• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 3: Pining for the Good Old Days Edition

Seik

Banned
So I just reserved Ghosts for Wii U at my nearest FS.

Though I called and the girl told me they had a list a specific games to trade and to call later to see with another guy what kind of games I could trade, so I cannot trade any game I want....welp, we'll see I guess.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Honestly, if they had stock the entire weekend I'd probably hit up 4 stores over 3 days or something to turn my old games into a PS4. I wouldn't have been able to see this go through as announced but considering the tweet / newspaper article...
As someone who spent a day looking for 20 dollar games to get a 3DS XL, I understand the impulse. My problem is when you know there are people who are just being assholes about this.
Like the 80 dollar PS3s that Target was clearing out and people taking pictures of 5 of them in their living room.
(That RFD thread also had some guy abusing it by switching out old controllers and stealing the PS+ codes from the box before returning them lol).

I honestly cannot understand how this deal makes sense for Futureshop/Best Buy. I'm still waiting for the other shoe to drop.

I have a handful of 3DS games that I literally bought for 99 cents to get Nintendo Points months ago. If I can turn those + $10 into PS4 games... or even just get the PS3 games and trade them in..

I don't get it.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Not really?

This part makes it sound like you are actually paying for the console out of pocket which is not at all whats going to happen. You are paying $10 for as many copies of $60 games from future shop you can get and then those become a new console and all the games you want for it. Pretty much exactly what Firestorm mentioned, and you can bet there are way more people on RFD that are thinking exactly like that.

Ah, I get it now. That's WAY too RFD-douchy for me.

I'm just happy to get each game ONCE, without exploiting them too much. That alone makes buying a new console more likely for me, without buying the games 40 times for trade-in credit.

vvise

FutureShop is saying you can trade in ANY game: http://community.futureshop.ca/t5/Gaming-Announcements/Trade-In-Offer-November-9-11/td-p/462113

This promotion is one of the best I have seen. Here is how it works. Bring a copy of ANY used Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 or the Wii U game (one that works and has the original jewel case) and you can trade it in for a current generation (Xbox360, PS3 or WiiU) version of: Assassin’s Creed IV, Call of Duty: Ghosts or Battlefield 4.

That is it. No catch.

So I just reserved Ghosts for Wii U at my nearest FS.

Though I called and the girl told me they had a list a specific games to trade and to call later to see with another guy what kind of games I could trade, so I cannot trade any game I want....welp, we'll see I guess.

The thing is, the Futureshop Tech blog, Financial Post, and Futureshop Community all say ANY game from the allowed consoles are accepted. No mention of a list anywhere.

DJ_Lae

Holy crap, so many new pages, I had to dig back to find out what I missed.

It's a great deal, but I feel kind of weird in saying that I have no real interest in playing any of those three games. I guess it saves me a trip out (though I was out earlier and could have stopped by at the time).

FluxWaveZ

My FutureShop called and told me specifically that they confirmed my reservation and that it is one per customer.

So would it be possible to abuse this by bringing a friend or family member along? Would they claim that they reserved the game under your name to get two games from one location?

bigmf

Hey, are we sure Best Buy is doing it too? Is their a like to something on their site? I only have one of each store in my city, and wouldn't mind getting this done quicker than one a day.

Zing

Banned
I just came from my local future shop. I went to do the trade 2 for $60 using some extra games I got from the Target sale. The guy actually told me to wait until tomorrow. I already have games to trade tomorrow, so I am set. I stopped by EB and spent literally $1.50 on trade bait. It's ridiculous.

PS: future shop associate told me it was ANY game for this special trade.

zroid

Banned
Looks like there's a Zelda thing hosted by Nintendo in Toronto and Montreal. Doesn't really seem that exciting, but you can play Link Between Worlds early, and there's a cosplay contest.

-----

The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds shall bring forth and gather Zelda fans in Toronto (November 16) and Montreal (November 17).

Help us celebrate the launch of a new The Legend of Zelda game at these exclusive Nintendo of Canada hosted events.

This is a great opportunity to play the game before its release and meet other fans of The Legend of Zelda™ franchise. Join us at the events and don’t forget to prepare your character cosplay from The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds! Giveaways for the most epic cosplay!

TORONTO - EVENT LOCATION & TIME

The Great Hall, 1087 Queen Street West

Saturday, Nov 16, from 12 p.m. - 4 p.m.

MONTRÉAL - HORAIRE DE L'ÉVÉNEMENT

Square de l'église St-James, 463 Sainte-Catherine Ouest

Dimanche 17 novembre, de 13 h à 17 h

Firestorm

Hey, are we sure Best Buy is doing it too? Is their a like to something on their site? I only have one of each store in my city, and wouldn't mind getting this done quicker than one a day.
Yes. I have a friend who works corporate and another who works retail. Both confirmed. One of the local stores already has 100 orders with more coming in...

-Deimos

I just came from my local future shop. I went to do the trade 2 for $60 using some extra games I got from the Target sale. The guy actually told me to wait until tomorrow. I already have games to trade tomorrow, so I am set. I stopped by EB and spent literally $1.50 on trade bait. It's ridiculous.

PS: future shop associate told me it was ANY game for this special trade.

omgomgomg

Hilti92

So would it be possible to abuse this by bringing a friend or family member along? Would they claim that they reserved the game under your name to get two games from one location?

I'm certain you can just say you have a reservation and they will give you the games. Just say you wanna look around some and then give the game to a friend. They told my girlfriend when they answered that "you can just bring your boyfriend to get the other game."

FluxWaveZ

I'm certain you can just say you have a reservation and they will give you the games. Just say you wanna look around some and then give the game to a friend. They told my girlfriend when they answered that "you can just bring your boyfriend to get the other game."

Ah, so that's how it works... Sounds like a plan! Thanks.

zroid

Banned
Kind of wish I had an old sports game to get rid of, lol.

Ah well, I'll just dump this copy of Fable 3, I guess.

Holy crap, so many new pages, I had to dig back to find out what I missed.

It's a great deal, but I feel kind of weird in saying that I have no real interest in playing any of those three games. I guess it saves me a trip out (though I was out earlier and could have stopped by at the time).

Nor I really, but oh well. If I cared a bit more I'd probably have tried to get all three games. As it stands, I don't mind giving AC4 a shot for basically free. I'll let people who actually want CoD and BF4 get copies of those (or, more likely, hoarders).

Hilti92

COD community is going to grow massively tomorrow. BF4 too. Can't wait to try BF4, however the reviews say it's not that good.

bigmf

...And EB Games is still doing the PS3 disc + $10 for the PS4 disc! So I don't have to put that old ps3 disk into my PS4. I think I'll take a kid with me. Futureshop 2 discs, to BestBuy 1 disc to EB games for the upgrade, and I'm probably done by lunch.

I'm not getting any confirmation emails from best buy, just one email saying I signed up for their newsletter. I got the emails from future shop fairly quickly.

ref

Sorry if it's been covered, but apparently this is a generic code and can be used by anyone....

s9jgWwl.jpg

RFD reporting success at most stores, though some stores might want it printed out. Check the RFD thread for details: http://forums.redflagdeals.com/ebgames-ps4-knack-20-off-coupon-1402517/

Also sorry if a repost.

Thanks for the heads up on this. I was actually pleasantly surprised that I enjoyed the Knack demo at my EB Games and was considering buying it, but really didn't want to pay full price for it.

Used the code (print-out) at my EB Games and got it for 39.99.

Hmmm, I have plenty of old games to trade in.....I wonder what FS/BB's angle is here

Should we assume that current gen AC4, Ghosts, BF4 will have zero trade-in value after this promo?

zroid

Banned
...And EB Games is still doing the PS3 disc + $10 for the PS4 disc! So I don't have to put that old ps3 disk into my PS4. I think I'll take a kid with me. Futureshop 2 discs, to BestBuy 1 disc to EB games for the upgrade, and I'm probably done by lunch.

I thought you needed to have purchased the game from EB to do that?

I'm having a hellish time reserving AC4 and Ghosts on Wii U, I got the store on Queensway to reserve AC4, but I'm not having much luck with Ghosts.

zroid

Banned
On the subject of trade-in restrictions, I find it... interesting... how the Markham Best Buy store doesn't accept trades (supposedly due to local laws), while both Markham Future Shop stores do accept them.

I didn't know about that. I'll have to look into it more.

Not too sure myself, just vaguely remember hearing that you need to submit your receipt. Good idea to look into it in any case.

So uh... pardon me if I'm overlooking anything obvious, but is there anything stopping me from driving around to various FutureShop stores, making these trades, and then heading straight to EB Games to trade in the new games.

A process that would essentially equate to me making between 20-30 bucks on games that would otherwise fetch me, like, a buck?

Hilti92

So uh... pardon me if I'm overlooking anything obvious, but is there anything stopping me from driving around to various FutureShop stores, making these trades, and then heading straight to EB Games to trade in the new games.

A process that would essentially equate to me making between 20-30 bucks on games that would otherwise fetch me, like, a buck?
EB will probably take them off of the list. When Old Navy gave away a game with the purchase of X amount, they didn't accept the trades.

Nothing other than your value of your time and the willingness to abuse poorly thought out promotions.

nope. but if the other stores are smart and can act fast they can rightly crash down the TIVs for those games for a while.

Sora_N

The only thing stopping you is wasting time if the games are already gone if you're in a hoarding city.

I don't think EB can do anything unless they lowered the trade-in values for those games on purpose.

webrunner

can you like, go to eb games and get something from the like, $2 rack? or like, does fucking *sneak king* count since it's an x360 game?

zroid

Banned
I can only imagine what EB execs were thinking today. Like, "oh... fuck."

Probably the same thing FS and BB store managers were thinking, haha

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The only thing stopping you is wasting time if the games are already gone if you're in a hoarding city.

I don't think EB can do anything unless they lowered the trade-in values for those games on purpose.

I assume they'll just crash the values of the games temporarily. I have to imagine that they are paying attention anyway.

Top Bottom