• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kazerei

Banned
WTF?

1489533135.png

EDIT: Heh, we did our speed tests at the same time too

Fularu

Banned
Firestorm said:
Actually I'm reading a bit more and I don't think it will work on Wind at all. Unlocking will let you use it on any of the Big 3 or their sub-brands though. So Rogers, Bell, Telus, Fido, Virgin, Koodo, Chatr, and Solo.
Didd Bell and Telus change their technology? Rogers/Fido use GSM phones, the same standard used in Europe (which is why I went with them, so I could use european phones well in advance without the horrible prices) with sim cards. When I was with Telus, I had no sim card (the phone was programed to work with their network) and was using the CDMA (I think) standard.

That's why, since I spend at least 3 months a year in France, I went the Fido route, I can just use my phone here with my canadian sim and in France with a prepaid french sim card.

Magnus

-Pyromaniac- said:
You guys are so late on this, we discussed it a lot of pages ago. Rogers upped the speed on their profiles for those using Docsis 3.0 modems.

Does that mean I can (or need to) swap my modem I'm renting from them with a Docsis 3.0 one?

Willectro

Banned
I don't understand why you guys order new release games from Future Shop, Best Buy and Amazon, and then are shocked when there is a delay receiving the game.

whitehawk

Banned
Anyone else going to the Futureshop midnight launch for Gears 3? At Young and Dundas. I get off work at 10:45 so I'm gonna try to line up around an hour early.

Magnus said:
Does that mean I can (or need to) swap my modem I'm renting from them with a Docsis 3.0 one?
well I'm not a Rogers customer per se (tek savvy cable, though tek customers are starting to receive the speed bumps as well), but if you're currently using a docsis 2.0 modem from them, just ask them for a 3.0 modem and you should get the speed bump. You can ask them to confirm but I'm pretty sure that's the case.

You might have to pay a higher rental fee per month though.

whitehawk said:
Anyone else going to the Futureshop midnight launch for Gears 3? At Young and Dundas. I get off work at 10:45 so I'm gonna try to line up around an hour early.
Tempted, but I didn't really order it there... so I'm not sure if I should switch over just to get the game there (and to play the game later)

More importantly, is anyone at the Gears 3 Toronto launch thing right now?

whitehawk

Banned
AlphaTwo00 said:
Tempted, but I didn't really order it there... so I'm not sure if I should switch over just to get the game there (and to play the game later)

More importantly, is anyone at the Gears 3 Toronto launch thing right now?
What is this?

Also I didn't pre-order either, because apparently you can't pre-order the limited edition. First come first serve. I'm crossing my fingers.

I cant find Dead Island anywhere in Edmonton. Anyone have any clue where to find a fookin copy?

Edit: I always forget gamestop's site is now good, and has stock listed, might be able to get a copy, yay!

edit2: Nope, no stock. Site lies like mother fucker! Helps me!!!!!!

will52 said:
I don't understand why you guys order new release games from Future Shop, Best Buy and Amazon, and then are shocked when there is a delay receiving the game.

well price is a big factor for many...getting games like gears 3 for $40

its just such a gong show with the shipping, pre-order bonuses, etc...it sucks that fs/bb has a basically a monopoly and doesnt care at all once they get your money...

that said fs charged my cc friday but im not expecting it for release day...

Takuya

Banned
will52 said:
Mostly for the price. But if I know the shipment won't arrive until X day, I'll buy it new that day, and then return the shipped copy with that receipt. ;D

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
nolookjones said:
well price is a big factor for many...getting games like gears 3 for $40

its just such a gong show with the shipping, pre-order bonuses, etc...it sucks that fs/bb has a basically a monopoly and doesnt care at all once they get your money...

that said fs charged my cc friday but im not expecting it for release day...
In the same boat as you but I just got this email this morning:

Just to let you know your pre-order items(s) are currently awaiting the release date. We'll send you a Shipment Notice email as soon as the inventory is ready.

But.. it lists only the other two games I pre-ordered for 40$, and not Gears 3, but I didn't get a Shipment Notice for Gears 3. WTF IS GOING ON? Does this mean they cancelled my Gears order? Cause it still shows up as a shipment as Shipment #1 under My Orders, and is listed as in progress still.

Halp ;(

Has anyone bought Astro A40s from their eBay shop before? Ive wanted to order A40s for a while, but the shipping on their site is like 90 bucks to Edmonton, but on eBay its listed as 30, which is MUCH more reasonable.

zorbsie

Nobiru said:
Has anyone bought Astro A40s from their eBay shop before? Ive wanted to order A40s for a while, but the shipping on their site is like 90 bucks to Edmonton, but on eBay its listed as 30, which is MUCH more reasonable.

I got my A30s from Proper Reserve in Toronto. If you live in/around the city you can call them up and go into the store. They also have a online store http://properreserve.myshopify.com/collections/astro-gaming
I was skeptical about them, but it was a really good buying experience from them.

zorbsie said:
I got my A30s from Proper Reserve in Toronto. If you live in/around the city you can call them up and go into the store. They also have a online store http://properreserve.myshopify.com/collections/astro-gaming
I was skeptical about them, but it was a really good buying experience from them.

Hrm, basically the same price as the eBay store, but they dont have the PS3 cable in stock right now, hmmmm.

Thanks for the link, I may pick it up from there.

Firestorm

Fularu said:
Didd Bell and Telus change their technology? Rogers/Fido use GSM phones, the same standard used in Europe (which is why I went with them, so I could use european phones well in advance without the horrible prices) with sim cards. When I was with Telus, I had no sim card (the phone was programed to work with their network) and was using the CDMA (I think) standard.

That's why, since I spend at least 3 months a year in France, I went the Fido route, I can just use my phone here with my canadian sim and in France with a prepaid french sim card.
Yes, around the time the iPhone 3GS came out Telus and Bell finished rolling out their 3G network which was the SIM-based HSPA on the same frequencies as Rogers and AT&T. We don't have any CDMA providers in Canada aside from Telus and Bell's old 2G network.

WEGGLES

Went to Blockbuster yesterday and got

DeBlob2 and Vanquish for $23 total. Vanquish was brand new. DeBlob was used but didn't look like it had been rented much.

obama-not-bad.png

snack

Firestorm said:
Yep. Just got my Gears 3 shipping notice as well =)
Same! I preordered from BestBuy though, hopefully it comes on release day unlike Portal 2 which came a week late. Sigh.

Mikey Jr.

Went to Futureshop today at around 1pm. Raining like shit, and at the front, I see 3 guys already waiting at the front of the store, obviously for Gears.

I don't get it, whats the point? They will be sitting out there for probably 9-10 hours, so that they can be the first to get the game? Can't I just come at 11:55pm and pretty much get the same thing?

Lothars

Mikey Jr. said:
Went to Futureshop today at around 1pm. Raining like shit, and at the front, I see 3 guys already waiting at the front of the store, obviously for Gears.

I don't get it, whats the point? They will be sitting out there for probably 9-10 hours, so that they can be the first to get the game? Can't I just come at 11:55pm and pretty much get the same thing?

Yeah I don't understand being there that early but if you go at 11:55, depending how many people it will be like 2 before your done. I am getting to my EB at around 10 pm tonight.

Neki

Mikey Jr. said:

don't they get free swag for being there early or something? t-shirts or hats or something?

IIRC, BB/FS is giving away shirts for first 100.

Especially with weather like today, what's the point? I'm at home playing Gears 2. Better than being in line.

AlphaTwo00 said:
IIRC, BB/FS is giving away shirts for first 100.

Especially with weather like today, what's the point? I'm at home playing Gears 2. Better than being in line.
I got a panzarotti at a pizza hut and showed up half an hour before midnight for Gears 2. Got my stupid action figure along with the game.

Magnus

DoctorWho said:
I was just about to cancel my Gears 3 order on FS but it's apparently already shipped via Purolator Air. It shipped today.

Why by Air? lol You're in Toronto, no?

I just got my notice (Ground). I hope that might mean it's here later today or tomorrow!

Gritesh

I was first in line for gears 2 downtown Edmonton. Started the line up around 930. It was like me and my gf and then three other kids until close to 11 then it started getting busy. I wont be going out tonight though. Not worth it when you work the next day and they didn't give us anything special for being first anyways.

Lostconfused said:
I got a panzarotti at a pizza hut and showed up half an hour before midnight for Gears 2. Got my stupid action figure along with the game.
This is by far the weakest launch. I recall last few there were many more FS/BB that were open. I really don't care much for going downtown just for this...

Magnus said:
Why by Air? lol You're in Toronto, no?

I just got my notice (Ground). I hope that might mean it's here later today or tomorrow!

Weird, the email I received says ground. The notification on the website (prior to receiving my e-mail) said air. Hopefully I get it for tomorrow.

Still says this:

Shipment 2 Shipped via Purolator Air Delivery on 09/19/2011
View Order Receipt (PDF) | Track this shipment

pr0cs

whitehawk said:
Going to the launch here in Calgary, probably for a beer beforehand.

I preordered at FS (to get into the MP beta) so I'm stuck going to FS, otherwise I may have chosen to go to BB for the shirt.

It would be cool to win the lancer replica though (I'm not holding my breath at much chances unfortunately).

Riptwo

Mikey Jr. said:

From what I've been hearing, some FS locations hosting midnight launches received less than five copies of the EE, and not many more limited edition copies. Could be that they just want to secure a copy.

RS4-

1491610769.png

Still on a docsis 2 modem too lol. I need to switch to a 3.0 and my connection is being routed to like...London or wherever the TS main office is instead of my local Newmarket POI.

Ugh, I'll leave my place around 9 for the FS/Gears thing and get there around 1015 or so. Just send me a PM if you're there or heading there, I may hold a place for you! Or you for me :D

(still unsure which version to get)

Mikey Jr. said:

They aren't even first, that's the sad part. Plenty of mom n pop's stores and flea markets in Toronto that will sell early.

RS4-

DevelopmentArrested said:
They aren't even first, that's the sad part. Plenty of mom n pop's stores and flea markets in Toronto that will sell early.
It's probably for the steelbook and chance to win the lancer
And this weather is shit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom