• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 3: Pining for the Good Old Days Edition

iphys

Found SDM at Yonge and College selling New Leaf.

Hmmm, didn't occur to me, but that would probably be something people might want to redeem for this weekend, especially since you can just do that $50 for 25,000 point redemption level.

iphys

The super spend your points event is a redemption event they're doing this weekend, but that's no good unless you already have points to spend. They usually do a 20x the week after a big redemption event, so I'm guessing Saturday the 15th will be the next 20x event.

There might be some strings to that credit card, like it has a fee unless you have a certain type of bank account with them or something, but I can't remember. When I looked into it before, I couldn't be bothered to go through the hassle of it.

TheExodu5

Banned
So looks like I had my MasterCard stolen. $180 charged to the CN Tower Online service. Called in to report my card and looks like there's a $1600 charge on hold where they used the wrong addres...hope that doesn't go through. I'm sure I'll get the charges removed, but it's going to be a hassle.

isny

napkin dispenser
So looks like I had my MasterCard stolen. $180 charged to the CN Tower Online service. Called in to report my card and looks like there's a $1600 charge on hold where they used the wrong addres...hope that doesn't go through. I'm sure I'll get the charges removed, but it's going to be a hassle.

It shouldn't be a hassle. It should only be you signing an affidavit and them removing the transactions. That's it.

The super spend your points event is a redemption event they're doing this weekend, but that's no good unless you already have points to spend.

He could technically go out tonight, spend $75, get the 18xxx bonus points being offered, rinse, repeat, and then have over 35k points to redeem over the bonus redemption weekend.

zroid

Banned
Just got my Best Buy flyer, and can re-confirm they're doing a Trade 1 for Animal Crossing (directly, no gc). Unfortunately the rascal who delivers my flyers forgot to include Future Shop's. But it's probably the same.

Also, LEGO City 3DS is $19.99 at BB. Not a bad deal, I guess, although I hear that version of the game is not so hot.

ohlawd

snap.

What are the chances of BB/FS adding back AssCreed III? I still have this piece of crap and I wanna get rid of it.

amrod

An employee of Future Shop showed me the flyer for deals starting this Friday.

Fire Emblem Awakening - 29.99
Luigi's Mansion 2 - 29.99
Animal Crossing - 34.99 with $10 credit

$10 credit on a future game in June, like what they did with donkey kong

isny

napkin dispenser
Just got my Best Buy flyer, and can re-confirm they're doing a Trade 1 for Animal Crossing (directly, no gc). Unfortunately the rascal who delivers my flyers forgot to include Future Shop's. But it's probably the same.

Also, LEGO City 3DS is $19.99 at BB. Not a bad deal, I guess, although I hear that version of the game is not so hot.

Funny, I got the opposite. I got FS but not BB's flyer, lol

It is indeed T1 at FS as well.

iphys

He could technically go out tonight, spend $75, get the 18xxx bonus points being offered, rinse, repeat, and then have over 35k points to redeem over the bonus redemption weekend.

I think that would kind of defeat the purpose when you're spending more money to earn the points than what they'll save you on your redemption, so kind of a bad idea unless there's a whole bunch of stuff at SDM that you needed to stock up on anyway.

isny

napkin dispenser
unless there's a whole bunch of stuff at SDM that you needed to stock up on anyway.

Yup, just saying. He could really need toilet paper or mouthwash, or oooh, maybe some mints to put on his girlfriends pillow!

Yup, just saying. He could really need toilet paper or mouthwash, or oooh, maybe some mints to put on his girlfriends pillow!

lol mints are a good idea!

Repost: @Calgary Gaf: Do you know any Shoppers Drug Mart branches that carry gaming stuff, the ones around are so poor on that side! Thanks

Leeness

Aaaaanyone spotted The Last of Us anywhere yet? :D

More specifically, the Vancouver area.

I'm sure most likely not, but I'm SO EXCITED and I keep seeing early copies found in the review thread! I'm getting antsy and jealous!

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
I'm eating my hat, no trade 1 for $40 at FS yet. Just trade 1 for AC.
If Best Buy gives you double the rewards zone points for joining the gamers club, doesn't that translate to 1600 points for A.C. and $20 in credit?

zroid

Banned
Anyone ever used multiple gift cards on a BB or FS online order before? Do they always charge the card with the lowest value first, or how does it work?

I'm trying to use one card with $8 on it, and another with $80. I want to get rid of the $8 card, so I'm hoping they don't just charge the full amount on the $80 card, while ignoring the other.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'm eating my hat, no trade 1 for $40 at FS yet. Just trade 1 for AC.
If Best Buy gives you double the rewards zone points for joining the gamers club, doesn't that translate to 1600 points for A.C. and $20 in credit?
No, it's 800 and then 34 * 2.

Alastor3

Does anyone know where we can buy Animal Crossing bundle edition with the 3DS XL ? Best buy seems out of stock pretty much everywhere online where I live :(

Sorry for all the Shoppers Drug Mart posts, but I'm still trying to figure everything out. Let's say I want to buy a PS3 that costs, for the sake of easy math, $200.

1. With just the normal Optimum card on an average day where $1 = 10 pts, that would mean I'd get 2,000 pts, correct?

2. However, if I were to buy it on a 20x day, that would mean I'd get 40,000 pts, correct?

3. Now if I use a Shoppers Optimum Credit Card that gives you a bonus 15 pts per dollar (meaning $1 = 25 pts), does that 20x day take that into account, or no? Would I still just get 40,000 pts, or would it increase to 70,000 pts?

4. Is there any special day/offer to redeem pts, or do you basically just wait to hit 95,000 and get the $170?

5. Do you find on the 20x pts days that a lot of good products (ie videogame systems) are sold out from other people (ie RFD'ers) buying stuff?

6. How often do they do the 20x pts days? Once a month? Longer? Are there any other bonus days that are worth doing, or does everyone pretty much wait for that one?

Thanks in advance for the answers!

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member

Funny, I got the opposite. I got FS but not BB's flyer, lol

It is indeed T1 at FS as well.

Now I wait to see what's eligible. If I have something to trade I'll do that, otherwise I'm going with the digital release.

Kazerei

Banned

1. Yes

2. Yes

3. I don't know, sorry

4. You can redeem points at any time. Normally, 95,000 points is worth $170, but on bonus redemption days (like this weekend), 95,000 points will be worth $220.

5. I've bought a Vita and Wii U from SDM on points days, no problem. Just wake up early and get there when the store opens.

6. 20x points days seem to be every 2 months or so. Bonus redemption days are a bit more rare, maybe a few times a year.

So when you redeem Shoppers points (say $100 worth of them), does that mean you have to buy something worth at least $100, or can you get it put onto a gift card or something?

iphys

Sorry for all the Shoppers Drug Mart posts, but I'm still trying to figure everything out. Let's say I want to buy a PS3 that costs, for the sake of easy math, $200.

1. With just the normal Optimum card on an average day where $1 = 10 pts, that would mean I'd get 2,000 pts, correct?

2. However, if I were to buy it on a 20x day, that would mean I'd get 40,000 pts, correct?

3. Now if I use a Shoppers Optimum Credit Card that gives you a bonus 15 pts per dollar (meaning $1 = 25 pts), does that 20x day take that into account, or no? Would I still just get 40,000 pts, or would it increase to 70,000 pts?

4. Is there any special day/offer to redeem pts, or do you basically just wait to hit 95,000 and get the $170?

5. Do you find on the 20x pts days that a lot of good products (ie videogame systems) are sold out from other people (ie RFD'ers) buying stuff?

6. How often do they do the 20x pts days? Once a month? Longer? Are there any other bonus days that are worth doing, or does everyone pretty much wait for that one?

Thanks in advance for the answers!

20x is just 20x regular points, so it won't multiply the bonus points for the credit card or bonus points that they sometimes offer for specific products.

One of the stores near me tends to remove their electronics on 20x days because the points cost them, but they don't do the same thing on redemption days because they get paid for the points from head office, but that's the only store I've seen do that. Usually the only problem finding electronics is if you go on a super/mega redemption day, you have to go early, because people like to redeem for the expensive items.

20x days happen nearly every month, and if you sign up for their e-mails, they often send out last-minute coupons to allow you to do extra ones as well.

Sora_N

The game is fine, honestly. I don't have a Wii U but the 3DS version is fine, the loading times aren't even as awful as it was made out to be.

iphys

Hmmm, looks like $40 games might be included in the FS E3 offer, because I see Game & Wario and several 3DS games (including Animal Crossing strangely) say they have a special offer "E3 2013" under the price.

Anyone ever used multiple gift cards on a BB or FS online order before? Do they always charge the card with the lowest value first, or how does it work?

I'm trying to use one card with $8 on it, and another with $80. I want to get rid of the $8 card, so I'm hoping they don't just charge the full amount on the $80 card, while ignoring the other.
I think they charge by order of input. Once the $8 is redeemed, they'll look for the difference in the $80. Or at least that's how I recall it working.

Aaaaanyone spotted The Last of Us anywhere yet? :D

More specifically, the Vancouver area.

I'm sure most likely not, but I'm SO EXCITED and I keep seeing early copies found in the review thread! I'm getting antsy and jealous!

I would wait until next Tuesday or Wednesday to start looking, anywhere.

Though I may hit up the local flea markets in Toronto, just in case.

Lexxism

Hmmm, looks like $40 games might be included in the FS E3 offer, because I see Game & Wario and several 3DS games (including Animal Crossing strangely) say they have a special offer "E3 2013" under the price.

Where did you see that? I'm curious to see what are the 3ds games included.

iphys

Look on the individual game pages, below the price. Looks like pretty much everything that's up for pre-order that I've clicked on is currently showing the special offer.

MarkusRJR

What are the changes to cell phone contracts coming this December? I was thinking of signing a contract today but if things are crazy different I might hold off.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Hmmm, didn't occur to me, but that would probably be something people might want to redeem for this weekend, especially since you can just do that $50 for 25,000 point redemption level.

Well, if we didn't find it early, we would have just waited for digital release, as we have oodles of Nintendo Points from FS trade ins.

Lexxism

Look on the individual game pages, below the price. Looks like pretty much everything that's up for pre-order that I've clicked on is currently showing the special offer.

Yeah, you were right. All of the 3DS pre-order games are listed for E3 offers.

zroid

Banned
Animal Crossing trade list is up (@ FS). NSMBU is still there. No handheld games.

Damn. NSMBU :/

Let's say BB have the same list(which I assume they do), will be able to get the 800rz? Or I guess not since you didn't pre-order in the first place

yeah i'm not too sure. you could pre-order today, for example, but then I don't know what happens to your $10 deposit.

Lexxism

Damn. NSMBU :/

Let's say BB have the same list(which I assume they do), will be able to get the 800rz? Or I guess not since you didn't pre-order in the first place

Ondore

Some other stuff from the FS/BB flyers:

- Futureshop is including Kid Icarus: Uprising with a 3DS (original only) purchase
- FS: The 3rd game in the $270 PS3 bundle (with Uncharted 3 GOTY and Dust 514) is LBP2
- BB: 3rd PS3 bundle game is Infamous
- BB also doing Luigi's Mansion 2/Fire Emblem for $30

No_Style

I have a copy of P4: Arena that I bought for $20 & haven't played yet. Thinking about trading it in for Animal Crossing.

Anyone know how long Persona 4: Arena is? Maybe I'll burn through it quick...

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I have a copy of P4: Arena that I bought for $20 & haven't played yet. Thinking about trading it in for Animal Crossing.

Anyone know how long Persona 4: Arena is? Maybe I'll burn through it quick...

It can be quite a long game if you want to go through the story with all the characters. Like all fighting games though, its longevity comes from its competitive play though.

It's been on sale for under $30 plenty, and down to $20 a few times. So if you want to pick it up later again, it shouldn't be a rare title to find.

What are the changes to cell phone contracts coming this December? I was thinking of signing a contract today but if things are crazy different I might hold off.

Really the only thing that people may benefit from is a clause that states that you can cancel free and clear after 2 years without penalty. However as I stated in an earlier post it is still not clear if this is actually the car if you are on a 3 year contract. Otherwise if the 2 year contacts hold up then you're probably going to pay more for your plan and phone.

Ondore

I want to do the trade 1 for Animal Crossing deal (I have a WiiU, so I can easily ditch Nintendoland) - but I want to get the digital version of AC:NL if I'm getting it at all.

If I return a game from a trade 1 promo, do they just put it on a gift card? Or would they just give me back the traded game and send me on my way? (That's... pretty skeezy now that I think about it.)

zroid

Banned
If I return a game from a trade 1 promo, do they just put it on a gift card? Or would they just give me back the traded game and send me on my way? (That's... pretty skeezy now that I think about it.)

i don't think anyone's tried it, because that sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. my very pessimistic guess is they will refund you the true trade in value of the game on a gift card, ignoring the promotion.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
An employee of Future Shop showed me the flyer for deals starting this Friday.

Fire Emblem Awakening - 29.99
Luigi's Mansion 2 - 29.99
Animal Crossing - 34.99 with $10 credit

Mhmmm I don't see the 10$ credit mentioned anywhere on their website? Will probably bite if that's a thing. Has anyone confirmed yet if that credit is only for June or July?

Top Bottom