• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ondore

Future Shop/Best Buy flyers:

FutureShop
Front cover: Donkey Kong Country 3D for $34.99 + $10 off June purchase
GRID/Fuse $59.99
Trade 1 for $40, Trade 2 for $60 (Trade List: - Note: ONLY 3DS GAME IS MONSTER HUNTER 3 ULTIMATE.)
NBA 2k13 $39.99
God of War Ascension $39.99
Lego Batman 2 WiiU $49.99
Skylanders Starter Kits $49.99
Mario Kart 7, New Super Mario 2, Paper Mario Sticker Star $29.99
Xbox Chatpad $29.99
Buy Tomb Raider $49.99 ($10 off) and get Hitman Absolution free (listed as $20 value)
Preorder Last of Us, get $50 off the PS3 Stereo Headset
250GB PS3 Bundle w/Uncharted 3 GOTY, Eve 514, 30day PS+, Metal Gear Solid 4 $269.99
250GB Xbox 360 Bundle with headset, Darksiders 2, Arkham City (download) and Assassin's Creed 2 $269.99

Best Buy
Donkey Kong Country 3D $34.99
Trade 1, get $40 GC (Trade List)
800RZ Points with Fuse pre-order
Tomb Raider $49.99 w/free Hitman Absolution
Little Big Planet Karting (PS3) $19.99
Lego Batman WiiU $49.99
$20 off Skylanders starter kits
Mario Kart 7, NSMB2, Paper Mario $29.99
Epic Mickey 2 $29.99 (may be PS3/360 only)
Tomb Raider LE 360 Controller $49.99
NBA2k13/God of War Ascension $39.99
250GB PS3 Bundle w/Uncharted 3 GOTY, Eve 514, 30day PS+, Assassin's Creed 2 $269.99
250GB Xbox 360 Bundle with headset, Darksiders 2, Arkham City (download) and Just Dance 3 $269.99

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Futureshop list says May 3rd to 9th, so I wonder if they made another mistake with it. I will happily flip Mystery Dungeon for DKC:R 3D and get a $10 off giftcard for next month.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Argh, the list is so short... I planned to exchange NSMB2 and maybe Paper Mario 3DS. I wonder if I should trade NSMBWii...

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I see I was correct. They slashed it to shit. I could still do Persona 4 Arena, given that it's been on sale multiple times for around $20 now.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I guess this "$40 gift card" definitely is applied to DKCR? That's certainly how it looks.

It's similar to how most of their promos work. It looks like it should be applied to the specific game, but only some stores hold you to it. So varies by location. And remember you get the $10 off June game too, so it's a pretty good value if you have something to trade in.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Anyone think Canada Computers will price match the NCIX warehouse sale?

In order to be eligible for any price match, the competitor must have a retail store within the same municipality as the desired pick up location of the nearest Canada Computers.

D'oh.

zroid

Banned
It's similar to how most of their promos work. It looks like it should be applied to the specific game, but only some stores hold you to it. So varies by location. And remember you get the $10 off June game too, so it's a pretty good value if you have something to trade in.

True. Ahh, really wishing that $20 Nintendo Land wasn't sold out at Costco yesterday! :(

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
What's the best deal for an external HDD right now? My WiiU basic is already full, and I'm looking for something cheap. Size doesn't really matter; I never filled my 60gb Xbox360 in 5+ years.

EDIT: How's this? Possible to find cheaper?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
What's the best deal for an external HDD right now? My WiiU basic is already full, and I'm looking for something cheap. Size doesn't really matter; I never filled my 60gb Xbox360 in 5+ years.

EDIT: How's this? Possible to find cheaper?
I would just shop around the various smaller resellers - ncix, tigerdirect, newegg, canada computers, memory express, etc, and wait for one of them to go on sale. Sometimes, you get lucky and it's something that you can even PM at FS/BB.

Magnus

Wow, it is a $50 gift card! So $20 off, a $50 gift card, and 55800 optimum points that are easily worth $100 at the bonus redemptions they regularly do. Basic model only, but that's so worth it.

That effectively becomes a $130 Wii U Basic (+taxes on the $280), assuming you can spend $150 on Shoppers in the future, which most of us could.

Nice deal!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
That effectively becomes a $130 Wii U Basic (+taxes on the $280), assuming you can spend $150 on Shoppers in the future, which most of us could.

Nice deal!

I still haven't figured out a way to use mine from when I bought the Vita. The fact that you have to buy something big all at once is a bit wacky. lol

I'm hoping Shoppers will bother to carry next gen consoles at least.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
You can use your points on a redemption day on Nintendo Points, gift cards, things you can stock up on and all sorts of stuff. They carry plenty of Vita / PS3 / Wii U / 3DS games too, so you might be able to spend points on that too. Oh, controllers for systems might be a good thing to buy as well.

That's an excellent deal on the Wii U. You can basically fill the $50GC for points / game and spend the $85-100 worth of points on more games in a few weeks.. whenever their next redemption day is.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
You can use your points on a redemption day on Nintendo Points, gift cards, things you can stock up on and all sorts of stuff. They carry plenty of Vita / PS3 / Wii U / 3DS games too, so you might be able to spend points on that too.
Yeah, but games are always cheaper because of trade ins (and tsilon coupons) at FS and I haven't needed to buy a gift card in a while (especially since Nintendo now lets you just pay the actual cost of whatever you're buying). I remember people here said they stock up on vitamins or cosmetics, but that's a lot of mulit-vitamins to buy!

iphys

No, you can't use the redemption on gift cards. The only way to get around that is to redeem for the whole amount and then return stuff for a shoppers gift card, but that's frowned upon. Best case is to redeem for a console; otherwise, I usually get games and a stockpile of food.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Yeah, but games are always cheaper because of trade ins (and tsilon coupons) at FS and I haven't needed to buy a gift card in a while (especially since Nintendo now lets you just pay the actual cost of whatever you're buying). I remember people here said they stock up on vitamins or cosmetics, but that's a lot of mulit-vitamins to buy!

Well, if you NEED to spend them, you're not actually using cash. So it is cheaper. Personally I wouldn't horde your points. SDM has wiped out accounts before (Smart Canucks has a lot of SDM stories), so I always get nervous if I don't spend most of my points on the first redemption day afterwards.

Same with points. Might as well just change the SDM points which are doing nothing for you, into points you can actually spend.

No, you can't use the redemption on gift cards. The only way to get around that is to redeem for the whole amount and then return stuff for a shoppers gift card, but that's frowned upon. Best case is to redeem for a console; otherwise, I usually get games and a stockpile of food.

Yeah, my bad. I was able to do it years ago, but I guess they don't allow it anymore. You use to be able to use prepaid points cards during 20x points days too. :(

DJ_Lae

Went to Costco after work yesterday, grabbed a Nintendoland card and then found someone to check the price as there was nothing on the shelf. Sure enough, $19.97, and two copies left.

I bought both (I'm rarely a dick about that, I felt okay doing it). Waited a few minutes, they came back and said no copies were in the lockup, but also checked the floor. Nope. Had to get a refund, no Nintendoland, no $20 DKCR. Oh well. Wasting my time was more annoying than anything as I had my daughter with me and she was getting hungry.

I also learned something that is probably common knowledge, stacking with my other bit of Costco trivia:

-An asterisk (*) on the top right of the price sheet means they aren't getting another shipment in. This I knew.
-A price ending in 97 cents means clearance. I didn't know this although at the same time it doesn't really surprise me (you can usually tell clearance stuff when it's heavily discounted anyway).

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Well, if you NEED to spend them, you're not actually using cash. So it is cheaper. Personally I wouldn't horde your points. SDM has wiped out accounts before (Smart Canucks has a lot of SDM stories), so I always get nervous if I don't spend most of my points on the first redemption day afterwards.

Same with points. Might as well just change the SDM points which are doing nothing for you, into points you can actually spend.

I guess since it's funny money and not real money, that's true in a way. I guess I'll probably end up getting PSN cards or something if they don't end up getting the new consoles.

zroid

Banned
I guess since it's funny money and not real money, that's true in a way. I guess I'll probably end up getting PSN cards or something if they don't end up getting the new consoles.

Can you? I thought they technically count as electronic gift cards.

I want to spend my points on a PS4 (probably next year, on a bonus/mega redemption), but we'll see.

Quick

Banned
Future Shop/Best Buy flyers:

FutureShop
Front cover: Donkey Kong Country 3D for $34.99 + $10 off June purchase
GRID/Fuse $59.99
Trade 1 for $40, Trade 2 for $60 (Trade List: - Note: ONLY 3DS GAME IS MONSTER HUNTER 3 ULTIMATE.)
NBA 2k13 $39.99
God of War Ascension $39.99
Lego Batman 2 WiiU $49.99
Skylanders Starter Kits $49.99
Mario Kart 7, New Super Mario 2, Paper Mario Sticker Star $29.99
Xbox Chatpad $29.99
Buy Tomb Raider $49.99 ($10 off) and get Hitman Absolution free (listed as $20 value)
250GB PS3 Bundle w/Uncharted 3 GOTY, Eve 514, 30day PS+, Metal Gear Solid 4 $269.99
250GB Xbox 360 Bundle with headset, Darksiders 2, Arkham City (download) and Assassin's Creed 2 $269.99

Best Buy
Donkey Kong Country 3D $34.99
Trade 1, get $40 GC (Trade List)
800RZ Points with Fuse pre-order
Tomb Raider $49.99 w/free Hitman Absolution
Little Big Planet Karting (PS3) $19.99
Lego Batman WiiU $49.99
$20 off Skylanders starter kits
Mario Kart 7, NSMB2, Paper Mario $29.99
Epic Mickey 2 $29.99 (may be PS3/360 only)
Tomb Raider LE 360 Controller $49.99
NBA2k13/God of War Ascension $39.99
250GB PS3 Bundle w/Uncharted 3 GOTY, Eve 514, 30day PS+, Assassin's Creed 2 $269.99
250GB Xbox 360 Bundle with headset, Darksiders 2, Arkham City (download) and Just Dance 3 $269.99

The Tomb Raider/Hitman combo sounds like a damn good deal. I've been buying digital off PSN, and both games have yet to be discounted (save for the flash sale on Tomb Raider).

Time to head out to BB or FS.

Quick

Banned
And I'm back. Tomb Raider and Hitman: Absolution for a little over $55 sounds like a good deal to me.

The BB I went to only had one copy of Hitman left. :lol

DJ_Lae

God damnit I hate funny money. They never work out properly, expire, and sometimes get lost into oblivion or forgotten. I hope FS is something better. Like actual discounted money.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a bunch of tsilon $20 off coupons.

$20 3DS games was great. I'm sad all of those preorders ended with Luigi's Mansion.

I would also settle for what they had the previous year, which I think also amounted to $20 off each game.

krae_man

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a bunch of tsilon $20 off coupons.

$20 3DS games was great. I'm sad all of those preorders ended with Luigi's Mansion.

I would also settle for what they had the previous year, which I think also amounted to $20 off each game.

Regular non Tsilon deal was Preorder 3 games, get one free. Which was basically $45 games.

Bestbuy's was $10 off with some games also having 800 rewards zone points.

May as well trade in the copy of Halo 4 I'm never going to play again. Tempted to get rid of Revengence now too that I hear it's got a PC version coming.

It's kind of exciting being able to get as much back for the game as I spent on it.

zroid

Banned
Just getting the games for $40 straight up is better though.

Well, yeah, but that's tsilon. FS's usual E3 deal is buy 3, get one free, or $15 off each.

This way, you're getting $60 credit, and aren't forced to spend it on a 4th game right now. Of course, $20 off glist codes are better. :p

iphys

Looks like Bestbuy's E3 promo is going to be "Preorder 3 games get 4800 rewards zone points"

It would be hot if it included 3DS games, but I imagine it will just be $60 games. So I wonder if you get the 1600 RZ points per game and they later put the 800 RZ points on them if you get both, or if this promo is an excuse to say you already got the RZ points so we can't double up on deals anymore. I'm also not keen on having to order multiple games together, because then you can't really change your mind and cancel an individual game later.

I really hope Tsilon comes through with $20 codes again.

zroid

Banned
I'm slightly concerned 3DS/Vita games will be excluded from tsilon's codes this time. :(

Just seems... too good to happen again. Hope I'm wrong.

Traded BLOPS2 in to FS for a 40 dollar gift card today, I paid 40 dollars for it at launch thanks to Tsilon

They actually enforced the 1 trade per person though, Bioshock and Tomb Raider will have to wait until I have time to go to another FS

iphys

Traded BLOPS2 in to FS for a 40 dollar gift card today, I paid 40 dollars for it at launch thanks to Tsilon

They actually enforced the 1 trade per person though, Bioshock and Tomb Raider will have to wait until I have time to go to another FS

. . . or BB. I find they tend to be conveniently located right by each other.

Good to hear people are actually getting the $40 gift card.

zroid

Banned
I think I will trade in Revengeance for the 40 bucks. I didn't want to at first because it's a limited edition case, with the extra slot for the soundtrack CD, but I realized I can keep the case and just slap the cover and game inside a different PS3 case and have it both ways. (I intend to re-buy the game when it's cheaper.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom