• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 3: Pining for the Good Old Days Edition

firehawk12

Subete no aware
You know, does anyone know how the PS4 upgrade program works? I know you need to use the PS3 disc to activate it, but do you need to use the PS3 disc each time?

Dazzler

Picked up battlefield and cod after 3 hours in line. Ac4 all gone by the time I got to the counter. Lineup still around the block at broadway fs

Dunlop

Got PS3 versions of all 3 games (traded in Dance Central, Chrome Hounds and Forza 2)

I had the PS3 version of Black Flag reserved at one futureshop and told them I didn't need it... the guy behind me was soooo happy

Feels good making someone's day like that :)

I was holding a COD in my hand in case they had given away my ISPU I didn't want to leave empty handed. They ran out of PS3 everything but had my ISPU so I have Ghost to the dude behind me, he was thrilled

Brought my wife and kids (we needed to goto walmart anyways) but didn't need to, they let me take all 3 under my name

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
EB Games upgrade path is the preferred route, IMO.
The only reasons not to are:

1. You want to keep a copy of the PS3 version.
2. You want to get trophies on both the PS3 and PS4 versions by playing the game on each system.
3. You want to save the $1.30 in tax it'll cost over the PSN version that is tax-free.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

2. You want to get trophies on both the PS3 and PS4 versions.
3. You want to save the $1.30 in tax it'll cost over the PSN version that is tax-free.
Of course, you are also going to give up 150 gigs if you are transferring over all three games. And once you delete them, if you ever want to play again, you have redownload them all over...

Maybe in 2015, Canada will have gigabit connections?
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Of course, you are also going to give up 150 gigs if you are transferring over all three games. And once you delete them, if you ever want to play again, you have redownload them all over...

Maybe in 2015, Canada will have gigabit connections?
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
You should also hope that if you currently have shitty speed from PSN that doesn't come close to using your max bandwidth that somehow it someday will.

Frologic

Just got back from BestBuy. The line was long but not as bad as I'm reading from some people here. About an hour wait for two $60 games was worth it and they had an xboxone demo

firehawk12

Subete no aware
You should also hope that if you currently have shitty speed from PSN that doesn't come close to using your max bandwidth that somehow it someday will.
I think PSN is smart not to show the data transfer rate, because I have no idea whether or not I max out that connection.

Tiktaalik

Anyone have any reports of how EB is handling BF4 and AC4 trade ins right now? Surely they can't still be offering much of a premium. Lol

Zing

Banned
Yeah, Im sorry but yall are crazy for chasing this deal. You could have gone to work and made more money, sat at home and played games, or anything else....all these silly line ups over a free game? SMH.
Three good games, costing $180 retail for virtually no trade-in (50-95 cent games from EB) for three hours of chatting with cool gamers next to you in line is a great deal. If I was a PS3 or Xbox gamer, I would have got their gamer tags or what ever.

It was actually fun for me.

2. You want to get trophies on both the PS3 and PS4 versions by playing the game on each system.

Are we sure it's $1.30 in tax? The phrasing of the offer made it seem to me that you'll be charged tax on the full $59.99 value, and then have $50 in credit applied against that total. So $17.79 as opposed to $11.30. I know EBGames used to apply the credit to the before-tax value for regular trade-ins but I thought they'd changed the system to stop doing that a year or two ago. I dunno, I basically never do trade-ins.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Are we sure it's $1.30 in tax? The phrasing of the offer made it seem to me that you'll be charged tax on the full $59.99 value, and then have $50 in credit applied against that total. So $17.79 as opposed to $11.30. I know EBGames used to apply the credit to the before-tax value for regular trade-ins but I thought they'd changed the system to stop doing that a year or two ago. I dunno, I basically never do trade-ins.
Oh fuck, if they are charging tax on the full value then I don't know what I'll do. Is 8 bucks worth downloading 50 gigs? Dope.

Lexxism

Sweet. EBgames just called me that I'm guaranteed day 1 this coming Friday(I knew but at least I got a confirmation). Plus, they can even hold my pre-order till Monday morning. I guess I don't need to go for midnight launch and just pick it up Friday afternoon after my work.

zroid

Banned
I brought my 3DS so I could game while I waited. Win-win.

I thought about pulling out the 3DS from my pocket, but my fingers were so frigid I was worried I'd drop it ~_~

Re: my situation, I decided to email FS's customer service instead of complaining to the store manager. I don't know if it'll do anything, but I thought it might be more productive to let corporate know that this manager was breaking the rules and see if I might get something out of it instead of having an argument with a store manager who might just end up saying "it was my decision" or some shit. We'll see, I guess.

Posted this in the other thread but just a heads up to anyone who planned to return any of these games to Walmart, we are no longer taking AC4, COD or BF4 without a receipt. So regardless of whether you think it's fraud or not you can no longer do it. Also, snagged BF4 for Steel Diver today so I thought that was a pretty rad deal.

No_Style

Oh fuck, if they are charging tax on the full value then I don't know what I'll do. Is 8 bucks worth downloading 50 gigs? Dope.

Unless you never plan on trading in those games, get physical copies. Remember: BB/FS $40 trade-in offer on all next gen games from Nov 15 - Jan 2

Yeah, Im sorry but yall are crazy for chasing this deal. You could have gone to work and made more money, sat at home and played games, or anything else....all these silly line ups over a free game? SMH.

