• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 3: Pining for the Good Old Days Edition

Quadratic

Think there might be something left for Sunday? Probably will go see Enders Game and check out one of the stores if they have anything left. Maybe unclaimed reserves.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Skytrain shutdown partially due to "medical emergency" (aka suicide) too, BB employees aren't the only one having to deal with crowds tonight...

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Did anyone have a chance to confirm whether or not you pay tax on the 10 dollars or on the 60 dollars if you do the upgrade at EB?

The next time I'm even close to one will probably be on Monday.

Jinto

Heard about this deal last night and didn't really think anything of it, since the only game I was really interested in was AC4, and I didn't really feel like trading any of my games anyway.

This morning, I go to take my nieces out for lunch, because one of them is having a birthday in a couple of days. Anyways, at my sister's house, I see a couple karaoke games and such for PS3 that they outgrew, so I figure why not drive there and give it a shot. There was 3 of us, so it made sense to trade these games nobody plays for each one. I drive by the Future Shop near there and the line was massive. Forget that noise. I'm not waiting in line for any amount of time on my nieces b'day.

On the way back a couple of hours ago, we pass by Future Shop again. Sure enough, no line ups, but all they had was COD left. Well, 3 copies of Ghosts is still better than Singstar, American Idol, and American Idol 2.

So what do I do with my extra copies of COD? Can I really trade them back to Future Shop? EB games? I'm sorta new to this stuff...

Lexxism

Did anyone have a chance to confirm whether or not you pay tax on the 10 dollars or on the 60 dollars if you do the upgrade at EB?

Here you go.

I traded in my PS3 COD:Ghosts for the PS4 version this afternoon. I was only charged $11.30. According to the EB rep, the PS4 versions of AC4 and BF4 won't be available until Tuesday.

Jo-El

The manager at the EB I was at today said it was on the 10 dollars.

Edit: Too slow

Guitarmy

Banned

The page on the EB site says the cost to the customer will be $9.99 before tax, where applicable.

vulva

Heard about this deal last night and didn't really think anything of it, since the only game I was really interested in was AC4, and I didn't really feel like trading any of my games anyway.

This morning, I go to take my nieces out for lunch, because one of them is having a birthday in a couple of days. Anyways, at my sister's house, I see a couple karaoke games and such for PS3 that they outgrew, so I figure why not drive there and give it a shot. There was 3 of us, so it made sense to trade these games nobody plays for each one. I drive by the Future Shop near there and the line was massive. Forget that noise. I'm not waiting in line for any amount of time on my nieces b'day.

On the way back a couple of hours ago, we pass by Future Shop again. Sure enough, no line ups, but all they had was COD left. Well, 3 copies of Ghosts is still better than Singstar, American Idol, and American Idol 2.

So what do I do with my extra copies of COD? Can I really trade them back to Future Shop? EB games? I'm sorta new to this stuff...

Maybe give them as gifts?

Either way, good on you for putting your niece first.

Gadirok

Brampton Trinity. They were giving out one of each game to a single person but ran out of stock with 100 or so people left in line. The guy in front of me got the last copy. I still got my reservation but my brother's didn't pull through so we ended up sitting in line for one measly game. Hopefully there'll be leftover copies tomorrow morning from people who didn't pick up their pre-orders.

Edit: To clarify about multiple games: Yes, people at FS were walking out with 3 games each. One AC, one COD and one BF4. At around 4pm they limited to the original advertised one per customer.

Speaking of Brampton Trinity, MikeyJr's image was crazy. I totally forgot about this deal and was out watching movies with friends yesterday.

I kept telling everyone on RFD yesterday morning that it was too good to be true. But I had placed a reserve on 1 copy of AC4 back in the wee moments before the deal even broke out.

So today, to my surprise when I realized that this actually happened. That they actually went through with it, I knew my reserve was long gone and had already expired. Regardless, I drove up to check Brampton Trinity if they had my copy left. Surprisingly they did.

And funny enough, it was the only copy they had in the glass covering so I had to go through the other checkout booth to get them to clear it and open the copy. I must have been like the first guy to reserve it, but i ended up walking out with my copy of AC4: black flag.

I'm still a major AC fan but wouldn't pay that much for AC4, so I'm glad it worked out. My brother was extremely pleased with what I came home with, as hes a bigger fan than me and instantly grabbed first play on it.

But yeah, MAJOR MAJOR pile of traded in garbage games at FS. I took a photo but am having trouble uploading it (it was quite shaky anyways) I got my copy at like 7pm as well (went pretty late) but it was the largest pile of turds I had ever seen. Mostly all 360 games, not surprised.

They were only taking reserved games at the time (in line) so I felt pretty bad for the people getting turned away.

Best trade in deal of all time though. I had my doubts, but I can't believe they went forward with it.

Jinto

Maybe give them as gifts?

Either way, good on you for putting your niece first.

Yeah, everyone who wanted this game got in on this deal, or know about it, so not the best gift to give. Sorta like giving a birthday gift you got to someone else for Christmas. lol

Can I really trade these games back to Future Shop though? Doesn't make sense to me that they would accept.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Here you go.
The manager at the EB I was at today said it was on the 10 dollars.

Edit: Too slow
The page on the EB site says the cost to the customer will be $9.99 before tax, where applicable.
Awesome. :)

And you know, maybe I'm just salty about hoarders and flippers, but I hope EVERYONE knows about this promo and low balls any offers for CoD/BF/AC on Craigslist and Kijiji.

I would almost want to try to "buy" a game from one of these jerks and show up with 20 dollars in pennies just to fuck with the guy.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
There's STILL A LINEUP at BB kingsway.

Fucking LOL.

EDIT: wow they're using the SAME COUNTER FOR REGULAR CUSTOMERS as for promo traders. Wow BB. You suck.

I feel so bad for customers that are shoppin normally having to use the same line. Wowz

-Deimos

Wow you just strolled in and got THREE copies without waiting? Where was this?

But yeah, MAJOR MAJOR pile of traded in garbage games at FS. I took a photo but am having trouble uploading it (it was quite shaky anyways) I got my copy at like 7pm as well (went pretty late) but it was the largest pile of turds I had ever seen. Mostly all 360 games, not surprised.

They were only taking reserved games at the time (in line) so I felt pretty bad for the people getting turned away.

Best trade in deal of all time though. I had my doubts, but I can't believe they went forward with it.
I was actually surprised at how small that pile was considering the amount of people who traded in.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
Got all three games (four, actually)

Got Bf4 for Xbox 360, BF4 for PS3, AC4 for PS3 and CODG for PS3.

Did futureshop this morning at 10am, and about an hour and a bit later they let in people who had reserves, so I got to leave the main line and got out of there by like 11:30.. it was nice. that's where I got BF4 360 and CODG PS3.

The futureshop was sold out of almost everything by 11:30 that wasn't reserved.

Went to bestbuy and it was a shit show (See the pic I posted in the other thread), crazy long line (like, 4 hours wait.. they had TWO tills open, that's it.).. so I asked if they were honoring reserves and they said they'd hold them until 9pm.

We waited in line ANYWAY until about 1pm, but we barely moved.. all the while the intercom guy kept coming on telling people what games were out of stock.. by the time we left all they had was PS3 COD, and NO ONE left line.. its insane.

So we left and ended up returning to best buy at 8:50, and picked up our games. Girl there said they were out of EVERYTHING (except for the reserves that expired in 10 mins), and that they weren't gonna get restocked.

Turns out the Best Buy was allowing people to get one of each (they'd allow three trades from the same person, as long as the games redeemed were different.. you couldnt get a COD PS3 and COD xbox, for example...) Seems like BB was bending the rules a bit.

I don't blame them, though. The faster they're out of stock, the sooner they don't have to deal with this anymore.

So, I went to the EB across the way, and having worked there years ago, I still knew most of the staff. They upgraded my COD:G, Battlefield 360, and AC4 to the next gen versions FREE. Didn't have to pay the 9$.. Probably because my games were all still sealed.

Ended up giving the manager my copy of Battlefield 4 PS3 because they had to leave best buy line in order to get to work, so they were very happy.. and I didn't mind since they saved me $30 in upgrades.

So now I'm sitting with PS4 copies of COD:Ghost, Assassin's Creed 4, and an Xbox One copy of Battlefield 4.

Didn't cost me a cent.

Good day, and worth it.

The games are on the current trade 2 for a 60$ gift card. It says no duplicate, but I have been able to do it when I was receiving free games from work. Depending on the employe, they might let you do it!

Jinto

Wow you just strolled in and got THREE copies without waiting? Where was this?

Ya, sorry meant to say Best Buy on my way back. Best Buy North Edmonton. The dude at the door just put a sticker on all our used games and told us that there was only a few copies of COD for PS3 left. Went to the counter and there was maybe 15 or so. A couple of people lined up behind us, but pretty much in and out.

DrEvil

You'll be paying the tax on $9.99, as EB trade-in credit is non-taxable, so it eats the cost of the extra HST... at least in Ontario.

Jinto

The games are on the current trade 2 for a 60$ gift card. It says no duplicate, but I have been able to do it when I was receiving free games from work. Depending on the employe, they might let you do it!

Wow, have no idea how this makes any sense, but cool, thanks! I'll give it a shot.

-Deimos

Ya, sorry meant to say Best Buy on my way back. Best Buy North Edmonton. The dude at the door just put a sticker on all our used games and told us that there was only a few copies of COD for PS3 left. Went to the counter and there was maybe 15 or so. A couple of people lined up behind us, but pretty much in and out.

Ah man, you don't even know how lucky you are lol.

Seems like BB was bending the rules a bit.

It wasn't just them. A bunch of Futureshops were giving away all three games including mine. They were completely wiped by 4 and had only reserved in stock.

L3E2

Shout out to whoever mentioned reserving copies online because without that me and my friends would never have gotten all 3 games. Ended up waiting in line for maybe 2.5 hours at 3 different stores so not too bad.

Went to futureshop this morning and didn't expect it to be so packed. I thought I was special because I reserved a copy of COD there so I ducked out of the line just to ask an employee if I had to wait in line. I don't even know what I expected to happen but the girl just smiled and asked for my name and went to the back to grab my game. My friends seen that this happened and rushed over to pick up their reservations as well. After this a couple more people tried but a manager came and said that we were supposed to wait in line like everyone else since we were trading in games to pick up our reservations. Hopefully I didn't get that girl in trouble she was really nice.

Thought going to the best buy 2 minutes away would be just as easy but we had to wait in line about 2 hours. It actually went by pretty quick though, making friends in line with gamers with a sense of humor made it go by so much quicker.

Third futureshop we were told there were only 80 copies of games left and maybe 200 people in the store. No one wanted to budge holding onto the thought that they'd be the lucky someone who would get the last copy. Luckily I had a reservation and the manager working told us just to come back later even though 24 hours passed. Honestly I was a bit hesitant thinking that they'd give it away to someone else but I really didn't want to wait in line for another 2 hours or so.

Seeing that picture of a hoarder grabbing that many copies disgusts me. I'm kind of curious to check rfd to see, but I think that would only make me angry. I checked out kijiji earlier to see how many people would be selling games and that really makes me laugh how flooded the market is going to be for these games. I wonder how many people are going to regret waiting in line for a couple of hours of their day, holding onto games that they'll never be able to get rid of, or get rid of for low prices.

Gadirok

It wasn't a carnival of stupid if you knew what you were doing.

Exactly. I drove in about 2 hours ago. Walked into FS and went to CSR where people had turds in their hands, waited 10 minutes, told them my information (waiting another good 5 minutes for the process) and walked out with AC4 with trading in my greatest hits copy of Ratchet and Clank: Tools of Destruction (that was glitchy and ran terribly on my PS3 for some reason).

I only waited 15 minutes too, so it was awesome. Surpised they kept my reserved copy.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Seeing that picture of a hoarder grabbing that many copies disgusts me. I'm kind of curious to check rfd to see, but I think that would only make me angry. I checked out kijiji earlier to see how many people would be selling games and that really makes me laugh how flooded the market is going to be for these games. I wonder how many people are going to regret waiting in line for a couple of hours of their day, holding onto games that they'll never be able to get rid of, or get rid of for low prices.
This is my hope. Both the classifieds market crashes with no one willing to pay more than 10-20 bucks and EBGames crashes the TIV of the games ASAP.

The Best Buy and Futureshop were not swamped at all, it was uber easy for me to get my reserved AC4 and Ghosts Wii U at both.

Sure paid to wait until mid-afternoon, they did say it was crowded earlier at both.

And of course no versions of any of the three games were on shelves, I checked both.

-Deimos

Exactly. I drove in about 2 hours ago. Walked into FS and went to CSR where people had turds in their hands, waited 10 minutes, told them my information (waiting another good 5 minutes for the process) and walked out with AC4 with trading in my greatest hits copy of Ratchet and Clank: Tools of Destruction (that was glitchy and ran terribly on my PS3 for some reason).

I only waited 15 minutes too, so it was awesome. Surpised they kept my reserved copy.
You went to Brampton Trinity right? Was there still a line there when you got your copy? We tried getting to the front of the line with our reservations but they wouldn't allow it.

Gadirok

Well its clear that the TIV for these three games are going to crash anyways. It wouldn't make sense otherwise if they kept it on the TIVs list. Its so easy to abuse for the people who got greedy and took more than 1 unit at each store.

Gadirok

You went to Brampton Trinity right? Was there still a line there when you got your copy? We tried getting to the front of the line with our reservations but they wouldn't allow it.

I went at 7pm. I was completely clueless too, but I noticed a small line at the customer service desk with people that were holding turds and I realized what it was. It was only about, maybe 10 people and they were only doing it for reserves.

There was a person putting a label on each turd you gave them with your name on it, and she kept informing the next person in line they were only doing reserves.

DrEvil

So, some fun anecdotal stories:

1) BestBuy was cleaned out, so was Futureshop.. Neither are getitng Restocked AT ALL throughout the weekend.. so MAYBE on Monday, but they might not even bother opening the boxes just to avoid the stupidity.

Best Buy people were still getting phone calls asking if they still had games, or "why are you sold out?" or "Can I still get a free game?" etc.

Earlier today, someone MISSED AN EXAM, because of waiting in line for 3 hours. He spent that time studying.

2) Futureshop line was great, lots of nice people.. Apparently all the same age as me which was insane (I'm 28), and we all separately knew the same person from high school (we were from 3 different highschools).. so that was kinda fun. As I said above, futureshop was running out of stock by 11:30, and when I mentioned reservations they all looked at me like I was crazy.. when I got to skip line, they were like 'lucky bastard!'. and I was out of there before they even got in the store.

3) After I picked up my game, futureshop called me and asked if I had been in already.. I said yes, and they informed me I had apparently reserved SIX COPIES of each game.. to which I said No, I did not. And they asked if they could release them since they needed the stock.. I said absolutely, I did not reserve that many.

Obviously there was some insane cock-up on the website that went insane with reserves.. even though I only got the one email with the proper reserved items... no idea what happened there.

4) EB Games got a TON of tradeins today on the three titles (duh).. and a lot of upgrade requests/tradeins... Like, a stupid amount. Hundreds.

I have a feeling EB may cancel the $30 trade credit or $10 upgrade very very quick, because they stand to lose more money than FS did today... so do your disc upgrades TOMORROW, because come monday things may change.

Gadirok

4) EB Games got a TON of tradeins today on the three titles (duh).. and a lot of upgrade requests/tradeins... Like, a stupid amount. Hundreds.

I have a feeling EB may cancel the $30 trade credit or $10 upgrade very very quick, because they stand to lose more money than FS did today... so do your disc upgrades TOMORROW, because come monday things may change.

I would be surprised if they actually kept the deal going. People have been talking about it on RFD, like alot.

Personally, I plan to keep my 1 copy of AC: Black flag as I am just going to do the digital upgrade and see no benefit in getting a physical copy when my PS3 disc is just going to be used as a key for a digital copy of the PS4 version.

But I expect the TIVs of these games to effectively crash, and boy these were some of the biggest sellers of this holiday season. Retailers will still sell them at$59.99 but I will be surprised if anyone accepts more than $10 for a copy of any of these by Tuesday.

Gadirok

I managed to snag a copy of Ghosts today for my little brother but I really wanted Battlefield. Goddamn it.

Better than nothing still, which is what alot of people on here seem to have come out with who didn't do reserves.

If that they actually went forward with the deal sooner, I would have likely reserved a copy of Battlefield 4 and CoD:Ghosts myself. My friend was pretty bummed out when I told him about the deal. Said he doesn't have time to go to it anyways. But I don't think he was too interested.

But yeah, free is free.

There's STILL A LINEUP at BB kingsway.

Fucking LOL.

EDIT: wow they're using the SAME COUNTER FOR REGULAR CUSTOMERS as for promo traders. Wow BB. You suck.

I feel so bad for customers that are shoppin normally having to use the same line. Wowz

Heading to Cambie? I may see you there.

I wish they did Batman AO instead of BF4 so I could've gotten that on Wii U as well, but I can see why they did. :p

Also the Wii U version is cheaper, maybe that could've been excluded anyway?

Lexxism

Well, you can only upgrade the COD for now since BF4 and AC4 will only be available on Tuesday. Also, I doubt they will remove the $10 upgrade since it's being run by the publisher and not by EBgames themselves(I think).

Gadirok

And then there's the people who had a reservation and still got nothing :x

/still bitter

That honestly sucks.

I'm glad they didn't give away my copy of AC4, but I expected them to. By the time I got there, it was well past 24 hours ( I reserved back at 3:43pm yesterday as I left the office) and thought this whole deal would turn into a backlash with everyone suing Futureshop and the guy who posted the original Article.

Honestly, when I got there if they told me they gave it away, I would be bummed but they had every right to since it had been past 24 hours. But I lucked out I guess.

I would have been majorly pissed off if they had given it out before 24 hours though. They should have give you some compensation.

LkPr

Anyone think EB Games is going to drop the $10 upgrade from current gen to next gen games promotion they currently have due to all these games flooding the market?? I plan on doing it tomorrow with COD and BF4 I just hope they still let me.

EDIT: apparently this have been asked/answered lol. But it is true that they won't do this for BF4 until Tuesday? So they won't allow you to pre-order it?

a916

I don't think I'm going to wait for EB to pull that offer... I'd rather be safe than sorry and just trade it in now.

Tiktaalik

From my understanding disc upgrades on AC4 and BF4 not possible until Tuesday?

Gadirok

Anyone think EB Games is going to drop the $10 upgrade from current gen to next gen games promotion they currently have due to all these games flooding the market?? I plan on doing it tomorrow with COD and BF4 I just hope they still let me.

Well, if they do theres still always the digital upgrade available through PS4 which I think is better IMO since I still get to play between PS3 and PS4 (I'm only playing AC4 so I'm more into it for the singplayer and getting trophies between the two).

I guess the TIV is better for a physical PS4 copy but I personally don't plan to trade or sell my copy away just yet.

Plus the PS4 cases look ugly in comparison to PS3 IMO.

DrEvil

Well, you can only upgrade the COD for now since BF4 and AC4 will only be available on Tuesday. Also, I doubt they will remove the $10 upgrade since it's being run by the publisher and not by EBgames themselves(I think).

Mine got upgraded to preorders, so yes, I've got COD in hand, but legit preorders for the other two.

Top Bottom