same problem here Fox. Just received a reply stating that my e-mail has been forwarded to the "appropriate" department.

My pre-order with FS for Gears of War 3 better not be over a week late.
Same, if I miss out on the first-week bonuses, I'm going to be pissed :/

snack said:

Fail... :(

But buying in store and then returning the shipped copy as the story copy once it arrives shouldn't be a problem, right?

Fularu

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
I can't quite understand this sentence. Assume I want to buy a WP7 to screw around with and buy games on, NOT to use as a phone. I don't need 3G, texting, or phoning. Just wifi. Basically I want a Windows 7 Touch. It would cost me $78.83 at Wal-Mart, and I'd never have to pay anything again?
Im wondering the same.

Mainly for xbox live games and maybe Zune if it's compatible with my Zune software (and library, since I love my Zune80 and hate my iPhone "iPod" fucntion)

Firestorm

Stumpokapow said:
Yep.

Unlocking refers to using it on any phone network. Carriers usually "lock" a phone to their own network. By sending some info about your phone you can get codes to unlock them online for a small fee and then use it on any network that uses the same radio frequencies the phone uses. If you aren't using the phone aspect of it and are sticking to WiFi you don't need to worry about it.

snack

Where can I get XBL points cards for cheap?

DoctorWho said:
Fail... :(

But buying in store and then returning the shipped copy as the story copy once it arrives shouldn't be a problem, right?
Yeah, that's what I usually do.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Mikey Jr. said:
My BBV was picked clean today, but I saw Brink for the 360 for $59.99.

No wonder they are going out of business, lol.
All the Brink copies (new) at my local BBV were $24.99. No one was buying them either.

What was amusing to me was seeing MK9 for $69.99.

krae_man

Luigi87 said:
A week later I call Best Buy about my Starfox order.
... Told it is on Backorder (despite the site saying In stock) and more will ship this week.
Fantastic, except for the fact that I was among those who pre-ordered it, so what the heck =/

I still haven't got mine either. They screwed up and seem incapable of fixing things promptly.

hoverX said:
Where can you still find a blockbuster in Toronto? The one near me closed down a while ago and their site is useless.
There's a few around. BBV has it posted on their website.

So many copies of Bodycount still left. I guess I'll get them at 70% off.

RS4-

For those that want Gears 3 early, check kijiji. I just came across a few postings. I'd go myself but those guys are down in like Etobicoke and Sauga lol.

Onion_Relish said:

I wrote that message in a pretty big vent of frustration. Ultimately it is my own fault for not finding a job, not necessarily because they dont exist, but because I dont have a career path set out in front of me. I probably need to go back to school to get more training, but i'm not sure for what yet. Also it's frustrating because I want to go to law school but I kept fucking up on my LSAT. I just spoke to my cousin who is in Australia attending law school and learned about a school that caters specifically to international students, so i'm seriously considering going there. I would be 100000 dollars in debt (or more) by the time i'm done though, and I would be leaving my new girlfriend
Which isnt THAT big of a deal but she is so hot and skinny and rich and tight i'd like to avoid it

The truth is that while I have been looking for the last 3 years, I really don't know what i've been looking for. Graduating into the biggest recession in modern history has made things difficult, but good jobs are hard to find in any economy. I need to really get my act in gear and just put things in motion.

All that being said, I do have a somewhat outlandish plan that would get me a lot of positive attention. Sure it would cost a lot of money but fortune favours the bold n'est pas?

At the risk of going off-topic, learning French could help you get a government (public service) job (although I have a friend who got a job and they paid for him to take a course to improve his French). Public service jobs are really cushy with lots of benefits and a great pension. Most taxpayers hate you though. :D

I sort of know where you're coming from though. If you want, PM me and we can talk about it.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
AlphaTwo00 said:
So many copies of Bodycount still left. I guess I'll get them at 70% off.

$54.99 * 0.3 * 1.13 = $18.64.

Doubt the game is worth that much, unless it's still got >$8 trade at EB and you want to use it as a T3G1F :p

ShaneB

RS4- said:
For those that want Gears 3 early, check kijiji. I just came across a few postings. I'd go myself but those guys are down in like Etobicoke and Sauga lol.

Yeah, this is where I scored mine from a kijiji posting. I got one in the city however, so I lucked out there and avoided driving out so far west.

RS4-

ShaneB said:
Yeah, this is where I scored mine from a kijiji posting. I got one in the city however, so I lucked out there and avoided driving out so far west.

Bastard! The one by Old Weston?

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Wait, so the Quantum will work with Wind as a talk/text phone? My mother wants a QWERTY slider since French spell checking sucks.

Firestorm

Lyphen said:
Wait, so the Quantum will work with Wind as a talk/text phone? My mother wants a QWERTY slider since French spell checking sucks.
Actually I'm reading a bit more and I don't think it will work on Wind at all. Unlocking will let you use it on any of the Big 3 or their sub-brands though. So Rogers, Bell, Telus, Fido, Virgin, Koodo, Chatr, and Solo.

kswiston

Shopper's Drug Mart is offering 18 500 optimum points when you spend $75 or more from now until Tuesday. 50 000 points gets you $85 off almost anything.

Those of you without an optimum account should get one. Buying your toilet paper, body spray, and junk food adds up to free games and systems over the course of a year.

Just got a 3DS for $22 (tax on $170) using Optimum points saved over the last year. And that is without buying anything I wouldn't have bought anyhow. Just wait for promotions like this one, and the 20x the points promotions that happen ever 4-8 weeks. Using this method over the last 4 years has snagged me 3 free handhelds and 4 free games. As stated in the OP they sell all sony and Nintendo systems, plus a selection of the more popular games. I have seen some stores stock 360 and kinect as well.

Looking forward to a $115 Vita by this time next year.

Mikey Jr.

kswiston said:
Shopper's Drug Mart is offering 18 500 optimum points when you spend $75 or more from now until Tuesday. 50 000 points gets you $85 off almost anything.

Those of you without an optimum account should get one. Buying your toilet paper, body spray, and junk food adds up to free games and systems over the course of a year.

Just got a 3DS for $22 (tax on $170) using Optimum points saved over the last year. And that is without buying anything I wouldn't have bought anyhow. Just wait for promotions like this one, and the 20x the points promotions that happen ever 4-8 weeks. Using this method over the last 4 years has snagged me 3 free handhelds and 4 free games. As stated in the OP they sell all sony and Nintendo systems, plus a selection of the more popular games. I have seen some stores stock 360 and kinect as well.

Not sure what kind of fantasy Shoppers Drug Mart you people are going to, but mine doesn't sell video games, and the store is quite large. Hell, imagining shoppers drug mart selling video games is like imagining Home Depot selling fruits and vegetables.

Too bad, because my mom has a shit load of points.

RS4-

Mikey Jr. said:
Not sure what kind of fantasy Shoppers Drug Mart you people are going to, but mine doesn't sell video games, and the store is quite large. Hell, imagining shoppers drug mart selling video games is like imagining Home Depot selling fruits and vegetables.

The one behind my house doesn't sell games, but recently started selling consoles. Try one of the newer SDMs?

kswiston

Mikey Jr. said:

Every store I have been to in Ontario sells games. The few Quebec stores I have been to also sell games. You can usually find a display with the cameras and other electronics.

Kazerei

Banned
Mikey Jr. said:

All the SDMs I've been in southern Ontario have a small section with cameras and videogames. Prices are usually MSRP, but between 20x points and extra redemption days, you can get a good deal.

Oh, and there's also a seniors day every month where you get 20% off. I actually got my mom to buy Gran Turismo 5 from SDM on a seniors day and it stacked with a spend $50 get $10 gift card.

Oh, and another anecdote. A friend of mine managed to buy a Wii for Christmas in 2007. It was sold out everywhere, but hardly anyone knew SDM carried it. I think that's around when SDMs started carrying videogames. Mostly DS and Wii 'cause they were mainstream.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Mikey Jr. said:

About half the SDMs sell Wii and DS (and now 3DS) games. Generally only very popular third party games and family-friendly Nintendo games.

isny

napkin dispenser
So has anyone besides me noticed how Rogers stopped throttling?

http://kotaku.com/5841355/regulator-orders-canadian-cable-giant-to-stop-throttling-online-games

Also, in regards to SDM carrying videogames, here in Ottawa at least, about half of the stores carry them. It's really hit or miss, and they usually don't get new games right away, but 18500 points for $75 is still better than 20x the points. The only downside is trying to find $75 worth of stuff to buy at SDM that isn't overpriced. (Nintendo points cards maybe? lol)

krae_man

I still have enough money on my prepaid phone till the end of the year. I hope Wind has some good sales around Christmas. Might be time to upgrade to a smartphoen.

Not sure how new this info is, but I picked up Castlevania: Lords of Shadow for 19.99$ at Future Shop (MTL) yesterday. They had both versions.

Conceptor

kswiston said:
As stated in the OP they sell all sony and Nintendo systems, plus a selection of the more popular games. I have seen some stores stock 360 and kinect as well.

Good stuff, that's exactly what you should be doing :). My store sells everything but 360 games. We've got a few Kinects in the back but know one really knows we sell that :lol

About the WP7 phone @ WM.. We've got Rogers/Fido (GSM right?) sims so I'm not sure if they'd work under the Bell frequencies? Either way I think I'll go check if the SuperCenter near me has any.

