• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 3: Pining for the Good Old Days Edition

DrEvil

not a medical professional
whoa ok well I guess I might as well try that tomorrow.

Granted, I know the management, so I don't know if this is normal procedure or not.. but I'm not complaining, and I'd suggest trying before they pull any promos as a result of today's mess.

Dazzler

Just out of bb cambie, picked up a reserved bf4. In and out in 30 minutes, stock levels very low

Some guy got salty with them for not having Xbox bf4. Chill out bro

Sora_N

Just out of bb cambie, picked up a reserved bf4. In and out in 30 minutes, stock levels very low

Some guy got salty with them for not having Xbox bf4. Chill out bro

I wish I had that kind of timing, I left UBC at 4 (class) and got there around 4:45ish, I didn't finish until like 6:30. Just glad I got my AC4.

Done at Metro, now onto Cambie!

How was the line? Metro never called me about my reservation. I'm heading out shortly for there.

DrEvil

Why, what did he say?

probably something like "I was told you'd have free games, even though I have zero right to demand for, or complain about one, I will still argue in a very loud tone at your perceived incompetence. It is not my fault I got here at 9pm and refused to wait in your line while stock was plentiful this morning, so I politely ask that you go in the back and print me a copy of the game post-haste, sir. If you do not, I will ask to speak with management on the subject of your employment."

Or you know, something more like

"AURGHASIHTWANTAFREEGAMEANDYOUDBETTERGETMEONENOWORILLBLOWUPTHESTOREWHATDOYOUMEANITSNOTHERETHEINTERNETSAIDITSFREEASUHGISHLGDFGHDFLIGH"

Gadirok

probably something like "I was told you'd have free games, even though I have zero right to demand for, or complain about one, I will still argue in a very loud tone at your perceived incompetence. It is not my fault I got here at 9pm and refused to wait in your line while stock was plentiful this morning, so I politely ask that you go in the back and print me a copy of the game post-haste, sir. If you do not, I will ask to speak with management on the subject of your employment."

Or you know, something more like

"AURGHASIHTWANTAFREEGAMEANDYOUDBETTERGETMEONENOWORILLBLOWUPTHESTOREWHATDOYOUMEANITSNOTHERETHEINTERNETSAIDITSFREEASUHGISHLGDFGHDFLIGH"

I honestly think a lot of people must have flipped out today at these stores.

It must have sucked for the employees. Must have been a very stressful environment too.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I wish I had that kind of timing, I left UBC at 4 (class) and got there around 4:45ish, I didn't finish until like 6:30. Just glad I got my AC4.

How was the line? Metro never called me about my reservation. I'm heading out shortly for there.

They literally JUST ran out of their last non-reserved game (360 COD) 10mins ago. It took me about 45mins of lining up , so it'll quiet down even more now and should be 30mins tops. They said multiple times they kept ALL preorders.

Sora_N

They literally JUST ran out of their last non-reserved game (360 COD) 10mins ago. It took me about 45mins of lining up , so it'll quiet down even more now and should be 30mins tops. They said multiple times they kept ALL preorders.

I wonder if they'll let me pick up both my games lol. They never called me to say I can only trade in 1? I'll take CoD only if they won't let me have both. (I ISPU'd AC4 and CoD)

Dazzler

It must have sucked for the employees. Must have been a very stressful environment too.

I don't get it. Did people assume they'd be in and out with a free game in two minutes?

It was bound to require a little patience

Smiley90

I wonder if they'll let me pick up both my games lol. They never called me to say I can only trade in 1? I'll take CoD only if they won't let me have both. (I ISPU'd AC4 and CoD)

You can only pick up one, they were enforcing it when I was there.

Tsundere

Banned
I noticed they had stacks of 360 games left when I finished getting my games (11am this morning), but the PS3 games sold out quite quickly.

DrEvil

oh they did, the girl at bestbuy tonight was saying she had strep throat and had a number of people flip out at her because she wasn't able to quickly explain why they could only get one game.

And that they had to turn around people who would keep coming back in the store and demanding to get multiple copies of the same game..

The other employees started telling me some more stories about the day, and the abuse they were getting on the phone.

It's funny how much they opened up to us right at close to the people smart enough to reserve and avoid the insanity :)

Does Future Shop have the 18 years age requirement for trading in games, or is 17 good enough?

Pretty sure it's 16 in Ontario... as long as you have a license/photo id.

OH, and I almost forgot the most rage inducing thing I saw today.. when we were at bestbuy earlier in the day, there was a guy ahead of us that had a STACK of reservation receipts, and it was him and two friends.. he had to have like, 30 pages there.. I would have loved to have been there when he tried to redeem them.

Gadirok

OH, and I almost forgot the most rage inducing thing I saw today.. when we were at bestbuy earlier in the day, there was a guy ahead of us that had a STACK of reservation receipts, and it was him and two friends.. he had to have like, 30 pages there.. I would have loved to have been there when he tried to redeem them.

Man, what the fuck is wrong with Futureshop. They should have stuck with the limit of 1 trade in per person.

30 reservations... like what the fuck. Guy must have made a fortune off those and that could have gone to the people who came in looking for a copy themselves but got rejected.

-Deimos

Pretty sure it's 18 in Ontario, or whatever the age for rated M games are. Either way, I didn't see them asking for ID and they never asked me for mine.

Man, what the fuck is wrong with Futureshop. They should have stuck with the limit of 1 trade in per person.

30 reservations... like what the fuck. Guy must have made a fortune off those and that could have gone to the people who came in looking for a copy themselves but got rejected.

They wouldn't allow multiple trade-ins. Max 3 if they had copies to spare and only 1 otherwise. The guy probably flipped when they told him he had to pay for the other 29 copies.

Gadirok

Pretty sure it's 18 in Ontario, or whatever the age for rated M games are. Either way, I didn't see them asking for ID and they never asked me for mine.

They asked me for mines, but I think it might have had to do with checking if my name aligned with the reservation information as they asked for my phone number as well and she quickly handed it back to me.

Smiley90

Lol well that's fine, they should have called me though? I could let someone else have AC4. Oh well, one extra game for people who come tomorrow.

The Cambie store didn't call me either, so......... They better have my game anyway.

I think they were just too busy to call and/or stopped caring.

Gadirok

Lol well that's fine, they should have called me though? I could let someone else have AC4. Oh well, one extra game for people who come tomorrow.

lol, if someone stands in line for the unclaimed ISPUs tomorrow morning, I hope they bring an umbrella especially if they do this in the GTA. Its going to be pretty chilly too.

-Deimos

They asked me for mines, but I think it might have had to do with checking if my name aligned with the reservation information as they asked for my phone number as well and she quickly handed it back to me.

Must've been because I was picking up my copy while the line up was still there. Checking ID's?
post-6769-aint-nobody-got-time-for-that-tfIL.gif

woromatt

Neo Member
I work at Edmonton South and we had a line going around the store from when I got in at 11 until I left a 7. It did not let up at all and I felt so bad for the Customer Service guys who had to do the trade ins. Like our customer service area was literally flooded with used games haha

Gadirok

Must've been because I was picking up my copy while the line up was still there. Checking ID's?
post-6769-aint-nobody-got-time-for-that-tfIL.gif

They definitely took quite a while with my process though. More than 3 minutes on the computer and she spent a while digging for my copy of AC4 until she realized it was like the first copy at the bottom of the pile.

But yeah, I imagine that this morning must have been really terrible. I wouldn't have the patience to wait in line like that, with no guarantee of getting my copy of the game or not if I didn't have a reservation.

-Deimos

Anyone know if BB/FS still accepts these games for trade in, or is EB the only place?

I think it's too early to tell.

They definitely took quite a while with my process though. More than 3 minutes on the computer and she spent a while digging for my copy of AC4 until she realized it was like the first copy at the bottom of the pile.

But yeah, I imagine that this morning must have been really terrible. I wouldn't have the patience to wait in line like that, with no guarantee of getting my copy of the game or not if I didn't have a reservation.
The only reason I stood there for FIVE hours was because I heard they were giving out 3 games to each person and by the time we got the front, they announced that they had almost run out of games and went back to giving only one. We were already at the front so we waited the last hour but they decided to screw us over even more and told us our other 2 reservations weren't in the pile and we walked out with 1 COD. They better have leftover copies tomorrow morning D:<

TheExodu5

Banned
Just as a heads up, it seems that EB will be setting up two lines for the PS4 launch. One line will be for Edge Platinum members and they will be served before anyone else.

Seville

So, got all 3 games that I wanted. Pretty damn good deal I say. Downtown BB was packed at 9:40AM when i got there but it was decent as they gave out some swag. Others were pretty good as well if you had reserves as they let you cut to get your copy. All in all, 10/10. Hopefully everyone got something and my 3 games will be given to family members :)

Duji

1426519_10202574468662461_1326871944_n.jpg

This kind of thing used to make me furious. Truly.

Then I realized that many if not most of the people that do this kind of thing have pretty pathetic existences. Don't get me wrong, I still think they are amoral fuckers but I don't necessarily want them to "die in a fire" anymore lol. They're most likely living lives that are torturous enough.

This isn't even humanly possible for 1 person to get that many copies in one day using this deal alone. Stop and think about it.

Smiley90

They only had one person working the desk when I was there

one person

There are 2 people now. And one of the two has a broken computer so he has to ask for his manager's password override every 2nd game.

Yeah it's slow.

Top Bottom