• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruiserk

Probably.

I checked FS.ca and the LE was in stock at a nearby store so I ordered for ISPU. Denied of course.

BOGOF on various clearance games and accessories at Toys R Us: http://www.toysrus.ca/family/index.jsp?categoryId=12320504

Wal-Mart Black Friday (Canada): LA Noire $24, Arkham City $29 (if you can still find the bundle with AA it's a smoking hot deal):
http://i.minus.com/iLrtVR0LxbH82.jpg

BLACK FRIDAY IN CANADA? We need a separate thread for this please!

Anyone have any luck trying to secure a pre-order for the 3DS Zelda Limited Edition bundle? I went into an EB Games and they said nothing was in the computer. The bundle is supposed to be available for US Thanksgiving, along with the red Super Mario 3D Land bundle, but no one seems to know any details.

isny

napkin dispenser
Anyone have any luck trying to secure a pre-order for the 3DS Zelda Limited Edition bundle? I went into an EB Games and they said nothing was in the computer. The bundle is supposed to be available for US Thanksgiving, along with the red Super Mario 3D Land bundle, but no one seems to know any details.

You can preorder on EB's Canadian website.

Ohh, this is great. But yeah, my question still stands, will FS price match Black Friday deals?

Probably not as they don't PM Boxing Day sales. Everything is always YMMV though at FS and BB in regards to PM'ing.

Firestorm

Yes we do. All anyone posts here about is fucking preorders.
Probably easy to predict it would turn into this when all of us preordered a dozen games with half of them coming out in November. To add to it:

OCSxk.png

How the fuck can they cancel my steelbook without notifying me? I got the game today charged at $49.99 with no steelbook. I thought it was just late until my friend IMed me saying his entire order (game and steelbook) was cancelled.

Also:
310570_10150397513707885_517927884_8467322_1844957319_n.jpg

LE crushed :( came at the same time as the regular edition + 2 books

Fifty

Has anybody who ordered Saints Row 3 from THQ gotten it from them yet?

It's the last time I'll ever order from them. Amazon.com will be the only US retailer I order from. Their cheapest shipping option isn't amazing, but it seems to always arrive here (Toronto) in under a week and they don't use donkeys to transport their goods like THQ is.

Making matters more frustrating, there's no tracking number so I'm in the dark. Luckily I have enough holiday games to keep busy, but I feel for those who don't.

How the fuck can they cancel my steelbook without notifying me? I got the game today charged at $49.99 with no steelbook. I thought it was just late until my friend IMed me saying his entire order (game and steelbook) was cancelled.
I called the CS and they told me that the Steelbooks will ship separately once they receive them from the supplier even though it says cancelled.

Firestorm

I called the CS and they told me that the Steelbooks will ship separately once they receive them from the supplier even though it says cancelled.
Ugh. What's with their shitty communication throughout all this. I've yet to receive a single e-mail about anything. Everything I've learned about any order has been through this thread. Thanks for the update.

It's the last time I'll ever order from them. Amazon.com will be the only US retailer I order from. Their cheapest shipping option isn't amazing, but it seems to always arrive here (Toronto) in under a week and they don't use donkeys to transport their goods like THQ is.

Making matters more frustrating, there's no tracking number so I'm in the dark. Luckily I have enough holiday games to keep busy, but I feel for those who don't.
Yeah. I'd be fine if they gave me a tracking number. It could be up to a month before we get our game. I guess we could just buy it from Walmart and return the THQ copy when it comes, but I dint want to have to do that.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I got the same order cancelled thing for Zelda. I emailed them and yeah, got the response about them shipping it later too. Was kind of a bummer opening the package and not seeing the steelbook.

Spike

Supposedly, Zelda SS regular edition should be $38.83 at Wal-Mart from 23rd in Quebec, and 25th everywhere else.

Saw this over at RFD, but no scans or anything. Just someone listing them since he got the flyer already.

Cheerilee

damn. 3 days. bomba total
I was just watching Reviews on the Run (Electric Playground spinoff) and Victor Lucas (notorious soft-scorer and Nintendo fan) said that the motion controls were so horrible and detracting from the greatness that he wishes Nintendo had never cursed the world with waggle.

Then he gave the game a 10/10.

zeitgeist

Probably easy to predict it would turn into this when all of us preordered a dozen games with half of them coming out in November. To add to it:

OCSxk.png

LE crushed :( came at the same time as the regular edition + 2 books

That mailbox image is the worst!

I still have not received my LE but I guess I would rather have it late than crushed. That being said, it was supposed to be available to pick up at a post office and is so far MIA.

Lothars

I'm annoyed by Canada Post because I ordered a couple things from Futureshop and I got one of the games last night but the other they put as a slip and said to pick it up at the post office, So I went to the post office to pick it up and was told O Sorry we don't have the item here tonight come back tomorrow.

It pisses me off because they should have just put it in the mailbox with the other game.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I have two SS orders that came in because I forgot to cancel one. One box was mushed and the other one was scraped, so that the gold "paint" on the box was chipping off. Not sure which one to keep. Haha.

Hey guys, I'm a bit murky on this.

If I get a Galaxy Nexus (about 600-700 in value) shipped to me from the UK, in the worst case scenario, how much in duties/taxes am I going to pay? I live in BC, so the HST would be 12%. Am I going to be paying anything more than the HST amount?

Separate situation: I get something shipped to a depot in Point Roberts (just across the border). I have to pay duties/taxes on it if it is over $50?

isny

napkin dispenser
Hey guys, I'm a bit murky on this.

If I get a Galaxy Nexus (about 600-700 in value) shipped to me from the UK, in the worst case scenario, how much in duties/taxes am I going to pay? I live in BC, so the HST would be 12%. Am I going to be paying anything more than the HST amount?

You'd also possibly pay a $15 brokerage fee/handling fee.

It would also depend on the shipping method. By regular mail you probably wouldn't get dinged at all. By any courier you'll be killed on fees.

You'd also possibly pay a $15 brokerage fee/handling fee.

It would also depend on the shipping method. By regular mail you probably wouldn't get dinged at all. By any courier you'll be killed on fees.

Via Canada Post you mean? There's a chance they won't charge me on it?

Via Canada Post you mean? There's a chance they won't charge me on it?

I'm pretty sure you won't have to pay a brokerage fee if you're shipping by Canada Post since it's government run - that's something UPS and such will charge you because they have to handle the paper work to allow the package over the border. Not an issue with Canada Post.

Though since the value of the phone is so high, you're going to get nailed with taxes for sure. You'll probably have another $5-8 for Canada Post's handling fee on top of the taxes as well.

Generally, you're allowed a low value item (I think the cut-off is around $20) but they usually let stuff slide if you're under $50ish. I've imported DVD/Blu-ray box sets from the UK and never had to pay the tax/handling. For a $600 phone though, they're gonna get ya.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
They do charge a "service fee", which is the equivalent of the courier brokerage fee I suppose. It used to be 5 bucks, but I think it's a bit higher now.

They do charge a "service fee", which is the equivalent of the courier brokerage fee I suppose. It used to be 5 bucks, but I think it's a bit higher now.

You only get charged that if they also nail you with tax. Not really an equivalent of brokerage, but a fee is a fee.

How about if I try to drive past the border with the phone? When I declare it at the border, do I pay just taxes on it or is there some duty as well.

If it is different, why would it be any different if I brought it with me instead of getting it shipped?

isny

napkin dispenser
Sin and Punishment Wii is $9.99 at BB. PM at FS for $5.99.

I'll get a photo of my receipt from PM'ing at FS uploaded soonish.

How about if I try to drive past the border with the phone? When I declare it at the border, do I pay just taxes on it or is there some duty as well.

If it is different, why would it be any different if I brought it with me instead of getting it shipped?

There are different allowances when crossing the border depending on how long you were out of the country for.

When having an item shipped to you, sometimes they just let it pass and don't charge any tax at all. If they do charge, it's based on the value determined by them, and then they also charge a handling fee on top of that.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
That's all this thread has become.
Like I said, you pre-order from any Canadian online retailer and expect quick delivery - you only have yourself to blame. THere's some serious stockholm syndrome in this thread
With the exception of my God of War Origins pre-order (which got stuck in a shipment with other games that was later fixed), all my other orders got here on the street date except when I missed Purolator and was too lazy to go there that night. Future Shop and Best Buy have been great for me but that may be due to me living in the centre of the universe. ;)

There are different allowances when crossing the border depending on how long you were out of the country for.

When having an item shipped to you, sometimes they just let it pass and don't charge any tax at all. If they do charge, it's based on the value determined by them, and then they also charge a handling fee on top of that.

I'm aware of the different amounts for the amount of time spent across the border. I'm just wondering what the charges will be.

Is it a straight up tax? i.e. 12% of the value of the item? Or is it the tax AND some duty? I realize now that there is a "brokerage" or "handling" fee that is fixed, but what else is there?

I ordered $70 worth of items from the states and got burned hard with $50 brokerage from UPS. I know that this is different because it's just UPS being a piece of shit for charging me so much. I just wanna know what happens when I use Canada Post and when I walk over the border

My Zelda Steelbook was cancelled as well. Oh well I guess I'll phone them up and bitch.

Edit: Oh wait they are shipping the Steelbooks out later? I might still phone em up and bitch anyways, just because of the terrible communication from FutureShop.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I wouldn't even claim a phone when crossing the border. I'd just put it in my pocket like it was mine all along.

isny

napkin dispenser
I wouldn't even claim a phone when crossing the border. I'd just put it in my pocket like it was mine all along.

Protip.

Photo of my receipt in case any of you have trouble PM'ing. (Click for bigger pic)

SMT DS is also $9.99 at FS and can be PM'ed at BB for quite a bit less if you can find a copy.

I'm aware of the different amounts for the amount of time spent across the border. I'm just wondering what the charges will be.

Is it a straight up tax? i.e. 12% of the value of the item? Or is it the tax AND some duty? I realize now that there is a "brokerage" or "handling" fee that is fixed, but what else is there?

I ordered $70 worth of items from the states and got burned hard with $50 brokerage from UPS. I know that this is different because it's just UPS being a piece of shit for charging me so much. I just wanna know what happens when I use Canada Post and when I walk over the border

A $50 brokerage fee doesn't sound too extreme considering some of the horror stories I've read about them. And it's not UPS's fault - it's something they're forced to charge you by the gov, but I'm no expert so I can expand on that any further. General rule of thumb I've learned when importing something is ALWAYS use the government run mail systems (Canada Post, US Mail), not a private company (UPS, Fedex) because of the brokerage headaches. The handling fee + taxes will always be lower than a brokerage fee.

As for just bringing it over the border yourself, you'd have to pay CDN taxes on it and a duty fee. I believe duties are % based and it depends on what the item is. You'd probably be able to get exact rates on the Canada Customs website. There wouldn't be any brokerage free or anything like that as far as I know.

Can you buy the xbox 360 Wireless PC dongle anywhere anymore? eBay sure, but in store somewhere?

Im loving playing Skyrim on my PC, while its hooked up to my 50" plasma, and I sit in my comfy chair, but I would like to use one of my wireless controllers instead of the wired one, cause wires suck, even if the controller is a little more comfortable.

isny

napkin dispenser
Can you buy the xbox 360 Wireless PC dongle anywhere anymore? eBay sure, but in store somewhere?

Im loving playing Skyrim on my PC, while its hooked up to my 50" plasma, and I sit in my comfy chair, but I would like to use one of my wireless controllers instead of the wired one, cause wires suck, even if the controller is a little more comfortable.

You just missed a sale a week or two ago where Newegg or someone was clearing them out.

The best option is from DealExtreme. Otherwise, just go with a wired 360 controller. They're native plug and play with PC's and can be found easily.

Cheerilee

The border allows you to bring back around $50 per-day per-person. Like if you go with two people and buy some $100 shoes, they might scowl a little bit because they know the shoes are for only one of you, not both, but they'll probably let you pass without charging tax.

There's no way you can bring a dozen people with you, or hang around Point Roberts for two weeks. You will be charged tax if you bring it in yourself from Point Roberts.

You shouldn't be charged a brokerage fee if you bring it across the border yourself, because all "brokerage" means is filling out a form. UPS doesn't like filling out the forms, so they charge people for it using convoluted schemes where they overcharge amounts based on the value of the package (which really has nothing to do with the difficulty in filling out the forms).

However, if you upgrade your UPS shipping beyond the most basic level, suddenly the stupid fees go away.

http://www.ups.com/content/ca/en/shipping/cost/zones/customs_clearance.html

Your $600-700 phone should get dinged with $56.50 worth of brokerage fees (plus the COD fees for having fees, and the taxes on the fees) using UPS's basic shipping, but if you upgrade to one level above basic, it'll arrive faster, safer, and cheaper.

So you guys all got your copies of Zelda?

I haven't. I checked the tracking number and Canada Post shows that it was "successfully delivered". WHAT?!!!?!?!
What bothers me is BOTH copies (one from BB and one from FS) show that they've been delivered to my house.

What to do??! Will the CSR believe me that I never received them?

UberTag

So you guys all got your copies of Zelda?

I haven't. I checked the tracking number and Canada Post shows that it was "successfully delivered". WHAT?!!!?!?!
What bothers me is BOTH copies (one from BB and one from FS) show that they've been delivered to my house.

What to do??! Will the CSR believe me that I never received them?
If you legit didn't receive them, you have every right to call up Future Shop and ask them to run a trace on your package.
That's standard practice for online E-Sellers (this kind of thing happens all the time) so it shouldn't be a problem.

frequency

I haven't gotten my copy of Zelda yet. Tracking says it's in my city now though (shipped Friday). Canada Post is so slow...

I'm sure it'll come crushed and I'll cry about it and all.

The Canada Post tracking has shown "delivered" for me before, even though it hasn't been. I think it's just someone scanned it wrong or something? I've had it show up the next day. Every time Canada Post lost my stuff, there wasn't tracking so...

isny

napkin dispenser
I haven't gotten my copy of Zelda yet. Tracking says it's in my city now though (shipped Friday). Canada Post is so slow...

I'm sure it'll come crushed and I'll cry about it and all.

The Canada Post tracking has shown "delivered" for me before, even though it hasn't been. I think it's just someone scanned it wrong or something? I've had it show up the next day. Every time Canada Post lost my stuff, there wasn't tracking so...

Same. Mine should be here tomorrow, and I'm sure it'll be crushed as well. (Mario 3DS still hasn't even shipped yet...sigh)

I went into FS today to see if they had any CE's left...the rep told me they were only for preorders and they cannot sell any extras to the public... -_-;; I swear you have to fail some sort of test to work there...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom