• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
I was in Walmart the other day looking for deals and saw Sin & Punishment 2 priced at $69.99. Then I saw Metroid Other M for $79.99.

What is the deal with those two titles prices? Are they not being made anymore? I got S & P for 29.99 at future schlock.

Sin and Punishment 2 have been in the clearance bin at my Walmart for $10 for a while.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

irxgbKQRUaTFl.jpg

I think..

edit: Apparently not!

krae_man

Looks like I'm getting God of War a day late like I did Tomb Raider. Fun.

I still haven't finished Tomb Raider so I guess it's all good.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
For those that can't get it to load:

ibhhgEPnTTBsOx.png

So, yes. Canada is quite terrible, although the CRTC believes we have world class internet infrastructure and service.

DJ_Lae

Holy crap that's sad.

I mean, I've been happy with Telus, and I get way faster than that average speed, but averages of less than 1Mbps for most of the providers? Ouch.

DJ_Lae

most of canada is rural..
if you're in a major city, the internet is speed is top tier (minus japan, korea, and fios)

That makes sense.

And would explain why Telus is higher, their network probably isn't as large so they don't have people out in the middle of nowhere with incredibly slow internet speeds pulling the average down.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
if you're in a major city, the internet is speed is top tier (minus japan, korea, and fios)

Even in the cities, we're just now catching up. 28/1 mbps was basically the ceiling for most, but thankfully we can now embrace our 150/10 mbps future. As it rolls out.. slowly.

I'm with Shaw and get an average of 70 mb/s in Edmonton. I think the rural communities bring the average down quite a bit.

It's a fair comparison to the US, who has an even larger rural / urban population split.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
At the low low price of >$100/month.

Well, having the option to pay for it is a start. Five years ago those speeds would have seemed like a pipe dream for the cost they're charging. It's not like most will benefit from 100mbps anyway, so they can stick with the lower speeds.

Slightly off topic: My in laws are hilarious, in that they refuse to budge from their 25gb cap with Rogers, even though they come up against the cap (frequently going over) every money. The last week of the cycle is basically 'can't use the internet, we're at the limit' ever month. All to save few dollars it would take to go up to the next tier.

krae_man

Well, having the option to pay for it is a start. Five years ago those speeds would have seemed like a pipe dream for the cost they're charging. It's not like most will benefit from 100mbps anyway, so they can stick with the lower speeds.

Slightly off topic: My in laws are hilarious, in that they refuse to budge from their 25gb cap with Rogers, even though they come up against the cap (frequently going over) every money. The last week of the cycle is basically 'can't use the internet, we're at the limit' ever month. All to save few dollars it would take to go up to the next tier.

The new speeds should be replacing the top tier and everything else moves up one. They shouldn't be constantly creating more expensive tiers.

Moonlight

Banned
I live in Vancouver, and my experience with internet providers has involved high prices, low bandwidth caps, inconsistent service/coverage and very far from spectacular speeds. It certainly doesn't feel top-tier.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
The new speeds should be replacing the top tier and everything else moves up one. They shouldn't be constantly creating more expensive tiers.

Too logical.

We live in a country where politicians buy into Bell's "data is a resource akin oil and water" and should be regulated, capped and handed out at premium prices. Those were some great CRTC meetings when Bell kept hammering that home.

I would be much happier with a more reasonable pricing structure, but I don't expect it. I'm just happy they're offering better speeds right now. One battle at a time.

jred2k

Most of Canada's population(80% in 2006) is in the cities. Link

Our internet has been stagnant for the last decade

That list of speeds would be interesting to see if they showed only 50,000+ population versus the whole country. I live in a town of 1500 and am not more than 15km away from places that can't get cellular reception or anything above dial-up. Its annoying, but there is still a large percentage of this country where it isn't economically viable to have a fast infrastructure. It also doesn't help that most people in this area are old and don't give a shit as long as they can load pictures of their grandkids on Facebook.

iphys

I think this is the average for how fast people are streaming from Netflix, not necessarily the average speed that people could be streaming at if they were maxing out their Internet connections. Movies are only encoded at certain bitrates, so people will tend to stream at a lower bitrate than their maximum possible, and people with really fast Internet will easily stream the highest bitrate Netflix offers. Plus in Canada we've had the option to limit our bitrate with Netflix, and I'm not sure if Netflix ever got around to offering that option elsewhere.

This is ridiculous, most Europe are ages ahead of us in terms of both speeds and prices.
Still you have to blame our small population a bit here, the cost per capita has to be higher than the states for example.

SickBoy

I think this is the average for how fast people are streaming from Netflix, not necessarily the average speed that people could be streaming at if they were maxing out their Internet connections. Movies are only encoded at certain bitrates, so people will tend to stream at a lower bitrate than their maximum possible, and people with really fast Internet will easily stream the highest bitrate Netflix offers. Plus in Canada we've had the option to limit our bitrate with Netflix, and I'm not sure if Netflix ever got around to offering that option elsewhere.

I'm sure this has a lot to do with it... on all fronts. I'm a former Shaw user, now with Telus. I find Telus generally faster -- but more importantly more consistent in terms of speed. Surely Shaw is faster on its higher-rate plans.

Doesn't surprise me that the eastern ISPs, which seem to have firmer bandwidth restrictions see slower rates, either, as I presume users are limiting bitrates.

Regarding the urban/rural split, I dunno... not like Telus isn't serving smaller communities in B.C./Alberta/Sask.

Toronto GAF: Zellers at Lawrence West and Dundas West are clearing out. Didn't buy any games (gotta save up) but I did see some good stuff at Lawrence West including:

Sin & Punishment: Star Successor
Metroid: Other M (define good XD)
SSX Blur
Nintendogs DS: Chihuahua and Dalmation and Friends
Action Replay for GC
Rabbids Go Home
Glory of Heracles
No More Heroes 2
Odama GC
Crush 3D

That's what caught my eye, all are 60% off, Nintendogs were down from $40 at $15. Really hoped they had Lab and Friends.

SSX Blur I'm very tempted, I don't have my Wii on me but it'd be good to store away for when I get it back, I've been really wanting it, looked in good enough shape (shrink-warped with the bilingual manual, but the sleeve looked perfect, I might go tomorrow for it).

Orca

Looking for a TV to mount on the wall, dedicated to gaming and some movie watching. What's good these days in the 40-50" range? I figured I'd hit Future Shop and some other places this weekend to get something.

L Thammy

GRRRR I went to EB and was told they didn't even have the Meloetta distribution cards yet. RAGE

btw, Castlevania MoF is indeed $14 at EB. Horse poop. I don't know what to do now, guess I'll just return it. $20 is an okay price, but there's too much else to play right now and I know I won't play this. The game will probably bomba anyhow.

If it makes you feel any better, you convinced me to order a copy with that EB trade-in deal.

Fularu

Banned
Any good deal on MS points cards? I remember someone posting a link a while ago for cheap US cards and that they were working with canadian accounts

canonj

That's exactly why the numbers are so low. When you sign up for Netflix, the default quality setting is set on the lowest, so unless you change it you'll only be using 300MB per hour of viewing. If everyone switched to the highest setting, which uses something like 2.3GB per hour, the Mb/s numbers would of course be a lot higher for each ISP. But until we no longer have usage caps, I don't see that changing.

frequency

God of War Ascension is coming today. I have no interest at all in the game but pre-ordered because E3 or something. I was hoping to gift it but no one seems interested so I'll probably just return it.

I was planning to also return Tomb Raider. But I'm starting to think maybe I should keep it. I didn't want anything to do with it because of the death scenes I saw on Conan. Watching someone slowly die gives me nightmares. Has anyone here played the game? Is it as bad as that scene in Conan's "review"?

Also, there's a small sale with P4 Golden ($33.79)
http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B007W8S2MG/

I think someone was asking about where to find the game in this thread not too long ago?

I was planning to also return Tomb Raider. But I'm starting to think maybe I should keep it. I didn't want anything to do with it because of the death scenes I saw on Conan. Watching someone slowly die gives me nightmares. Has anyone here played the game? Is it as bad as that scene in Conan's "review"?

If you like the Uncharted games, you will love Tomb Raider. But yea, there are some violent scenes in this game, it's not a comedy like Uncharted. So if you don't like violence, stay away.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Like was said, TR is extremely violent. You can stealth kill people by burying your pick axe into their skull or shooting someone in the face with your shotgun when they're stunned.

Ondore

So the best price I've seen this week for a 3DSXL is $180 (Shoppers), and I'm probably going to take the plunge on Friday. Is that the best I'm going to do, or should I hold out until the flyers come out?

Kreven

So the best price I've seen this week for a 3DSXL is $180 (Shoppers), and I'm probably going to take the plunge on Friday. Is that the best I'm going to do, or should I hold out until the flyers come out?

You just missed Walmart's sale for 3DS XL last week @ $159. I'm sure there will be more sales like this in the coming weeks.

Quadratic

The perk is being able to use your optimum points to offset the cost. Are you getting one in time for Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate? Otherwise I would wait for a redemption day.

DaBoss

You should buy it, but keep it unopened so you can return it if there is a new deal for the upcoming week.

iphys

They just did a redemption event on the weekend so there probably won't be another for a couple months. If you're not doing a $170 redemption for it though, there is a coupon to get 18500 bonus points when you spend $75 tomorrow. It's posted on the Smartcanucks.ca forum if you haven't signed up for the SDM e-mails.

zeitgeist

This kinda goes back a page but SDM having Mario Tennis for $20: Was that at the same time OOT was $20 because I have been trying to hunt it down and I finally found one but it rang up at $39.99.
Anyone know if it was just temporary or if some stores just have different clearance stuff?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom