• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 3: Pining for the Good Old Days Edition

an update:

JorgeM said:
Hi everyone,

Yes, ANY current generation game will apply. There are no lists or restrictions on price or current availability on our website. It only has to work and with its original jewel case.

What I have been informed is that Manitoba is not participating due to local legislation (sorry, I do not have any further info on this).

Please note that I have amended the original post and added some FAQs.

Thanks!

Jorge

source

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I'm having a hellish time reserving AC4 and Ghosts on Wii U, I got the store on Queensway to reserve AC4, but I'm not having much luck with Ghosts.

AFAIK you can only get 360&PS3 versions of those 3 games with the trade-in. Not Wii U.

So what is this deal that everyone is talking about?

Trade in a game for the current gen versions of the big 3 games or the PS4 versions of it?

I'm still confused.

Tiktaalik

...And EB Games is still doing the PS3 disc + $10 for the PS4 disc! So I don't have to put that old ps3 disk into my PS4. I think I'll take a kid with me. Futureshop 2 discs, to BestBuy 1 disc to EB games for the upgrade, and I'm probably done by lunch.

Sorry what is this? I never heard of this. Do you have a link?

Okey dokey.

I reserved Ghosts Wii U at the Sherway Gardens Best Buy (a minutes from where I reversed AC4 Wii U at Futureshop), seemingly Best Buy is doing the same promotion. The lady at Best Buy didn't know anything about it, but Googling it it seems to be at Best Buy as well.

So I will likely be coming home with both after all, the FS said only one game is allowed per day (above, people are bringing friends, lucky XD), but they didn't have Ghosts anyway...

bigmf

Thanks.

If this deal still exists on the 12th when AC4 PS4 and BF4 PS4 are released then I'm definitely gonna upgrade to a physical copy instead of going the PSN downloadable route.

Reading this, it does not seem like you need to have originally bought the game at EBgames. I would appreciate a confirmation, though.

I just called. You don't need to have bought the original in store. Ghosts is available now, AC4 and BF4 are available tuesday. $9.99 each with a working copy of the PS3 game.

Between this and the $20 knack coupon and the fact I NEED Killzone. My next-gen game library is going to be up to 5 retail discs and all that free stuff from the PSN.

So, guys, I've searched and couldn't find the answer for this. Can I trade in my games for a rain cheque? I'm not able to reserve anything in store via the website and I'm sure there's a pretty good chance that they might sell out before I can make it there tomorrow.

Razdek

Banned
Can you really do an ISPU for these games? Never did a trade in before at Best Buy so do they do that at customer service?

zroid

Banned
Can you really do an ISPU for these games? Never did a trade in before at Best Buy so do they do that at customer service?

Normally they have a web pick up counter now, which is probably located at or near customer service, depending on the store. There should be a sign.

The reservations just keep the games reserved for you for 24 hrs, and you can choose to pay however when you pick them up. That includes trade-ins and whatnot.

Razdek

Banned
Normally they have a web pick up counter now, which is probably located at or near customer service, depending on the store. There should be a sign.

The reservations just keep the games reserved for you for 24 hrs, and you can choose to pay however when you pick them up. That includes trade-ins and whatnot.

Awesome thanks, reserved AC4 for PS3 and just got the ready for pick up notice. Hopefully it works tomorrow.

Orca

Called the local one and they had no idea about it. The guy thought it was trade three get one free off a list, but said if I print out the blog post and bring it in they'd try to honor it.

Zing

Banned
The store in newmarket still had a ton of these games on the shelves, so I don't think there are hoarders reserving or buying out these games yet.

If you want a cheap game to trade in, go to EB games and buy "golden compass". It's 50 cents. I also got some tony hawk game for 95 cents.

Forget it. Not going to even bother with this. Just checked the closest Futureshop and there aren't any rain cheques if they're out of stock. Add to that the fact that they have only 30 or so of each game and I know that I'd have to line up to even get lucky.

Fuck that. I'll stick with my E3 pre-orders.

Razdek

Banned
Sweet. I finally got a confirmation of my reservation at BB. I'm willing to say goodbye with my steel diver.

Has BB confirmed that they're doing it too? I got the confirmation email and waiting to see that they're doing it too. Want to bring proof so I don't have to argue with them about it.

Has BB confirmed that they're doing it too? I got the confirmation email and waiting to see that they're doing it too. Want to bring proof so I don't have to argue with them about it.

Rejoice

Trade-in Offer FAQs

Can I really bring any game to trade-in?
Yes. Any PS3, Xbox 360, Wii U or 3DS game will be accepted if they are in good condition and with original package

Is there a minimum trade-in value needed for my game to be eligible?
No

Is it really any game or is there a list of eligible games?
Any PS3, Xbox 360, Wii U or 3DS game will be accepted if they are in good condition and with original package

Can you trade in PC games?
No, PC games are no included in this promotion

Are the PC versions of the games options eligible to be traded in for?
No, only the PS3, Xbox 360 and WiiU versions of: Assassin’s Creed IV, Call of Duty: Ghosts or Battlefield 4 are eligible

Do stores have a maximum number of copies?
Yes, this promotion is valid until quantities last. Get there early!

Can I get a raincheck?
No rainchecks, not valid online.

Is this really happening?
Yes, it is really happening.

Any talk of people lining up in the morning? I have an ACIV on hold but I want to see about BF4. Not sure what kind of competition I will be up against.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Any talk of people lining up in the morning? I have an ACIV on hold but I want to see about BF4. Not sure what kind of competition I will be up against.

I hope they honour pick-up reservations so I won't have to line up...

Razdek

Banned
Rejoice

Trade-in Offer FAQs

Can I really bring any game to trade-in?
Yes. Any PS3, Xbox 360, Wii U or 3DS game will be accepted if they are in good condition and with original package

Is there a minimum trade-in value needed for my game to be eligible?
No

Is it really any game or is there a list of eligible games?
Any PS3, Xbox 360, Wii U or 3DS game will be accepted if they are in good condition and with original package

Can you trade in PC games?
No, PC games are no included in this promotion

Are the PC versions of the games options eligible to be traded in for?
No, only the PS3, Xbox 360 and WiiU versions of: Assassin’s Creed IV, Call of Duty: Ghosts or Battlefield 4 are eligible

Do stores have a maximum number of copies?
Yes, this promotion is valid until quantities last. Get there early!

Can I get a raincheck?
No rainchecks, not valid online.

Is this really happening?
Yes, it is really happening.

Thanks, good luck to those who are hoping to get in on the deal.

This, I will still go early but would not be happy if my online reservations are not available for the deal.

Don't see why this would be a problem. You got 24 hours to pick it up. Doesn't matter what the item is, you'll just stroll up to the pick up area and pay for your game. Pretty sure a you can do trade ins at the counter, according to a poster a few pages back.

I think reservations will be good.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I hope they honour pick-up reservations so I won't have to line up...
Honestly, I'm not sure if they should if only to make it "fair"... but of course, I was also able to reserve a game before it all died, so I kind of hope they do honor them lol

utter scumbags

I hate that site with a passion
Yep. lol
Deals always bring out the worst in people. Let's just hope no one gets trampled tomorrow. :p

Jayhawk

Maybe I should cancel my AC4 PS4 preorder from the E3 deal and take advantage of this FS/BB deal using an old copy of NHL 09.

from RFD

memo has just been sent down from head office. this was all an internal error, someone misread the initial promo. it IS a trade 1 get 1 free, but it is NOT any game. It is only games from a very select list and are all newer AAA type releases. my friend works in futureshop, and he has confirmed and double checked this with his manager who showed him the head office memo. the twitter feed and futureshop forums should be issuing correction notices any minute now.

which ...kinda makes sense.

from RFD

memo has just been sent down from head office. this was all an internal error, someone misread the initial promo. it IS a trade 1 get 1 free, but it is NOT any game. It is only games from a very select list and are all newer AAA type releases. my friend works in futureshop, and he has confirmed and double checked this with his manager who showed him the head office memo. the twitter feed and futureshop forums should be issuing correction notices any minute now.

I think this is FUD. The official stuff we've been seeing suggests it's any game.

from RFD

Don't believe it, too many confirmations to be wrong. Probably mistakes on their part. But you all can taste my tears when Jorge redacts his forum post.

Voice mail from FS asking if I reserved AC4 for the promo tomorrow because they aren't a trade-in store.......I have to call back to let them know if I still want it put aside

Should I call?

bigmf

Yeah, this guy with the lack of capitalization skills isn't very convincing. FS and BB got this into the Financial Post. I'll believe the Post over some whasname on RFD.

Top Bottom