Eh, I waited at most 25 minutes in line to get a 360 copy of COD (BF4 and AC4 were gone). Had to return a 3DS too.

When I was walking out the store all they had left were Wii U copies of COD. Not gonna lie I would have been incredibly salty if that was me.

zroid

Banned
This is also the way I interpreted it, but then again I have heard EB credits deduct before tax instead of after. Sooo I'm not sure.

Seik

Banned

Dude, when you have the three of them you save something like 200$.

A working day, in my case, brings something around 120$ in my pockets.

It's so worth it it's not funny anymore. D:

and I wasn't working today, yay!

djblue89

I called EB Games in Montreal and they told me that they only do the 10$ upgrade when you bring a receipt saying that you got the game from them... so YMMV ?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Unless you never plan on trading in those games, get physical copies. Remember: BB/FS $40 trade-in offer on all next gen games from Nov 15 - Jan 2
I am already in for BF4 Premium, so I'm probably keeping that game for at least 2 years or whenever the last DLC comes out. lol

Beats

My brother got a copy of Ghosts from the promotion, but they only had the french version left. Is it possible to exchange it for the english version if it's unopened? :x

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Neither Cambie nor Metro BB does separate reserved pickup lines, boo. I'll have to head out again later today and drop by there, still >200 people at both locations. At least my copies are held until 10pm/closing.

I called EB Games in Montreal and they told me that they only do the 10$ upgrade when you bring a receipt saying that you got the game from them... so YMMV ?

Well, if this is true then I'm even happier that I didn't bother with this. I was only interested in it for the disc upgrade.

MercuryLS

Banned
I ended up going back to FS after the line was gone and tried to get my reserved game(s). They had handed out my reserved games (not surprised), but felt bad for me and gave me Battlefield 4 X360 version with a note to swap it out for the PS3 version when they get it back in stock.

So including the COD:Ghosts and AC:IV I got from Bestbuy, I got one of all the games. Will do the upgrade to PS4 versions at EBGames for $10 each and then trade them into FS or BB later in December for $40 trade in credit for each title. Unbelievable.

bisonyes.gif

Neither Cambie nor Metro BB does separate reserved pickup lines, boo. I'll have to head out again later today and drop by there, still >200 people at both locations. At least my copies are held until 10pm/closing.

well keep us posted cause i reserved two for my wife and one for me at Cambie.

are they enforcing 1 trade per customer there?

MercuryLS

Banned

Fuck. I hope that's not the case with my EB. Is Gamestop Canada doing this too?

Edit: Called my EBGames (Shoppers World), they don't care where you bought it. Will be doing my upgrades next week.

stillbisonyes.gif

sikkinixx

Bestbuy langley ain't answering the phone and neither is Futureshop Coquitlam Centre, I have pick ups at both but wondering how crazy it will be now, or if they even kept them since my futureshop one 'expired' at 12:50

MercuryLS

Banned

Zero line ups for me, 3 games. Online reserve ftw.

FluxWaveZ

Got to Best Buy at around 9:15 or 9:20 AM, got my games there at around 9:50 AM.

Got to Future Shop at around 9:55 or 10:00 AM, got my games there at around 3:30 PM. The line's size was a bit larger than Best Buy's, but their process for giving folks their games took so much longer than BB's and they had most of those waiting in line actually waiting outside until they let people in after freezing for about 1-2 hours.

Those at the Future Shop also didn't really give a shit when it came to the rules, so a single person could trade how many games they wanted for the same amount of games (just had to be different versions). So one person could trade 4 games for a PS3 and 360 copy of BF4 and a PS3 and 360 copy of CoD, for example.

Doesn't seem like either store cared about reservations, but I didn't call to confirm mine so I'm not certain.

Tiktaalik

How so? Other than them not letting me pick up at ispu? And how I think I saw two separate lines.

Ditch the acronyms I have no idea what you're talking about.

Reason's its a f up:
1. No separate reserve line
2. Not enough clerks. As of like a half hour ago there's still 200+ folks in line according to this thread.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
well keep us posted cause i reserved two for my wife and one for me at Cambie.

are they enforcing 1 trade per customer there?

No idea if they enforce it at Cambie, but BB Metro AND FS Robson enforced it, so I'd assume they enforce it at BB Cambie too unless you call and hear otherwise. I'll probably aim to be back there at like 6pm, lines should be gone by then.

Sounds like Cambie has been a gong show. No one else fucked this up except them.

I don't understand how both Cambie and Metro can still have 200+ people lineups. If they did it properly, there shouldn't be any games left for non-reservations. I think both locations are a mess.

Reason's its a f up:
2. Not enough clerks. As of like a half hour ago there's still 200+ folks in line according to this thread.

ISPU = in-store pickups, so... reserved.

Agreed. Lineup at Cambie is 200+, lineup at Metro is "at capacity", which I'm gonna take as 200+ too.

Sora_N

Reason's its a f up:

Sorry in store pickup.

Still a line? What the fuck

Napophis

First 10-12 ppl at my FF got however many games they wanted, than some guy showed up complaining that he didn't get anything and started asking the guy behind me for a game, dude said no. Then he went to the manager complained, and that was the end of that, manager came around checking everyone's haul, making sure they only had 1 copy.

hey maybe one of you guys know this when you pre ordered a xbox one from ebgames does it tell you if you have the day one edition or regular edition?

Top Bottom