• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 3: Pining for the Good Old Days Edition

Funniest story: I was waiting for something to be delivered, I get up early and see that it left the postal facility. I get happy, wait for the door to ring, check online every 30mins. Sometime around noon there's an update: "attempted delivery, recipient not at home".

Riiiight.

I just had this happen about a week or two back. It was with UPS. I called in, let them know what happened and that I wasn't happy with it. Somebody from the dispatch called back, and about 45 mins later a pissed off looking driver was at my door, lol.

Anth0ny

Funniest story: I was waiting for something to be delivered, I get up early and see that it left the postal facility. I get happy, wait for the door to ring, check online every 30mins. Sometime around noon there's an update: "attempted delivery, recipient not at home".

Riiiight.

this do this shit ALL THE FUCKING TIME

they see no car in the drive way, and don't even bother to ring the doorbell. are you fucking kidding me? is lifting your arm slightly that difficult?

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
If you go to the PS4 preorder page on the website and look under "Questions and Answers" at the bottom:

With that info being a month old I'm a bit leery. But you'd think they'd update the page with new info.

I asked a question about this yesterday on the Walmart site for a more updated answer and got the response that there are no in-store preorders at this time.

Looks like I'm getting up at 4am on the 15th..... The joys of a console launch :p

Tuck

Riiiight.

I had this happen to me once - Purolator, I think. I was so mad - I had been waiting at home all day for it, and the guy didn't even bother knocking.

Every time I get the 'Delivery Failed' it just means they didn't have someone working in the area and it's at the nearest postal office awaiting pick-up.

Then again I live in a tiny town.

kasane

My order from purolator arrives today. I hope they at least call, dont want to pick it up somewhere else since my car is at the service center.

Edit: Or at least leave it at sobeys across the street like canada post

frequency

So of course after I say Purolator is totally awesome, I get this:

Aug 28, 2013 1:00 a.m. Toronto Sort Ctr/ctr Tri, ON Mechanical delay
Aug 26, 2013 8:26 p.m. Toronto Sort Ctr/ctr Tri, ON Departed sort facility

Aug 26, 2013 8:10 p.m. Toronto Sort Ctr/ctr Tri, ON Arrived at sort facility
Aug 26, 2013 8:09 p.m. Toronto Sort Ctr/ctr Tri, ON Picked up by Purolator
Aug 26, 2013 8:08 p.m. Purolator Shipping label created

(I am not in Toronto)

I'm not really angry about it or anything though. It was for FF14:ARR CE and I don't intend to start that until at least the servers are stable so whatever.

I just thought it was really funny that this happened (for the first time ever) right after I said Purolator is the best. The shipping gods continue to mock me, ahaha.

Orca

Had this happen, once with Purolator and once with Canada Post.

I was sitting in my living room, watching TV. There's a giant picture window with a clear view of my entire driveway. My peripheral vision is not so bad that I wouldn't notice a giant vehicle pulling in, but online tracking showed the delivery attempt had failed. I called and complained each time, both companies ensured me that the delivery attempt had happened. With Purolator, I came home the next day at lunch and the delivery attempt slip or w/e was in my mailbox dated for the previous day. notamused.jpg

The next time I ordered with Canada Post I actually saw the guy pull in, get out of the vehicle with the slip, walk up to the door, drop it in the mailbox, and turn and walk away. I opened the door and he said "oh, I didn't see a car in the driveway, I just assumed nobody was home". Gave me my parcel -- I told him we've got one vehicle and sometimes someone may be home with no car in the lot. He's been great ever since, mind you. Checks every time.

I had a delivery coming in while I was on vacation. I was in the front yard the entire time, mowing the lawn and doing some landscaping work. Surprised as hell to check at noon and find that I hadn't been at home the whole time, so I called in and inquired where, exactly, they'd tried to deliver the package.

The package was delivered about an hour and a half later.

My nearest 24 hour Walmart says they aren't doing in-store reservations, and I just missed out on a guaranteed launch day PS4 at EBgames, but if anyone really wants one on launch day definitely check out Toys R' Us.

The one near me had dozens of both consoles available ($50 preorder), in fact the manager said she only had two preorders period before mine. They may not be open for midnight - the manager said she wanted to be but wasn't sure - but they certainly seem to have good allotments. Regardless going the morning of the 15th sounds much better to me than almost certainly not getting it on Friday from Futureshop and having to wait all weekend.

Do you have any Shoppers Drug Marts nearby that might stock them? I remember some people doing that with the Wii U back in the fall.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I guess FS will be getting a bunch of calls today because Wind Waker HD MSRP was just announced as $49.99 instead of the $59.99 it was before. It means our E3 preorders should be dropped from $39.99 to $33.33 because the deal was 33% off. Same thing for Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I guess FS will be getting a bunch of calls today because Wind Waker HD MSRP was just announced as $49.99 instead of the $59.99 it was before. It means our E3 preorders should be dropped from $39.99 to $33.33 because the deal was 33% off. Same thing for Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze.
Will they actually drop the price? I remember people having trouble with the Ico collection during the last sale.

Fuzzy

Will they actually drop the price? I remember people having trouble with the Ico collection during the last sale.
That's why I used the word "should". Some people have gotten them adjusted in the past while others have had no luck.

krae_man

I got Sly 4 for $25 last year even though technically it wouldn't have applied for the promotion since last years was $50 minimum.

I had no luck getting them to change my Starcraft HOTS pre-order after the MSRP was lowered to the same price I was paying with the discount =/

zroid

Banned
I'm going to wait until the $50 MSRP is actually reflected on FS' product listing. I figure my chances will be better if I don't have to try and convince them that $50 is the real price.

Fuzzy

I'm going to wait until the $50 MSRP is actually reflected on FS' product listing. I figure my chances will be better if I don't have to try and convince them that $50 is the real price.
Also, start bugging them on twitter.

@FS_Gamer
@FS_Deals

zroid

Banned
Also, start bugging them on twitter.

@FS_Gamer
@FS_Deals

yeah, good idea :p

edit: DAMMIT I just saw the news about GameStop (and presumably EB) getting the Wind Waker CE for $55. If FS won't adjust my price to $33, then I don't think I can resist the Ganondorf figure for an extra 15 bucks.

I lucked out: Canada Post stuffed my New Super Luigi U in my mailbox so I didn't have to trek out to a post office to get it. Can't remember the last time that happened.

kasane

Aug 28, 2013 11:53 a.m. Winnipeg, MB Appointment required for delivery. Receiver will be contacted to reschedule.
Aug 28, 2013 8:06 a.m. Winnipeg, MB On vehicle for delivery
Aug 28, 2013 4:48 a.m. Winnipeg, MB Arrived at sort facility
Aug 27, 2013 9:26 p.m. Hamilton Airport/aeroport, ON Departed sort facility
Aug 27, 2013 9:23 p.m. Hamilton Airport/aeroport, ON Arrived at sort facility
Aug 27, 2013 6:57 p.m. Toronto Sort Ctr/ctr Tri, ON Departed sort facility
Aug 27, 2013 6:51 p.m. Toronto Sort Ctr/ctr Tri, ON Arrived at sort facility
Aug 27, 2013 6:50 p.m. Toronto Sort Ctr/ctr Tri, ON Picked up by Purolator

No shit, im gonna avoid purolator as long as i possibly can =/ Im pissed

Edit: And what does purolator mean? What a stupid name

Edit2: and now they're advertising it as easiest part of your day. Wow

Conceptor

Wow that Nexus 4 deal. I've got an old phone so popping in my sim card will be great. How important is LTE? I'm not going to be using a data plan anyway.

Luigi87

Got my packages.
The courier told me directly that he had one of them yesterday, but the road was blocked (again, they started roadwork on my street yesterday with no prior warning).

Firestorm

Wow that Nexus 4 deal. I've got an old phone so popping in my sim card will be great. How important is LTE? I'm not going to be using a data plan anyway.
Without data, LTE is not a factor at all for you.

You will need to get a MicroSIM from your provider in most cases though as most Pay as You Go phones will use full sized SIM cards.

Ondore

Assuming there's no leaks from the Futureshop VIP thing tomorrow, I'll truck over for the Atlantic opening and see if I can grab some pics of the list to send to @GameDealsCanada

Conceptor

Without data, LTE is not a factor at all for you.

You will need to get a MicroSIM from your provider in most cases though as most Pay as You Go phones will use full sized SIM cards.
I've got an older phone, but not that old!

I'm checking out that case that was linked earlier. Do you guys recommend a particular brand of screen protectors?

Canon

Banned
Donkey Kong and Wind Waker are $49.99, should I call up FS to get these prices changed? To 33% off?

I have to say Futureshop has the worst customer support I've ever seen online. Every email I've sent takes days to get a reply and they only say, "See in-store for details," or "We have no information on that."

Firestorm

I'm not using a screen protector at all on my Nexus. Just a case as I don't want it to shatter upon dropping it. Covers with a bit of a "lip" can protect the glass from hitting the ground straight on.

L Thammy

Venting: I wish I could get a mulligan on the E3 Futureshop deal. Seeing their e-mails just reminds me that I probably won't care for Watch_Dogs. :|

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
What happens if you cancel the pre-order if Zelda is the only game left to be delivered? I could just cancel it if they don't drop the price, right?

FrsDvl

Lol Canada Post can be terrible. Had the mailman walk up the steps to the door, then turn around and walk away while he tossed a slip in the mailbox. Cmon my daughter was playing in front of the window yelling Moo Man!! (Mailman) yet he pretended no one was home. I opened the door just before he put the slip in the mailbox and hes like oh yeah I got a heavy box it's very heavy. Mm okay, figured I'd offer to help him carry it. Nah that's okay he said he'll be back in 10 minutes. And he was. And that heavy box? It weighed less than 5 pounds.

Fact is, Canada post is lazy most of the times and they can't be arsed to deliver parcels.

kasane

All haill purolator! Now they won't try delivering it again instead i have to pick it up tomorrow! YEAH!

Lol Canada Post can be terrible. Had the mailman walk up the steps to the door, then turn around and walk away while he tossed a slip in the mailbox. Cmon my daughter was playing in front of the window yelling Moo Man!! (Mailman) yet he pretended no one was home. I opened the door just before he put the slip in the mailbox and hes like oh yeah I got a heavy box it's very heavy. Mm okay, figured I'd offer to help him carry it. Nah that's okay he said he'll be back in 10 minutes. And he was. And that heavy box? It weighed less than 5 pounds.

Fact is, Canada post is lazy most of the times and they can't be arsed to deliver parcels.

Well here in my province the canada post guy is pretty awesome. He always rings up my intercom and only leaves* a slip if im totally not there.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
You can't cancel the rest of an order once a part of it has shipped without calling them any way.

But it's possible, right? that's all I'm wondering, really. Zelda will be the last part of my E3 pre-order to be delivered, and if FS won't lower the price I may just cancel it and then purchase it from the estore with my FE/SMT credit.

FrsDvl

All haill purolator! Now they won't try delivering it again instead i have to pick it up tomorrow! YEAH!

Well here in my province the canada post guy is pretty awesome. He always rings up my intercom and only lives a slip if im totally not there.

We used to have a really awesome guy, always came to the door, never ever left a slip in the box. Then for some reason, some young guy is now delivering our mail. And he is the worst.

kasane

We used to have a really awesome guy, always came to the door, never ever left a slip in the box. Then for some reason, some young guy is now delivering our mail. And he is the worst.

Maybe he found a better job. :lol

Edit: still pissed that i have to pick it up tomorrow. My car is at the service center so i have to take the bus =/

Sora_N

Best Buy gave me back the full refund for the two Duck Tales they sent me that were unsealed, they let me ship it back and they credited me 2 days after they got it. Not bad. Glad I can still have some confidence in ordering from them even if things go wrong a little, of course it would depend on what actually happens next time lol.

Fuzzy

But it's possible, right? that's all I'm wondering, really. Zelda will be the last part of my E3 pre-order to be delivered, and if FS won't lower the price I may just cancel it and then purchase it from the estore with my FE/SMT credit.
I've never tried to call and cancel the rest of an order but if they won't let you then just let it be delivered then return it to the store.

I have a copy of Agent stuck in an order that I can't cancel from when I got The Walking Dead for $5 from BB. I can't be bothered to call them though.

Top Bottom