• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you guys all got your copies of Zelda?

I haven't. I checked the tracking number and Canada Post shows that it was "successfully delivered". WHAT?!!!?!?!
What bothers me is BOTH copies (one from BB and one from FS) show that they've been delivered to my house.

What to do??! Will the CSR believe me that I never received them?

Wait a couple days and then contact CP.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I haven't gotten my copy of Zelda yet. Tracking says it's in my city now though (shipped Friday). Canada Post is so slow...

I'm sure it'll come crushed and I'll cry about it and all.

The Canada Post tracking has shown "delivered" for me before, even though it hasn't been. I think it's just someone scanned it wrong or something? I've had it show up the next day. Every time Canada Post lost my stuff, there wasn't tracking so...

That probably means that it's being delivered with the regular mail and not by courier. I was surprised when my two packages came separately today, actually.

Anyone in here use RFD? I think I have seen a few of you there.

Yeah, and a few probably lurk or read CAG as well.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I do, since no one here ever bothers to post a goddamn deal. Bitching about pre-orders should really be relegated to another thread.
Good to see you post them here after seeing them at RFD instead of just complaining. Oh wait. ;)

BTW Lone_Prodigy posts all the flyer deals every week here.

frequency

Kinda bummed that I bought Batman full price. I didn't really even like it :-\

Nothing really for me in the EB Black Friday sale... I hope other places have some better things.

Also, there are a lot of deals posted here. There's also a lot of complaining I guess.
But I think it's kind of expected with the crazy FS E3 deal everyone got in on. Other than that, it's not like we've had a ton of awesome deals to talk about anyway.

I can't really defend the ISP/UBB talk though. That seems out of place in this thread. Though I'm not complaining. I wouldn't have kept up to date on that if not for this thread.

Spike

Wal-Mart Deals Nov. 25 thru Dec. 1:

qp0zY.jpg

Just contacted FS and BB about my Zelda shipments. They said that Canada Post won't trace anything until 5 business days after. Makes no sense to me since the whole point of tracked/registered packages is that it arrives and is confirmed to arrive. It's only then will BB FS escalate it to ask CP to trace it. I've done that before, and it's a stupid process.

Basically BS FS will not send me another game (one of them is LE DAMMIT) until they prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that I never received it, or until CP refunds them the money for their bad service (which is 45 days later). No matter what, I'm Zelda-less until at least November 25th. No steelbook either! My Purolator copy is happily waiting for me at the depot though. Why can't they just use a GOOD mail service provider??!

Wow, there is literally zero things I want in that Walmart flyer.

I am assuming Boxing day is going to be better?

I don't recall ANY year where there were any good deals during normal celebrated events like Black Friday or Boxing Day. Best deals for games seem to happen during slow times.

frequency

Just contacted FS and BB about my Zelda shipments. They said that Canada Post won't trace anything until 5 business days after. Makes no sense to me since the whole point of tracked/registered packages is that it arrives and is confirmed to arrive. It's only then will BB FS escalate it to ask CP to trace it. I've done that before, and it's a stupid process.

Basically BS FS will not send me another game (one of them is LE DAMMIT) until they prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that I never received it, or until CP refunds them the money for their bad service (which is 45 days later). No matter what, I'm Zelda-less until at least November 25th. No steelbook either! My Purolator copy is happily waiting for me at the depot though. Why can't they just use a GOOD mail service provider??!

I don't recall ANY year where there were any good deals during normal celebrated events like Black Friday or Boxing Day. Best deals for games seem to happen during slow times.

Because good mail couriers cost significantly more money.

I think Black Friday/Boxing Day can be good for non-gaming things. But yeah... games deals are like rarely ever on the big sales days. They're always like in the middle of summer or something, when no one is paying attention.

grego9198

If anyone is still after a copy of the Zelda:LE in Toronto, I have an extra copy you can have at cost (69.99+HST) if you come pick it up from me.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
How do I go about returning something I bought from the futureshop online store to a real store? Do I need to print out the invoice? Or can i just have it on my phone?

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
How do I go about returning something I bought from the futureshop online store to a real store? Do I need to print out the invoice? Or can i just have it on my phone?
If they don't want to see it off of your phone you can log into your account at the customer service computer and print it off in the store.

krae_man

I'm aware of the different amounts for the amount of time spent across the border. I'm just wondering what the charges will be.

Is it a straight up tax? i.e. 12% of the value of the item? Or is it the tax AND some duty? I realize now that there is a "brokerage" or "handling" fee that is fixed, but what else is there?

I ordered $70 worth of items from the states and got burned hard with $50 brokerage from UPS. I know that this is different because it's just UPS being a piece of shit for charging me so much. I just wanna know what happens when I use Canada Post and when I walk over the border

Canada post is $5 + applicable sales tax and there's always a chance the package will slip through. With UPS you will have to pay the sales tax and get raped up the ass in brokerage fees, Bond fees, invoice integrity fees etc.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
I can't really defend the ISP/UBB talk though. That seems out of place in this thread. Though I'm not complaining. I wouldn't have kept up to date on that if not for this thread.
I disagree. If it weren't for this forum and the UBB issue exploding earlier this year, I never would have grokked on to Teksavvy. Hooked up with them on Monday and I'm cancelling my Telus internet today - 6 bucks cheaper and...

5zNKT.jpg

OLD AND BUSTED

6AzHZ.jpg

NEW HOTNESS

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Via Canada Post you mean? There's a chance they won't charge me on it?

they should NOT be charging you a tariff on a cellular phone unless someone misclassified it

HS code 8517.12.00.20

now, that's not to say someone won't misclassify it and you'll get hit with it regardless :p

You'll also get hit with taxes.

they should NOT be charging you a tariff on a cellular phone unless someone misclassified it

HS code 8517.12.00.20

now, that's not to say someone won't misclassify it and you'll get hit with it regardless :p

You'll also get hit with taxes.

Ah okay, they have classifications and charge tariffs accordingly. Thanks, this was the answer I was looking for.

RS4-

I disagree. If it weren't for this forum and the UBB issue exploding earlier this year, I never would have grokked on to Teksavvy. Hooked up with them on Monday and I'm cancelling my Telus internet today - 6 bucks cheaper and...

5zNKT.jpg

OLD AND BUSTED

6AzHZ.jpg

NEW HOTNESS

1608733286.png

:D

Sure that's with speedboost lol but I do, for whatever reason, get 3-4MB/s for the most part. Too bad my upload is trash, would like to stream.

5zNKT.jpg

OLD AND BUSTED

6AzHZ.jpg

NEW HOTNESS

Wait, don't you live in Vancouver? There's Teksavvy internet over here? =O Is this their cable or DSL service?

Thanks!

That's where the speedest server is, not where he or teksavvy are.

Yes, I know. I'm well aware that the server or bish isn't in Washington. What I'm confused about is teksavvy service. Last I checked, teksavvy was only available in Ontario.

I live in Vancouver and iirc, bish lives in Vancouver too

btkadams

Uhh guys? I just got an email from Futureshop saying they cancelled my Vita 3G order and are offering the Wifi instead... Are stores not carrying the Vita 3G and just carriers or something?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
btkadams said:
Uhh guys? I just got an email from Futureshop saying they cancelled my Vita 3G order and are offering the Wifi instead... Are stores not carrying the Vita 3G and just carriers or something?
The fact that the preorder bundle thing is only WiFi might be a sign?

krae_man

The fact that the preorder bundle thing is only WiFi might be a sign?

I just chalked it up to SCEC being useless and incapable of securing a 3G partner in time for the First edition bundle announcement. I mean everyone knows it's going to be Rogers, is it really that difficult to get all your ducks in a row concurrently with SCEA and announce the 3G partner for Canada at the same time as the US partner?

Takao

Banned
So it looks like we're going to drop Acanac for TekSavy DSL (since we already have all the DSL modems and stuff). I just have a question, for TS do you pay the entire year upfront like you do Acanac, or do you get charged monthly?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Takao said:
So it looks like we're going to drop Acanac for TekSavy DSL (since we already have all the DSL modems and stuff). I just have a question, for TS do you pay the entire year upfront like you do Acanac, or do you get charged monthly?
I pay monthly.

krae_man said:
I just chalked it up to SCEC being useless and incapable of securing a 3G partner in time for the First edition bundle announcement. I mean everyone knows it's going to be Rogers, is it really that difficult to get all your ducks in a row concurrently with SCEA and announce the 3G partner for Canada at the same time as the US partner?
Yeah, unless they couldn't make a deal with Rogers at all. That would be kind of hilarious.

frequency

Seeing the speeds posted in this thread make me sad.

My only options are Shaw (blech) and MTS (I like them). I am on MTS, but if I want to get a faster connection, I have to switch to their Ultimate TV thingy. I don't want to do that :-\ I rarely even watch TV.

Speaking of Vita pre-orders at FS. I have a code from the Batman steelbook "debacle" a bit back. It expires on the 27th. Can I give that code away? I doubt I'll use it and I think 5% off $249-$299 is a decent enough savings to not let go to waste.

krae_man

I pay monthly.

Yeah, unless they couldn't make a deal with Rogers at all. That would be kind of hilarious.

How could they not make a deal? Everyone charges the exact same rates. It's just a case of Sony deciding which network they want and really who could they choose besides Rogers?

TheExodu5

Banned
I'm pretty sure 3G is not being sold in Canada. The official release confirming the 1 week early pre-order bundles only stated that Wi-Fi was being sold in Canada, and 3G was being sold in the U.S.. That should have been a clear sign.

If you have a smart phone like an iPhone, you can just wirelessly tether the PSP anyways. That's preferable to paying for a second plan, IMO.

btkadams

I'm pretty sure 3G is not being sold in Canada. The official release confirming the 1 week early pre-order bundles only stated that Wi-Fi was being sold in Canada, and 3G was being sold in the U.S.. That should have been a clear sign.

If you have a smart phone like an iPhone, you can just wirelessly tether the PSP anyways. That's preferable to paying for a second plan, IMO.
the 3g model is on playstation.ca, so it's being sold in canada.

iphys

Hmm I just bought Zelda SS a couple days ago at Walmart for $49. Do they honour price drops on games?

I wonder if that price is a mistake, because it seems weird for a Nintendo title to drop so fast. I usually have no problem getting stores to adjust prices if you're still within the return period. If they give you trouble, just buy a new one at the lower price and return it with the receipt from the original.

StevieP

Banned
I wonder if that price is a mistake, because it seems weird for a Nintendo title to drop so fast. I usually have no problem getting stores to adjust prices if you're still within the return period. If they give you trouble, just buy a new one at the lower price and return it with the receipt from the original.

That's just walmart doing a "loss leader" thing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom