• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kazerei

Banned
Not necessarily gaming related, but can anyone recommend me a good ultrabook? I'd be using it primarily for MS Word and iTunes, so power is much less important than weight, size, and battery life. Touch screen would be preferable. Budget is ~$800.

I heard ASUS is good, but other than FS/BB, I'm not sure where to look.

Try Newegg, Canada Computers and NCIX. The latter two have some retail locations.

schlew

It seems like my Best Buy received Lego City Undercover, my concern is that due to their flyer, they won't sell it until Wednesday. Hopefully I can persuade them if needed.

zroid

Banned
best buy never breaks streetdate, in my experience.

Weelll, in this case it's not technically the street date, as the game was supposed to release today, but retailers expected their copies to arrive by Wednesday. Just depends whether the store in question will be knowledgeable about this.

frequency

So my Wii U from Dell (thanks again gaboumafou) arrived. I ordered on Friday. That was really fast. Dell never even sent me an email to say it shipped.

Lego City Undercover came too.

Mupod

WHAAAT?!?! Which Best Buy?

Not best buy of course, but Future Shop always sends me games at the very latest by the Friday before release date. So I always get them Monday. My 3DS MH3U is waiting in my mailbox right now.

I live in Northern Ontario so maybe they figure they need to send things early.

Takuan

Can anyone recommend a shop in the GTA to buy a TV? I assume I should avoid big box stores like the plague when it comes to actually buying whichever display I decide on.

Recommendations are welcome, with the understanding that plasma is simply not an option. Will be at least attempting to hook the PC up to it for dat comfy couch gaming experience.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Can anyone recommend a shop in the GTA to buy a TV? I assume I should avoid big box stores like the plague when it comes to actually buying whichever display I decide on.

Recommendations are welcome, with the understanding that plasma is simply not an option. Will be at least attempting to hook the PC up to it for dat comfy couch gaming experience.

Right now I'm looking at the Sony KDL55HS850. Not sure why you're avoiding BB or FS though. Never had an issue with them when I tell them what I want.

theRizzle

You are likely to find the best price at FS or BB because they sell more TV's than anyone else and can get them for cheaper.

However, Amazon is worth a look too, and they will ship to you for free if that matters at all. I think FS & BB have a $50-$60 scheduled delivery when you buy a television from them. Not 100% sure though.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
I was just in a Future Shop store this morning and they had LCU copies on the shelves

Hope I'll be able to get it at my local FS tonight. Their website still shows that they'll only sell it on the 20th. This launch is a mess, like the Fire Emblem Awakening one. I wonder what's going on with Nintendo...

namDa65

Anybody used videogamesplus.ca? How do they ship? Wanting to get asura's wrath. Debating between $19.99 + 2.99 shipping + maybe tax, to $29.99 + tax at ebgames but get the game right away

btkadams

Anybody used videogamesplus.ca? How do they ship? Wanting to get asura's wrath. Debating between $19.99 + 2.99 shipping + maybe tax, to $29.99 + tax at ebgames but get the game right away
videogamesplus.ca said:
Canadian Shipping rates for a regular software item (ie PS3 videogame title) is $2.99 Canadian anywhere in Canada. Higher weighing items are a little more you can see the exact cost before completing checkout. Please contact shipping@videogamesplus.ca if you need quick shipping via Canada Post or Fed Ex for a quote to your location.
Looks like Canada Post or FedEx. I actually ordered something last Friday and it is processing, so I should know what is shipping through soon.

It also says you can do FedEx overnight shipping too btw.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member

If you do go bb or fs, haggle like crazy and don't take the insurance no matter what. Also an FYI that their commission is like 50 to 100% on those 'exclusive' TVs they have so don't feel bad giving it to them.

A 2000 dollar TV is like 900 for them.

Takuan

You are likely to find the best price at FS or BB because they sell more TV's than anyone else and can get them for cheaper.

However, Amazon is worth a look too, and they will ship to you for free if that matters at all. I think FS & BB have a $50-$60 scheduled delivery when you buy a television from them. Not 100% sure though.

Right now I'm looking at the Sony KDL55HS850. Not sure why you're avoiding BB or FS though. Never had an issue with them when I tell them what I want.

Thanks for the replies, brosephs. I actually figured there'd be some obscure shops out there willing to cut a deal if I paid "straight-cash, homey" style. I wish I could find a stand-out "dumb" TV without 3D features, but those don't seem to be on the market anymore.

Looking at this baby:
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product...spx?path=94bce80bae02edb077832d08dcdb95d3en02

Maybe I can find a place willing to do $1800 all-in...

If you do go bb or fs, haggle like crazy and don't take the insurance no matter what. Also an FYI that their commission is like 50 to 100% on those 'exclusive' TVs they have so don't feel bad giving it to them.

A 2000 dollar TV is like 900 for them.
I know not to take warranty/insurance, but I didn't know haggling was at all possible. I've heard that they offer discounts on warrantys or throw-ins if you purchase one, but I've never heard of them taking anything off the advertised price unless it's a floor model.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I was just in a Future Shop store this morning and they had LCU copies on the shelves

WalMart and TRU at Dufferin Mall both had copies of LEGO City out. No MonHan to be seen.

Also an odd thing of note; Looks like TRU is clearing out their Pokemon toys. At the Dufferin Mall location, it's basically been reduced to small end cap with clearance sign over it.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I know not to take warranty/insurance, but I didn't know haggling was at all possible. I've heard that they offer discounts on warrantys or throw-ins if you purchase one, but I've never heard of them taking anything off the advertised price unless it's a floor model.
It is to a degree. I mean, don't expect a massive discount; what they like to do is give you fluff like accessories instead. Dem Monster Cables at those monster mark ups...

Still you could probably ding a few hundred off if you compare and quote and do your homework.

Takuan

It is to a degree. I mean, don't expect a massive discount; what they like to do is give you fluff like accessories instead. Dem Monster Cables at those monster mark ups...

Still you could probably ding a few hundred off if you compare and quote and do your homework.

A few hundred sounds like a massive discount to me. I always thought the margin on TVs was very low (single digit percentages for most). At any rate, I'll try looking around. There really aren't any huge competitors to Best Buy/FS here in Canadia. Thanks for the advice.

Ondore

That is not hard in the least.

---

Silly question: If I buy a 3DSXL on a 20x points day at Shoppers, what does that translate to? Thinking of grabbing an XL and then using the points from that to get money off a WiiU.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Tempting...

Not so much. They basically had nothing left. Some stuffed Woobats and ugly looking Pokemon+ball toys. Better off heading to Silver Snail, they were having a 30-50% off sale for everything in the store (Pokemon toys would hit the 30% mark).

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Not so much. They basically had nothing left. Some stuffed Woobats and ugly looking Pokemon+ball toys. Better off heading to Silver Snail, they were having a 30-50% off sale for everything in the store (Pokemon toys would hit the 30% mark).
How many poke toys do you even have... -_-

zroid

Banned
Surprisingly few, although I wish I had a Tepig plushie. Mario toys on the other hand..

Tepig vs. the Snivy Squad!

Yot3gl.jpg

A friend got me that Tepig from a Pokemon Center in Tokyo

Lexxism

I got so pissed that I did not have one in Castlevania 2 weeks ago that I did not open this one yet, I have to study for some Japanese exam and I don't want to be mad! =/

I see. I remember that there's someone who mentioned that it don't have any code inside. I was thinking if your copy also don't have one.

Okamid3n

---

Silly question: If I buy a 3DSXL on a 20x points day at Shoppers, what does that translate to? Thinking of grabbing an XL and then using the points from that to get money off a WiiU.

Well, 250$ gives you 50 000 points in 20x event, which is the amount it takes to get a 85$ card. Or 100$ if you wait for a redemption event to redeem your points. That's what I did when I got a PS3 for 250$.

I don't remember how much a 3DS costs at shoppers, but let's say its 180$. That'd give you 36 000 points, just short of 38 000, which gives you 60$.

zeitgeist

---

Unfortunately, you just missed the 3DSXL for 179.99 st SDM. Even the Mario Kart bundle was 180.00.

I still think it is worth it though for the 20x points if one of those days come up soon.

Jachaos

Anyone know if Future Shop/Best Buy got these cables in store usually ? There's no info so not sure what to make of that. I want to get one for my external hard drive to use with my Wii U but they won't ship to Québec.

A few hundred sounds like a massive discount to me. I always thought the margin on TVs was very low (single digit percentages for most). At any rate, I'll try looking around. There really aren't any huge competitors to Best Buy/FS here in Canadia. Thanks for the advice.

So I sold TV's at Best Buy over the summer when I was home from university and I can tell you what I learned, so first off on a 55 inch tv the markup isn't as huge as some people believe, sometimes it's like $30 (mostly on sony TVs, the ones I sold always had no markup or tvs that have been out for a bit and the price has been lowered over time) and on the higher end it can be $500 max (on the highest end 55 inch tv we sold), 80% of the time it's $100-$200. Samsung 55inch smart tvs are decent and have a $200 markup typically.

My store would not give a discount if all you were buying were products and since the staff is non-commission it doesn't really make a difference to the staff if you say you'll only buy if you can get a deal but it also means that they're willing to discount more since it won't effect their paycheque. Realistically you'll only get a discount from best buy if you were going to buy the service plan, or were looking to get something done with geek squad (we sometimes just throw geek squad services in for free if the tv had a decent markup and we needed to bring more geek squad business in), otherwise with just products you have a 1% chance of geting a cable thrown in at most.

If you were getting a service and you wanted a discount, ask for it upfront and make a lowball offer, the more products you are buying the larger discount you could get on services.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
So I sold TV's at Best Buy over the summer when I was home from university and I can tell you what I learned, so first off on a 55 inch tv the markup isn't as huge as some people believe, sometimes it's like $30 (mostly on sony TVs, the ones I sold always had no markup or tvs that have been out for a bit and the price has been lowered over time) and on the higher end it can be $500 max (on the highest end tv we sold), 80% of the time it's $100-$200. Samsung 55inch smart tvs are decent and have a $200 markup typically.

My store would not give a discount if all you were buying were products and since the staff is non-commission it doesn't really make a difference to the staff if you say you'll only buy if you can get a deal but it also means that they're willing to discount more since it won't effect their paycheque. Realistically you'll only get a discount from best buy if you were going to buy the service plan, or were looking to get something done with geek squad (we sometimes just throw geek squad services in for free if the tv had a decent markup and we needed to bring more geek squad business in), otherwise with just products you have a 1% chance of geting a cable thrown in at most.

If you were getting a service and you wanted a discount, ask for it upfront and make a lowball offer, the more products you are buying the larger discount you could get on services.
Opposite of what my cousin said who worked for future shop. He was the one who told me about the mark ups. though he did specify that those were for 'exclusive' TVs. And the two TVs I did buy, they sure didn't mind discounting but still bumped the price up for delivery and insurance and stupid cables and nonsense. So, a 2000 TV still cost me something like 1800 but with the stupid insurance 200 and cables 100 added in.

Still, you can always haggle or wait for a sale.

Also brought up one time where he sold TVs to a school district and the commission on that was insane.

Dude made 50 k selling TVs...and he admitted he wasn't even good at it.

iphys

---

Assuming it's $199.99, you'd get 39,800 points. You'd probably be better off buying the Wii U on a 20x day as well though, so that you can earn points on the portion you spend after the redemption. (But in that case I'd probably buy the Wii U first to get 69800 points, and then redeem 50,000 to get $85 off the XL while earning back 22800 points on the XL at the same time, and then use the remaining points to redeem for a $60 game at same point.)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Opposite of what my cousin said who worked for future shop. He was the one who told me about the mark ups. though he did specify that those were for 'exclusive' TVs. And the two TVs I did buy, they sure didn't mind discounting but still bumped the price up for delivery and insurance and stupid cables and nonsense. So, a 2000 TV still cost me something like 1800 but with the stupid insurance 200 and cables 100 added in.

Still, you can always haggle or wait for a sale.

Also brought up one time where he sold TVs to a school district and the commission on that was insane.

Dude made 50 k selling TVs...and he admitted he wasn't even good at it.

Even though they're the same company, for whatever reason FS is still commission based while they claim that BB is not commission based.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom