• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

kennah

Haha. Wow. During that whole conversation last night I was setting up a Boxee for American content. Could only get Netflix working though, nothing else.

does anyone here remember last years Future shop's e3 deal? They were offering pre-order 3 and get one for free!?

Well they cancelled my tomb raider shippment....wtf?

QSRKFVP.jpg

anyone else getting this?

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I'm surprised people are still discovering Media Hint. This is the 3rd or 4th time it's been mentioned in this thread. People need to pay more attention. :p

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Is there any chance that Netflix might block Media Hint or that "DNS" trick in the future? I'd re-subscribe right now if I can access the US content, but I don't feel like doing it if they could block it tomorrow (as I was really disappointed by the Canada offerings when I tried Netflix last year).

Oh, and by the way, hello CanadaGAF! I'm glad to be able to post here after lurking for months (and benefiting from the deals!).

evanmisha

Might be a bit of a crapshoot, but is anyone in Toronto getting a ZombiU bundle maybe interested in trading their Nintendo Land download code for my physical copy?

Offer still stands. I'll come to you, anywhere in the GTA.
Anywhere in Canada, even, if you don't mind waiting for shipping.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Is there any chance that Netflix might block Media Hint or that "DNS" trick in the future? I'd re-subscribe right now if I can access the US content, but I don't feel like doing it if they could block it tomorrow (as I was really disappointed by the Canada offerings when I tried Netflix last year).

Oh, and by the way, hello CanadaGAF! I'm glad to be able to post here after lurking for months (and benefiting from the deals!).
Isn't Netflix month to month anyway? If it's ever blocked in the future then you could just cancel and just lose the rest of that month.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Isn't Netflix month to month anyway? If it's ever blocked in the future then you could just cancel and just lose the rest of that month.

Oh, you're right. For some reason, I assumed it was a long-term subscription. Guess I'll watch some american Netflix tonight then! Thanks.

btkadams

Oh, you're right. For some reason, I assumed it was a long-term subscription. Guess I'll watch some american Netflix tonight then! Thanks.

do you have to have router access to change the dns settings for the ps3 to do this? my bf asked me to do it for him and i really don't want to have to deal with his router lol.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
do you have to have router access to change the dns settings for the ps3 to do this? my bf asked me to do it for him and i really don't want to have to deal with his router lol.

If you look at the video posted by Liquidus, you really just change the DNS in the console's setting, nothing to change on the router. I didn't do it yet so I can't confirm personally, but many users confirmed that just doing that works.

MDSLKTR

Didn't know switching to US Netflix was so easy. Switched a couple DNS settings on my PS3 and voila.

Input these settings on whatever devices:

Link

Beast Wars, South Park, King of the Hill etc. So many movies. A lot of WWF stuff too. Good WWF stuff and not too much Cena era garbage.

Works fine on my Nexus 4, PS3, Wii and my friends 360.

I don't want to end up with two different netflix lol, so to access US netflix do I only need to do those steps?

1- Change DNS settings on the ps3.
2- Get a membership on US netflix (with a canadian address on my cc?).

btkadams

I don't want to end up with two different netflix lol, so to access US netflix do I only need to do those steps?

you don't need an american netflix account. you just need a netflix account. when i change my browser IP to an american IP, it switches my account to american.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Don't bother with all that. You want US Netflix? Just install mediahint onto chrome and it'll work fine. No real hassle at all and it's faster than mucking with DNS or going through a proxy.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid

You just need a Netflix account as already mentioned. I have a Canadian account with a Canadian address/billing.

No_Style

Oh yeah. My PC retail version was cancelled awhile ago but I didn't think much of it at the time because I wanted to get it for cheaper. I missed the announcement of no physical PC release.

Anywho, I'm giving away a copy of Metal Gear Rising (360). Details here.

If you're on Twitter, please use native RT! That's the only way to register your submission in the RT list.

DJ_Lae

Ended up canceling my $40 360 Tomb Raider preorder from last year for a $36 PC preorder. Really it would be silly of me not to given my new computer.

Future Shop's site also claimed there were copies of Fire Emblem in stock at Edmonton north, so I reserved one. Guess we'll see if I did it in time, though their site was borked when I did it as searching Fire Emblem sent me directly to Sodastream.

If it is Northgate, I'm not looking forward to going back there. I picked up a new printer over the weekend and it was staffed by the most useless people there. I know they all work in their isolated departments but no one would help with a price question, no one was even working in the PC and accessory department, period. I assume the group of four employees chatting over in the cell section were supposed to be doing something useful but that's probably expecting too much of someone working there. I ended up having to just haul the laser printer over to customer service, which was annoying. It was like being in a Best Buy.

So jealous. I have to wait until after lunch before I can pick mine up.

And that's assuming they've actually reserved it. I'm half expecting to drive all the way over there and they've screwed up somehow.

Did you get a confirmation e-mail? If so, you just have to hope the person picking the game knows how to read.......not like when I reserved MvC3 special edition and they confirmed it but had actually grabbed the regular edition =/

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone know where I could find a cheap USB hard drive for my Wii-U? The cheapest I found are 500gb ones for around $70, but I know that I will never use all that space with demos and eShop games (as I plan to stay with discs for retail games).

Any place where I could find a small HDD (I'm sure something between 100 and 250gb would be enough) for as cheap as possible? 500gb seems to be the smallest at places like Futureshop and Staples.

Also, the new Hitman is already $25 on Playasia. I haven't really followed the game, but it seems like a good deal.

iiicon

Any deals on the Show for PS3? I saw that Sony are running another PSN promotion and the Show will be up on PSN next week, but I'm not sure if I want to buy a sports game without the ability to trade it in for the next version in a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom