• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

isny

napkin dispenser
Stupid question, but Canadians can order from amazon.com? They will ship to Canada?

They used to ship duty and tax free up until around 2009, and then they started adding "import fees" on top of shipping and most Canadians stopped ordering directly from them.

They used to ship duty and tax free up until around 2009, and then they started adding "import fees" on top of shipping and most Canadians stopped ordering directly from them.

Yeah, I wouldn't order from then on a day to day basis anymore. But with Black Friday Sales I end up still getting a deal over anything I'm seeing on Amazon.ca.

Edit: Yup, I save $10 on X-Men First Class BR, Kinect TV Clip and a Kinect Zoom by purchasing from the US store.

isny

napkin dispenser
Why did BB ship my Zelda CE from Richmond?

I shouldn't expect anything other than a crushed box I guess. I can't expect it to go halfway across the country in a bubble mailer and make it here safely =(

krae_man

It wasn't duty and tax free, you just paid for it when your package arrived instead of upfront. Amazon doesn't decide if something has taxes or not.

isny

napkin dispenser
It wasn't duty and tax free, you just paid for it when your package arrived instead of upfront. Amazon doesn't decide if something has taxes or not.

They did indeed decide if something had duty and taxes on it as they just dropshipped everything into a wherehouse in Toronto and then sent it out Expedited by Canada Post. Essentially they paid any taxes. That's why they started charging for it, as it got too expensive.

No idea how they do it now though as I only ship items from Amazon.com to a U.S. address and then have everything forwarded to me.

isny

napkin dispenser
I'm a bit impatient so the only problem I had when I used him was the wait time. How long on average do you usually wait from when you order to when you get it?

I'm the opposite. I have him sit on stuff for me until he has enough to send. That way I get a nice big package and save on shipping at the same time =D

He's a busy guy with a full time job and a baby, and he just came back from being in China for awhile, so I have no idea how quick his turnaround time is now.

I think he's charging a nominal amount extra though for a quicker turnaround time. You can always check his forums, or the thread on CAG and check with him.

I bought the Stargate SG-1 The complete series on Amazon.com and ended up getting refunded the import and duty fees.

Yup, since 2009 when they changed and implemented the "Import Fees Deposit" it's hit or miss now on if you get refunded. I've ordered maybe 4-5 times directly to Canada from them since the change, and have never been refunded fully, only for a very small percentage of the deposit amount.

krae_man

I got it all back, or I think I got it all back I can't remember. I got refunded about $11-$12 and the set was in the $80 range so that sounds about right.

StevieP

Banned
Hey guys - so I need help. Seeing as this is the "Canadian" discussion thread, I thought I'd ask here rather than RFD since GAF knows its shit as well.

Going to buy my parents a new TV for Xmas, and they've specified 46". They want me to spend $7-800 but I told them I'd rather spend about $1000 and get the benefits of emerging tech (such as 3D/240hz) with the extra couple hundred dollars of investment.

What do I do with this $1000 in the 46" range? Image quality-wise, I've seen GAF give glowing reviews to Kuros and Bravias. I ask now, because Black Friday may produce some decent TV deals tomorrow. I'm usually quite good at this stuff and do my own research, but time is of essence in this case obviously.

isny

napkin dispenser
Hey guys - so I need help. Seeing as this is the "Canadian" discussion thread, I thought I'd ask here rather than RFD since GAF knows its shit as well.

Going to buy my parents a new TV for Xmas, and they've specified 46". They want me to spend $7-800 but I told them I'd rather spend about $1000 and get the benefits of emerging tech (such as 3D/240hz) with the extra couple hundred dollars of investment.

What do I do with this $1000 in the 46" range? Image quality-wise, I've seen GAF give glowing reviews to Kuros and Bravias. I ask now, because Black Friday may produce some decent TV deals tomorrow. I'm usually quite good at this stuff and do my own research, but time is of essence in this case obviously.

Most of the people here like Firestorm and myself are/used to be pretty active on RFD anyways, lol

In regards to your question, wouldn't you think waiting until Boxing Day would be a better idea? And do you really believe that 3D is something worth paying a premium for? Or rather, do your parents enjoy 3D enough to pay the premium knowing that it could very well not be around for that much longer?

Any deals anywhere on Sonic Generations for black friday?

It was $29.xx somewhere.

edit: yup, at Gamestop

http://www.gamestop.com/browse?nav=16k-sonic+generations

Use GFC for shipping or just pay shipping and use the Via Eboutique or Fatwallet, etc. to get some points or cash back.

StevieP

Banned
Most of the people here like Firestorm and myself are/used to be pretty active on RFD anyways, lol

In regards to your question, wouldn't you think waiting until Boxing Day would be a better idea? And do you really believe that 3D is something worth paying a premium for? Or rather, do your parents enjoy 3D enough to pay the premium knowing that it could very well not be around for that much longer?

I have an RFD account as well, but the GAF community I find is generally quite helpful with tech as well. Boxing day is generally a clearance of crappy stock or a loss-leader "we have 10 of these awesome ones for sale for the people who want to wait in line at 4AM" deal, though.

Why would I suggest 3D? Well, my parents tend to keep TVs for 10 years or longer. It's impossible to "future proof" any tech, but the more it's got on there (such as the 240hz) that could be used, the better. I'm perfectly happy with your crappy 60hz el-cheapo brand Samsung/Insignia/etcetc in my bedroom, but this is going to be their "living room centerpiece" TV. They don't give a shit about 3D, but I figure it's one more feature that may stick around like frame conversion has.

isny

napkin dispenser

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

The Future Shop Boxing Week sale opens the night of Christmas Eve, so if you wanted to save money and you didn't mind giving them a shipping notice rather than the TV on the specific day, you'll save money doing it that way :)

sweet baby jesus when did purolator start letting us pick up packages in vancouver beside a skytrain station instead of the southern most part of burnaby which i didn't know existed?!

I've always had to go to the one at City Square next to City Hall. Super convenient.

That one seems like its a few blocks over from the Canada Line.

StevieP

Banned
The Future Shop Boxing Week sale opens the night of Christmas Eve, so if you wanted to save money and you didn't mind giving them a shipping notice rather than the TV on the specific day, you'll save money doing it that way :)

As a regular participant (personally, not for others) of the FS boxing week sale... good god, even those new servers didn't save it from being a disaster :lol

krae_man

sweet baby jesus when did purolator start letting us pick up packages in vancouver beside a skytrain station instead of the southern most part of burnaby which i didn't know existed?!

Just be glad you don't have to pick up your packages up by Conestoga Mall anymore.

pr0cs

Noticed this on RFD:

This deal doesn't appear in the Sears Black Friday Flyer, but it's definitely a hot one! As seen in the Toronto Metro, Sears.ca has the Xbox 360 4GB Console + Kinect Bundle for $199.99. Some of our astute readers have pointed out that you can also take another $10 off that price with coupon code 941612400!

This offer should be available in-store and online. If you order online, you will have a $3 handling fee, but the $10 coupon and the ability to ship to store for free pickup certainly help.

isny

napkin dispenser
Noticed this on RFD:

This deal doesn't appear in the Sears Black Friday Flyer, but it's definitely a hot one! As seen in the Toronto Metro, Sears.ca has the Xbox 360 4GB Console + Kinect Bundle for $199.99. Some of our astute readers have pointed out that you can also take another $10 off that price with coupon code 941612400!

This offer should be available in-store and online. If you order online, you will have a $3 handling fee, but the $10 coupon and the ability to ship to store for free pickup certainly help.

Don't forget to use Via Eboutique or a similar website. Via will give you 400 points for the purchase of that bundle which is worth a free one way short haul train trip.

Firestorm

Just be glad you don't have to pick up your packages up by Conestoga Mall anymore.
That was great actually because I could just jump on the ixpress after work or even walk over! I was at the mall every Tuesday for $4.75 movies anyway :p The only issue was trying to pick up packages with an ID from BC x.x

But seriously. The Burnaby pickup depot is ridiculously annoying to get to by transit and in the middle of nowhere. I hope all my packages go to the Vancouver one from now on.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!

Can you choose in-store pick-up during that sale? If not then he'll pay for shipping on a TV that size.

lupinko

That was great actually because I could just jump on the ixpress after work or even walk over! I was at the mall every Tuesday for $4.75 movies anyway :p The only issue was trying to pick up packages with an ID from BC x.x

But seriously. The Burnaby pickup depot is ridiculously annoying to get to by transit and in the middle of nowhere. I hope all my packages go to the Vancouver one from now on.

Hey, I leave near the place (via car) and I have a car, and that Market Crossing location is still a pain in the ass.

That's mainly because it's only M-F with a close time of 6pm or whatever.

Which is why I always try to avoid Purolator as much as possible.

Kazerei

Banned
If anyone in K-W is still looking for the Skyward Sword bundle, I have an extra one. I completely forgot I pre-ordered it at GameStop, and surprisingly they still had a bundle when I walked in earlier today.

daevv

Anyone know if the trade in values are raised at EB for those "Most Wanted" games on the small flyers they give you sometimes? I have one that expires on Nov 26th but has some older games on it that I have (Dead Space, Orange Box, God of War 3, and Fallout NV). I want to do the trade 2 for $60 off coupon in the newest sale flyer.

soultron

Banned
Hey GTA-GAF!

If you're a big indie game enthusiast, make sure you come out to Gamercamp Lv3 this weekend! It starts tomorrow (Nov. 25) and runs until Sunday. It's going to be wicked.

There will be developer talks, tournaments, film screenings, IRL games, board games, and crazy-good food there. AlphaTwo00 and I will be there volunteering as well!

isny

napkin dispenser
If anyone in K-W is still looking for the Skyward Sword bundle, I have an extra one. I completely forgot I pre-ordered it at GameStop, and surprisingly they still had a bundle when I walked in earlier today.

Kaz, mine may show up totaled tomorrow (From BB). If it does, I'll pay for you to ship it to me if you can hold on to it for a day. That is, if no one has claimed it.

snorggy

Whatever USPS charges. I think he has estimates when you check out through his site, even on a Package Forwarding order. ($3.49 per game/dvd or something like that as an estimate)

I just copped a copy of Driver: San Fran off the Amazon.com lightning deals. Shipping and service fees adds up to about $8.

Anyone know if the trade in values are raised at EB for those "Most Wanted" games on the small flyers they give you sometimes? I have one that expires on Nov 26th but has some older games on it that I have (Dead Space, Orange Box, God of War 3, and Fallout NV). I want to do the trade 2 for $60 off coupon in the newest sale flyer.

Most Wanted doesn't mean $8+ (their minimum TIV for any trade-in promos). It just means "won't be beat".

YMMV, but I managed to get a Zelda steelbook with my E3 pre-order. I got a raincheck yesterday at FS and when I went to pick it up the CSR asked for my receipt since the steelbook is sold as a bundle (to prevent someone from buying both and returning the game). I used my packing slip/invoice and got the game+steelbook for $40.

Most Wanted doesn't mean $8+ (their minimum TIV for any trade-in promos). It just means "won't be beat".

YMMV, but I managed to get a Zelda steelbook with my E3 pre-order. I got a raincheck yesterday at FS and when I went to pick it up the CSR asked for my receipt since the steelbook is sold as a bundle (to prevent someone from buying both and returning the game). I used my packing slip/invoice and got the game+steelbook for $40.

I had to get a raincheck for my steelbook when I picked up my game on Sunday.

I didn't even know I was getting a steelbook, so... :/

survivor

Banned
Canada-GAF, any of you guys have experience with Kobo Touch? It's 20 dollars off so I'm very interested in getting one.

Did you guys ever run into a problem with books not being available but found on Kindle store only? Or books being cheaper on the Kindle store?

btkadams

has anyone ever seen that new sony ps3 stereo headset thing on sale? my bluetooth headset has crapped out so that one seemed like an obvious choice for gaming, but 100 bucks is pricey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom