• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 3: Pining for the Good Old Days Edition

Tsundere

Banned
Bullshit. Because Best Buy just confirmed ANY game as well.

http://plug-in.bestbuy.ca/t5/Video-Gaming/Trade-in-Promo-Nov-9-11/m-p/72321
Can I really bring any game to trade-in?
Yes. Any PS3, Xbox 360, Wii U or 3DS game will be accepted if they are in good condition and with original package

Is there a minimum trade-in value needed for my game to be eligible?
No

Is it really any game or is there a list of eligible games?
Any PS3, Xbox 360, Wii U or 3DS game will be accepted if they are in good condition and with original package

Can you trade in PC games?
No, PC games are no included in this promotion

Are the PC versions of the games options eligible to be traded in for?
No, only the PS3, Xbox 360 and WiiU versions of: Assassin’s Creed IV, Call of Duty: Ghosts or Battlefield 4 are eligible

Do stores have a maximum number of copies?
Yes, this promotion is valid until quantities last. Get there early!

Can I get a raincheck?
No rainchecks, not valid online.

Is this really happening?
Yes, it is really happening.

Since I have a copy of COD:G reserved for in-store pickup, they wouldn't sell that tomorrow morning (before my 24 hours expires), right?

Bullshit. Because Best Buy just confirmed ANY game as well.

http://plug-in.bestbuy.ca/t5/Video-Gaming/Trade-in-Promo-Nov-9-11/m-p/72321

it's the same company, so same head office, i tihnk.

personally, it's not worth it for me since FS/BB are 30~ minute drive for me.

but for people with close stores, by all means...

it's just that they have nothing to gain from this; nothing.

why the hell did they sell all of their Used games stock at 50% off merely weeks ago, if they wanted crappy old gen games? :S

good luck everyone! hope you get your copy <3

Since I have a copy of COD:G reserved for in-store pickup, they wouldn't sell that tomorrow morning (before my 24 hours expires), right?

They put away the item you reserved for 24 hours. If you don't pick it up by then, they yeah they'll probably sell it.

Don't see why they would change their procedure. At the very least you can expect an email saying your reservation is cancelled.

Seik

Banned
So I just called back at Future Shop (in Quebec) at talked with a guy that actually knew about that shit.

He said he was just as surprised at me when he saw the promotion and told me: ''I don't know what they we're thinking, it's like they've fallen on their head, but yeah, that's really any 3DS, Xbox360, PS3 and Wii U games.''

Perfect, Wii U version of Ghost for me tomorrow! I'll trade Lost Planet on Xbox360 that I got used for 5 bucks, dat deal. :D

Firestorm

That RFDer is likely bullshitting. People don't send confirmation tweets and make official FAQ posts without already having confirmation it's legitimate. Nor would head office be that slow to catch up to what is going on.
Nope, that is set aside for you.

MercuryLS

Banned
I just thought of the best plan ever.

1) Trade-in 4 old games for 4 copies of the above new release PS3 games.

2) Trade them into EB games for their PS4 equivalents (-$40 out of pocket)

3) Play them over the holidays.

4) Trade them into FS late december for the $40 trade-in credit per title ($160). Hopefully get a gift card with the amount.

5) Change payment option on my E3 promo order ($40 for each promo game), the ones I have pre-ordered are Destiny, MGSV, Infamous Second Son and The Order 1886. Use the gift card to pay for those games. Should even out.

6) Profit.

I just thought of the best plan ever.

1) Trade-in 4 old games for 4 copies of the above new release PS3 games.

2) Trade them into EB games for their PS4 equivalents (-$40 out of pocket)

3) Play them over the holidays.

4) Trade them into FS late december for the $40 trade-in credit per title ($160). Hopefully get a gift card with the amount.

5) Change payment option on my E3 promo order ($40 for each promo game), the ones I have pre-ordered are Destiny, MGSV, Infamous Second Son and The Order 1886. Use the gift card to pay for those games. Should even out.

6) Profit.

Yup. But you need to travel to four different FS/BB for the games. Worth it if you have the time.

That RFDer is likely bullshitting. People don't send confirmation tweets and make official FAQ posts without already having confirmation it's legitimate. Nor would head office be that slow to catch up to what is going on.Nope, that is set aside for you.
But don't be surprised if reserved copies go missing or have been sold or if they scrap the entire reserve thing in the morning and just give them out first come first serve. I wouldn't personally risk going in the evening even if you have a reserved copy. Get there early. I'm not even going to bother with this since I'm not interested in any of these games. A lot of brand new copies selling for $50 gonna be on kijiji this week.

If no one has said it yet, head coach 09 for ps3 is 25 cents used at eb. Most stores still have stock.

zroid

Banned
Yeah wouldn't really be surprised if the RFDer is just making a sad attempt at discouraging people from going so he can hoard more copies for himself. Wouldn't put that past RFD for a second.

But don't be surprised if reserved copies go missing or have been sold or if they scrap the entire reserve thing in the morning and just give them out first come first serve. I wouldn't personally risk going in the evening even if you have a reserved copy. Get there early. I'm not even going to bother with this since I'm not interested in any of these games. A lot of brand new copies selling for $50 gonna be on kijiji this week.

Exactly. I'm not saying it isn't a great deal but I'm weighing the hassle of waiting in line for the possibility of getting in on this versus the amount that I'll actually be saving. Taking into account my E3 discount, that's 80 dollars total if I were to get both Ghosts and Battlefield 4 (unlikely). In the end, I think I'd rather spend that money to avoid being among the RFD Hoarder types that are guaranteed to be smelling up those lines.

Zing

Banned
Maybe just a hater who lives in Richmond Hill.

I'll be there when the doors open despite my game being reserved.

I noticed in both Best Buy's and Future Shop flyers that each store will have a minimum 25 PS4's available for those that didn't pre-order. I had thought all PS4's were reserved, so at least there's hope for people willing to line up early.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Yeah wouldn't really be surprised if the RFDer is just making a sad attempt at discouraging people from going so he can hoard more copies for himself. Wouldn't put that past RFD for a second.

Honestly, if only one RFD'er stays home because of this, I'm happy. Scum of the earth.

iphys

I was only able to reserve a game at BB, so I guess I'll show up early at the FS and hit the BB after. I hope all the gamers in town are going to be at Hal-Con tomorrow morning instead.

Quadratic

Just tried to reserve a copy of assassins creed 4 at the Bay Dundas Best Buy. I hope I get conformation. Late to the party on this. I hope I can get one.

Hilti92

I was only able to reserve a game at BB, so I guess I'll show up early at the FS and hit the BB after. I hope all the gamers in town are going to be at Hal-Con tomorrow morning instead.

What game are you looking to pick up? I'm in Dartmouth and if mine are fulfilled, I can give you a game.

MercuryLS

Banned
I reserved more games that I was supposed to, due to wanting to put all the games into one reserve. If someone wants COD Ghosts PS3 (1 Reserve) or AC:IV PS3 and COD:Ghosts PS3 (1 Reserve with both games) from the Heartland FS, PM me and I will forward the reserve email to you. When you try to claim it, if they give you hassles, tell the clerk to call me and I will vouch for you.

Brampton best buy not able to reserve any of the games. I was actually thinking I may as well try and hand them out as christmas gifts. Well not driving around for this promo. Only checked the best buy within walking distance.

MercuryLS

Banned
Brampton best buy not able to reserve any of the games. I was actually thinking I may as well try and hand them out as christmas gifts. Well not driving around for this promo. Only checked the best buy within walking distance.

PM me if you don't mind trekking to the Heartland FS.

I can say that I've already been told that it's first come, first serve at the FS that I called. Not sure what that means for folks who were some how able to reserve for pick up.

MercuryLS

Banned
I can say that I've already been told that it's first come, first serve at the FS that I called. Not sure what that means for folks who were some how able to reserve for pick up.

I'm kinda expecting this, will be there at 10am tomorrow. No way in hell I'm missing out on this.

iphys

What game are you looking to pick up? I'm in Dartmouth and if mine are fulfilled, I can give you a game.

I don't actually want any of the games: just looking to unload junk for something of more value and ideally do the T2 for $60 gift card. I'm planning to be at the Dartmouth FS in the morning.

PM me if you don't mind trekking to the Heartland FS.
Bit far still but thanks. I gotta go to the mall tomorrow anyways so if there are somehow copies left of any of the three and I can get a game at eb for a few bucks I'll do it for an easy Christmas gift for my brothers. This deal will be DEAD by noon in Ontario I guarantee. Not worth trecking around.

First come first serve on items still available. There's a reason why it's called reserving; they are keeping that copy for you. They have probably stopped reserving copies so that they have something to give to those who just show up. I'm assuming that the people who were able to reserve their copy and just stroll in and pick up their game.

And it's not like they're going to go take back copies that have been reserved when they run out of stock; that would look quite bad on them.

Canon

Banned
My store said they have 200 of each game or so in stock. But it'll still be sold out by the time I wake up and get a drive there.

Also I'm unable to reserve online, it just freezes!

Zing

Banned
The "Eligible games list" for the 60$ gift card at Bestbuy.ca is not working, there is no game on the list after following the link. Are they cancelling it so people won't go flip Battlefield 4, CoD Ghost and ACIV for 60$ cards when they just traded in two Barbie games for them at Futureshop? haha

I busted my ass to FS this evening to do the $60 promotion assuming they would take it down.

Hilti92

I don't actually want any of the games: just looking to unload junk for something of more value and ideally do the T2 for $60 gift card. I'm planning to be at the Dartmouth FS in the morning.

Good luck! We are lucky enough to have a not so busy RFD crowd around.

Zing

Banned
This is anecdotal, but an employee at a store said that these current gen games just are not selling. The stores are sitting on tons of stock. It's probably of more value to just give them away instead of shipping them back or have them sit around after next week.

Holy hell.

I don't know why but I thought this deal also applied to the next gen versions. Guess I should have realized this earlier since COD Ghosts is the only one on shelves.

I'm blaming the 4 hour sleep I had last night! lol

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
To those wondering if they would honour reservations.

I feel like this is more of a store-to-store basis. I can totally see some stores not giving a shit.

Then you might get lucky contacting FS after the fact and complaining about it, though.

Appleman

So there is a regular edition Battlefield 4? Just reserved one at Best Buy.

Does it come with the upgrade to PS4 code?

Definitely want to know this, I reserved the regular version because I didn't want to get screwed if they didn't honour the limited one (despite them being the same price)

I just went to Futureshop to trade-in 4 3DS games for 120$ to put toward my PS4. The guy had to answer the phone no less than 6 times while I was there to say "Yes I promise, the deal is true... ANY game yes!". haha poor guy, he wanted to hang himself.

Top Bottom