• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

isny

napkin dispenser
I think the T1 for $40 is only on Wii, PS3, and 360 games according to the ad.

If not, buy DK for $35 from TRU, PM MK7 at TRU for $29.99, end up getting it for $15 due to TRU giving $15 off any Mario 3DS title with purch of DK, turn around and trade MK7 in for $40 at FS. Profit!

No_Style

More of Amazon products services are now available in Canada

Amazon Android App Store
Amazon Cloud - 5GB of free storage
7" Amazon Kindle Fire HD tablet

isny

napkin dispenser

Amazon Android App Store

I saw the cloud storage when they added it the other day, but TBH, without offering MP3's and video DL's on Amazon.ca, I'll just stick with Dropbox.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Trying to go digital only with my music now, but I'm wondering what's the best music buying service in Canada? I don't use iTunes because I don't use Windows or OS X - I use Linux, so I want to avoid that if possible ... any ideas? I know HMV does some digital downloads for music but is there any other place?

DJ_Lae

Amazon Android App Store

Now we just need their streaming service.

(would make me feel better about paying for Amazon prime even though I enjoy being able to get free shipping on $10 orders)

isny

napkin dispenser
Trying to go digital only with my music now, but I'm wondering what's the best music buying service in Canada? I don't use iTunes because I don't use Windows or OS X - I use Linux, so I want to avoid that if possible ... any ideas? I know HMV does some digital downloads for music but is there any other place?

http://ca.7digital.com/

No_Style

Now we just need their streaming service.

(would make me feel better about paying for Amazon prime even though I enjoy being able to get free shipping on $10 orders)

We also need legitimate access to the Amazon Digital Download service. That way I can stop telling people to use a U.S billing address & not to worry.

Lexxism

I think the T1 for $40 is only on Wii, PS3, and 360 games according to the ad.

If not, buy DK for $35 from TRU, PM MK7 at TRU for $29.99, end up getting it for $15 due to TRU giving $15 off any Mario 3DS title with purch of DK, turn around and trade MK7 in for $40 at FS. Profit!

Oh damn. So, I need to buy DK first before I can get the $15 off for any mario 3ds game? I will not be surprise if they will not include 3DS games since people are going to abuse this to get lots of GC.

zroid

Banned
if anyone's looking for a cheap qualifier for the FS trade 1 (and some CN coins), Nintendo Land is on clearance for $19.97 at Costco. YMMV, obviously; when I was at the store, there was just one last cardboard sheet on the shelves... but it was sold out anyway. :(

snorggy

If you don't need to "own" music, I would highly recommend rdio ... there's a free trial so you can sample their library and you can "sync" songs to listen offline.

Quick

Banned
Does Spotify detect and block out connections coming from Canada? I'm thinking about signing up, and I figured I'd use something to mask my IP and sign up with an American IP, but it would seem pointless if it'll block me off anyway.

Also, is Spotify really worth the hassle?

ziadoz

Neo Member
Does Spotify detect and block out connections coming from Canada? I'm thinking about signing up, and I figured I'd use something to mask my IP and sign up with an American IP, but it would seem pointless if it'll block me off anyway.

If you pay for Premium then you can access it from any country, but if you go for their Unlimited package then you need to access it using an IP address from the country you signed up through.

I use Rdio now, but I've used Spotify in the past, and preferred it out of the two services. It isn't worth the hassle though, just use Rdio.

isny

napkin dispenser
Peanut Butter is $3.49 at SDM Sun/Mon only. Too bad it's not on sale during the 20x the points event. Either way, still as cheap as it gets!

GG-Duo

You'll need to sign up with an American IP.

You can use Spotify Free for a week with a Canadian IP. Basically, it's "travel mode". But if you want to use it longer than that, then you need to be a part of the paid tier.
So what I do is go to Target in the US and buy Spotify gift cards, since I prefer their library over Rdio. They had more Chinese songs.

One thing to note is that the Spotify iOS app is not available on the Canadian app store, so you'll need to perform some workarounds if you want it on your mobile device as well... (I didn't do this, since I usually just listen on my computer.)

Quick

Banned
If you pay for Premium then you can access it from any country, but if you go for their Unlimited package then you need to access it using an IP address from the country you signed up through.

I use Rdio now, but I've used Spotify in the past, and preferred it out of the two services. It isn't worth the hassle though, just use Rdio.

You'll need to sign up with an American IP.

You can use Spotify Free for a week with a Canadian IP. Basically, it's "travel mode". But if you want to use it longer than that, then you need to be a part of the paid tier.
So what I do is go to Target in the US and buy Spotify gift cards, since I prefer their library over Rdio. They had more Chinese songs.

One thing to note is that the Spotify iOS app is not available on the Canadian app store, so you'll need to perform some workarounds if you want it on your mobile device as well... (I didn't do this, since I usually just listen on my computer.)

Thanks guys. This pretty much seals it for me not to sign up. :p

isny

napkin dispenser
Is the site reliable? I'll bite on RAM for 7 bucks.

Yup. They used to provide the downloads for HMV up until last year. When HMV dropped them, I was still able to login and download all of my previously purchased music. I've been buying from them for years now.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
I think seniors day is usually on Thursday though, so you can't get the 20x at the same time, although I've heard it's good for doing redemptions and getting 20% off on the stuff you redeem for so that you effectively get a better redemption. Too bad I don't know any seniors in town.

Just borrow one from an old folks home. It can't be that hard.

zroid

Banned
Wonder if I'll be able to use that to do that T1 we're supposed to get at FS this week.

lol, that's my plan for now. I checked and it's on the T2 for 60 list currently up there.

BTW, for GTA people, NCIX is having some big sale at its Markham warehouse:

Fakmtrf.png

expect massive lineups if you go, but some pretty enticing deals...

edit: forgot to mention, it's on Saturday (9:30am - 5pm)

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
If you don't need to "own" music, I would highly recommend rdio ... there's a free trial so you can sample their library and you can "sync" songs to listen offline.

I was looking into that. I didn't know about the offline feature. My only concern is I don't have the biggest bandwidth cap and my data cap on my phone is 150MB/Mo.

$4.99 for just desktop is a pretty good deal.
Is the site reliable? I'll bite on RAM for 7 bucks.

I bought the same earlier. Download was easy and simple. I could see myself using it unless I opt out for a streaming service.

Quick

Banned
lol, that's my plan for now. I checked and it's on the T2 for 60 list currently up there.

Fakmtrf.png

God damn. I'm working, but I might have someone buy me stuff, provided they have stuff left.

RS4-

God damn. I'm working, but I might have someone buy me stuff, provided they have stuff left.

I went to the last one they had, like 2 years ago. I lined up at uhh, maybe 5 and was within the top 10-15 people.

People are scum though, the two fellows behind me had a group of ten show up last minute to hoard everything, then as usual, rfd style, proceed to sell everything back on the forums as if they were brand new when most of the stuff is open box/furbs.

Quick

Banned
I went to the last one they had, like 2 years ago. I lined up at uhh, maybe 5 and was within the top 10-15 people.

People are scum though, the two fellows behind me had a group of ten show up last minute to hoard everything, then as usual, rfd style, proceed to sell everything back on the forums as if they were brand new when most of the stuff is open box/furbs.

That's disgusting. Sure, save a spot for one or two people, but I think 3 is pushing it for something like this. 10 is just terrible.

Sober

Fakmtrf.png

Awesome, the warehouse is almost around the corner from where I live.

iphys

Also, just noticed the Wii U Basic hiding in the convenience section of the Shoppers flyer for $280 -- looks like there might be a gift card offer on it or something too or maybe they're just bragging about the 20x points (can't really make out the fuzzy photo that was posted on smartcanucks).

Wow, it is a $50 gift card! So $20 off, a $50 gift card, and 55800 optimum points that are easily worth $100 at the bonus redemptions they regularly do. Basic model only, but that's so worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom