• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am guessing the only way to get this game below MSRP would be if FS has it for T2 and you can find 2 qualifiers for around $45. You could also use your $10 off coupon if you got on this month for buying any new release in store. It's understandable there is no preorder sale going before hand, since it is considered a niche title. Didn't Storm 1/2 (not Generations) take a good 6 months before any price drops?

Yea I remember that Storm 2 took a while. Generation dropped faster but it might have been going with the amount of content in it. I was thinking that you would always get something for pre-ordering at Best Buy, I guess that I was wrong.

Magnus

Anyone in Toronto want my barely used Fire Emblem? Flat $40. Meeting downtown or elsewhere on the Yonge subway line works most evenings. Game's just not for me. Rather have a GAFfer have it than me selling it to a store who'll sell it for $50-60.

Anyone in Toronto want my barely used Fire Emblem? Flat $40. Meeting downtown or elsewhere on the Yonge subway line works most evenings. Game's just not for me. Rather have a GAFfer have it than me selling it to a store who'll sell it for $50-60.

I am disappointed.

DaBoss

Unfortunately, niche games like VLR rarely go on sale. Your best bet is EBGames - your local shop might have a used copy?

I haven't checked anywhere yet, I was hoping on getting it cheap or getting a deal on it. I may wait on a trade-in deal to get it. I don't think I want to get it used, I feel I should support the people who made the game. Thanks for the tip.

RS4-

I'd buy it if I had a 3ds :(

They won't mark it up. EB will give you $25 and then sell it for $35.

Cheerilee

Remember to fill up on gas and do some grocery shopping when you go down to Point Roberts (just keep on driving in straight for a block or two past the Letter Carrier), and your savings can offset the pickup fee, and/or the gas you'll use getting down there.

The deals probably aren't worth the time you spend in traffic, especially if you get caught in rush hour, but if you treat the trip like an adventure, then being stuck in traffic is free, which is a bargain.

Edit: Nevermind.

Mikey Jr.

Question about this whole Unlimited cap Rogers and Bell are doing.

Apparently this "promotion" (I'm guessing for them it's a fucking nightmare lol) apparently ends at the end of March. So...what the fuck? I'm guessing the CRTC told them to do it, but what happens after March 31? They don't have to offer unlimited ever again?

Blackhead

Redarse

Apparently this "promotion" (I'm guessing for them it's a fucking nightmare lol) apparently ends at the end of March. So...what the fuck? I'm guessing the CRTC told them to do it, but what happens after March 31? They don't have to offer unlimited ever again?

What whole unlimited cap thing?!

Edit: Why Are Canadian ISPs Temporarily Ditching Caps? - They Were Worried Canadian Regulators Would Do Their Job For Once | DSLReports.com
Unfortunately for the optimistic, the CRTC released their new rules governing wholesale rates [Feb 21], and they weren't the kind of significant across-the-board wholesale rate cuts many people had expected. As users in our forums note, many of the rates everyone (including incumbent ISPs) expected to be lower -- are instead higher...

Operators likely leave their promotions up and running until they've netted a few more customers, then the promotions will probably slowly go the way of the Laserdisc and the war on independent ISPs will continue...
Is this only for current subscribers?

Well this is lame, I walked into my local game store with wanting to pre-order tomb raider collectors edition but it wasn't available for pre-order anymore. I really wanted it :(. I'll have to find one second hand after it releases now.... *sigh*

I ended up buying the collectors edition of that new metal gear game. It came with a sword in a bottle that lights up. It sound weird I know, but its pretty awesome to look at. I went back and bought another to flip on ebay. It's selling for quite a bit on the second hand market for some reason.

DaBoss

Hi Guys. Just got my account approved. Didn't expect that it will be this fast.

Anyway, I got a question. I'm thinking of buying SD card for my 3DS. I'm torn of choosing between these two SD on amazon.

SanDisk Extreme 16 GB SDHC Class 10

Lexar Professional 600x 16GB SDHC

Which one should I buy and why?

The first link sends me to a 32GB card. The second has a faster read/write speed, while the first has a greater storage capacity. From what I've read, the speed doesn't actually matter for the 3DS, so the thing you have to worry about is reliability and the price per GB. San Disk and Lexar make reliable SD cards, so you don't really have to worry about reliability.

Are you going to go full digital? If you are, then I guess a 32GB card may be worth it, if not, then I would say save money and go for this 16GB card: SanDisk Extreme 16 GB SDHC Class 10

Cheaper than the second one and is 16GB.

zroid

Banned
Speed matters a little, but I think so long as you choose any Class 10 card, you'll be getting roughly the same (optimal) performance out of them. Individual differences between cards will likely have no noticeable impact.

Lexxism

The first link sends me to a 32GB card. The second has a faster read/write speed, while the first has a greater storage capacity. From what I've read, the speed doesn't actually matter for the 3DS, so the thing you have to worry about is reliability and the price per GB. San Disk and Lexar make reliable SD cards, so you don't really have to worry about reliability.

Are you going to go full digital? If you are, then I guess a 32GB card may be worth it, if not, then I would say save money and go for this 16GB card: SanDisk Extreme 16 GB SDHC Class 10

Cheaper than the second one and is 16GB.

My bad. It was supposed to be a 16gb SD card and not 32gb. I made a mistake linking it.

No, I'm not. I'm more of a cart user but sometimes I feel like going digital for some games(like MK7 & HM:ANB). So the best option for me is going to SanDisk 16gb SD since the speed of the card doesn't matter on 3DS?

Follow-up question: How about for dslr? Is Lexar the best option than SanDisk?

DaBoss

My bad. It was supposed to be a 16gb SD card and not 32gb. I made a mistake linking it.

No, I'm not. I'm more of a cart user but sometimes I feel like going digital for some games(like MK7 & HM:ANB). So the best option for me is going to SanDisk 16gb SD since the speed of the card doesn't matter on 3DS?

Follow-up question: How about for dslr? Is Lexar the best option than SanDisk?

Yea, the 16GB card would be good if you are going to get games digitally occasionally.

For cameras, I'm pretty sure they would benefit from a better read/write speed. It would also be faster to transfer videos/images to your computer.

isny

napkin dispenser
Well this is lame, I walked into my local game store with wanting to pre-order tomb raider collectors edition but it wasn't available for pre-order anymore. I really wanted it :(. I'll have to find one second hand after it releases now.... *sigh*

I ended up buying the collectors edition of that new metal gear game. It came with a sword in a bottle that lights up. It sound weird I know, but its pretty awesome to look at. I went back and bought another to flip on ebay. It's selling for quite a bit on the second hand market for some reason.

Stealth brag post? I feel like you came from RFD? lol

With the sound of it, he must have paid good money for those things while a lot of us here got it for 39.99$ with that Futureshop error. I do not think that there is anything to brag about here(if it was what he was doing)!

Lol ended up flipping the second to my friend(for what I paid, I ain't into raising aftermarket prices). And wasn't meant to be a brag post. Still sad about tomb raider

With the sound of it, he must have paid good money for those things while a lot of us here got it for 39.99$ with that Futureshop error. I do not think that there is anything to brag about here(if it was what he was doing)!

Yea I wasn't trying to brag.

Lexxism

Yea, the 16GB card would be good if you are going to get games digitally occasionally.

For cameras, I'm pretty sure they would benefit from a better read/write speed. It would also be faster to transfer videos/images to your computer.

Thank you for answering. I can't find any good deals near my local store. I always missed the sales on BB/FS or they don't have any stock left lol.

DaBoss

Thank you for answering. I can't find any good deals near my local store. I always missed the sales on BB/FS or they don't have any stock left lol.

That sucks, but is it actually cheaper to order from Amazon.com? I would assume shipping costs would be a lot, or do you have a US shipping address? I seen on a Best Buy flyer that they have a PNY 16GB Class 10 card for $24.99 and that is how much the other card costs on Amazon.ca.

Lexxism

That sucks, but is it actually cheaper to order from Amazon.com? I would assume shipping costs would be a lot, or do you have a US shipping address? I seen on a Best Buy flyer that they have a PNY 16GB Class 10 card for $24.99 and that is how much the other card costs on Amazon.ca.

I think so? Like the item I bought last week. It was a battery for my samsung phone. It was on sale for $34 from $50($16 cheaper). I added $6 for shipping and luckily didn't get hit any duty tax(or maybe it was just late lol).

Also, I don't really remember if the last sale was SanDisk Extreme or Ultra but it was at 19.99(but I think it was Ultra). The shipping fee is $8.06. So that makes it a total of $26.36. But it's quite weird that you don't need to pay any import fees deposit like with Lexar SD. Sometimes I wonder how do they charge this import fees.

Mikey Jr.

Quoting again because I'm hoping someone has an answer.

L Thammy

My mother's gotten bored of Canadian NetFlix. How do I get my parents set up with the American one? Do I tell them to go NetFlix or Hulu?

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
My mother's gotten bored of Canadian NetFlix. How do I get my parents set up with the American one? Do I tell them to go NetFlix or Hulu?
Didn't know switching to US Netflix was so easy. Switched a couple DNS settings on my PS3 and voila.

Input these settings on whatever devices:

Link

Beast Wars, South Park, King of the Hill etc. So many movies. A lot of WWF stuff too. Good WWF stuff and not too much Cena era garbage.

Works fine on my Nexus 4, PS3, Wii and my friends 360.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Are methods to use American Netflix in Canada illegal?

VPN's aren't technically illegal, so I'd assume not. There's a simple chrome extension to use, too, so... you should be in the clear.

EDIT: See below for the extension I meant. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom