• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 3: Pining for the Good Old Days Edition

aYlNEbw.png

wat

chrono01

Yep, both of my games have been "delayed due to missed delivery". That basically means that it was scheduled to be delivered today but the driver didn't get around to it, despite it being EXPRESS.. They'll make another attempt tomorrow.

My hatred for Purolator increases...

ohlawd

So wow, EBGames finally started printing pre-order codes on receipts. It took so long for them to figure it out. :p

If you bought Hatsune Miku from them, you should see if you have a code on yours.

oh so all this time they haven't been doing it?

Is that why I had no code printed during my SMTIV pickup?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
oh so all this time they haven't been doing it?

Is that why I had no code printed during my SMTIV pickup?

At the store I go to, before they would print out an entire list of codes and then just tape the code to your game. It was... "retro". lol

Now they have a system where they can punch in some product code and it will spit out a dlc code on the receipt.

Neki

So I want a screen protector for this Samsung Galaxy S3, should I just go to futureshop and buy the cheapest one? I just want to protect it against scratches, I'm not sure brand or pricing really matters for a disposable screen protector, unless anyone has any recommendations.

Mikey Jr.

Anyone else get the Nexus 4 for $200 with no contract?

Final tally came out to $241. They are charging me $17 shipping even though it says I purchased it from....

Purchased from:
Google Canada Corp.
10 Dundas Street East, Suite 600
Toronto
ON
M5B 2G9
Canada

Bleh. Ohh well. My first smart phone! And pretty fucking cheap to boot and no contract.

Neki

Final tally came out to $241. They are charging me $17 shipping even though it says I purchased it from....

Purchased from:
Google Canada Corp.
Toronto
ON
M5B 2G9
Canada

Bleh. Ohh well. My first smart phone! And pretty fucking cheap to boot and no contract.

I was thinking about it, but my dad managed to get a Galaxy S3 for cheap and he's giving it to me if I want it, so I might just save my money and use the S3, even though I really wanted a Nexus. Not a big deal.

calder

My nearest 24 hour Walmart says they aren't doing in-store reservations, and I just missed out on a guaranteed launch day PS4 at EBgames, but if anyone really wants one on launch day definitely check out Toys R' Us.

The one near me had dozens of both consoles available ($50 preorder), in fact the manager said she only had two preorders period before mine. They may not be open for midnight - the manager said she wanted to be but wasn't sure - but they certainly seem to have good allotments. Regardless going the morning of the 15th sounds much better to me than almost certainly not getting it on Friday from Futureshop and having to wait all weekend.

The TRU also had the biggest selection of Vita games and accessories I've seen in a long time. And a big Wii section, but strangely no Wii U's anywhere readily visible. I keep forgetting they have such a large videogame/electronics section.

Mikey Jr.

I was thinking about it, but my dad managed to get a Galaxy S3 for cheap and he's giving it to me if I want it, so I might just save my money and use the S3, even though I really wanted a Nexus. Not a big deal.

I honestly don't give a shit what it is, haha.

I have been using my dumbphone for a LOONG time. Its a "Baby's first phone" type phone and I have had it for 6 years.

$200 and no contract was too amazing to pass up. I don't even care about specs or whatever.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
What are the chances of just lining up for a midnight launch and getting a PS4? Not really feeling a preorder where I may or not get a console. Plus its fun going to midnight launches, a couple of my friends convinced me to go even though they aren't even interested in a PS4 at this point.

I'm still good with my mbna Mastercard, but my girlfriend is looking for either a cash back card or a points card mostly gas oriented as she does a ton of driving for her job. Any suggestions?

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Wow... My BestBuy pre-order for Killer is Dead hasn't shipped (the game released today), and the order page shows the game as "out of stock"... I guess that mean that I might get the game... one day? Good thing I pre-ordered, so I can get the game close to release... :/

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Wow... My BestBuy pre-order for Killer is Dead hasn't shipped (the game released today), and the order page shows the game as "out of stock"... I guess that mean that I might get the game... one day? Good thing I pre-ordered, so I can get the game close to release... :/
It's Xseed. I know EB got their shipments today anyway.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
It's Xseed. I know EB got their shipments today anyway.

Okay, but doesn't that mean that they already received their shipment, but shipped them all to other people and are waiting for a restock to send the remaining preorders? I hope you're right and they just haven't received the game yet... I'm still on the fence about the game after seeing the review scores, so if I end up getting it many weeks after launch I might as well cancel the order.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Okay, but doesn't that mean that they already received their shipment, but shipped them all to other people and are waiting for a restock to send the remaining preorders? I hope you're right and they just haven't received the game yet... I'm still on the fence about the game after seeing the review scores, so if I end up getting it many weeks after launch I might as well cancel the order.
It's just based on past experience. With smaller games, BB/FS always go out of stock before the games start shipping in the next few days.

Neki

Purchased from:
Google Canada Corp.
Toronto
ON
M5B 2G9
Canada

My dad agreed to help me buy the Nexus 4, so he's keeping the S3 and I just bought one, woot. Paid 225 for mine. Can't wait for it!

jokkir

Purchased from:
Google Canada Corp.
Toronto
ON
M5B 2G9
Canada

What the hell. Can I just pick it up from there lol

Gadirok

Purchased from:
Google Canada Corp.
Toronto
ON
M5B 2G9
Canada

Yeah, I saw that on RFD. Also ordered one. I've been on some shitty Nokia Lumia for the past year and before that was on a LG gossip. I've had enough terrible phones for one lifetime so $200 for a 8gb for me will finally make me not feel like a social outcast for once.

iphones are out of my league.

I am pretty sure this will work with Wind so its all good for me. I didn't pay off my earlier phone from them yet but will wait it out since its on a tab.

My total came out to the same as yours.

Gadirok

I'd go with 16GB for $50 more imo. 8GB is very, very little space these days.

I probably should have but I honestly don't mind/care.

I lasted with a 4gb on the Vita for quite a while before upgrading to a 32gb.

Never even got to using the full 8gbs on my Lumia.

The extra $50-60 will go towards saving up for GTA V.

StevieP

Banned
I almost bought it to replace my aging iPhone 4, but then realized it had no LTE by default (there are workarounds but they are disabled with every OS update - would try my patience). Even my aging Bold 9900 has HSPA+ & I figure I'll wait for the Nexus 5 to have some kind of sale if I want to switch to Android, as I don't see them intentionally disabling LTE on that.

Sora_N

Um finally have an issue with Purolator, jinxed myself. First time they delivered when no one was home. Am I able to get them to redeliver if i ask nicely? I really dont want to go down there.

So weird, they shipped yesterday and it was delivered today.

StevieP

Banned
Um finally have an issue with Purolator, jinxed myself. First time they delivered when no one was home. Am I able to get them to redeliver if i ask nicely? I really dont want to go down there.

Yeah you can get them to redeliver if you call the 800 number on the slip

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.

You will, and they'll "deliver" it again when you're not home. Trust me, it'll be much faster and less stressful if you just pick it up. I've given up on them delivering anything a long time ago.

Mupod

Man I could really use a new phone, that nexus 4 would be nice. I'm using some prehistoric Nokia with rogers prepaid but its battery has just about had it and I keep having to turn it off/on to regain my signal.

I don't really want to deal with expensive monthly payments though, I'm used to $10 a month and not even using all of that. And the great thing about my shitty phone is I can keep it in my pocket with keys and not care. I bet I'd actually use my phone a lot more if texting wasn't a horrible ordeal on it though (it just has a numpad).

Well, I'll look into it. I'm not spending any more money anyways until I find out if I have this job, but I'll know by Thursday or Friday. On a related note, do you have any idea how weird it is to do a job interview every august with people you've been working with for years? Contract jobs are silly.

Sora_N

Numpad was awful for texting, glad I never bothered learning it and then got a new phone after a year.

I think I'm gonna call Purolator and give it a shot I guess, not in a rush for the game but it would be pretty damn inconvenient to go down there.

kasane

I swear, Purolator is the MAIN reason I do my pre-orders through future shop and not EBGames. Not the stores or delivery dates, simply the delivery service.

Yep, both of my games have been "delayed due to missed delivery". That basically means that it was scheduled to be delivered today but the driver didn't get around to it, despite it being EXPRESS.. They'll make another attempt tomorrow.

My hatred for Purolator increases...

Ohh fudge. My order from newegg was shipped by purolator, its at ON airport right now i hope it arrives tomorrow

zroid

Banned
I just have purolator leave stuff outside the door when I'm away. Saves so much hassle. I know it's not possible for everyone, though. :(

Firestorm

Man I could really use a new phone, that nexus 4 would be nice. I'm using some prehistoric Nokia with rogers prepaid but its battery has just about had it and I keep having to turn it off/on to regain my signal.

I don't really want to deal with expensive monthly payments though, I'm used to $10 a month and not even using all of that. And the great thing about my shitty phone is I can keep it in my pocket with keys and not care. I bet I'd actually use my phone a lot more if texting wasn't a horrible ordeal on it though (it just has a numpad).

Well, I'll look into it. I'm not spending any more money anyways until I find out if I have this job, but I'll know by Thursday or Friday. On a related note, do you have any idea how weird it is to do a job interview every august with people you've been working with for years? Contract jobs are silly.
You can use the exact same plan you have now with the Nexus 4. You're not going on a contract or anything. You just purchase the Nexus 4, take your SIM card out of your Nokia, put it in the Nexus 4, and voila. New phone. Just disable the data and stick to WiFi.

Keys won't scratch the Nexus 4 screen though maybe they'd scratch the back. I got a cover for it though. I got the White Slim version here.

Sora_N

I just have purolator leave stuff outside the door when I'm away. Saves so much hassle. I know it's not possible for everyone, though. :(

It says on the door slip that "You can authorize Purolator to deliver future shipments without a signature. See reverse for more details" Is that what you did? I might do the same, pretty sure they sent the game in a bubble mailer. Someone would have to be home for a box either way.

Mupod

You can use the exact same plan you have now with the Nexus 4. You're not going on a contract or anything. You just purchase the Nexus 4, take your SIM card out of your Nokia, put it in the Nexus 4, and voila. New phone. Just disable the data and stick to WiFi.

Keys won't scratch the Nexus 4 screen though maybe they'd scratch the back. I got a cover for it though. I got the White Slim version here.

Damn that sounds like a plan actually. I don't need data at all, there's wifi at work and at home.

It says on the door slip that "You can authorize Purolator to deliver future shipments without a signature. See reverse for more details" Is that what you did? I might do the same, pretty sure they sent the game in a bubble mailer. Someone would have to be home for a box either way.

What I do is if I know I'm going to miss my parcel, I leave a piece of paper taped to the front door with the tracking number and my signature. Then he just leaves it on the doorstep.

I live deep in the woods of northern ontario though, nobody is gonna steal my shit. Most of my neighbors are bears.

But yeah my purolator guy is cool. Comes at the same time every time, sometimes brings treats for the dogs too. I gotta drive to the ends of the earth if I miss the parcel but that was only an issue once in 5 years.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
So i guess all those shit reviews about purolator are true

Funniest story: I was waiting for something to be delivered, I get up early and see that it left the postal facility. I get happy, wait for the door to ring, check online every 30mins. Sometime around noon there's an update: "attempted delivery, recipient not at home".

Riiiight.

kasane

Funniest story: I was waiting for something to be delivered, I get up early and see that it left the postal facility. I get happy, wait for the door to ring, check online every 30mins. Sometime around noon there's an update: "attempted delivery, recipient not at home".

Riiiight.
Daaaaamn couriers are so lazy these days

Riiiight.

This is pretty much what happens with me every single time :mad:
Now that Canada post guy is stealing my no signature parcels I'm screwed, lost many many stuff and only Staples gave me a refund when I contacted them :(

Neki

I'd go with 16GB for $50 more imo. 8GB is very, very little space these days.

I went with the 8GB, too cheap for 16GB. I don't have that much music or videos, I was able to live off a 8GB iPod touch for a couple of years before that broke. I'm just glad to get a new piece of technology, it's been a while. I also ordered some screen protectors and the Ringke fusion case online, I really hope the case is good.

BadWolf

Purchased from:
Google Canada Corp.
Toronto
ON
M5B 2G9
Canada

Bought a Nexus 7 from them yesterday and thought the same but that just seems to be their Canadian office address.

When I received the shipment notification it said its shipping from the US.

Luigi87

So on my Project Diva F tracking page, it now has "Appointment required for delivery. Receiver will be contacted to reschedule." four times at different hours...

webrunner

Anyone know what's up with Sweet Fuse? I preordered a copy for my fiancee but they didn't get any copies in and the website still lists it as a preorder even though it should have came out yesterday.

espher

Riiiight.

Had this happen, once with Purolator and once with Canada Post.

I was sitting in my living room, watching TV. There's a giant picture window with a clear view of my entire driveway. My peripheral vision is not so bad that I wouldn't notice a giant vehicle pulling in, but online tracking showed the delivery attempt had failed. I called and complained each time, both companies ensured me that the delivery attempt had happened. With Purolator, I came home the next day at lunch and the delivery attempt slip or w/e was in my mailbox dated for the previous day. notamused.jpg

The next time I ordered with Canada Post I actually saw the guy pull in, get out of the vehicle with the slip, walk up to the door, drop it in the mailbox, and turn and walk away. I opened the door and he said "oh, I didn't see a car in the driveway, I just assumed nobody was home". Gave me my parcel -- I told him we've got one vehicle and sometimes someone may be home with no car in the lot. He's been great ever since, mind you. Checks every time.

Top Bottom