• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 3: Pining for the Good Old Days Edition

I was able to upgrade my PS3 BF4 and AC4 to PS4 no problem. Is the Cambie EB location the only one giving people trouble?

I wonder if it's a local problem or if I got lucky and there was a corporate memo that the clerks at my store missed.

It's isolated problems. The rule is that people can upgrade without a receipt.

sikkinixx

EB managed to wring an extra $15 out of me. Shipping tomorrow it sounds like so it wouldn't arrive until next Wednesday. This way I should get it Friday. Last time I use them for day of stuff, Futureshop always handles it much better,

I was able to upgrade my PS3 BF4 and AC4 to PS4 no problem. Is the Cambie EB location the only one giving people trouble?

I wonder if it's a local problem or if I got lucky and there was a corporate memo that the clerks at my store missed.

God damnit, I was about to head to the Cambie location after work. I am NOT in the mood for dealing with that crap

Grimsen

I said to the guy that it doesn't mention a receipt on your site and he said 'I'm the manager and I'm telling you, you require a receipt'

If it were me, I'd get his name and file a written complaint to their head office. I'd also call for speedier assistance and find a way to get that EB's District Manager to approve the trade at that specific store, just to piss off that manager, who is cleary losing potential profit by not applying corporate directives.

Dazzler

I'm pretty pissed they wouldn't honour it, I used my lunch break to go over there and I had no further time to start calling customer service and stay on hold while it was sorted

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Does anybody know how much EB is giving for launch 60GB PS3s that are still working?

How much are you hoping to get for it? Where so you live? You could find out what they will give you and then shoot me a message. My backwards compatible one kicked the bucket long ago.

Use the receipt from the copy you bought in store.

I said to the guy that it doesn't mention a receipt on your site and he said 'I'm the manager and I'm telling you, you require a receipt'

That's when you make them call their Canadian main line or office(not sure). Manager was either a douche-bag or was just misinformed.

give that line a call 1(877) 442-6303, just to confirm, and so the customer service rep can tell you where you should make the manager call.

I'm pretty pissed they wouldn't honour it, I used my lunch break to go over there and I had no further time to start calling customer service and stay on hold while it was sorted

LOL. Go back and call the support line while in the store. Tell them to call the store and explain to the idiot that it doesn't require a receipt.

Got a call from th Yonge and Dundas EB. Apparently they've got 314 orders, I'm guessing it's gonna be a madhouse. Even though I've had a preorder there since the week after E3, they want $15 from me for their edge platinum card so I can stand in the 'we deal with you first' line.

I'm seriously thinking of giving in just so I don't have to stand in line behind all the campers until 2am.

Also wasted my lunchbreak going to the Cambie one. You might have been the guy ahead of me Dazzler. I feel pretty annoyed but at the same time, we already got a pretty amazing deal and I don't blame EB for not wanting to lose money on entitled people like us.

Also wasted my lunchbreak going to the Cambie one. You might have been the guy ahead of me Dazzler. I feel pretty annoyed but at the same time, we already got a pretty amazing deal and I don't blame EB for not wanting to lose money on entitled people like us.

Not wanting to is moot, it's a policy. It's not like he's personally losing money out of pocket by being a prick like this. Why does he care what they do and don't accept?

Screw entitled. I didn't bother with this deal as I wasn't interested in standing in line but you guys should get what they are advertising. NO WHERE on their online documentation does it state that you require a receipt. This is something that I hope folks don't roll over on. EB is a retailer that consistently gets away with shitty practices like this.

Dazzler

small, white European guy?

If so, that's me :)

Like I'm not one to kick up a stink at retail about things, I'll leave that to the hoarders, but it was hard not to be annoyed

You guys going to the Cambie location might want to call corporate in mass.

Also, is there no other location in the area?

Tola

Neo Member
Heads up anyone in Vancouver, eb games at cambie won't do the next gen upgrade without a receipt. Asked to speak to manager, he was pretty firm on it

Was able to do it at Metrotown EB at lunch. The only fuss was them trying to figure out how to do the upgrade with my pre-order.

Edit: FYI, the copy of AC4 I traded in was from the FS deal over the weekend, so no receipt except from my pre-order at EB...

Tiktaalik

First the bizarre mishandling of the line at the Cambie Best Buy on Saturday and now this? Is there a gas leak on Cambie Street that is making every retailer stupid?

Dazzler

First the bizarre mishandling of the line at the Cambie Best Buy on Saturday and now this? Is there a gas leak on Cambie Street that is making every retailer stupid?

I've shot the shit with the staff in there before and they always seemed pretty nice, but I got the vibe that they've been dealing with this all morning and are fed up with it

xanavi

I ran into resistance at my local EB as well; they told me they didn't have internet access when I asked them to show me where it states I need an EB receipt on the website. I ended up having the manager dial the customer support line for me and while I was on hold he came back saying he had called another location and that they would honour it. It seems like there is some confusion going around, with district managers saying one thing and head offices changing the script. Ultimately I walked out with my PS4 copy so for everyone coming in to upgrade after me you're welcome.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Damnit! I'm in Vancouver so mine ships on Thursday I'm guessing... there goes the possibility of somehow lucking out and getting it early.

Ottawa here, guessing it's gonna be Thursday for me too with my BB order(based on that one day shipping page, which is the same for both FS and BB).

veras

Looking at it right now, worth doing instead of my amazon.ca order?

Maybe just do both and see which one charges first?

This is what I just did, pretty annoyed with Amazon.ca jerking around with the shipping so placed a BB order. If they manage to ship it out first, I'll just cancel the Amazon one (or if they somehow both ship at the same time I'll just return or resell the BB one).

Sora_N

That store used to be good, I never shop there anymore after this caucasian guy named Jake was being an asshole.I actually spoke to a manager on the phone about it and complained, and he didn't get fired or in trouble. I had to go with my friend for GTA midnight launch and he was still working there, but other than that I never went back in there since.

That doesn't give them the right to set policy.

Yep - it frustrates me that the attitudes at some of these places seems to dictate their policies. For the record, I'm not at all a difficult customer to deal with. I have a long background in retail work and totally sympathize with people that have to deal with jerks. You don't have to be an arsehole to get what you want. I rarely get attitude but, when I do, I ask for the manager. That doesn't work? I ask for the regional manager's contact information.

I tried to call customer service just now about Cambie, but I had to get back to work after a few minutes on hold. If anyone has a spare few minutes, feel free to give them a call, explain that a few people have been shut down, and ask if they can just cal Cambie and explain the promo to them.

I think I already mentioned this anecdote in this thread, but I went to Cambie EB to upgrade COD:G to the PS4 version two days ago, and I was told it was $15. I then came back a few minutes later and showed them the EB website on my smart phone where it says $9.99 and the employee (not the manager) overrode it.

Maybe that would work?

I ran into resistance at my local EB as well; they told me they didn't have internet access when I asked them to show me where it states I need an EB receipt on the website. I ended up having the manager dial the customer support line for me and while I was on hold he came back saying he had called another location and that they would honour it. It seems like there is some confusion going around, with district managers saying one thing and head offices changing the script. Ultimately I walked out with my PS4 copy so for everyone coming in to upgrade after me you're welcome.

there you go.
Anyone else at cambie with those problems just do what he did.

Not at all, I figure I'll just preorder with them too and then cancel whichever charges/ships first.... I need it for this weekend.

I really don't think these PS4 from BB will ship before 15th so they won't be at your place for the weekend, heck it it says arriving on warehouses on the 15th.

Adr1an

Looking at it right now, worth doing instead of my amazon.ca order?

Maybe just do both and see which one charges first?

Yep its what i did.

Although i can no longer cancel the bestbuy order. So that might be a good sign that they are charging/shipping soon.

Appleman

This is what I just did, pretty annoyed with Amazon.ca jerking around with the shipping so placed a BB order. If they manage to ship it out first, I'll just cancel the Amazon one (or if they somehow both ship at the same time I'll just return or resell the BB one).

Yep, pulled the trigger on the best buy one just now and they've already charged me for it... Fairly confident now that it will come sooner, should I cancel my Amazon one right away or just wait to see which ships? I guess I can probably just wait and if I accidentally have two I'll just return/resell one... I actually have a friend that might take it off of my hands anyways so it could all work out.

Dazzler

if anyone has any joy doing the next gen upgrade at EB Cambie please post up here. I'm def gonna go back and do it, but I'd prefer someone else to fight the good fight on my behalf :)

dreww3

Neo Member
Hey guys, so i just ordered BF4 for ps4 last week and was frantically checking this week hoping to receive it today (release date), but no update except for my status changing from "in progress" to "in stock" no email, nothing.

And then I find BF4 in the mail from FS with no email or web confirmation whatsoever..
Whatever glad it came on time, but now I'm unsure about the status of my PS4..

if anyone has any joy doing the next gen upgrade at EB Cambie please post up here. I'm def gonna go back and do it, but I'd prefer someone else to fight the good fight on my behalf :)

Haha likewise, although I may go back after work but call first to make sure and cite the website if I do.

Also no it doesn't sound like you were ahead of me as that guy was a tall asian dude :) So probably they've been turning people away all morning.

gzero

Did the same. I see BB already charged my VISA. Fingers crossed!

Oneself

Got my "upgraded" COD Ghost & AC Black Flag (both for PS4) without any hassle or anything. EB in Montréal. The manager told me "so you went to Future Shop this week-end uh? ;) " . Yup, sadly there was no BF4 left @ FS during that promo.

Haha likewise, although I may go back after work but call first to make sure and cite the website if I do.

Also no it doesn't sound like you were ahead of me as that guy was a tall asian dude :) So probably they've been turning people away all morning.

Who's the manager? Is it that white dude with the brownish hair and goatee? I think he has glasses too.

veras

Yep, BB charged me too - not cancelling Amazon quite yet, hoping for a shipping notification from BB tonight/tomorrow and I'll cancel then. Seems pretty safe to cancel Amazon though, I've never been charged for something that didn't ship imminently afterwards.

I don't want to get stuck in a situation where BB ships/arrives this week but it's too late to cancel Amazon (and it arrives next week), because returning the Amazon order would be annoying and since they scan serial numbers I don't think I could return the Amazon one to BB.

Top Bottom