• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 3: Pining for the Good Old Days Edition

I think the discussion should be about current deals, not whether or not Futureshop is finally shipping a game bought on a deal half a year ago.

spoiler alert: they'll ship it!!!

I think it's important to know when taking a deal whether or not they will ship in a timely fashion. A lot of pick FS for their E3/tsilon deals but some may want to know how good their shipping is. Especially to rural regions.

I kind of agree. Any way you slice it, the conversation isn't on topic. The only way this is relevant to the "discussion" aspect of the title is that the events are occurring in Canada.
I guess we aren't allowed to talk about pillows anymore.

Tiktaalik

Anywho, YMMV, but the Target I work at has the MGS HD Collection on PS3 and 360 for $14.99 on clearance.

This is relevant. Further discussion about which local Target's are doing this deal is also relevant.

Discussion topics which I personally feel are not relevant and are well off topic are:

- Who you think is the best canadian cell phone provider.
- Where you can get hot deals on candy/bedsheets/other non gaming related junk.
- The fact that you're getting something in the mail. (if you have to tell someone, tell your cat, not me.)

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
As stated this is a Deals AND Discussion thread, not Deals Discussion.

Anywho, YMMV, but the Target I work at has the MGS HD Collection on PS3 and 360 for $14.99 on clearance.

What... I must check square one.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
I think people need to suck it up and realize this a catch all Canadian gaming thread, and that includes discussion about preordered games being shipped out on time or not.

Firestorm

Its fine to talk about whether or not the deal you ordered is arriving but I am not sure why discussion started last Thursday and continued through the weekend.

Most of us are having a discussion about the delivery of a game we bought through a deal offered by a Canadian retailer. Yes, we're mostly pining for its arrival, but this falls well within the expected limits of the conversation.

Besides, in my experience this type of chat only ever happens around big releases. So if it's that much of a bother, just avoid GAF around those dates (ie, the PS4/Xbox One release dates).

zroid

Banned
I will post plenty of tracking information when Pokémon is released so you guys won't have to wait all the way till the console launches for more of that goodness

DaBoss

I will post plenty of tracking information when Pokémon is released so you guys won't have to wait all the way till the console launches for more of that goodness

I'll be too busy playing Pokémon to read it on Tuesday. Can you even receive packages/mail on Thanksgiving Day?

Stat!

Not sure if anyone picked up GTA and knows this but my friend wanted to get it at Best Buy but not sure if he'll get the atomic blimp DLC. He did not pre-order. Will he?

Jachaos

Got my Tsilon copy at 12:54pm, pretty much the same time I get all of my Future Shop pre-orders. Shipped last night at 11pm like it usually does too. Sucks for those having problems with shipping.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/canada-post-tests-same-day-delivery-for-online-buyers/article14356479/

Thought this might be of interest to people in the GTA -- several game selling retailers are on board. Basically it's a same day in-town shipping option for places like Best Buy, FS and Walmart thru Canada Post. Started today.

Wonder how much it will cost........and if FS will have it free if the item is over a certain amount.....like PS4

zroid

Banned
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/canada-post-tests-same-day-delivery-for-online-buyers/article14356479/

Thought this might be of interest to people in the GTA -- several game selling retailers are on board. Basically it's a same day in-town shipping option for places like Best Buy, FS and Walmart thru Canada Post. Started today.

Interesting. Question is how much the retailers will charge for this. GTA already gets free next-day delivery, so I can't see this being worth much to us. Well, not to me, anyway...

edit: I probably should have read further down in the article...

Wal-Mart already offers free next-day delivery in some areas. For the pilot program, it will randomly upgrade some of those orders to free same-day delivery as a way of gauging consumer appetite.

“We want to see that initial reaction,” Mr. Rodrigue said. “Is it something that customers want?”

Electronics retailer Best Buy, which also owns the Future Shop chain, said it expects laptops, tablet computers and printers to be the most popular targets of same-day purchases. The retailer will charge $13.95 for same-day service. It already offers two-day and next-day delivery in much of the country.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
If I had my way, we'd only talk about pillows
I know that's code and I don't find it appropriate. ;)

Its fine to talk about whether or not the deal you ordered is arriving but I am not sure why discussion started last Thursday and continued through the weekend.
Yep, it's a little annoying for people like me who order so many games and already knows how it works.

Fuck that shit, retailer need to offer us in-store pick up on preorders.

jcutner

Not sure if anyone picked up GTA and knows this but my friend wanted to get it at Best Buy but not sure if he'll get the atomic blimp DLC. He did not pre-order. Will he?

It's packed in with the game when you open the case. It's not an extra DLC slip they give you.

Regardless if you pre-ordered, you're getting the blimp.

Haines

Banned
To the people defending the "shipment tracking discussion":

Its not that hard to understand that cluttering up this thread with "oh my god i missed my package today" pretty much defeats the purpose of this thread. Go post such things in the GTA thread, or something. Nobody wants to read 10 posts about packages in the mail before an actual deal.

Wonder how much it will cost........and if FS will have it free if the item is over a certain amount.....like PS4

Yeah that's what I was thinking on big launches or busy holiday weeks especially it might be useful.

In places where traffic sucks I'm thinking it might be worth paying $10 to $20 for some people just in terms of burning gas and time driving across town/standing in line. If the stock supply is accurate and updated, I guess the only thing is you have to make sure someone is home to receive the delivery when they come later in the day.

I can see this taking off for sure if they don't charge a lot.

Fuzzy

What? I have never encountered that when they price matched amazon. Future Shop charges for shipping too lol, that doesn't make any sense.
It's part of their price match policy. It's possible a CS rep doesn't know what they're doing but they're supposed to add on shipping costs if the online retailer you're price matching charges for shipping.

Competitors’ prices must be in Canadian dollars and will be adjusted for any fees, taxes or other charges such as environmental handling fees and shipping.
http://www.futureshop.ca/en-ca/help/id/hc80.aspx

khaaan

Nah, it's probably due to bad coding. New = on sale because the price has been updated recently or something?

Ah, wouldn't be surprised. It's not the first time I've seen a full priced game in the sale section. I just thought everyone who was going to buy this game was done buying it and FS was starting to wonder what they're going to do with all those W101 copies =P

<3

I think they're confirmed to work on PC as well, right? If not, no biggie. I'll just have to figure out what game I own that isn't The Last Of Us makes good use of them.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!

I agree with this. People should have been complaining about this back then ;)

But talking about a shipment of a big game, in this thread, on the day of or a day or two before the release date is pretty normal, some people need to get over it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Hrm, I had no idea that insurance fraud was the reason they started demanding "no safe drop" anyway. It makes sense, and other than losing a day, it's better than the alternative of waiting for UPS guy all day like a schmuck.

Palehorse

I can understand that you might get annoyed at shipping posts if you were expecting deal posts...but as there aren't very many deal posts being put up it's not like they're being drowned amongst the non-deal posts.

I put up with the occasional page of posts about cell phone deals now and then, I think people can reciprocate with putting up with some shipping posts once in forever.

Tiktaalik

I can understand that you might get annoyed at shipping posts if you were expecting deal posts...but as there aren't very many deal posts being put up it's not like they're being drowned amongst the non-deal posts.

I put up with the occasional page of posts about cell phone deals now and then, I think people can reciprocate with putting up with some shipping posts once in forever.

Don't bump the thread then?

Fuzzy

Hrm, I had no idea that insurance fraud was the reason they started demanding "no safe drop" anyway. It makes sense, and other than losing a day, it's better than the alternative of waiting for UPS guy all day like a schmuck.
You have to wait until the next day? That sucks. I'm able to pick it up the same day after 5 (maybe 6? I can't remember). It's not a problem for me though because my carrier ignores the "do not safe drop" on the label.

Except deals were drowned out because shipping discussion started last week for a game releasing today.

big_z

Can anyone link a $25 off shoppers coupon? The coupons are generic but I only got a $20 off.

Except deals were drowned out because shipping discussion started last week for a game releasing today.

There hasn't really been any deals lately outside of the Walmart $149 3ds XL.

DJ_Lae

I wandered through City Center mall during my lunch break - could not believe the lineup of dudes snaking out of EB Games, presumably all waiting to buy GTA5.

I feel weird not buying it at all.

btkadams

it looks like futureshop has failed me once again and not delivered on the release date. i'm too impatient and went to futureshop at lunch and bought gta5. it came with a free poster, so that was nice. i guess i'll be returning the mailed copy later this week.

Kspraydad

Banned
Ah, wouldn't be surprised. It's not the first time I've seen a full priced game in the sale section. I just thought everyone who was going to buy this game was done buying it and FS was starting to wonder what they're going to do with all those W101 copies =P

<3

I think they're confirmed to work on PC as well, right? If not, no biggie. I'll just have to figure out what game I own that isn't The Last Of Us makes good use of them.

Yes...PC compatible.

Luigi87

Erm, anywho
Regarding the Target I mentioned earlier (I had to go back to work, then I crashed as soon as I home back from work), I'm in Hamilton.

This is the second time the game has come down in price (there are very few other titles on Clearance as well, I don't remember which, aside from say Black Ops Vita). Initially it was $21.99

mrgone

I'm getting pretty sick of stuff arriving in the mail from Futureshop trashed. I havn't opened up my copy of GTA 5 yet, but it sounds like there are 5-6 pieces of plastic rattling around inside the box. Would they exchange an unopened game?

amrod

ended up going to superstore and buying ps3 gta 5 bundle.. I have a feeling this game will kill my launch ps3

Guess when I get my copy from FS i'll return it

Oneself

You know what sucks? It's receiving GTA5 while not at home and being forced to wait for pick up until tomorrow afternoon. That's... that's worst than receiving it late.

Well, I'll continue Rayman tonight.

balohna

I'm getting pretty sick of stuff arriving in the mail from Futureshop trashed. I havn't opened up my copy of GTA 5 yet, but it sounds like there are 5-6 pieces of plastic rattling around inside the box. Would they exchange an unopened game?

Where do you live? I'm in BC and I've gotten 4 games from them and one from BB and all have been pristine.

RS4-

Hell, my mailman didn't even show up.

Picked up the ps3 version earlier at the store anyway. Will return shipped copy.

Top Bottom