Nealand Liquor said:
Holy fuck people in my city are beyond gawddamned stupid. Blockbuster not only increased the prices of their used games, on par with (and in some cases greater than) new retail, but they still haven't lowered the discount percentage from %15 and people are buying everything up.

This is freaking maddening to go in everyday and see people purchasing used boat loads of games that they could buy new for the same price or less. There is no doubt that I am surrounded by complete morons.

Take that, RFD whoreders!

Onion_Relish said:
I've been searching for 3 years. Patience is no longer an option.

One thing HR people hate seeing is a long gap of seemingly no employment. They just think you're being a lazy, uninspired, and unmotivated bastard who just ran out of money and options.

That can be switched into your favor though, if you actually did something that was life-fulfilling. People love interesting stories, especially if it's something they wish they could do but can't because they're stuck looking at hundreds of resumes everyday.

"I took a one year sabbatical to find meaning to what I was doing. I traveled to various places, including what I consider exotic ones, and it really opened my eyes to what I'm missing."

"I needed a break from the regular 9-5 so I took a huge risk and spent the last 3 years making money selling things online. It was barely sustainable, but I learned a lot about business, and myself."

"I went to [nice exotic location] for next to nothing, and did [awe-inspiring, enviable activity] for 3 years, because I can."

And if they asked you why or how you did it, you just respond "it was a rare opportunity that I couldn't say no to."

Onion_Relish said:

Damn, you are lucky to have a hot, skinny, and rich girlfriend. I'd say stick around the girlfriend, and see if you can find alternatives to going to Australia and trying to maintain a (near impossible) long distance relationship. (after all, nothing should be more imporant to you than love... and a hot girlfriend.)

What you're doing is just a means to the same end, and there are other means to get the same result. Once you get that foot in the door again, school qualifications are irrelevant.

iphys

I hit up SDM for a bunch of food (eggs, ice cream, crackers, etc. -- I try to buy everything that's on sale and non-taxable, because it's the cheapest way to get points). I'm at over 81,000 points now. I hope they have a super redemption in December again where you get $250 for 95,000 points, because maybe I'll get a PS3.

TheExodu5

Banned
isny said:
So has anyone besides me noticed how Rogers stopped throttling?

http://kotaku.com/5841355/regulator-orders-canadian-cable-giant-to-stop-throttling-online-games

Also, in regards to SDM carrying videogames, here in Ottawa at least, about half of the stores carry them. It's really hit or miss, and they usually don't get new games right away, but 18500 points for $75 is still better than 20x the points. The only downside is trying to find $75 worth of stuff to buy at SDM that isn't overpriced. (Nintendo points cards maybe? lol)
The CRTC is finally doing something good? Wow.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Firestorm said:
Actually I'm reading a bit more and I don't think it will work on Wind at all. Unlocking will let you use it on any of the Big 3 or their sub-brands though. So Rogers, Bell, Telus, Fido, Virgin, Koodo, Chatr, and Solo.
Ugh. That sucks. :(

None of their plans compared to the 25 or 15$ plans with Wind or Mobilicity.

When the first wave of BBV's closed I picked up a few games at 40% off I think it was but checked prices at other stores using my phone in the store and most of them were the same price or cheaper elsewhere lol

Be careful

radiantdreamer said:
Damn, you are lucky to have a hot, skinny, and rich girlfriend. I'd say stick around the girlfriend, and see if you can find alternatives to going to Australia and trying to maintain a (near impossible) long distance relationship. (after all, nothing should be more imporant to you than love... and a hot girlfriend.)

haha yeah i am. It's not like i havent been working. I've had a job at a bookstore for the majority (read: all but 3 months) of the time and i've picked up an odd job contract in the mean time to accent my income, its just that I havent been making any real progress. In the mean time I found a bunch of jobs to apply for so we will see what happens.

Also, i came up with a fun acryonym for the kind of girls i like to date

Tight
Rich
Asian
Skinny
Hot

Just glad she wont be able to see it haha

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Well, I guess the LG Quantum thing was solved for me anyway. They never had any in stock in Kanata.

Shame. I still haven't played with a WP7 device.

Magnus

Improved Rogers performance? Guess I'm completely unaffected. My most dismal showing on Speedtest.ca ever. Fuck this.

Oh, my roommate is playing on Live. Would that slow the test down by much?

Moving in with family for a bit next month; they're on Bell Fibe. How is that? If it's shit, I'll be tempted to get my own dedicated TekSavvy connection, especially if Fibe has a cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom