• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

btkadams

does anyone know the best way to acquire a reliable dumbphone cheaply in canada, without a contract? any recommendations of a phone?

my bf has an 82 year old friend who needs a new cell phone and he doesn't want to sign a contract. it's not a matter of him wanting a fancy one. he needs it to text and call, and be easy to use. he only needs a new one because his other one broke.

does anyone know the best way to acquire a reliable dumbphone cheaply in canada, without a contract? any recommendations of a phone?

my bf has an 82 year old friend who needs a new cell phone and he doesn't want to sign a contract. it's not a matter of him wanting a fancy one. he needs it to text and call, and be easy to use. he only needs a new one because his other one broke.

I'd keep check out the phones at Super Stores (Even better if you get one on a tax free day), they have a decent amount of cheap phones. Mine has survived quite a few drops.

Your best bet is to buy a decent prepaid phone and unlock it as necessary. Prepaid phones all work on the postpaid version of the carrier network. I got my girlfriend's mom a nice littke htc for 50 bucks. Did the trick.

btkadams

Your best bet is to buy a decent prepaid phone and unlock it as necessary. Prepaid phones all work on the postpaid version of the carrier network. I got my girlfriend's mom a nice littke htc for 50 bucks. Did the trick.

does a prepaid phone have to function differently than a regular one, or could he just take it to rogers and get a cheap monthly plan as if he had bought a contract phone outright?

i'm sorry if that's the dumbest question ever.
I'd keep check out the phones at Super Stores (Even better if you get one on a tax free day), they have a decent amount of cheap phones. Mine has survived quite a few drops.

i wonder if there is one coming up? he needs it pretty quickly.

I think that would depend if you have proof of it or it shows on your online receipt. I had this happen to me when I preordered Hakuoki: Warriors of Shinsengumi (though for a much smaller reward zone points). When I emailed them, they gave me a standard paragraph about how Best Buy has the right to change policies without notifying their customers. I didn't have proof of it, though, so I think the safest call would be to start capping these reward zone perks when we buy it...

Wow it is really legal to do such practice? Get us to pre-order there by telling us that we get a 10$ off reward certificate and a few days before release, they remove it without telling us a word about it? That seems to be an extremely shady thing to do...

wingz

Wow it is really legal to do such practice? Get us to pre-order there by telling us that we get a 10$ off reward certificate and a few days before release, they remove it without telling us a word about it? That seems to be an extremely shady thing to do...

I think if you call them it would be much easier to deal with. I did it once for an order I forgot to put my reward zone number in, had no trouble at all getting the request fulfilled.

I think if you call them it would be much easier to deal with. I did it once for an order I forgot to put my reward zone number in, had no trouble at all getting the request fulfilled.

Yea I will call them if it goes bad. My online order page does not mention anything about the promo (but it never does), but I have a gamer club e-mail here with the promo on it so that can serve as a proof. 800RZ for this represents 25% off the game, I can't let that go in a busy release month such as this march!

lfc11

Neo Member
I'd say this is for all the Staples stores since the OP of the CAG thread bought it in Montreal and another CAG member bought it in Vancouver.
Hmm went to Staples in Vancouver near UBC and the price was normal. Should I go again and have the cashier scan it?

Lurkee

Neo Member
does a prepaid phone have to function differently than a regular one, or could he just take it to rogers and get a cheap monthly plan as if he had bought a contract phone outright?

i wonder if there is one coming up? he needs it pretty quickly.

If your boyfriend is just looking for a quick replacement, and doesn't need/want a smartphone, this might be an option:

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/prod...spx?path=b693916bf2f36d099cff109f8ebd4fecen02

It's $10, and I think you can just cancel the Chatr account right away. Also, this is one of the best dumbphones out there. And since it's Chatr-branded, it'll be sure to work with Rogers, so you won't need to worry about unlocking it or anything.

krae_man

If your boyfriend is just looking for a quick replacement, and doesn't need/want a smartphone, this might be an option:

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/prod...spx?path=b693916bf2f36d099cff109f8ebd4fecen02

It's $10, and I think you can just cancel the Chatr account right away. Also, this is one of the best dumbphones out there. And since it's Chatr-branded, it'll be sure to work with Rogers, so you won't need to worry about unlocking it or anything.

Holy crap, I had that phone for like 2 years. Highly recomended. It's amazing. Well worth $10.

Prepaids can work on monthly plans or topping up balances. Phones are locked to carriers only, not locked to prepaid or postpaid. Just find something cheap they like that works on the carrier they want.

How much calling will this 82 year old be doing? 7-11 Speakout prepaid balances are good for 365 regardless of the topup amount so if this person does hardly any calling a $10 top up could last a full year for example.

Sora_N

Atlus sent an email, P4 Golden is $10 off for 2 weeks so it'll be $29.99. Would it go any cheaper? I don't have a Vita yet lol, but I'm tempted...

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Atlus sent an email, P4 Golden is $10 off for 2 weeks so it'll be $29.99. Would it go any cheaper? I don't have a Vita yet lol, but I'm tempted...
Well, I suppose if you are also buying something else, you can get 10 dollars off if you can hit 50 bucks.

btkadams

so he can order this and take it to a rogers store to set it up?

also, sold out :(
Holy crap, I had that phone for like 2 years. Highly recomended. It's amazing. Well worth $10.

Prepaids can work on monthly plans or topping up balances. Phones are locked to carriers only, not locked to prepaid or postpaid. Just find something cheap they like that works on the carrier they want.

How much calling will this 82 year old be doing? 7-11 Speakout prepaid balances are good for 365 regardless of the topup amount so if this person does hardly any calling a $10 top up could last a full year for example.
he actually runs a business, so he uses the phone a lot. he's so active for an 82 year old; it's crazy! he has one of those bars hanging from his roof in his bedroom and does pullups everyday. good to know about the prepaid though. thanks!

zeitgeist

Wasn't able to find a Paper Mario Sticker Star in the GTA or Hamilton.

On the plus side, I finally found OOT for $20 at a Shoppers and then also saw Gears of War 3 and Halo Anniversary for $20 too.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Flyers from RFD.

Future Shop:

Trade 2 selected games for a $60 Gift Card
Buy one of this week's release and get $10 off any $19.99+ game in April
Bioshock Infinite with free steelbook: $59.99
Bioshock Ultimate Rapture Edition: $29.99
Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon: $39.99
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: $39.99
New Super Mario Bros 2, Paper Mario Sticker Star or Mario Kart 7: $29.99 ($10 off)
Nintendo 3DS (not XL): $159.99 + Free $30 Gift Card
Pre-order Injustice Gods Among Us and get a free steelbook
250GB PS3 with Uncharted 3, Uncharted 2 and Dust 514: $269.99
PS3 New Owner's Kit: $49.99 ($20 off)
I-con Wii U Starter Kit: $14.99 ($5 off)
Nintendo Wii U Deluxe with free game (Scribblenauts): $349.99
Tiger Woods PGA Tour: $59.99
Sniper Elite V2: $29.99
Lego City Undercover with free Lego Figurine: $59.99
Army of Two The Devil's Cartel: $59.99
250GB Xbox 360 with one free game: $299.99 (choice of Halo 4, Gears of War Judgement, Tomb Raider or Hitman Absolution)
12 month Xbox Live Gold: $59.99
Buy Gears of War Judgment, Metal Gear Rising, Crysis 3, Tomb Raider, Forza Horizon or Halo 4 and get 12 month Xbox Live Gold for $47.99

Wal-Mart:

Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon: $38.83
Tiger Woods PGA Tour: $59.83
Bioshock Infinite: $59.83
Limited Edition Pikachu Nintendo 3DS XL: $199

Toys'r'us:

THE TWO DEALS BELOW ARE ONLY VALID FRIDAY MARCH 22th BETWEEN 8PM AND 9PM
Nintendo 3DS (not XL): $149.97 + Free $40 Gift Card
500GB PS3 God of War Ascension Legacy Bundle (Red PS3 + All 6 GoW games + SteelBook): $349 + Free $50 Gift Card

Buy One Get One 50% off any $19.99 games
Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon: $39.99
Nintendo Wii U 8GB with free game (Sing Party): $299.99
The Walking Dead Survival Instinct: $49.99

ahdurian

looking to get a 3DSXL
anyone know any good deals out?
I'm really tempted to get that Pikachu 3DS XL, since it's not the typical red or blue ones, but I rather see if I can get one for cheaper first

iphys

looking to get a 3DSXL
anyone know any good deals out?
I'm really tempted to get that Pikachu 3DS XL, since it's not the typical red or blue ones, but I rather see if I can get one for cheaper first

It will be $179.99 at Shoppers Drug Mart on Saturday, which will also earn you 35800 Optimum points for buying it during the 20x event on Saturday as long as you have an Optimum card or sign up for one at the time of purchase (it's free). If you spend another $10.01 at the same time, that would bring you to 38,000 points total, which you can use to redeem for $60 in merchandise.

Sora_N

heh, a month later I finally got credited the 800 points for pre-ordering MGR, after gnashing my teeth against Best Buy customer service for a while. The LE wasn't supposed to qualify, but I didn't technically pre-order the LE so I wasn't going to let that slip me by. $48-10 for the LE? I'll take it!

I didn't know the LE didn't count...I could use the 800 points, dammit.

Mikey Jr.

Hey guys, really sorry to bump with this stupid question that I KNOW how been answered before, but I am having a hard time finding an answer.

How do I get US Netflix? I know there is some DNS settings or something like that. I got unlimited internet finally, and the first thing I want to do is get US netflix.

Thanks guys.

isny

napkin dispenser
Hey guys, really sorry to bump with this stupid question that I KNOW how been answered before, but I am having a hard time finding an answer.

How do I get US Netflix? I know there is some DNS settings or something like that. I got unlimited internet finally, and the first thing I want to do is get US netflix.

Thanks guys.

On a PC? Mediahint.

Lexxism

An error occurred sending the visa data to our system. Please use another card or try again later. (0174)

I'm getting this error whenever I'm ordering online on BB. I won't get charge on this one, right? I already did it more than 5 times.

Does BB charge tax for a iTunes gift card?

I don't think BB charge tax on any prepaid cards. I bought a 3DS prepaid card and they didn't charge any tax on it.

Luigi87

Ugh, my Luigi's Mansion 2 pre-order I've had at Bestbuy.ca since 2011 won't go through, because it's on my old credit card I don't have. I keep trying to change it and keep getting an error has occurred >_<

iphys

Oh no, I had that problem for the longest time trying to change my payment info many times for a few of those 2011 pre-orders, and then one day it was magically fixed after many months, and I was able to change them. Probably your only hope at this point is to call them up and see if they can manually switch your payment info for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom