• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

zroid

Banned
Just a warning about Hyrule Historia, if you don't already have every Zelda game, this book will cause you to end up buying every Zelda game....so that $15 can snowball real fast. Luckily I had most of them already...now if they would only release the Oracle games on the N.A. E-shop, I would be set.

lol, I know the feeling. I got Minish Cap from the 3DS Ambassador program, so the only ones I'm missing now are the Oracles. May 30th can't come soon enough!

Astra

Just a warning about Hyrule Historia, if you don't already have every Zelda game, this book will cause you to end up buying every Zelda game....so that $15 can snowball real fast. Luckily I had most of them already...now if they would only release the Oracle games on the N.A. E-shop, I would be set.

Haha. I'm good there, I've never missed a Zelda game since '92 (not counting CD-i games).

Magnus

Why not order online and "ship to a store"?

Either that or Buy on Amazon.ca, it's only like $3 more including shipping.

Had a gift card to burn.

Thankfully, your suggestion is awesome, so I went ahead and did just that! It'll ship by May 20th to a store right near me, but I'm in no rush.

I hear the book's a real treat for even a semi-big fan of Zelda, like me. And I love game 'encyclopedias', so I'm eager to see what this one's like.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Quick

Banned
Just to add for anybody checking out sales at Chapters/Indigo.

Online prices do not equal in-store. So don't expect to get online pricing by walking in the store. They won't match it either.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Just to add for anybody checking out sales at Chapters/Indigo.

Online prices do not equal in-store. So don't expect to get online pricing by walking in the store. They won't match it either.

Yep. It makes no sense. To spite them, just ship your order to the store and pick it up there I guess. lol

What would people say is the better deal: regular 3DS + Starfox & Crosswords from Best Buy and Future Shop for $170, or 3DS XL from The Source for $159 (price-matched at FS for $155)?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
What would people say is the better deal: regular 3DS + Starfox & Crosswords from Best Buy and Future Shop for $170, or 3DS XL from The Source for $159 (price-matched at FS for $155)?

XL is a far better piece of hardware in all regards. It's so much more comfortable. I don't care about the larger screen one way, or the other.

On the games, StarFox and Crosswords have both been under $20. There's not much value there.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

The XL easily. Those games have no value, and the XL is a substantially better piece of hardware. Although, I'd probably consider waiting until after E3 just in case a new model is announced.

jred2k

Well I haven't played either of those games, but I love the large screen of my 3DS. I find the triggers much more comfortable as well.

If you got the 3DS XL before the 30th with LM: Dark Moon you could have had StarFox for free.

sikkinixx

So Amazon put the 16gb Vita memory card on sale to $50. I gather up my Best Buy reward certs and bestbuy gift card, ready to price match away... not one fucking store in the GVRD seems to have it in stock and you can't use the reward zone certs online... *le sigh*

Exr

Anybody know of any stores that have Deadly Premonition for PS3 locally in vancouver/burnaby? I didn't preorder and now I hate myself.

Jessicat

I know this doesn't really relate to gaming, but anyone know of any good deals in the GTA-area on cell phone data plans with the Samsung Note 2? I'm getting real damn tired of Bell [and my BB Torch], I was supposed to get my free upgrade this month, but now my upgrade date randomly got moved to June :/ I hear my options are limited to the big 3 for data, is that true? Because they all suck honestly x.x

krae_man

I know this doesn't really relate to gaming, but anyone know of any good deals in the GTA-area on cell phone data plans with the Samsung Note 2? I'm getting real damn tired of Bell [and my BB Torch], I was supposed to get my free upgrade this month, but now my upgrade date randomly got moved to June :/ I hear my options are limited to the big 3 for data, is that true? Because they all suck honestly x.x

Switch to Wind and either go for the $30 or $40 plan. Both have unlimited data(throttling after 5gb). The difference is the $40 plan has unlimited nation wide calling vs province wide, and unlimited Can/US text vs just Canada.

You will have to pay more for the phone upfront but you'll make that back in under a year compared to paying what $80+/month with the Big 3.

Data won't be as fast and you'll need to double check the coverage area so check those things out. Wind isn't for everyone but it's worth checking out.

nordique

Switch to Wind and either go for the $30 or $40 plan. Both have unlimited data(throttling after 5gb). The difference is the $40 plan has unlimited nation wide calling vs province wide, and unlimited Can/US text vs just Canada.

You will have to pay more for the phone upfront but you'll make that back in under a year compared to paying what $80+/month with the Big 3.

Data won't be as fast and you'll need to double check the coverage area so check those things out. Wind isn't for everyone but it's worth checking out.

Nice, thank you very much for this info

I am with Rogers and paying way too much in my mind for 500mo data (I am on an old Blackberry student data plan, using iphone). Why is data not as fast? (no 4G?)

So is WIND the best carrier to go? What is Canadian GAF consensus on best deals?

vulva

I am with Rogers and paying way too much in my mind for 500mo data (I am on an old Blackberry student data plan, using iphone). Why is data not as fast? (no 4G?)

So is WIND the best carrier to go? What is Canadian GAF consensus on best deals?

I've been with Wind for about a year now and have had no real issues. I only got throttled once, and it was when I was downloading a windows 7 ISO using my phone as a tether to avoid severe bandwidth on my home internet connection.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
WIND has only been improving with time for us. The few low coverage spots in the city (west of High Park where we live, and in Parkdale along Queen) seem to have been improving and data speed is fine for my browsing / tweeting needs while I'm out. Being on the $29 / unlimited everything plan is a really good value for me.

krae_man

Wind doesn't have an iPhone yet. Although Apple did just release a AWS iphone 5. At the moment you'll have to buy a iphone outright and unlock it.

Jessicat

Ah, I dunno if I can afford putting down for the full cost of a Note2 right now ._.; I don't really know, would I have to get it unlocked if I bought the phone separately?

I've been with Wind for about a year now and have had no real issues. I only got throttled once, and it was when I was downloading a windows 7 ISO using my phone as a tether to avoid severe bandwidth on my home internet connection.
WIND has only been improving with time for us. The few low coverage spots in the city (west of High Park where we live, and in Parkdale along Queen) seem to have been improving and data speed is fine for my browsing / tweeting needs while I'm out. Being on the $29 / unlimited everything plan is a really good value for me.
Good to know, I've read mixed opinions on Wind, so I wasn't so sure if it would be a good deal to me ^^; For the rare occasions I need to make/take a phone call, is that any good? I'm guessing the VM/CID/CD stuff and unlimited texting costs extra?

krae_man

$30 plan
Unlimited Province wide calling
Unlimited Canada wide Text
Unlimited Data(Throttling after 5gb)
Call control(Call display/forwarding etc)
Voice Mail $8/month extra
$200 phone subsidy

$40 plan
Unlimited Canada wide calling
Unlimited Canada/US wide Text
Unlimited Data(Throttling after 5gb)
Call control(Call display/forwarding etc)
Voice Mail $8/month extra
$300 phone subsidy

To bring a phone you already have, yes it would have to be unlocked and you also need to make sure it has the AWS Band(1700/2100).

Wind has Note 2's they are $400 with the $40 plan and $500 with the $30 plan.

isny

napkin dispenser
So Amazon put the 16gb Vita memory card on sale to $50. I gather up my Best Buy reward certs and bestbuy gift card, ready to price match away... not one fucking store in the GVRD seems to have it in stock and you can't use the reward zone certs online... *le sigh*

Buy online, return instore and rebuy using certs, OR, buy something using certs, return, get GC, go buy online.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
The XL easily. Those games have no value, and the XL is a substantially better piece of hardware. Although, I'd probably consider waiting until after E3 just in case a new model is announced.
New model?! Don't you with me stumpy...I got the OG 3DS and then the XL...don't turn me into goddamn Evilmario! >=[

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom